Brexited | the worst threads live the longest

Do you think there will be a Deal or No Deal?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Verified Bird Expert
Scout
Some defo will. Avoiding Brexit is way more important than Labour getting in for one term, even if it is under Corbyn's leadership.
Pity so few voters thought that 17 months ago in the general election then really, when they endorsed Labour and Conservative pledges for Brexit, instead of voting Liberal. And yet according to many of them, it's the Brexiters that are the stupid ones.

Paul the Wolf

France - can't win anything with Swedish turnips
Q: As a remain voter what is better for the UK your deal or staying?

May: I recognise that staying in the EU caused real concern, including over immigration. The sky won’t fall when we leave. It will be different.

Including?
When May says it will be different outside the EU, she is probably preparing the Brits that battered mackerel and herring will replace cod and haddock.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Yeah my statement was a bit absolute, what i meant was that i think more voters will leave Labour for UKIP than they'll gain elsewhere.

The SNP would likely gain seats from the Tories but unfortunately the Lib Dems or Greens aren't in a position to be much of an alternative to Corbyn.

A couple of months ago YouGov were showing Labour would be around 10% behind if they blocked Brexit. I'm sure that's reduced as people have changed their minds but you'd still need an historic swing to Labour to pull it off.

Maybe enough Tories will hate Boris and Mogg who knows
I dunno, Labour would lose some votes to UKIP, but there's a reasonable possibility it wouldn't impact said seats all that much due to the FPTP system. UKIP are largely still in disarray anyway and I'm not sure they've really got the finances to fund a massive campaign in terms of getting candidates to stand and promoting them properly etc.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Q: As a remain voter what is better for the UK your deal or staying?

May: I recognise that staying in the EU caused real concern, including over immigration. The sky won’t fall when we leave. It will be different.

Including?
When May says it will be different outside the EU, she is probably preparing the Brits that battered mackerel and herring will replace cod and haddock.
I like how the government try to reassure people by informing us it won't quite be as bad as a literal full-scale apocalypse.:lol:

EwanI Ted

Yeah my statement was a bit absolute, what i meant was that i think more voters will leave Labour for UKIP than they'll gain elsewhere.

The SNP would likely gain seats from the Tories but unfortunately the Lib Dems or Greens aren't in a position to be much of an alternative to Corbyn.

A couple of months ago YouGov were showing Labour would be around 10% behind if they blocked Brexit. I'm sure that's reduced as people have changed their minds but you'd still need an historic swing to Labour to pull it off.

The trouble is this argument sounds awfully like the thinking that Ed and Ed were going through 7 years ago as they struggled to come to terms with a Tory party that was pushing full steam ahead with a destructive and ideological austerity plan, while Labour struggled with the accusation they were to blame for spending too much in the first place. Rather than stand full square behind a rejection of austerity they chased the polls and tried to split the difference, ending up with a kind of austerity-lite position that pleased no-one. While I personally think they were in a lose-lose situation whatever they did, I dont think history has been particularly kind to their attempts to equivocate. I also think its fascainating that it was Corbyn who rode the wave of the rejection of that political triangulation, and yet he seems to be doing something similar on Brexit.

Fully Fledged

Pity so few voters thought that 17 months ago in the general election then really, when they endorsed Labour and Conservative pledges for Brexit, instead of voting Liberal. And yet according to many of them, it's the Brexiters that are the stupid ones.
No one trusts the Lib Dems to live up live up to their campaign promises.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
The trouble is this argument sounds awfully like the thinking that Ed and Ed were going through 7 years ago as they struggled to come to terms with a Tory party that was pushing full steam ahead with a destructive and ideological austerity plan, while Labour struggled with the accusation they were to blame for spending too much in the first place. Rather than stand full square behind a rejection of austerity they chased the polls and tried to split the difference, ending up with a kind of austerity-lite position that pleased no-one. While I personally think they were in a lose-lose situation whatever they did, I dont think history has been particularly kind to their attempts to equivocate. I also think its fascainating that it was Corbyn who rode the wave of the rejection of that political triangulation, and yet he seems to be doing something similar on Brexit.
Been saying similar myself - a lot of Corbyn's fans have defended him based on his ideals and positions irrespective of how popular he has been at that respective time, and have often not been particularly bothered about polling, yet on the issue of Brexit, polling has suddenly become a convenient defence for his inaction.

If the argument for Corbyn is that he's trying to shift the political paradigm in the UK and that that's something which won't come easily, I struggle to see why that same argument shouldn't apply to Brexit, wherein under the same logic the best way to prevent it or neuter it would be to properly argue against it and highlight its flaws.

Rolandofgilead

Trigger Happy Priest Killer
Scout
Supports
Weymouth

I'm sure I read yesterday that according to YouGov Labour held a 3 point lead in the polls. For whatever that is worth.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
So when is this happening. Supposedly Brexit will make companies lose a lot of EU talent and have them consider talent from other nations (America included) and so I can get a job in Manchester and buy a season ticket pass and live my dream. So Brexit is a win for me.

don't get serious on me

Abizzz

So when is this happening. Supposedly Brexit will make companies lose a lot of EU talent and have them consider talent from other nations (America included) and so I can get a job in Manchester and buy a season ticket pass and live my dream. So Brexit is a win for me.

don't get serious on me
Feck, 833 pages and finally someone came along with a understandable reason for it all.

Fully Fledged

LibDems are hardly alone in that regard.
No but they did the unforgivable and propped up a Tory Government. They also stuck up a massive middle finger at their major supporters, students, by not only not stopping student fees but actually help the Tories to raise student fees significantly.

It's one thing to not live up to your promises but to go completely against your promise by increasing the thing you pledged to remove is unforgivable. Fool me once shame on you. Fool me twice shame on me.

EyeInTheSky

A striking 31% of leave voters believed that Muslim immigration was part of a wider plot to make Muslims the majority in Britain, a conspiracy theory that originated in French far-right circles that was known as the “great replacement”.

https://www.theguardian.com/society...-60-of-britons-believe-in-conspiracy-theories

Wasn't about racism though...
They are on the caff on other threads as well. "The Arabs own everything" literally what they said. They also own Hollywood apparently literally the opposite of reality. They are a special breed of feckwit.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
No but they did the unforgivable and propped up a Tory Government. They also stuck up a massive middle finger at their major supporters, students, by not only not stopping student fees but actually help the Tories to raise student fees significantly.

It's one thing to not live up to your promises but to go completely against your promise by increasing the thing you pledged to remove is unforgivable. Fool me once shame on you. Fool me twice shame on me.
I'll maintain the idea of the coalition in itself wasn't awful - ultimately the Tories were the biggest party and the only one who could form a government, and it was inevitable that compromise would have to be reached in that regard. The problem was that the Lib Dems didn't push anywhere near hard enough for anything that mattered. Voting reform to PR should've been a demand from the off - they should've also requested more senior cabinet positions. I'd argue they should've tried to neuter austerity much more than they did, but then the problem was that Clegg and a fair few within his party were actually quite right-wing anyway, only really disagreeing massively with the Tories on social matters.

Paul the Wolf

don't get serious on me
Make sure you're good at picking fruit and vegetables and can convince the company employing you to pay you £30k per year for doing that, and by the way don't speak with a funny accent.

Paul the Wolf

I don't have to convince them with anything given how desperate things are going to become with Brexit
But the government won't let you in if you don't earn £30k. All the unemployed Brits are currently being retrained to retake all the good jobs stolen by EU citizens ready for 30th March.
Sadly the fruit and vegetable growers can't sustain paying such wages so employment may be short term.

I'm joking really, actually I wish I was joking.

Fully Fledged

I'll maintain the idea of the coalition in itself wasn't awful - ultimately the Tories were the biggest party and the only one who could form a government, and it was inevitable that compromise would have to be reached in that regard. The problem was that the Lib Dems didn't push anywhere near hard enough for anything that mattered. Voting reform to PR should've been a demand from the off - they should've also requested more senior cabinet positions. I'd argue they should've tried to neuter austerity much more than they did, but then the problem was that Clegg and a fair few within his party were actually quite right-wing anyway, only really disagreeing massively with the Tories on social matters.
I'll agree with most of that. apart from the fact that they supported a Tory party that has decimated schools and hospitals while also going back on their election promises. They could have formed a government with the Labour party that had a lot more in common with what was supposed to be their manifesto.

Our children only have one attempt at lives. The children that are dying in maternity wards now that could have been saved if the hospitals they they we supposed to be born in were properly funded are on all our hands. The students that fall through the cracks in schools that have had their extra curricular activates underfunded are also our responsibility.

I'm only on Circa £40k but I would be willing to increase my tax payments if the Government could insure that the money would go to hospitals and schools. I don't want a tax cut if it means that the NHS and schools are poorly funded.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
I'll agree with most of that. apart from the fact that they supported a Tory party that has decimated schools and hospitals while also going back on their election promises. They could have formed a government with the Labour party that had a lot more in common with what was supposed to be their manifesto.

Our children only have one attempt at lives. The children that are dying in maternity wards now that could have been saved if the hospitals they they we supposed to be born in were properly funded are on all our hands. The students that fall through the cracks in schools that have had their extra curricular activates underfunded are also our responsibility.

I'm only on Circa £40k but I would be willing to increase my tax payments if the Government could insure that the money would go to hospitals and schools. I don't want a tax cut if it means that the NHS and schools are poorly funded.
They couldn't have - both parties would've been comfortably short of a majority in 2010. The Lib Dems could, of course, have just allowed the Tories to operate as a minority government, although in the position of kingmakers it'd have essentially amounted to a coalition anyway.

C3Pique

They are on the caff on other threads as well. "The Arabs own everything" literally what they said. They also own Hollywood apparently literally the opposite of reality. They are a special breed of feckwit.
I had a conversation with an ardent Brexiter today, he was delighted because Brexit would mean the UK would be a low tax haven. When I asked him if he thought his local police, schools and hospitals had enough staff and resources he thought they definitely did not. He then went a bit quiet when I pointed out the link between taxes and public services.

Special kind of delusion that lot.

Fully Fledged

They couldn't have - both parties would've been comfortably short of a majority in 2010. The Lib Dems could, of course, have just allowed the Tories to operate as a minority government, although in the position of kingmakers it'd have essentially amounted to a coalition anyway.
I'm pretty sure that they could have made a coalition with either party.

Edit
Tory 306
Labour 258
Lib Dem 57
Democratic Unionist 8

Labour and Lib Dem could have got 315 which would have been a majority.

Last edited:

Verified Bird Expert
Scout

If you're so keen for people to live up to their promises then you must want Corbyn to keep his promise to uphold Brexit then. So long as you take your share of the blame when it goes to shit.

4bars

Supports
Barcelona
How about the 3 Morrocan islands that Spain still cling on to? Don't suppose they'll be giving those up at the same time.
Stating from the beginning that I am of the opinion that those territories geographically should belong to Morroco, (and not islands and not 3), the situation is different. And before you think I am defending Spain, I am a catalan independentist

Morroco as a entity didn't exist till way after those territories were part of Spain, while Gibraltar is part of a treaty agreement, brittish empire grabbed more territory than the treaty agreement said 1 hundred years after.

Saying all that, I believe that people should belong where they decide it, and gibraltar made it clear in 2002 with a 99% that they wanted to remain in that status quo (as I suspect Ceuta and Melilla would vote to remain spanish and not Morrocan.

Conclusion: good exercise of Whataboutism

Fully Fledged

If you're so keen for people to live up to their promises then you must want Corbyn to keep his promise to uphold Brexit then. So long as you take your share of the blame when it goes to shit.
My main problem with them is propping up a austerity Tory government that has killed children by under-funding the NHS.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Tory 306
Labour 258
Lib Dem 57
Democratic Unionist 8

Labour and Lib Dem could have got 315 which would have been a majority.
315 is not a majority in the House of Commons. Other parties included the SNP, Plaid, SDLP, Greens and Plaid Cymru.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Okay so they would have needed SNP and Plaid Cymru they could have made a government.
Labour refuse to go into coalitions with nationalist parties who advocate separation from the UK. The Lib Dems would take the same position - but even if they hypothetically hadn't they wouldn't have had the numbers to go into government with Labour. And a coalition involving four parties, two of whom wouldn't want to be in the country they're in a coalition for, clearly wouldn't have lasted and would've had no stability whatsoever.