7.0 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

redshaw

Very good player but feel sorry he has to play with some of the dross. He has a look on his face already like he has come back from a Vietnam war and seen some shit. Totally understandable and hope we can add some more class this summer.

ReddBalls

Stop talking shit mate.

Maguire had one good game and now you give him as an example? Go check his thread and see people's opinions on him before the Chelsea game. He's nowhere near his Leicester level.

Our other two signings James and AWB both started well and then their form went to shit. Matic, who you gave as an example, was really got at the beginning of his time here, we used to laugh at Chelsea for selling him, and after a few months, people were calling him Championship level player.

Fred took almost two years to perform at this level.

And there are many similar examples. Almost every player we signed after Fergie retired, really.

So based on what we saw in the last few years, it's quite often that a new signing starts well than their performance levels drop.
I don't disagree that players performances has dropped "since Fergie". In fact, most players signed under LvG and José dropped off at some point. Regarding the players signed this summer, I'd give you James, although I think he overachieved at the start of the season.

Defensive stats will tell you that Maguire and AWB has made United more solid at the back, though. Regarding Matic, I gave you the explanation. Even though it took Fred almost two years (it was one) to perform at this level, he is playing at a level above what he did before joining United. Is that "turning to shit"?

And if these players "went to shit" but now suddenly perform again, why do you think that is?

Uniteds problem this season was on full display tonight: The squad players are nowhere good enough. Look what happened when Fred and Fernandes replaced Pereira and Dalot.

eire-red

Bruno, Pogba, Fred, McTominay and Matic is a strong midfield when all fit. If we somehow manage to motivate and focus Pobga on Man Utd, then I think there is a real good blend of flair, creativity, steel and graft in that midfield 5.

For me, if we manage to keep Pogba, we should be looking at a spend of 200m in the summer on maybe 3/4 players. CF and RW are a must, and a top CB to partner Maguire and we're a different team. Maybe add a LB to that list as well.

With Bruno, I feel like before he came we were really light in midfield, but after only a few appearances it feels like he could bring all that we've been missing in that attacking midfield role. And I love the talk about him being a character and leader. We've lacked real leaders for a while now, and it's probably why if Pobga leaves i would want to replace him with Grealish over Madidson.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Like Pogba he just has that look about him that instantly makes you realise he's a level above on the ball.

There was a little pass around the corner to Mata that completely fooled the defender at 1 stage and I just thought yep, he's got it.

The tempo he came on at also made a huge improvement, he hit the ground running and desperately wanted to score, and came close a few times.

He is so so good, and actually exciting to watch.

ash_86

We started to click offensively when he came into the game . Reminded me of Fergie's last season when introducing scholes would give the same bump in quality / control of the game.

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Wow. Just wow. A proper, naturally talented footballer. He is the standard for players we need at United.
Just compare his touch, control, technique and decision making to the clowns Lingard and Perreira. It will show you where our team belongs

Adamsk7

So are we saying Ole is 4 for 4 on transfers then (James I know Jury is out but first season and a real step up in opposition. He’ll improve and be at least a decent squad player)?

That’s one area we really should give him credit. Obvious signings but good ones.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Stop talking shit mate.

Maguire had one good game and now you give him as an example? Go check his thread and see people's opinions on him before the Chelsea game. He's nowhere near his Leicester level.

Our other two signings James and AWB both started well and then their form went to shit. Matic, who you gave as an example, was really got at the beginning of his time here, we used to laugh at Chelsea for selling him, and after a few months, people were calling him Championship level player.

Fred took almost two years to perform at this level.

And there are many similar examples. Almost every player we signed after Fergie retired, really.

So based on what we saw in the last few years, it's quite often that a new signing starts well than their performance levels drop.

Maguire has ranged from Solid to a few Captain Commander performances. He's had one truly bad game this season. This one.

AWB started well, and has continued to play well.. what are you even talking about? The only player you have an argument for is Daniel James, who is in fact struggling to make things happen. Mate, even the advanced metrics says AWB is playing well. Even whoscored ranks AWB as no. 28th overall in the EPL this season.

I'm sure he's not passing your eyesight test if you think he's been bad, but perhaps Samuel Luckhurst can give you the number of a good optician?

arnie_ni

So are we saying Ole is 4 for 4 on transfers then (James I know Jury is out but first season and a real step up in opposition. He’ll improve and be at least a decent squad player)?

That’s one area we really should give him credit. Obvious signings but good ones.
Well, he's 6 months to late on bruno, no?

reddevil702

As much as I dislike Ole as our manager, the one thing he can get credit for is transfers. Not only in but those shipped out. The squad will be much better for the next manager especially after they get to bring in another 2-3 players this summer. Bruno has made an instant impact!

ReddBalls

I'd agree to that. James, as a squad player, is miles ahead of Lingard and Pereira.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
I don't care what happens in training, he should be taking all the free kicks.

Utdstar01

Up to the 82nd minute in the game we had 8 shots all game. Bruno comes on and from the 82nd minute to full time we had 8 shots in that time.

He'sRaldo

Like Pogba he just has that look about him that instantly makes you realise he's a level above on the ball.

There was a little pass around the corner to Mata that completely fooled the defender at 1 stage and I just thought yep, he's got it.

The tempo he came on at also made a huge improvement, he hit the ground running and desperately wanted to score, and came close a few times.

He is so so good, and actually exciting to watch.
That was such a clever pass, never seen the like from Lingard/ Andreas all season.

What a welcome change from all the sideways and backwards stuff of our infamous 3.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
That was such a clever pass, never seen the like from Lingard/ Andreas all season.

What a welcome change from all the sideways and backwards stuff of our infamous 3.
Yep, I was so sure he was about to turn backwards or just pass wide, but nope a player that actually passes forward!

He then proceeded to follow his pass with a sprint! Shocking :eek: Simple things our usual lads just don't manage.

PLEASE PLEASE can we get a few games with Pogba and Fernandes together.

A 3-5-2 together Fred and Mctominay at the base, Pogba and Fernandes ahead with Martial as the striker!

Zen86

It’s early days but he’s a tidy player, the kind of player we’ve been wanting for probably the last 10 years. Here’s hoping the rest of the team can keep up.

He'sRaldo

Yep, I was so sure he was about to turn backwards or just pass wide, but nope a player that actually passes forward!

He then proceeded to follow his pass with a sprint! Shocking :eek: Simple things our usual lads just don't manage.

A 3-5-2 together Fred and Mctominay at the base, Pogba and Fernandes ahead with Martial as the striker!
Agreed. We need to do this quickly, before the usual suspects are able to drag Bruno down to their level and ruin his confidence.

Ideally, we shouldn't see the amigos starting another match again, they should only be used as bodies to help with rotation and fatigue(although I may be a tiny bit harsh on Mata with that)

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.

Mentioned the same in Fred thread.

Let's hope Pogba and Scott is back before City game.

Godfather

Mate before Pogba returns he'll have any proper footballing instincts "coached" out of him

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
Luckily he's used to carrying a shit team eh @SportingCP96 ;)
Trust me he is not complaining about the United team when you compare it to the pub team that is sporting.

So should I mark this one up as another win for me in the Portuguese talents or is it still too early to tell?

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
Changed everything from the second he came on. His pass for Mata was wicked. Our attacking play looks like it is about to take a step forward. Rashford, when he’s back), Martial and James should love this guy.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
He is so good, when he came on all of a sudden we looked couple of levels better. He always made line breaking passes and found Mata in good positions. Mata also looked useful player when Bruno came on.

Meep

The only bad thing he did was making his teammates look like amateurs earlier on in the game. Raising the bar like Duplantis.

That kinda depends, as we are unaware if these signings are names Ole threw into the hat, or Phelan, or the rest of our scouting team on the transfer committee. Since we changed the way we do transfer business it's hard to say if the manager should get full credit, or just credit for not vetoing a transfer.
The Summer of 2018 is when we changed that and why Mourinho lost his shit; we can be rather certain Dalot was a Mourinho name, Fred possibly wasn't. Maguire, AWB, James and Bruno though, 3 of them were such obvious signings and the forth is looking more and more "meh" by the week so who knows really?

So yes, credit needs to go to the management team and club for getting 3 of 4 signings looking like they are right, 4 of 6 if we include Fred and Dalot.

Moiraine

Maguire has ranged from Solid to a few Captain Commander performances. He's had one truly bad game this season. This one.

AWB started well, and has continued to play well.. what are you even talking about? The only player you have an argument for is Daniel James, who is in fact struggling to make things happen. Mate, even the advanced metrics says AWB is playing well. Even whoscored ranks AWB as no. 28th overall in the EPL this season.

I'm sure he's not passing your eyesight test if you think he's been bad, but perhaps Samuel Luckhurst can give you the number of a good optician?
Why you criticizing him personally?
Eyesight test ... optician... what the hell...

You should never insult the poster, just criticize the post. That is very unethical and against the rules of this forum. I hope moderators talk to you about it.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Why you criticizing him personally?
Eyesight test ... optician... what the hell...

You should never insult the poster, just criticize the post. That is very unethical and against the rules of this forum. I hope moderators talk to you about it.
It was a jab in good humor. I'm sure you remember Samuel Luckhurst tweeting about Sander Berge arriving at Carrington for a medical, only to refute his own remark a bit later since it was someone else entirely. Specsavers tweeted at Luckhurst later.

My reference was to the common notion that the eyesight test beats statistics.

So if the eyesight test is insufficient, specsavers <-> Luckhurst.

Get it? I'm sorry if you woke up ready to be very offended. I apologise for my wording.

MiracleInMadrid

What I enjoy most is the tempo in his game. Often he passes on the first touch and then moves into open spaces. When he recieves the ball he mostly has already made up his mind of what he is going to do.

I just hope that his presence can push other players to also think faster, instead of taking too many touches while not looking up for options. Other players have come here and seem to have lost this way of playing after years without a clear and continuous tactical expression in the team.

What surprises/pleases/worries me the most is that it looks like Fred is the only one in our midfield and front line who is able to play to the tempo he sets.

Kurton

What I enjoy most is the tempo in his game. Often he passes on the first touch and then moves into open spaces. When he recieves the ball he mostly has already made up his mind of what he is going to do.

I just hope that his presence can push other players to also think faster, instead of taking too many touches while not looking up for options. Other players have come here and seem to have lost this way of playing after years without a clear and continuous tactical expression in the team.
But I could see that he got frustrated when some of the players choose to pass sideways when he made a run into space. I would wait some time to heap all those praises, others will bring him down to their level.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Trust me he is not complaining about the United team when you compare it to the pub team that is sporting.

So should I mark this one up as another win for me in the Portuguese talents or is it still too early to tell?
Probably too early but the signs are looking very promising so much so I can't believe no one signed him in the summer

kafta

Perpetual Under 11's Team Player
Can't help but laugh when a player comes on for 15 minutes and creates more than a whole midfield did in 75 minutes.

The tempo and the demand to get on the ball are things we've missed for a long time. Even with Pogba fit, he does tend or hold the ball for a couple of seconds or attempt a dribble out of midfield. With Bruno, as soon as he receives the ball, he knows whats next. We got this one right.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
I am not a fan who praises every new signing and i don't like any of our summer signings( except maybe AWB). But Bruno is the real deal. You can see class in his every move. He will be excellent signing. One of those players who makes every player around him better

MiracleInMadrid

But I could see that he got frustrated when some of the players choose to pass sideways when he made a run into space. I would wait some time to heap all those praises, others will bring him down to their level.
And that is exactly my concern.. Especially because of our diffuse tactical setup. It seems like most of our play against deep defending teams is based on hoping that individual moments will create opportunities.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout

What's your record? IIRC you said Renato Sanches is hype than substance, he isn't as good as media hype. We all know your posts on Bruno, so need to post anything on that.

So maybe we have Portuguese scout. :D

Btw, Bruno Fernandes is very good, I love players like him, who takes risks and creates chances. His work rate is amazing too, something you pointed out many times.

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
What's your record? IIRC you said Renato Sanches is hype than substance, he isn't as good as media hype. We all know your posts on Bruno, so need to post anything on that.

So maybe we have Portuguese scout. :D

Btw, Bruno Fernandes is very good, I love players like him, who takes risks and creates chances. His work rate is amazing too, something you pointed out many times.
I said Felix was not worth 120M and so far so good haha and then the rest was on all Sporting talents.

And ya I think Bruno will be a big player for United no doubt. They are on the right track.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Could have lowered our asking price for Pogba in August and bought Bruno and we'd probably be in top 4 easy now.

Alabaster Codify7

I bet he's wondering what on earth he's signed up for, here.

So far, so good though. Seems a very positive, attack-minded player and I like his style. I think he'll be worth the money as long as he's kept up top.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I'm cautious about new signings. I remember in Falcao's first few games people were hugely impressed by him having that 'bit of class' about him. Herrera had a lot of swagger about his game in his first pre season. Granted I actually belieev he was one of our better performers but maybe that early flair was reproduced only in fits and starts.

Glad Fernandes has impressed in his first few outings (specifically the last two games). But at the same time, want to see more before judging him.

Status
Not open for further replies.