Brexited | the worst threads live the longest

Do you think there will be a Deal or No Deal?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

EyeInTheSky

I had a conversation with an ardent Brexiter today, he was delighted because Brexit would mean the UK would be a low tax haven. When I asked him if he thought his local police, schools and hospitals had enough staff and resources he thought they definitely did not. He then went a bit quiet when I pointed out the link between taxes and public services.

Special kind of delusion that lot.
Turkeys and Christmas comes to mind. But that would be an insult to poultry.

Fully Fledged

Labour refuse to go into coalitions with nationalist parties who advocate separation from the UK. And a coalition involving four parties, two of whom wouldn't want to be in the country they're in a coalition for, clearly wouldn't have lasted and would've had no stability whatsoever.
And austerity still wouldn't have led to hospitals going into special measures because children both unborn and new born are dying in their maternity wards due to underfunding.

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
Labour refuse to go into coalitions with nationalist parties who advocate separation from the UK. The Lib Dems would take the same position - but even if they hypothetically hadn't they wouldn't have had the numbers to go into government with Labour. And a coalition involving four parties, two of whom wouldn't want to be in the country they're in a coalition for, clearly wouldn't have lasted and would've had no stability whatsoever.
With Gordon Brown as PM. Would've lasted about a month before it fell apart with the Tories getting a majority in the ensuing election.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
And austerity still wouldn't have led to hospitals going into special measures because children both unborn and new born are dying in their maternity wards due to underfunding.
I'm not disagreeing with your assessment of the Tory government or of the Lib Dems complicity in that - I'm just pointing out that in 2010 there was no way for the Lib Dems to go into a coalition with Labour.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
With Gordon Brown as PM. Would've lasted about a month before it fell apart with the Tories getting a majority in the ensuing election.
Indeed. I tend not to agree with the assessment that the Tories would've gotten an automatic majority had the Lib Dems been unable to come to an agreement with them, leading to another election, but if a Labour coalition like the one mentioned above had happened and collapsed the Tories would've certainly capitalised on the ensuing chaos afterwards.

Fully Fledged

I'm not disagreeing with your assessment of the Tory government or of the Lib Dems complicity in that - I'm just pointing out that in 2010 there was no way for the Lib Dems to go into a coalition with Labour.
Fair enough and I've had too many to go into the finer points of politics but the complicity of the Lib Dems still rankles with me.

GloryHunter07

No but they did the unforgivable and propped up a Tory Government. They also stuck up a massive middle finger at their major supporters, students, by not only not stopping student fees but actually help the Tories to raise student fees significantly.

It's one thing to not live up to your promises but to go completely against your promise by increasing the thing you pledged to remove is unforgivable. Fool me once shame on you. Fool me twice shame on me.
Im not going to argue, what they did to students was political suicide.

EwanI Ted

I'll agree with most of that. apart from the fact that they supported a Tory party that has decimated schools and hospitals while also going back on their election promises. They could have formed a government with the Labour party that had a lot more in common with what was supposed to be their manifesto.

Our children only have one attempt at lives. The children that are dying in maternity wards now that could have been saved if the hospitals they they we supposed to be born in were properly funded are on all our hands. The students that fall through the cracks in schools that have had their extra curricular activates underfunded are also our responsibility.

I'm only on Circa £40k but I would be willing to increase my tax payments if the Government could insure that the money would go to hospitals and schools. I don't want a tax cut if it means that the NHS and schools are poorly funded.
Tbf, if you cast your mind back to how things were in the aftermath of that election, that really wasn’t an option.

Fully Fledged

Tbf, if you cast your mind back to how things were in the aftermath of that election, that really wasn’t an option.
That's been pointed out by people in previous posts. As I've said I've had a few but I will always be circumspect about voting for them now because my main goal when voting is to stop the Tories from destroying the NHS. I might have voted for them if they were in an area where it was them or the Tories but can I now trust them not to form a government with the Tories.

Paul the Wolf

France - can't win anything with Swedish turnips
Just saw this:

Meanwhile Leadsom is keen for the government to consider a “no deal plus” if parliament votes against the deal. Under that plan, the government would pay the EU £20bn – less than half the planned divorce payment – in exchange for a two-year transition period, during which the UK would prepare for operating on World Trade Organisation terms.

We've had Canada plus, sanity minus, now we have no deal plus.
These people are supposed to be running the country.

Ultimate Grib

Supports
LA Galaxy
Tory 306
Labour 258
Lib Dem 57
Democratic Unionist 8

Labour and Lib Dem could have got 315 which would have been a majority.
Gordon Brown called for it but Clegg said that he would form a government with the Tories since they were the largest party.

Verified Bird Expert
Scout
That's how I remembered it.
My own memory is that Cameron offering a full-on coalition with Liberal cabinet members came as a huge surprise to everyone. If Clegg knew Brown was only discussing a 'pact', and a feeble one at that, then when Cameron let him know he was willing to offer a genuine coalition it was game over. Shame, though.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
This I'm afraid is a fantasy.
Aye. Ultimately a no deal Brexit would be disastrous - and the only other alternative basically involves us retaining all our current arrangements with the EU, but just with no actual voice.

If you want to pursue left-wing policies then the best way to do that within the EU is to coalesce with other left-wing parties in EU member states and try to shift it in a more left-wing direction in general. Might not be easy, but the left-wing arguments against the EU tend not to work anymore because their entire philosophy is based on an outlook that's decades out-of-date.

Mozza

It’s Carrick you know
So the big sales pitch for May's deal is the ending of freedom of movement. Brexit isn't about taking back control, since we are going to follow the rules anyway, it's not about sovereignty, we'll abandon that with every subsequent trade deal, it's not about fecking fish. There's no pretending anymore, this vote was a victory for racists

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
So, what's the holdup with Brexit? Second thoughts on leaving or more complicated than that?
Sadly there is no hold up... Deal or no deal we leave on 29th march as it stands
EU will Probably pass the deal this weekend
UK parliment will vote on it around 10th December... Currently looks unlikely to pass
From there it's all guesswork

Fully Fledged

My own memory is that Cameron offering a full-on coalition with Liberal cabinet members came as a huge surprise to everyone. If Clegg knew Brown was only discussing a 'pact', and a feeble one at that, then when Cameron let him know he was willing to offer a genuine coalition it was game over. Shame, though.
It was.

Smores

A Labour supporter just described Labour's position as 'constructive ambiguity'. Says it all. Although I'm sure it's nuanced. Very nuanced.
I think I'd describe it as obstructive cooperation. I find it comparable to some life experiences where I've been out voted on something known their alternative was a bad idea and then insisted its carried out through to disaster so i can say i told you so :lol:

Labours whole position til now has been irrelevant tbf, it's the direction they take in the coming weeks and months that count as now they can actually influence proceedings.

Frosty

Logical and sensible but turns women gay

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
The version that I have read is that during the negotiation it has been clearly established that Gibraltar's relations with the EU would depend on a negotiation with Spain.
However, that part of the draft, had disappeared, apparently by order of May, which was considered a malicious move.
Sánchez says he has secured a written guarantee. The "right wing" press is not so sure.
The negotiations in any case will not talk about co-sovereignty (although the demand will always be there).
From what I have read it would be based on three questions:
- price of tobacco to stop smuggling
-Management of waste to the bay
-Taxation of Gibraltarians living in Spain

4bars

Supports
Barcelona
Swapsies with catalonia
No thanks, you betrayed us before. Funnily breaking an alliance that ended the spanish civil war in 1714 and with the Utrecht treaty in 1713 that got you Gibraltar and Spain fuecking over Catalonia forever. So, no trusty trusty brittish

And frankly, Spanish governments are so incompetent that at least our culture survived till the XXI century in decent shape, not like scottish, welsh and irish.

Last edited:

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
Can't believe we have gone from 'zero negotiation' policy with the Falklands to bowing to fecking Spain over Gibraltar. May has a fraction of Thatcher's balls.

It is British land. No negotiation, unless you want to go through the British armed forces first. This meek surrender is a betrayal which should not be tolerated.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
The only thing May wants from this whole shambles is an end to freedom of movement.

She’s always been xenophobic and is using Brexit to get her way.