Brexited | the worst threads live the longest

Do you think there will be a Deal or No Deal?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

The Purley King

I'd argue the conclusion of housing demand being an issue caused by immigration stems from a racist viewpoint in most (not all) cases. We've all heard the drunken idiot in pubs moaning about an endless list of issues caused by immigration, now is he actually moaning about the problems (that don't exist in most cases) or is it just that they know they're the only statements they can express?

It's easy for these people to hide behind such statements.
The problem of not building enough houses is exacerbated by the 200k or whatever it is net migration into the country each year (whatever Mozza says to the contrary, I've given up responding to him on that). Don't see how that could possibly be considered a racist statement, its basic economic theory.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
It's an incredibly simplistic view (which mozza is prone to, with his stream of pithy one liners) to lump all the different concerns about immigration (and all the different people expressing them) into one big, amorphous, racist bunch of people. Which is not to say that there aren't a whole load of racists in amongst that bunch of people because there obviously is.
Agreed. And I'd argue that the unwillingness of politicians to engage with the general public and have a 'grown up' debate on the subject over the last Christ knows how many years has ultimately resulted in Brexit and the growth of extreme far right politics in general.

It's counter productive to shout people down who and pigeon hole them all as racists when some of them have genuine concerns and issues that need addressing on their own merits. Dismissing people off hand will only push them further to the right.

Green_Red

That’s a very simplistic take on it. The laws of supply and demand apply when it comes to rent and the more people trying to find rental properties, the more expensive renting becomes. Which means more and more people unable to ever leave their council homes.
Not to mention that local councils in the UK have beem selling off council owned flats and apartments for the last decade to private investors, reducing the number of council housing available.

Private landlords dont take rent allowance either (for the most part).

Which has greatly exascerbated the housing crisis in thw UK. You get 4 young single / couples pooling together to rent a small 2 or 3 bedroom apartment in central London and now locals who required affordable housing are pushed out of the market.

There is a very good television series by Phil from Location Location Location all about it and also some very informative lectures by Yanis varoufakis on you tube aboht it.

Im not eve from the UK and I know that. Mozza should take his heqd out of his arse.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...g-uk-lowest-level-records-began-a8059371.html

Last edited:

Silva

Not to mention that local councils in the UK have beem selling off council owned flats and apartments for the last decade to private investors, reducing the number of council housing available.
That's mostly Thatcher's fault. The right to buy wasn't paired with any requirement to replenish the social housing stock and investment in housing then remained too low over successive government.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Mrs May has the same hairstyle as Lawro.

Mozza

It’s Carrick you know
It is finite. Space, material, money and labour are all finite resources that are crucial to housing creation. Now, it's true that the UK do not lack any of these things at the moment.
We are not running out of space any time soon, nor materials, labour problems would only be exacerbated by cutting migration. There is plenty of money to fund tax cuts and pay for wars and send to private landlords via housing benefit, redirect it

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
We are not running out of space any time soon, nor materials, labour problems would only be exacerbated by cutting migration. There is plenty of money to fund tax cuts and pay for wars and send to private landlords via housing benefit, redirect it
Where can I claim the royalties that you owe me?:p

Mozza

It’s Carrick you know
UK Government policy

Private landlords dont take rent allowance either (for the most part).

Which has greatly exascerbated the housing crisis in thw UK. You get 4 young single / couples pooling together to rent a small 2 or 3 bedroom apartment in central London and now locals who required affordable housing are pushed out of the market.
Lot of foreign money buying up property in the UK, they don't necessarily live here however, just use the housing as a way to clean money, the UK government has the power to stop it but chooses not to

There is a very good television series by Phil from Location Location Location all about it and also some very informative lectures by Yanis varoufakis on you tube aboht it.

Im not eve from the UK and I know that. Mozza should take his heqd out of his arse.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...g-uk-lowest-level-records-began-a8059371.html
Stop blaming migrants

Green_Red

UK Government policy

Lot of foreign money buying up property in the UK, they don't necessarily live here however, just use the housing as a way to clean money, the UK government has the power to stop it but chooses not to

Stop blaming migrants
Do you do childrens parties at the weekends too?

JPRouve

Scout
Feck me. Answer me this. In your opinion, is it possible for anyone to have concerns about the rate of immigration into the UK and not be a racist?
The thing is the rate isn't particularly high and it's a population that works and pay taxes. That's why while I understand how someone could bring the subject, that person should quickly realize that the problem isn't with immigration but with successive governments that have no interest in taking care of their population, nationals and immigrants.

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
The thing is the rate isn't particularly high and it's a population that works and pay taxes. That's why while I understand how someone could bring the subject, that person should quickly realize that the problem isn't with immigration but with successive governments that have no interest in taking care of their population, nationals and immigrants.
I’ve always been firmly of the opinion that immigration has a very clear net benefit for the economy but a twitter thread someone posted the other day had some interesting points about how it’s not quite that simple.

This doesn’t necessarily change my mind but it’s definitely far too complex an issue to label of anyone with any doubts as a racist. And that’s when educated people delve deep into the data. Most of the people directly affected by scarcity of resources are going to take a much more straightforward view on what’s happening and see more people arriving in an already strained environment as a potential problem that will get worse and worse over time. The worst you can say about them is that they’re poorly informed or under-educated.

Now some of them may well be racist. Calling them all racists is insulting, unnecessary and plain wrong.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
Agreed. And I'd argue that the unwillingness of politicians to engage with the general public and have a 'grown up' debate on the subject over the last Christ knows how many years has ultimately resulted in Brexit and the growth of extreme far right politics in general.

It's counter productive to shout people down who and pigeon hole them all as racists when some of them have genuine concerns and issues that need addressing on their own merits. Dismissing people off hand will only push them further to the right.
If your response to being grouped with racists is to align yourselves with racists then I'd say you were probably racist to begin with.

MoskvaRed

UK Government policy

Stop blaming migrants
You started off this thread many pages ago by saying Brexiteers don’t like people with a different skin colour. Now we are talking about recent alleged problems caused by migrants (e.g. housing) when the vast majority of migrants in recent years are white Europeans from the EU. Although clearly on the other side of the debate, you seem to be blurring the lines in the same way Farage did in conflating hostility to Muslims/non-whites with EU freedom of movement. What point are you making exactly?

Baxter

Burnley up here today in the Europa League. Quite indicative of a lot of the Brexit mob.

We voted out. Then European Tour 2018.

JPRouve

Scout
I’ve always been firmly of the opinion that immigration has a very clear net benefit for the economy but a twitter thread someone posted the other day had some interesting points about how it’s not quite that simple.

This doesn’t necessarily change my mind but it’s definitely far too complex an issue to label of anyone with any doubts as a racist. And that’s when educated people delve deep into the data. Most of the people directly affected by scarcity of resources are going to take a much more straightforward view on what’s happening and see more people arriving in an already strained environment as a potential problem that will get worse and worse over time. The worst you can say about them is that they’re poorly informed or under-educated.

Now some of them may well be racist. Calling them all racists is insulting, unnecessary and plain wrong.
Everything is always more complex but the thread doesn't really expose immigration as such, it exposes a problem that is equally complex in how do you effectively take kids from a low skilled background and elevate them to being highly skilled, this question applies to everyone, nationals like immigrants and that's where government fail and where they either target immigrants or talk about deplorables and lazy nationals. Our current system keep people down and we let them by allowing them the easy excuses.

And in the case of the EU immigration, if I'm not mistaken on average they are more skilled, I'm not sure if they have corresponding jobs though which would be a problem.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
It is small, in the grand scheme of things, but let's not forget that there's only about 700k births in the UK each year.
And about 600k in deaths as well. Immigration is an extremely stoked up issue, I agree it can be an issue in certain areas but generally it is overblown and the benefits outweigh the negatives in the grand scheme of things.

Pogue Mahone

Everything is always more complex but the thread doesn't really expose immigration as such, it exposes a problem that is equally complex in how do you effectively take kids from a low skilled background and elevate them to being highly skilled, this question applies to everyone, nationals like immigrants and that's where government fail and where they either target immigrants or talk about deplorables and lazy nationals. Our current system keep people down and we let them by allowing them the easy excuses.

And in the case of the EU immigration, if I'm not mistaken on average they are more skilled, I'm not sure if they have corresponding jobs though which would be a problem.
Agree 100%. There are huge numbers of people in Britain who are like that joke about mushrooms. Kept in the dark and fed a constant diet of shit. I'm not defending the misinformation they're fed, just arguing that don't think it's helpful to label them all as racists.

Massive Spanner

The Football Grinch
It is small, in the grand scheme of things, but let's not forget that there's only about 700k births in the UK each year.
shouldn't that be even more reason for them to want immigration, though, especially from youth?

it's pretty well documented that a lot of European countries will struggle in the coming decades due to their pensioners living longer and the current generation not popping out enough kids to make up for it. I think the Irish CSO did a study a few months ago and it came back that the population over 65 will double by 2050 or something.

The Purley King

OK, so 282k people in net migration. At a conservative estimate, that means an additional 70k abodes would be needed to house these people (assuming 4 people per abode, when the likely figure is probably less, I don't know if there are any official figures on that).
The overall target for housebuilding is 300k houses per year and as I know full well from living in London, overall targets are never met, let alone targets for affordable housing.
Yes - you can apportion blame on government and councils. However, the economic benefit of migrants arriving has a relatively large offset in terms of pressure on housing costs. I don't see how anyone can argue against that and anyone who says that people who have concerns due to that are inherently racist is wrong.

Honest John

Net migration is 282k and it has been around this level for most of the last decade.

Check UK population growth stats.

Nothing really happened for about 30 years then in 1997 Labour threw open the doors to worldwide immigration.

Add the rapid expansion of EU countries plus big earning differences across the block and you have the perfect storm.

From 2000 the UK population has accelerated.

The migrants themselves are not responsible.

But failure to properly control it definitely has an effect on all aspects of our infrastructure.

Browse this:

http://www.civitas.org.uk/content/files/britainsdemographicchallengeweb.pdf

Pogue Mahone

And about 600k in deaths as well. Immigration is an extremely stoked up issue, I agree it can be an issue in certain areas but generally it is overblown and the benefits outweigh the negatives in the grand scheme of things.
For sure. The fact that the birth rate is relatively low, makes it all the more important that net immigration (which is generally fairly young people) continues. Otherwise the aging population will completely wreck the UK economy. Which is why Brexit is potentially such a massive kick in the balls. A bunch of old farts asking for walls to be put up around them, with barely enough people of working age paying into the exchequer - to cover the cost of looking after them - as it is.

Honest John

OK, so 282k people in net migration. At a conservative estimate, that means an additional 70k abodes would be needed to house these people (assuming 4 people per abode, when the likely figure is probably less, I don't know if there are any official figures on that).
The overall target for housebuilding is 300k houses per year and as I know full well from living in London, overall targets are never met, let alone targets for affordable housing.
Yes - you can apportion blame on government and councils. However, the economic benefit of migrants arriving has a relatively large offset in terms of pressure on housing costs. I don't see how anyone can argue against that and anyone who says that people who have concerns due to that are inherently racist is wrong.
The predictions are that the UK population will grow by 9.7 million in the next 25 years. That's equivalent to 3 cities the size of Manchester.

Massive Spanner

The Football Grinch
The predictions are that the UK population will grow by 9.7 million in the next 25 years. That's equivalent to 3 cities the size of Manchester.
Yeah but it's growing because people are living longer, not immigration.

People living longer = higher pensions = very bad if youth doesn't increase at the same/higher rate.