Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Great goal. Everything else was absolutely terrible.

Lee565

That goal was pure magic, a reminder to the fans there isn't just only one great Portuguese player at the club

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
When he shot from our half in the opening period I was praying for it to go in. Got his worldy in the end though. What a banger!

All the nonsense about him being unable to play with Ronaldo was shown for what it was today: The wishful thinking of Liverpool supporting columnists.

It was obvious, with Bruno's pressing, work rate and tendency to push right up, that he was going to do the 'Dybala role' and join the attack to make a front two with Ronnie. The fact he doesn't do that for Portugal is down to Santos' tactics not Bruno as a player.

Bruno is actually the perfect #10 to play behind Ronaldo at this stage of Ronaldo's career. He has the energy to run beyond Ronaldo several times a game, whether that's in to space or to close down the opposition back line.

I could see him and Ronaldo having a 2002-03 Scholes and Van Nistlerooy type relationship this season.

tjb

When he shot from our half in the opening period I was praying for it to go in. Got his worldy in the end though. What a banger!

All the nonsense about him being unable to play with Ronaldo was shown for what it was today: The wishful thinking of Liverpool supporting columnists.

It was obvious, with Bruno's pressing, work rate and tendency to push right up, that he was going to do the 'Dybala role' and join the attack to make a front two with Ronnie. The fact he doesn't do that for Portugal is down to Santos' tactics not Bruno as a player.

Bruno is actually the perfect #10 to play behind Ronaldo at this stage of Ronaldo's career. He has the energy to run beyond Ronaldo several times a game, whether that's in to space or to close down the opposition back line.

I could see him and Ronaldo having a 2002-03 Scholes and Van Nistlerooy type relationship this season.
The actual problem Portugal has is they don't play Fernandes as the 10 he is at United. He struggles in a diamond because he likes to move and attack from behind. Portugal force him either deeper or in that role.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Too much of that for way too long now
I think he was trying too hard to make things happen. When he plays a more simpler game, he is a lot better and it also benefits us as a team in general.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
I thought he was good today. I actually think he’s better when you’re at the game. He’s extremely involved in every aspect of our play. You see it more in the stadium than on TV. The goal was absolutely brilliant. World class.

Sylar

He helped change our fortunes and expectations
Good goal

Some of his simple passing is frustrating and plays into opposition hand but you know you will get that over safe passing at 0-0

EtH

Pretty poor by his standards. But then. Laser. Always capable of something special even when he’s not at his best. And never stops trying. Love the guy.

SAFMUTD

Another average performance but what a goal, he's really something special. Even when he's not having his best game he can do something special.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Another average performance but what a goal, he's really something special. Even when he's not having his best game he can do something special.
That's what world class players do :keano:

criticalanalysis

I'm not sure that is neccessarily a good thing and it can be bit of a double edge sword. Pressing isn't an issue but the leaving of the central midfield areas and the uncoordinated presses is a problem especially when we have the midfield two we had today. I actually thought Pogba put in a decent shift today but it was clear as day he just doesn't have that discipline for it and it doesn't help when our four attacking players are almost a flat line in front of him i.e large gaps of space.

I've mentioned it before in this thread and to caveat, I don't believe Bruno's performances are the issue, it's the team structure and that's on Ole.

Fabulous goal today :drool:

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Seems to be turning more into a striker and losing his midfielder attributes. Still producing moments of magic but we dreams of him in midfield 3 are dying slowly. And rightly so, because he should be playing high up.

Stadjer

Great goal but not that great besides that great goal. In the first half he could have gotten an assist on Sancho but he passed behind Sancho which gave Newcastle the time to get close to Sancho. Hopefully he will play better in upcoming games.... and still score great goals.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Seems to be turning more into a striker and losing his midfielder attributes. Still producing moments of magic but we dreams of him in midfield 3 are dying slowly. And rightly so, because he should be playing high up.
Dreams can't be buy

kafta

Perpetual Under 11's Team Player
Having world class players in the squad means he doesn't have to be 10/10 every week. games like today, he does alright then scores a screamer. What an productive player, crazy stats. This team is going places.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Dreams can't be buy
:lol:
If anyone ever thought - and still thinks - Bruno Fernandes can play in a @3 Man Midfield they’re off their rocker.

PlayerOne

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Superb goal, hit it so perfectly. Also lovely pass to Ronaldo at the start of game, shame he couldn't bring it down.

Just needs to be a bit more careful with the ball in our own half, lets players come onto too easily. Southampton and this today.

I'm not sure that is neccessarily a good thing and it can be bit of a double edge sword. Pressing isn't an issue but the leaving of the central midfield areas and the uncoordinated presses is a problem especially when we have the midfield two we had today. I actually thought Pogba put in a decent shift today but it was clear as day he just doesn't have that discipline for it and it doesn't help when our four attacking players are almost a flat line in front of him i.e large gaps of space.

I've mentioned it before in this thread and to caveat, I don't believe Bruno's performances are the issue, it's the team structure and that's on Ole.

Fabulous goal today :drool:
I get your point. However, you will know we won't play like this all the time.

Against better sides Ole will undoubtedly revert to being compact and playing through Ronaldo on the break.

In those games, likely in front of McFred, Bruno's job won't be to run beyond but to add thickness to our midfield. He will be dropping into central areas, doubling up and looking for through balls on turnovers. Nothing we haven't seen from him several times already.

Ole is a pragmatic coach. He is not going to seek to impose such an open tactical setup on a Manchester derby. However, in games like today's, when the onus is on us to beat a lesser side, he will (IMO justifiably) trust his players to win individual duels across the park.

Is this approach as polished as the sort of methodical gameplan of a Conte? No. However, it is closer to what United has always done. Plus it puts the onus on the players to find solutions, which allows for more individual expression.

I don't necessarily see an issue with the team structure you do. I just see a different football philosophy at work.

Andersons Dietician

The Bruno of the first 30 mins I reckon would have struggled in the Sunday 7 aside league I play in. He sort of got better again once he started getting in to midfield and giving options. There was a moment Matic was bringing the ball forward clearly shaping to give it to Bruno who was in a decent spot then for some reason he turned and ran behind two Newcastle players to take away the passing option. He seems to do that a lot. It’s dead annoying and the pass to Sancho was very poor. Was an easy one as well but he killed the chance.

Goal was standard Bruno and an absolute cracker even if the goalkeeper should be doing better there.I really hope he and this team come together.

Dembeza

Came across a comment on Twitter that accurately describes him, Bruno plays like it’s injury time for the full 90 minutes.

criticalanalysis

I get your point. However, you will know we won't play like this all the time.

Against better sides Ole will undoubtedly revert to being compact and playing through Ronaldo on the break.

In those games, likely in front of McFred, Bruno's job won't be to run beyond but to add thickness to our midfield. He will be dropping into central areas, doubling up and looking for through balls on turnovers. Nothing we haven't seen from him several times already.

Ole is a pragmatic coach. He is not going to seek to impose such an open tactical setup on a Manchester derby. However, in games like today's, when the onus is on us to beat a lesser side, he will (IMO justifiably) trust his players to win individual duels across the park.

Is this approach as polished as the sort of methodical gameplan of a Conte? No. However, it is closer to what United has always done. Plus it puts the onus on the players to find solutions, which allows for more individual expression.

I don't necessarily see an issue with the team structure you do. I just see a different football philosophy at work.
I think we're reliant on 'individual duels' and 'brilliance' than team structure and would like more of a balance with strong fundamentals. For every Newcastle game there are Southamptons and Wolves, so again you'll need to careful what you accept or wish for. In the wider picture I'm not really concerned about these teams. However, if we want to really build something and go deep in competitions, you need to be utilising all the opportunity available to cement a footballing philosophy and that means reigning in or fine tuning individuals.

Whilst I am legit enjoying our performances, which reminisce of the hustle and bustle of old, I'm not sure I can trust the long term effectiveness. Under Ole, we've seen too many times, when we're fresh and have the superior talent, we are always capable of blitzing teams. The issue is when those qualities are reduced deep in the season and against managers than can recognise and nullify our unsophisticated tactics.

Trequarista10

Came across a comment on Twitter that accurately describes him, Bruno plays like it’s injury time for the full 90 minutes.
Yeah that nails it. Thats going to be one of those ideas that once you've noticed it you won't be able to unnotice it.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
You'll miss him when he's gone. All this "played shit but scored" just appreciate him while he's here doing that.

Not every player needs to be 100 per cent accurate in everything they do.

Phil

You'll miss him when he's gone. All this "played shit but scored" just appreciate him while he's here doing that.

Not every player needs to be 100 per cent accurate in everything they do.
Exactly.

Watching game of the day on Sky now and he just starts and makes so many moves. Love the guy.

The Uncle of All Uncles

What a goal by this guy. He took a few loose shots early on, glad he got a goal! Want to see him linking up with Ronaldo much more after this.

I think we're reliant on 'individual duels' and 'brilliance' than team structure and would like more of a balance with strong fundamentals. For every Newcastle game there are Southamptons and Wolves, so again you'll need to careful what you accept or wish for. In the wider picture I'm not really concerned about these teams. However, if we want to really build something and go deep in competitions, you need to be utilising all the opportunity available to cement a footballing philosophy and that means reigning in or fine tuning individuals.

Whilst I am legit enjoying our performances, which reminisce of the hustle and bustle of old, I'm not sure I can trust the long term effectiveness. Under Ole, we've seen too many times, when we're fresh and have the superior talent, we are always capable of blitzing teams. The issue is when those qualities are reduced deep in the season and against managers than can recognise and nullify our unsophisticated tactics.
I dunno. I think Zidane kinda blew up the idea that you need a clear structure to win the biggest honours. Arguably Lucho Enrique did too, as he changed Barcelona into just get it forward to the MSN as fast as you can.

If we get to the knockouts of the Champions League say, I expect Ole to come up with solutions on a game by game basis. As a coach that's one of his strengths.

You are right a lot depends on freshness and you don't want to be relying on Bruno doing something off the cuff if it's his 70th game of the season for club and country. Fatigue will clearly affect his decision making, execution and performance. However, we have a pretty deep squad now. So Ole should find ways of managing his workload.

criticalanalysis

I dunno. I think Zidane kinda blew up the idea that you need a clear structure to win the biggest honours. Arguably Lucho Enrique did too, as he changed Barcelona into just get it forward to the MSN as fast as you can.

If we get to the knockouts of the Champions League say, I expect Ole to come up with solutions on a game by game basis. As a coach that's one of his strengths.

You are right a lot depends on freshness and you don't want to be relying on Bruno doing something off the cuff if it's his 70th game of the season for club and country. Fatigue will clearly affect his decision making, execution and performance. However, we have a pretty deep squad now. So Ole should find ways of managing his workload.
I'm enjoying our little discussion but come on man comparing the Madrid and Barca, two horse league teams with their GOATs and world class, world cup, super experienced players to our situation :lol: ! Although having said that, I do believe our squad quality and depth this season is as close as it can be to achieving this 'one game at a time' (to put it harshly) footballing philosophy. With Ronaldo, who knows :drool:

Highfather_24

It was obvious, with Bruno's pressing, work rate and tendency to push right up, that he was going to do the 'Dybala role' and join the attack to make a front two with Ronnie. The fact he doesn't do that for Portugal is down to Santos' tactics not Bruno as a player. Bruno is actually the perfect #10 to play behind Ronaldo at this stage of Ronaldo's career. He has the energy to run beyond Ronaldo several times a game, whether that's in to space or to close down the opposition back line.

This is exactly what I said when we signed Ronaldo. Top post.

I'm enjoying our little discussion but come on man comparing the Madrid and Barca, two horse league teams with their GOATs and world class, world cup, super experienced players to our situation :lol: ! Although having said that, I do believe our squad quality and depth this season is as close as it can be to achieving this 'one game at a time' (to put it harshly) footballing philosophy. With Ronaldo, who knows :drool:
I wasn't so much comparing the quality of the squads. Just that Zidane and Enrique did not win the Champions League by having defined structures to their sides.

Enrique moved decisively away from the structure that made Barcelona great, by minimising orchestrated play through midfield. Zidane, on many occasions, just set Madrid up to let Ronaldo do Ronaldo things. I am sure we all remember the last minute saves and so on. Not that I have any issues about that. Just using it as an example of great individuals being trusted to find solutions, rather than drilled into specific patterns.

As you say, with Ronaldo who knows? Nothing he ain't done before.

This is exactly what I said when we signed Ronaldo. Top post.
Ah, missed that. Glad someone else saw it.

For me, there are few #10s or second strikers who compliment today's Cristiano like Bruno does.

Blood Mage

It's strange that he plays like a midfielder for Portugal but like a second striker for us. If it's a tactical instruction then it's a bad one because he needs to drop deeper and help out the other midfielders a lot more.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
He started the game poorly but grew into it and I thought he was playing well by the time he was substituted.

Status
Not open for further replies.