Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hansinity

Supports
Bayern Munich
Finally someone who structures and organizes the game. Someone you give the ball and actually DOES sth with it. He reminds me of prime Schweinsteiger. His movements, his intelligence on the pitch and passing.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
Just imagine if he slipped off our hands to Spurs because of a few millions here and there. And then watched him performed like this for Spurs.
Fuu..
In an alternative world we would have signed a peak Toni Kroos too. Or we would have missed out on signing Cantona.

Fine margins in the market, good for us to have some luck this time.

Haddock

Just imagine if he slipped off our hands to Spurs because of a few millions here and there. And then watched him performed like this for Spurs.
Fuu..
That would never have materialised because Levy bid €45m + €20m conditional on Spurs doing something they have never done - wining the premier league and the champions league.
Far more likely that a serious club like Chelsea or Atletico Madrid would have come in.

Mani

He says that now but i'm sure he would have gone to Spurs if the move was available and we didn't put a bid in.
We dragged on this whole summer and almost till end of winter transfer window, if there was an genuine intention from player then he would've chosen Spurs last summer plus I didn't see another club had shown similar like us towards him, that's might be because player could've already made up his mind to move to United.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
That would never have materialised because Levy bid €45m + €20m conditional on Spurs doing something they have never done - wining the premier league and the champions league.
Far more likely that a serious club like Chelsea or Atletico Madrid would have come in.
Isn't Sporting so desperate for money? Just like people thought Villa would sell Grealish for cheap?

Read it somewhere that he clearly states that he only wants to play United.
Really? I don't buy it. But it could be true,
In an alternative world we would have signed a peak Toni Kroos too. Or we would have missed out on signing Cantona.

Fine margins in the market, good for us to have some luck this time.
We've been "out of luck" for such a long time, so maybe it's not much about luck. Just like Liverpool are "lucky" to get Mane, Salah, Firminho, Fabinho, TAA and VVD in the last few seasons under Klopp.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
Isn't Sporting so desperate for money? Just like people thought Villa would sell Grealish for cheap?

Really? I don't buy it. But it could be true,

We've been "out of luck" for such a long time, so maybe it's not much about luck. Just like Liverpool are "lucky" to get Mane, Salah, Firminho, Fabinho, TAA and VVD in the last few seasons under Klopp.
The luck part is more about us not losing out to him when we cooled our interest in the Summer. That part is definitely luck.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
The luck part is more about us not losing out to him when we cooled our interest in the Summer. That part is definitely luck.
Agreed, mate. In that sense, we're really lucky no big guns with big money were in for him. And also we desperately needed a midfielder in January, with those injuries.
Dare to say, we were also on the course of missing CL or even Europe all together, and this smells like a "panic" buy.

Haddock

Sporting was not desperate in the summer of 2019. They thought the Spurs offer was cheap (unsurprising) and far below their £68m valuation.
Agreed, mate. In that sense, we're really lucky no big guns with big money were in for him. And also we desperately needed a midfielder in January, with those injuries.
Dare to say, we were also on the course of missing CL or even Europe all together, and this smells like a "panic" buy.
United have kept track of Bruno Fernandes since 2017. Football scouting isn't a science with a team of geeks looking at multiple screens analysing data and sorting it into pie charts.

Often an ex-player will recommend someone and a scout will have a look. Bruno was spotted because he was a tactically advanced player. That came from his time in Italy. Then he played under a great manager, Jorge Jesus. Mourinho knows Bruno and is a big big fan and watched him improve under Jesus. Mourinho is supposed to think Bruno is as close a thing to a sure thing as he is basically an Italian style 10 but with the attributes for England. It's fair to assume he had mentioned him once or twice at United.

Sporting have a lot of debt problems. They had to raise €65 million by the end of January to pay debtors and avoid serious penalties that would come into effect if the debt was not cleared by that date. They also needed to buy players (as a club does) but had no money. They assumed (incorrectly) in the summer that someone would stump up. But the people controlling the pursestrings are not the ones who identify talent. I would guess that Levy and Woodward said "How old? And he's still in Portugal? How much?...Pass"

Levy is a tight bastard. Mourinho knows this " the player is of a level and value that is not for us" and he also knows that Woodward is so incompetent that he cannot make a deal even when we have a clear shot. Mourinho said "So Bruno Fernandes coming or no? They went to Lisbon for what? Coming or no?"

So from that perspective it's a panic buy for us and a bloody fortuitous one.

As for Grealish, he won't come cheap if Villa stay up. Nor should he. He's top quality, so you pay top dollar.

DBT85

Mourinho said "So Bruno Fernandes coming or no? They went to Lisbon for what? Coming or no?"
Mou is mocking the journalist in this clip, not United. The one asking the question is the idiot that went to Lisbon for a week and told everyone it was done every day when it wasn't.

Haddock

Mou is mocking the journalist in this clip, not United. The one asking the question is the idiot that went to Lisbon for a week and told everyone it was done every day when it wasn't.
Okay but everything else is valid. Spurs put in an insultingly low bid for him and we signed him for not much more because Sporting were desperate. But we have been keeping tabs on him for a while, which I just assume is natural as everyone knows everyone in football.

Cnaiür urs Skiötha

I like Bruno and think he brings a lot to the table what we needed.
However, he makes a lot of bad decisions and misplaced passes. Tries to be too clever a lot of times.
If he works on making his game and decision making more clinical he surely will become one of the best players in the league.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
However, he makes a lot of bad decisions and misplaced passes. Tries to be too clever a lot of times.
If he works on making his game and decision making more clinical he surely will become one of the best players in the league.
I think he’s very, very similar to Pogba in that regard. Thing is sometimes you have to be clever with your passes in his position, otherwise your team is going to lack penetration.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
It’s almost like playing highly rewarding passes in terms of chance creation also have high level of risk to them not working out!

Aouer-United

I believe we don't have a system for Bruno to thrive yet, his decisions makings is more spontaneous, everything goes through him and hope he could do something with the ball, that's why Bruno will try more risky passes even if it ends up more unsuccessful but he keeps doing it because we don't have a system for him and instructed him with a specific task.

Ole need to set up a system in place for everyone to thrive and iron out their decision making with instruction for them, like for an example in City game, there were a couple of opportunities that could be the goal if they made the right decision, such as cutback passes to Bruno, Bruno could score a goal off Jame's cutback passes before Ederson get back to positioning properly to save shots.

I feel like Bruno would be better if he operates in half-space against deep low block defending team, he could cross from half-space where Pogba can run to box with Rashford go to the far post to attempt header and Bruno has to keep spamming cross/through ball to the box side until it worked. He could run the box from half-space from cutbacks passes by winger/fullback. In half-space, he could pass through ball to the winger on the flank to bypass defending the line to pass cutback, square and cross to the box so it can create a chance as well as creating space for Bruno or Pogba outside box. Bruno has to be the creative force as well as off-ball movement for a cutback on the counter-attack before they get back to the positioning and leave no space for us.

Reactions: Invictus

Santoryo

ripping the reward
We dragged on this whole summer and almost till end of winter transfer window, if there was an genuine intention from player then he would've chosen Spurs last summer plus I didn't see another club had shown similar like us towards him, that's might be because player could've already made up his mind to move to United.
There was a video where a guy asked Bruno a question about which would be his preferred destination to the PL and he replied any team would do as long as he gets his move to the PL.

The guy was asking that question while Bruno was getting into his car. So saying that he'd only made up his mind to come to United is factually wrong. Bruno was desperate for a move to the PL, not necessarily just United.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
It is something for him and us as a team to work on, for sure. You'll have people say "better to have a player who takes chances" as usual, but the trade off isn't really necessary. The very best attacking midfielders tend to cut out that sloppiness (or reduce it to minimal). And we as a team have to help our creative or attacking players like Fernandes, Martial etc by giving them a more fluid team that doesn't get suffocated by a press or pushed into making rushed decisions.

Mani

There was a video where a guy asked Bruno a question about which would be his preferred destination to the PL and he replied any team would do as long as he gets his move to the PL.

The guy was asking that question while Bruno was getting into his car. So saying that he'd only made up his mind to come to United is factually wrong. Bruno was desperate for a move to the PL, not necessarily just United.
For obvious reasons he can't say that he only want the Man united move, which possible could bring down his transfer value.Anyway this discussion in futile atm.

RooneyLegend

He shows what's wrong with football today. Teams these days go ambling about with no playmakers and somehow expect to create lots of chances. Since he's come in he's given our side some direction.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Our Portuguese League 'captures' in the last 20 years, range from decent (at least) to GOAT, with Anderson as the outlier. Maybe we should buy more from there.

Pound per pound, the ROI are excellent.

ElectroManiac

Our Portuguese League 'captures' in the last 20 years, range from decent (at least) to GOAT, with Anderson as the outlier. Maybe we should buy more from there.

Just check Wolves how good they are doing with their Portuguese League captures.

Vault Dweller

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020

Agreed, we do quite well with players from the Portuguese league. @SportingCP96 can you recommend any more players?? I need to feed the Muppet :drool: :devil:

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
Agreed, we do quite well with players from the Portuguese league. @SportingCP96 can you recommend any more players?? I need to feed the Muppet :drool: :devil:
If you want one from Sporting there is not much to look at in the current state we are in. There is some talent coming through at Porto and Benfica though.

:)

SportingCP96

Supports
The player Chelsea are currently being linked with seems quite a good player, Telles. I watch Porto sometimes and think he seems quite good.
Best left back in the league by far and overall a very solid player. He is strong and has a good positional sense:awareness. Additionally he is a threat on the offensive end, gets a bunch of assists off of his set piece taking ability and even has some goals to his name as he is not opposed to letting one fly. I think he can be a good player in the league, he has all the physical and technical traits to succeed in the left back position.

Vault Dweller

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Best left back in the league by far and overall a very solid player. He is strong and has a good positional sense:awareness. Additionally he is a threat on the offensive end, gets a bunch of assists off of his set piece taking ability and even has some goals to his name as he is not opposed to letting one fly. I think he can be a good player in the league, he has all the physical and technical traits to succeed in the left back position.
Yea he seems a very good full back. Very exciting and if wasn't for the fact Shaw has started playing really well and we have a very good young player in Williams, I would have liked to have seen United go for him. The fact Periera joined Leicester and has shown how good a player he is maybe has urged Chelsea to go for Telles too. This he will be an excellent purchase for them.

SportingCP96

Supports

I have said this before but he is by far the best player I have seen at Sporting with my own two eyes. Absolute class!

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag

I have said this before but he is by far the best player I have seen at Sporting with my own two eyes. Absolute class!
He has a great character in him with good leadership skills. He plays like a true playmaker, always checking what is around him first before receiving passes, great vision, knows what to do to make passes & he has quick feet that opposition players will not easily disposed him. Definitely nowhere near Mkhitaryan style, much more similar to Scholes but with less % of passing accuracy due to his intention always to play risky passes. Great player & great potential.

Status
Not open for further replies.