Brexited | the worst threads live the longest

Do you think there will be a Deal or No Deal?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

UweBein

Creator of the Worst Analogy on the Internet.
Supports
Chelsea

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I'm just saying where does the cost hike to the consumers come from? My bananas come from Kenya they will have an import tariff from the EU, but under WTO that will be 0. Or look at the TV from China 14% with the EU, but under WTO 0%. I'm not bothered anymore weather in or out.

I just don't like being bullied into thinking we are substandard, incapable people by the media or the European Union.
You misread that article and the table from the BBC, 0% is the temporary rate that the UK would unilaterally put on goods, in the column on the left are bound tariffs on WTO terms and in that case it's the maximum AV duty.

M16Red

Who has agreed the temporary tariff rate? How you you going to manage the VAT payments, who is going to finance the extra funding needed to pay the VAT and duty. If everything is zero you are going to be swamped with rubbish because you have no control.
If the UK is maintaining the same standards and regulations they won't be doing deals with the US any time soon and if you are why are you leaving the EU?

You say money talks but the UK are losing their biggest group of countries. It will affect Ireland the most and Germany to some extent and a few north-western European countries a bit but cripple the UK.

Any delays on the cross-channel route either way will cause chaos.

We haven't even mentioned the loss of confidence of foreign investors and currency problems and lack of access to EU markets.
We released the tariff - well Mrs May did, so the VAT is 15% for the EU I read, but .gov would set the VAT or get rid of it. UK's VAT for food is included in the sale of the food to the customer.

Standards for imports would follow our current standard I'd imagine the same as what's written into law (it's the same as the EU).

Your right we don't want GM foods, it's against our import standards as they are for the EU - but that's the point we're using the same framework as the EU for all our standards. You see they (the European Union) are looking down the line and thinking what if outside countries start using the UK as platform to sell into the EU moving around our tariff protection system.

The system is wrong though, Grease cooked the booked get in and now they are... Well.. Spain and Portugal have a really high unemployment level. Northern Europe doing the best out of this deal.

The money thing is a bit of weird one, because now it's cheaper (at moment) the hire a UK worker than it is to hire a worker in say France or Germany.. as international companies trading dollars. Also are goods are cheaper so we sell more or at least have a level playing field . Silver linings and all that

There are mor ports In the UK than just dover, saturation is never a good thing.

I think thats most of it, I'm off to drink some wine from New Zealand 0% traiff under WTO :lol:

Last edited:

M16Red

You misread that article and the table from the BBC, 0% is the temporary rate that the UK would unilaterally put on goods, in the column on the left are bound tariffs on WTO terms and in that case it's the maximum AV duty.
I don't see the difference at least we have a choice to change it

Paul the Wolf

France - can't win anything with Swedish turnips
I'm just saying where does the cost hike to the consumers come from? My bananas come from Kenya they will have an import tariff from the EU, but under WTO that will be 0. Or look at the TV from China 14% with the EU, but under WTO 0%. I'm not bothered anymore weather in or out.

I just don't like being bullied into thinking we are substandard, incapable people by the media or the European Union.
You must be the only one. You are aware of the ACP agreement with the EU?

Paul the Wolf

We released the tariff - well Mrs May did, so the VAT is 15% for the EU I read, but .gov would set the VAT or get rid of it. UK's VAT for food is included in the sale of the food to the customer.

Standards for imports would follow our current standard I'd imagine the same as what's written into law (it's the same as the EU).

Your right we don't want GM foods, it's against our import standards as they are for the EU - but that's the point we're using the same framework as the EU for all our standards. You see they (the European Union) are looking down the line and thinking what if outside countries start using the UK as platform to sell into the EU moving around our tariff protection system.

The system is wrong though, Grease cooked the booked get in and now they are... Well.. Spain and Portugal have a really high unemployment level. Northern Europe doing the best out of this deal.

The money thing is a bit of weird one, because now it's cheaper (at moment) the hire a UK worker than it is to hire a worker in say France or Germany.. as international companies trading dollars. Also are goods are cheaper so we sell more or at least have a level playing field . Silver linings and all that

There are mor ports In the UK than just dover, saturation is never a good thing.

I think thats most of it, I'm off to drink some wine from New Zealand 0% traiff under WTO :lol:
I just realised that those details on the government site were made up by Liam Fox, need I say more, quite a funny read especially the trade agreements.
You also can't unilaterally decide your tariffs and if you did put everything to zero you will never get a trade agreement with anybody because there's no incentive for the countries buying from the UK to negotiate. Remembering that the countries you export till will impose tariffs on UK goods, especially Donald.
My point about the VAT (not just food) , which is a vast source of income for the UK government btw, which companies don't have to stump up when importing from the EU at the moment but will do in the future.
Why would countries use the UK to access the EU when they have their own agreements with the EU.

Dover is not the only port but Dover/Folkestone CT are the only ones capable of handling such traffic. Other than the short crossing time which is imperative.

Goods are not cheaper because you will have to import the materials to make them and if industry is ruined because of floods of cheap imports what is the Uk going to sell. If the Uk was a net exporter , yes fine but the UK is a large net importer.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff

I think the Brexit debacle has already proven beyond a shadow of a doubt that we are wildly inadequate at many things ranging from selecting PM's to making sensible decisions. No assistance from the press or the EU required.

We have however become a world leader at clinging to minor detail in the hope that it will all be ok if we just wish hard enough.

M16Red

I just realised that those details on the government site were made up by Liam Fox, need I say more, quite a funny read especially the trade agreements.
You also can't unilaterally decide your tariffs and if you did put everything to zero you will never get a trade agreement with anybody because there's no incentive for the countries buying from the UK to negotiate. Remembering that the countries you export till will impose tariffs on UK goods, especially Donald.
My point about the VAT (not just food) , which is a vast source of income for the UK government btw, which companies don't have to stump up when importing from the EU at the moment but will do in the future.
Why would countries use the UK to access the EU when they have their own agreements with the EU.

Dover is not the only port but Dover/Folkestone CT are the only ones capable of handling such traffic. Other than the short crossing time which is imperative.

Goods are not cheaper because you will have to import the materials to make them and if industry is ruined because of floods of cheap imports what is the Uk going to sell. If the Uk was a net exporter , yes fine but the UK is a large net importer.
Okay, it's a temporary tariff - you know to get the wheels turning.

Why would they: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-49368217

if the traiff on bikes is 50% from China why not import them to the UK and resell to the EU at cheaper duty, when does a bike change its origin after a customisation?

VAT for imports, then you'd go to the source and cut out the middle man. I'd need to think about this because there are variables as our distribution manufacturing and sellers model is weird... I remember I went for meeting with manufacturer of car axles and asked him how he was going to get round it, he smiled and said "if it's for our Europe plant ship to Europe if its for our UK plant ship here" he was not worried at all. I met a lot of big companies and none of them seem worried. Weirdly.

As for the exporter Vs importer well that's correct you see it costs more to make anything in the UK because of the pound - not so much now.

Good debate. I'm off the get drunk.. enjoy your day or night

M16Red

I think the Brexit debacle has already proven beyond a shadow of a doubt that we are wildly inadequate at many things ranging from selecting PM's to making sensible decisions. No assistance from the press or the EU required.

We have however become a world leader at clinging to minor detail in the hope that it will all be ok if we just wish hard enough.
Or sticking pencils up our noses?

Paul the Wolf

Okay, it's a temporary tariff - you know to get the wheels turning.

Why would they: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-49368217

if the traiff on bikes is 50% from China why not import them to the UK and resell to the EU at cheaper duty, when does a bike change its origin after a customisation?

VAT for imports, then you'd go to the source and cut out the middle man. I'd need to think about this because there are variables as our distribution manufacturing and sellers model is weird... I remember I went for meeting with manufacturer of car axles and asked him how he was going to get round it, he smiled and said "if it's for our Europe plant ship to Europe if its for our UK plant ship here" he was not worried at all. I met a lot of big companies and none of them seem worried. Weirdly.

As for the exporter Vs importer well that's correct you see it costs more to make anything in the UK because of the pound - not so much now.

Good debate. I'm off the get drunk.. enjoy your day or night
The origin of goods will not change no matter how many countries they pass through and of course would have to meet the standards of the importing country/bloc of countries.

Typical of cars manufactured in the UK , parts of the car will be made outside the EU, some parts will be made in the EU and some parts will be made in the UK and the car or sections of the car will transport back and forth between the UK and the EU, of course if the UK is outside the EU then tariffs and VAT will apply each time.
Now if you were a foreign car manufacturer (which they all are) it would make life so much simpler if they were produced in the EU where there would be no tariffs and VAT to be paid within the EU27 plus avoiding the new delays at ports which would be inevitable.

But if the pound devalued the trade defecit would widen.

Rams

aspiring to be like Ryan Giggs

So let me get this straight. The UK is planning for a no deal Brexit including tariff free trade under WTO rules and then planning for negotiating trade deals... then it must not only be the media or the EU thinking we’re incapable people.. Third country?! Third World country more like.

M16Red

So let me get this straight. The UK is planning for a no deal Brexit including tariff free trade under WTO rules and then planning for negotiating trade deals... then it must not only be the media or the EU thinking we’re incapable people.. Third country?! Third World country more like.
Third rate country.
Sweet baby Jesus. You lot are a bunch of pessimists. When did the internet become negative?

Please excuse my positivity.

Smores

It seems a bit mental that the only person that can recall parliament is the prime minister. The speaker should be able to do so if there's a majority of MPs wishing it so.

As it stands all parties are in GE campaign mode with Boris in control of the starting pistol and he wants to delay.

Maticmaker

Boris will sell that as fight against obesity in the UK.
Yes you can see it now major billboard headline stuff... "Now is the time for the British people to lose weight and kick the drug habit through a No deal Brexit...Go, Go, Brexit" signed... by your 'do or die' PM

Smores

Sweet baby Jesus. You lot are a bunch of pessimists. When did the internet become negative?

Please excuse my positivity.
Anyone else find this new phenomena of the right demanding positivity really strange and alarming? Not just here but the US too.

There's a strange double think in that the right are obviously very restrictive in their policies and not at all positive and yet when it comes to their policies they demand a favourable outlook.

Paul the Wolf

https://labour.org.uk/press/jeremy-corbyn-speech-corby-today/

Our country has been held back for too long by the establishment that the Tories represent.

But together, we can take our future into our own hands and tackle the great challenges facing our country alongside Brexit; inequality and an economy run for the richest; public services that have been stripped back and sold off; and the climate emergency threatening our children’s future.

But I'm sure someone said remainers should vote Labour.

Smores

https://labour.org.uk/press/jeremy-corbyn-speech-corby-today/

Our country has been held back for too long by the establishment that the Tories represent.

But together, we can take our future into our own hands and tackle the great challenges facing our country alongside Brexit; inequality and an economy run for the richest; public services that have been stripped back and sold off; and the climate emergency threatening our children’s future.

But I'm sure someone said remainers should vote Labour.
Think you're reading that wrong Paul although it is badly worded.

Paul the Wolf

Think you're reading that wrong Paul although it is badly worded.
Am I? He doesn't mention campaigning for remain either nor does he say how he would stop a no deal Brexit other than putting it back to the people which if it was still leave that won would not stop no deal.

Another point is that although No Deal will bring about the things he listed but any form of Brexit will also bring about the same things but to a slightly lesser degree. This seems to have escaped him.

Last edited:

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Anyone else find this new phenomena of the right demanding positivity really strange and alarming? Not just here but the US too.

There's a strange double think in that the right are obviously very restrictive in their policies and not at all positive and yet when it comes to their policies they demand a favourable outlook.
It's because they're desperate liars.

Smores

Am I? He doesn't mention campaigning for remain either nor does he say how he would stop a no deal Brexit other than putting it back to the people which if it was still leave that won would not stop no deal.
It was a campaign pitch to bring up the other Labour issues, he meant there's other issues to tackle as well as brexit not that Labour will tackle these issues whilst delivering brexit.

Labour haven't decided if they're neutral or remain we'll have to wait and see on that, i think they'll be neutral but freely allow MPs to form remain campaigns. Most here think Corbyn is useless anyway so let the others run the campaign.

On your final point if leave wins again now knowing it means no deal then i highly doubt parliament will block it. It either gets removed as an option up front by all parties or parliament has to take it as an instruction.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I find it strange that anyone would fail to realize that MPs contesting No deal or Brexit are seen as working against democracy. The democratic process didn't stop or start with the referendum and the millions of people who didn't vote in favor of Brexit or No deal still need to be represented and their voices still need to be heard.

Paul the Wolf

It was a campaign pitch to bring up the other Labour issues, he meant there's other issues to tackle as well as brexit not that Labour will tackle these issues whilst delivering brexit.

Labour haven't decided if they're neutral or remain we'll have to wait and see on that, i think they'll be neutral but freely allow MPs to form remain campaigns. Most here think Corbyn is useless anyway so let the others run the campaign.

On your final point if leave wins again now knowing it means no deal then i highly doubt parliament will block it. It either gets removed as an option up front by all parties or parliament has to take it as an instruction.
To be able to deliver the things they want to do, not that I agree with a lot of it but that's beside the point which I'm not going into, they will not be able to because of Brexit, no deal or not no deal. It is not fully costed because he clearly has no idea what Brexit will do to the country and if he does he's conning the electorate.

Smores

To be able to deliver the things they want to do, not that I agree with a lot of it but that's beside the point which I'm not going into, they will not be able to because of Brexit, no deal or not no deal. It is not fully costed because he clearly has no idea what Brexit will do to the country and if he does he's conning the electorate.
If the Tories can suddenly claim they've got money to spare then so can Labour :drool:

Although i do agree it isn't and can't be costed. The Tories have already pitched a need to spend and boost the economy though so they may have opened the door to increased borrowing being politically palatable

Not that i agree with that, no spending is going to get us out the economic hit we'll take. This isn't riding out a recession.

Paul the Wolf

If the Tories can suddenly claim they've got money to spare then so can Labour :drool:

Although i do agree it isn't and can't be costed. The Tories have already pitched a need to spend and boost the economy though so they may have opened the door to increased borrowing being politically palatable

Not that i agree with that, no spending is going to get us out the economic hit we'll take. This isn't riding out a recession.
Agreed , but this is why if Labour want to help the people Brexit is not the solution and will only hamper any reparation to the country's ills. Which is why I would have expected Labour to be all out anti-Brexit but that doesn't fit in with the renationalising of all the utilities and rail etc. We accuse Corbyn of living in the 1960s but clearly he doesn't remember the state of British Rail in that period.

Verified Bird Expert
Scout

Good job there's plenty of time yet then.
It seems a bit mental that the only person that can recall parliament is the prime minister. The speaker should be able to do so if there's a majority of MPs wishing it so.

As it stands all parties are in GE campaign mode with Boris in control of the starting pistol and he wants to delay.
Certainly should.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
I don't understand this thing about freedom of movement stopping on November 1st. Surely the government understands that this would wreck the lives of British citizens living in the EU as well?

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
I don't understand this thing about freedom of movement stopping on November 1st. Surely the government understands that this would wreck the lives of British citizens living in the EU as well?
it's up to the countries they live in to decide what to do with them I think. I know Ireland have already said they'll continue to be able to live and work here as if nothing's changed.

Penna

Kind Moderator (with a bit of a mean streak)
Staff
I think most Brits living in EU countries have been proactive about this particular problem, just like other EU citizens living in the UK. Many of us have become residents of our adopted countries in advance of Brexit. If we can't come back to the UK without a lot of hassle, we won't come back unless we absolutely have to. In our case we sold our house in the UK, paid to join the Italian health service, registered our cars as Italian and are paying tax here (as well as in the UK).

If you have to be able to visit the UK on a regular basis, I expect people will choose to move back completely and sell their EU property. I know that there's folk out here in Italy that are trying to do that. Some people can't risk losing their NHS entitlement, because they can't afford to pay in another country and not have an EHIC.

Paul the Wolf

it's up to the countries they live in to decide what to do with them I think. I know Ireland have already said they'll continue to be able to live and work here as if nothing's changed.
Probably but British citizens moving/traveling from one EU country (where they live for example) to another EU country is another matter.

Last edited:

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
I think most Brits living in EU countries have been proactive about this particular problem, just like other EU citizens living in the UK. Many of us have become residents of our adopted countries in advance of Brexit. If we can't come back to the UK without a lot of hassle, we won't come back unless we absolutely have to. In our case we sold our house in the UK, paid to join the Italian health service, registered our cars as Italian and are paying tax here (as well as in the UK).

If you have to be able to visit the UK on a regular basis, I expect people will choose to move back completely and sell their EU property. I know that there's folk out here in Italy that are trying to do that. Some people can't risk losing their NHS entitlement, because they can't afford to pay in another country and not have an EHIC.
I'm basically doing something similar here in Canada. I'm sending a PR application (being sponsored by my common law partner). Once I get PR I'm closing my UK account and cutting all ties financially. My girlfriend (who loves the UK) doesn't have any great desire to live there either currently.

It's sad but to me, living in the UK looks so unappealing now.

Stanley Road

Renaissance Man
In Holland there I a period of grace once brexit happens, in the grace period you can apply for residency, passport and nationality. I have my residency permit. Once the grace period expires and you haven't applied to stay, the military police will round everyone up and feck them off.

Paul the Wolf

In Holland there I a period of grace once brexit happens, in the grace period you can apply for residency, passport and nationality. I have my residency permit. Once the grace period expires and you haven't applied to stay, the military police will round everyone up and feck them off.
Don't forget to apply for your visa the next time you visit Portugal after Brexit.