7.0 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chairman Steve

His recent video conference interview shows he has a lot of insight, intelligence and charisma. No canned, rehearsed tropes and cliches issued by PR out of his mouth despite English not being his native language. You can see him being a captain or one of the squad leaders at least. He screams future manager material.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
His recent video conference interview shows he has a lot of insight, intelligence and charisma. No canned, rehearsed tropes and cliches issued by PR out of his mouth despite English not being his native language. You can see him being a captain or one of the squad leaders at least. He screams future manager material.
Yeah he’s a class act on and off the pitch.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
:shakeshead:
Not sure why....The impact Bruno has had on the team in his short time, I’m hoping he goes onto be a great like Rooney, Cantona, RVP that type of effect. Sorry if you don’t think he’s that good, There’s no guarantees of course but he looks a special talent so far.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
Not sure why....The impact Bruno has had on the team in his short time, I’m hoping he goes onto be a great like Rooney, Cantona, RVP that type of effect. Sorry if you don’t think he’s that good, There’s no guarantees of course but he looks a special talent so far.
I like Bruno. Your view on Carrick was what disappointed me. I think you know that though. Each to their own.

Handré1990

Really good interview. Thought it was going to be the usual 'massive club' 'the fans' etc etc etc. It was at the start but some nice insight in to how he was welcomed by the rest of the lads. Especially from 11:50 onwards where he mentioned dishing out PS4 controllers to AWB, DDG, Fred and Dalot.

Finally got around to watching this, glad I did. He’s a classy guy!

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
I like Bruno. Your view on Carrick was what disappointed me. I think you know that though. Each to their own.
It disappointed you that I hope Bruno is better than Carrick ? He’s looked sensational so far...so unless you think Carrick is up there with Rooney,Cantona,RVP then I’m not sure what the problem is?

Rish Sawhney

It disappointed you that I hope Bruno is better than Carrick ? He’s looked sensational so far...so unless you think Carrick is up there with Rooney,Cantona,RVP then I’m not sure what the problem is?
Carrick was one of the best deep lying playmakers of his generation. World class in every sense of the word for about 4 years from 2009 - 2013. In fact Carrick was one of the primary reasons of us breaking our league drought in 2006-07.

If Bruno is going to be better than Carrick he's got a lot of work ahead of him. He's gotta win more than 5 League titles and more than 1 Champions League.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
What you implied about Carrick and what you subsequently said about him was disappointing. He’s one of my favourite players though, so suppose I am biased.

As an aside, RvP was very, very good, but not sure he belongs in such company.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
What you implied about Carrick and what you subsequently said about him was disappointing. He’s one of my favourite players though, so suppose I am biased.

In terms of top level talent inspiring his team to the title, how could you miss him out?

Feed Me

I'm hungry
In terms of top level talent inspiring his team to the title, how could you miss him out?
There’s way more on the list before Van Persie. We are lucky to have had so many great players. People like Yorke and Cole, for example, never get a mention. Yorkie notched 29 and Cole 25 in our Treble season, only 1 and 5 less respectively than Van Persie in 12/13, plus I would be interested to see assist stats.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Carrick was one of the best deep lying playmakers of his generation. World class in every sense of the word for about 4 years from 2009 - 2013. In fact Carrick was one of the primary reasons of us breaking our league drought in 2006-07.

If Bruno is going to be better than Carrick he's got a lot of work ahead of him. He's gotta win more than 5 League titles and more than 1 Champions League.
Carrick was excellent but not among the very best. I don't know about that posters views on Carrick but he's correct that he was never at the level of Scholes, Rooney, Cantona etc i.e our/the top top players.

So of course it would be great if he goes on to be a better footballer than Carrick although I don't think he needs to win "5 leagues and a CL" to do that. At the same time I agree that if he performs at that level you have to be very happy considering Carrick was great for us.

amolbhatia50k

Maybe not for us, but overall RVP was the best player in the league for around 2.5 or 3 years. I'm sure the poster just means "elite level" players in general.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
Maybe not for us, but overall RVP was the best player in the league for around 2.5 or 3 years. I'm sure the poster just means "elite level" players in general.
RvP was elite level if you consider his entire career. I’m pretty convinced the poster was talking about him in a United context though.

amolbhatia50k

RvP was elite level if you consider his entire career. I’m pretty convinced the poster was talking about him in a United context though.
He came to is pretty. When you sign a 28/29 year, delivering one inspiring season which gives you the title is pretty great considering it was followed by the Moyes debacle. Either way I think you're taking the mention of RVP bit too seriously. In general he's a good example of players who inspire and win games.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
He came to is pretty. When you sign a 28/29 year, delivering one inspiring season which gives you the title is pretty great considering it was followed by the Moyes debacle. Either way I think you're taking the mention of RVP bit too seriously. In general he's a good example of players who inspire and win games.
Yeah, I take your point. But we tend to overrate the impact of some players while denigrating others, hence his rather dismissive stance towards Carrick who was a vital facilitator in his pomp. The RvP reference is not important, but he mentioned him so I thought it was worth a response.

The lack of appreciation of a player like Carrick comes back to the modern day obsession with ‘clutch’ players, plus G&A records. The fact is, football has and always will be a team sport, meaning players like Carrick, who are a constant part of the starting team during our most trophy laden period, should be given due deference.

This whole thing started because the poster dismissed a club icon rather dismissively, in favour of a player who has been here for five minutes. Sums up the short termism of football, I’m afraid.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
This whole thing started because the poster dismissed a club icon rather dismissively, in favour of a player who has been here for five minutes. Sums up the short termism of football, I’m afraid.
Exactly this

Rajma

I've never been so wrong about anything football related since I wasn't convinced by this transfer, boy did he make me feel stupid (thankfully).

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
Yeah, I take your point. But we tend to overrate the impact of some players while denigrating others, hence his rather dismissive stance towards Carrick who was a vital facilitator in his pomp. The RvP reference is not important, but he mentioned him so I thought it was worth a response.

The lack of appreciation of a player like Carrick comes back to the modern day obsession with ‘clutch’ players, plus G&A records. The fact is, football has and always will be a team sport, meaning players like Carrick, who are a constant part of the starting team during our most trophy laden period, should be given due deference.

It’s fine if Carrick is a club icon to you, for me he was a good player like many others but to you he’s one of your favourite ever players, so there’s never going to be an agreement there.

I’ll repeat that Bruno has looked sensational, so the HOPE from me is that he joins the elite players who have played for us, such as RVP who although short term, due to age, had a transformative effect on the team and were talismanic. He may not and simply go on to be a Carrick, that’d be fine. Good service over a long period is always good.

I feel though you underestimate how good Bruno is going to be for us. If I’m wrong I’ll hold my hands up but I think he’s a star.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
It’s fine if Carrick is a club icon to you, for me he was a good player like many others but to you he’s one of your favourite ever players, so there’s never going to be an agreement there.

I’ll repeat that Bruno has looked sensational, so the HOPE from me is that he joins the elite players who have played for us, such as RVP who although short term, due to age, had a transformative effect on the team and were talismanic. He may not and simply go on to be a Carrick, that’d be fine. Good service over a long period is always good.

I feel though you underestimate how good Bruno is going to be for us. If I’m wrong I’ll hold my hands up but I think he’s a star.
I’m not underestimating Bruno at all. I really like what I’ve seen so far but will reserve judgment on the basis that he hasn’t — I believe — even played 10 games yet.

Carrick has put up the appearance numbers and has the medals to comfortably qualify as a club icon. He suffers in the eyes of the FIFA video game and social media generation in respect of how he is rated. Given his CV and the various glowing testimonials from people within the game though, I very much doubt he cares.

Have a look at this take from Arsenal Wenger on the 12/13 season: https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.th...r/26/arsene-wenger-michael-carrick-van-persie

Certainly food for thought, and even if you disagree, the fact that Carrick was part of the debate shows how integral he was.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
Exactly this
I said I hoped he’d be better, I didn’t state he is better or has done more.

The reason for the hope is the acknowledgement that he’s been here five minutes. Can we not hope that someone who has looked sensational goes on to be on a level with some of the best players to have ever played for us ? For example I see comparisons in his game to Scholes. He could have an impact like Cantona or RVP. A career for us like Rooney. That’s my hope.

Is this really dismissive of a player just because he didn’t get to their level ? He was still good at what he did and had an outstanding season. Unless you think Carrick belongs in company with Scholes, Rooney, Cantona, RVP ?

Feed Me

I'm hungry

The reason for the hope is the acknowledgement that he’s been here five minutes. Can we not hope that someone who has looked sensational goes on to be on a level with some of the best players to have ever played for us ? For example I see comparisons in his game to Scholes. He could have an impact like Cantona or RVP. A career for us like Rooney. That’s my hope.

Is this really dismissive of a player just because he didn’t get to their level ? He was still good at what he did and had an outstanding season. Unless you think Carrick belongs in company with Scholes, Rooney, Cantona, RVP ?
It just feels like you are being dismissive of Carrick. By the way, you are undermining your own argument by chucking RvP into the mix. Carrick has unquestionably done more for United.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan

Actually you said Carrick has had a "minor impact" which is just crazy. Carrick's role was integral in our title challenges, to suggest otherwise is a bit odd.

If he can help us to half the honours Carrick did, we’ll be grand.
But that’s a different matter, unless you’re suggesting Carrick was the main reason for the trophies and not VDS, Rio,Vidic,Evra,Scholes,Giggs,Rooney,Ronaldo,RVP plus the squad factor....players like Tevez, Nani, Berbatov, Brown, GNev etc.

Carrick was a minor factor, Bruno if we are successful I have no doubt will be a major factor, like the bolded players of that squad. Once those players had left, declined (Rooney) then Carrick really wasn’t very successful.

our squad still has a little way to go at best, before it can be compared to the successful squads Carrick was lucky enough to be part of.
Yes, because his importance to the team and our titles was integral, just in a fashion that is not as tangible as goals and assists, which is a barometer that's easy to identify with your named players.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
I’m not underestimating Bruno at all. I really like what I’ve seen so far but will reserve judgment on the basis that he hasn’t — I believe — even played 10 games yet.

Carrick has put up the appearance numbers and has the medals to comfortably qualify as a club icon. He suffers in the eyes of the FIFA video game and social media generation in respect of how he is rated. Given his CV and the various glowing testimonials from people within the game though, I very much doubt he cares.

Have a look at this take from Arsenal Wenger on the 12/13 season: https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.th...r/26/arsene-wenger-michael-carrick-van-persie

Certainly food for thought, and even if you disagree, the fact that Carrick was part of the debate shows how integral he was.
I’m not interested in what someone from within the game has to say and I don’t play FIFA. David May can show his medals to Shearer. Carrick was a good player no one is really going to say anything different, for me you’re either saying Carrick was as good as the players I mentioned or you’re arguing with me over nothing, because you like Carrick and I’ve said I hope someone is better? Like George Best, Charlton and Ronaldo weren’t better ? We’ve never had better players than Carrick ? Ffs.

As for the five minutes, that’s why it’s ‘hope’. Surprised I should have to explain that. Id get you throwing your toys out of your pram if I said he’s done more in his time than Carrick. Of course I haven’t. I just hope, based on what he’s done so far that he goes on to be a Rooney, Cantona type player. Talismanic.

Is that ok for you ?

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia

Also on the article you posted it seems to be about that season he had that I’ve already acknowledged ?

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I’m not interested in what someone from within the game has to say and I don’t play FIFA. David May can show his medals to Shearer. Carrick was a good player no one is really going to say anything different, for me you’re either saying Carrick was as good as the players I mentioned or you’re arguing with me over nothing, because you like Carrick and I’ve said I hope someone is better? Like George Best, Charlton and Ronaldo weren’t better ? We’ve never had better players than Carrick ? Ffs.

As for the five minutes, that’s why it’s ‘hope’. Surprised I should have to explain that. Id get you throwing your toys out of your pram if I said he’s done more in his time than Carrick. Of course I haven’t. I just hope, based on what he’s done so far that he goes on to be a Rooney, Cantona type player. Talismanic.

Is that ok for you ?
Carrick had a major influence on games akin to the players you have named, albeit not in an obvious magical way such as exploding with a burst of pace past players, or banging in belters. He was relied upon heavily to control the tempo of games towards the favour of the team, so that players you named can perform in a favourable environment to really hurt the opposition.

His role to the team was of absolute vital importance and when fit he would be one of the first names on the teamsheet for a reason.

Feed Me

I'm hungry

Is that ok for you ?
I’m throwing my toys out of the pram? Have a look at your own tone. I haven’t once been rude to you, I have simply taken issue with a statement you made which I thought was fair game on a football forum.

I am shocked anyone interested in football would be disinterested by the opinion of one of the best managers in English football history, but that’s your prerogative I guess.

Your David May comparison is complete false equivalency. May was clearly always a squad player / back up while Carrick was clearly always a first pick player during the club’s most successful era. Ferguson once said, “I don’t have wimps in my team”. He wasn’t picking Carrick out of charity, the bloke could seriously play.

I clearly hope Bruno has a Cantonaesque impact but if he only has a Carrickesque impact then he will still go down as a club icon.

The whole premise of your argument is why players are either GOAT or crap in modern football debate, there’s never anything in between. What’s wrong with being really, really fecking good?

Feed Me

I'm hungry
Also on the article you posted it seems to be about that season he had that I’ve already acknowledged ?
I thought it was interesting that Carrick was being mentioned as a PotY candidate in a season you said Van Persie was transformative for us. Clearly more than a passenger.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
Carrick had a major influence on games akin to the players you have named, albeit not in an obvious magical way such as exploding with a burst of pace past players, or banging in belters. He was relied upon heavily to control the tempo of games towards the favour of the team, so that players you named can perform in a favourable environment to really hurt the opposition.

His role to the team was of absolute vital importance and when fit he would be one of the first names on the teamsheet for a reason.
Yep. Carrick was the type of high class facilitator that every winning team needs. Take a look at where classic Galactico teams over the years without enough Carricks ended up.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Yep. Carrick was the type of high class facilitator that every winning team needs. Take a look at where classic Galactico teams over the years without enough Carricks ended up.
It's like pointing to Busquets in his prime and saying "oh but he didn't do what Messi/Villa/Iniesta did so it's a minor impact".

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
Actually you said Carrick has had a "minor impact" which is just crazy. Carrick's role was integral in our title challenges, to suggest otherwise is a bit odd.

Yes, because his importance to the team and our titles was integral, just in a fashion that is not as tangible as goals and assists, which is a barometer that's easy to identify with your named players.
Ok well that’s fine. You’re entitled to your opinion. If to you Carrick was as good as the players I listed, Scholes, Rooney, Cantona and RVP. Them I’m certainly not going to be able to influence your opinion.

I find that bizarre though, totally disagree. There are players who are part of success and players who are the reason for it. An example I haven’t cited, because Bruno won’t reach this level, is Ronaldo. Once he’d gone success fell away. Players like Rooney and RVP took us on but not to the same heights.

I hope this makes sense, basically it’s a team game but individuals within that team aren’t all equal. Unless Carrick was as good as Ronaldo too ?

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Ok well that’s fine. You’re entitled to your opinion. If to you Carrick was as good as the players I listed, Scholes, Rooney, Cantona and RVP. Them I’m certainly not going to be able to influence your opinion.

I find that bizarre though, totally disagree. There are players who are part of success and players who are the reason for it. An example I haven’t cited, because Bruno won’t reach this level, is Ronaldo. Once he’d gone success fell away. Players like Rooney and RVP took us on but not to the same heights.

I hope this makes sense, basically it’s a team game but individuals within that team aren’t all equal. Unless Carrick was as good as Ronaldo too ?
No, Ronaldo was one of the best players of all time.

Carrick was as influential as all of your named players because his role was so integral to how we were able to play our football. Without him the tempo of various matches would have been far more difficult to control. He was able to recycle the ball so well for us, intercept so many plays from the opposition, kill games off, quicken play up, all of it. Just because he wasn't a flair player which seems to be the consistent feature across all your named players, doesn't mean he was not absolutely integral to our play.

Out of curiosity, are you suggesting say, Busquets was also a minor cog for Barcelona?

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
I thought it was interesting that Carrick was being mentioned as a PotY candidate in a season you said Van Persie was transformative for us. Clearly more than a passenger.
He had an excellent season that season, but we as a team weren’t great. Its moments that win you football matches and it was RVP that produced the moments so often that season. Like Cantona in 96. Of course others played their part in 96 we had Keane Bruce Pallister Schmeichel etc.

Anyway I’m done, I’m arguing with two people that Are claiming Carrick was as good as Rooney Cantona and Scholes.

Ridiculous.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
It's like pointing to Busquets in his prime and saying "oh but he didn't do what Messi/Villa/Iniesta did so it's a minor impact".
Busquets is a great reference point. He’s another reason that Carrick is criminally underrated. As though it’s some sort of shame that he wasn’t quite on that level. Although, if you swapped Carrick into that Barca side, I think the end result would be the same.

Someone said it earlier in the thread, but worth reiterating. Carrick was a rare breed in that his defensive screening game was on par with his outstanding passing game, which meant we did not have to waste a position for a water carrier.

Anyway, I have probably derailed the Bruno thread enough, so will stop now.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
He had an excellent season that season, but we as a team weren’t great. Its moments that win you football matches and it was RVP that produced the moments so often that season. Like Cantona in 96. Of course others played their part in 96 we had Keane Bruce Pallister Schmeichel etc.

Anyway I’m done, I’m arguing with two people that Are claiming Carrick was as good as Rooney Cantona and Scholes.

Ridiculous.
Neither of us said anything of that ilk but comprehension clearly isn’t your strong suit so, yes, let’s leave it there.

Status
Not open for further replies.