6.1 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

AndySmith1990

Clearly he's one of our most productive and influential players. But feck he's frustrating and incredibly wasteful at times. He'd be a better player if he knew when to just keep things simple during a game. Sometimes we're getting overrun and in desperate need of some control. But he (and tbf most other players) carry on doing the same shit and constantly losing possession, which piles the pressure on us

Oranges038

How does Bruno have an average 6.1 match rating? :lol:
I'd imagine a lot of the average ratings are being skewed by the few really poor games. For the 7-0 Liverpool game he got 1.6

So, if you take 4 really poor PL games as being Brighton, Brentford, Liverpool & City for example. Even if he got 7 for every other game and 3 for each of those, that still works out at average of 6.5 per game. If you look at his form per the ratings, there's some real peaks and troughs in there.

BigBebe

As well as his contributions with respect to goals, assists and chances created the fact that he basically became team captain this season. He has to put up with Big-Man Maguire coming on and taking the armband off him for the last 3 minutes of a few games but Bruno accepted that even though it is clear that he is now defacto, the club captain.

Also, it was clear that our defence was much weaker without Varane and our midfield without Casimero but the fact is Bruno was always available and pretty much always played so we never got to know what we are like without him.

His leadership and constant availability as well as his actual on-field contributions swing it for me as our PotY.

Minor point, but when Ronaldo left on pretty bad terms (which seems like forever ago), I worried that it might affect Bruno's form. It did not, he probably played his best after the WC.

londonredmaniac

I suffer delusions of grandeur
Clearly he's one of our most productive and influential players. But feck he's frustrating and incredibly wasteful at times. He'd be a better player if he knew when to just keep things simple during a game. Sometimes we're getting overrun and in desperate need of some control. But he (and tbf most other players) carry on doing the same shit and constantly losing possession, which piles the pressure on us
I think the wasteful nature of his game is magnified in team like ours currently.

If he was playing for City or Arsenal or Madrid/Barca it would not be as big a deal necessarily because they control games for long periods and have the ball back seconds after losing it.

Our team is not built like that yet...and as you say can pile pressure on us as we don't win the ball back as quickly.

If that makes any sense

GazTheLegend

Brilliant player played a brilliant season. Deserves a couple of better players to feed off him and then we'd see what an absolute MONSTER of a player Bruno Fernandes really is. Imagine if he didn't have a jaded, narcissistic, angry Ronaldo ahead of him for half a season, and an on Loan Burnley forward plus Martial for the rest.

Mercurial

Brilliant player played a brilliant season. Deserves a couple of better players to feed off him and then we'd see what an absolute MONSTER of a player Bruno Fernandes really is. Imagine if he didn't have a jaded, narcissistic, angry Ronaldo ahead of him for half a season, and an on Loan Burnley forward plus Martial for the rest.
He has that will of steel. I hope we get Kane or some other top Quality finisher. We will challenge with that alone.

Real_Knut

I think the wasteful nature of his game is magnified in team like ours currently.

If he was playing for City or Arsenal or Madrid/Barca it would not be as big a deal necessarily because they control games for long periods and have the ball back seconds after losing it.

Our team is not built like that yet...and as you say can pile pressure on us as we don't win the ball back as quickly.

If that makes any sense
I agree with this: if the team were stronger keeping the ball as a whole, Bruno's "go-for-glory" approach would not be as much of an issue. However, he does have potential for improvement when it comes to decision making. He seems to decide what to do before he receives the ball a lot of the time, so it's probably the ability to change that decision if circumstances change he needs to improve on. His shooting has been a bit off this season too but he's generally been very good and absolutely integral to our team.

Also, if he played for a team with even stronger attackers and better movement up front, he would rack up more impressive assist stats.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
I'd imagine a lot of the average ratings are being skewed by the few really poor games. For the 7-0 Liverpool game he got 1.6

So, if you take 4 really poor PL games as being Brighton, Brentford, Liverpool & City for example. Even if he got 7 for every other game and 3 for each of those, that still works out at average of 6.5 per game. If you look at his form per the ratings, there's some real peaks and troughs in there.
I’ve just been through the performance thread, game by game, I tried to keep it to league games but must have included some cup games against prem opponents.

I’ve gone off the common consensus of the posts. Before the weirdos come in….it would be very unusual for the common consensus of various fans to be completely wrong over a sample size of about 40 games. You may disagree with the odd game here and there but overall it’s a fair assessment of game to game. Particularly in this thread which outside of the actual games is very pro Bruno. Games are probably the only time where you could get a sensible appraisal in here.

Anyway this is the general consensus of Bruno’s performances by Caf this season :-

Poor

Brighton
Brentford
Southampton
City
Newcastle
West Ham
Fulham
Wolves
Everton
Bournemouth
Palace
Arsenal
Leeds
West Ham
Liverpool (disgrace)
Southampton
Newcastle
Bournemouth
Chelsea

Ave

Liverpool
Villa
Leeds
Newcastle
West Ham

Good

Leicester
Everton
Chelsea
Forrest
City
Palace
Brentford
Spurs
Villa
Brighton

Brilliant

Arsenal
Spurs
Leicester
Everton
Forest
Wolves

19 poor games, 5 average, 10 good, 6 brilliant

Gabriel Djemba-Bebe

Because the game against Chelsea was typical for the season. Until he got the pen and then scored it, he was abysmal. After that he improved. It has been like that all season, some moments of brilliance interspersed with a whole load of utter crap.
i genuinely don’t know if we can win the league with him in the team (as the other thread title suggests)
There's a reason the mods closed that thread. The comments aged like milk when he was dropping midfield masterclasses vs Everton and Forest. We saw how badly we missed his creativity when he was suspended vs Sevilla. It's mad how people still think we'd be a better team without him.

Gabriel Djemba-Bebe

You may disagree with the odd game here and there but overall it’s a fair assessment of game to game. Particularly in this thread which outside of the actual games is very pro Bruno. Games are probably the only time where you could get a sensible appraisal in here.
What? :lol: Have you been on the in-game discussion threads? People are losing their minds over a misplaced pass. It is the least sensible appraisal you can get on here. Even if you were to compare those ratings to the ones on the BBC for example, I can guarantee you'll see a much higher rating for Bruno in almost every game.

Zlatans Knee

There's a reason the mods closed that thread. The comments aged like milk when he was dropping midfield masterclasses vs Everton and Forest. We saw how badly we missed his creativity when he was suspended vs Sevilla. It's mad how people still think we'd be a better team without him.
That is not what people are saying. Our team is better with him in there because we don’t have anyone better. But stick someone else in there who is nowhere near as erratic (Bruno Guimares is a good example) and yes I do think we would be a lot better. Plus his rolling around and moaning is hard to take even as a United fan.

owlo

He's a player that annoys me despite the fact he's capable of magic. For example in the first half, he went down a pen, then rolled around for 3 mins when not injured feigning injury leaving us a man short in attack. Get up and play man. He's always so relaxed sometimes with his own fails.

Gabriel Djemba-Bebe

That is not what people are saying. Our team is better with him in there because we don’t have anyone better. But stick someone else in there who is nowhere near as erratic (Bruno Guimares is a good example) and yes I do think we would be a lot better. Plus his rolling around and moaning is hard to take even as a United fan.
Bruno Guimaraes has 5 goals and 5 assists in all comps this season, all while having the benefit of an actual CF in front of him. If us and Newcastle had swapped Brunos at the start of the season then they would finish miles above us. Where the hell do you think our goals would come from?!

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
What? :lol: Have you been on the in-game discussion threads? People are losing their minds over a misplaced pass. It is the least sensible appraisal you can get on here. Even if you were to compare those ratings to the ones on the BBC for example, I can guarantee you'll see a much higher rating for Bruno in almost every game.
Sorry I mean post game appraisals in THIS thread. Hence the ‘in here’ comment.

Gabriel Djemba-Bebe

Sorry I mean post game appraisals in THIS thread.
There is a tendency on here to overreact immediately after the final whistle and rate Bruno's performances lower than most other match rating sites, because as fans we get frustrated with all the misplaced passes we've just seen. But as I said, go on the BBC match votings (where there's a higher proportion of voters who are non-United fans) and you'll see several instances where Bruno's ratings are average or good on the BBC for the same games where he's rated as poor on the caf.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
There is a tendency on here to overreact immediately after the final whistle and rate Bruno's performances lower than most other match rating sites, because as fans we get frustrated with all the misplaced passes we've just seen. But as I said, go on the BBC match votings (where there's a higher proportion of voters who are non-United fans) and you'll see several instances where Bruno's ratings are average or good on the BBC for the same games where he's rated as poor on the caf.
What about the good performances ?

overall the balance will be about right. It isn’t going to be far wrong. The odds of twenty different fans with no connection to each other thinking Bruno has been poorwhen he’s been great or thinking he’s been great when he’s been poor, week after week after week….that’s just ridiculous.

What tends to happen in this thread is that when he’s poor it’s called and when he’s great it’s called. Then In between people who adore him come out with stats etc and say he’s been amazing.

why would I care what fans of another club think. As if they watch the game with the same attention as a fan of the team.

Last edited:

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
In the league?
Haaland, Kane, Salah, Suarez all only once are the only players in the last ten years to have scored 30+ league goals in a season and it’s happened in only 3 seasons.

So then RVP, Rooney,Zlatan,Tevez wouldn’t have been good enough for Bruno? None of them ever got 30 league goals in a season.

edcunited1878

Haaland, Kane, Salah, Suarez all only once are the only players in the last ten years to have scored 30+ league goals in a season and it’s happened in only 3 seasons.

So then RVP, Rooney,Zlatan,Tevez wouldn’t have been good enough for Bruno? None of them ever got 30 league goals in a season.
So Bruno isn't good enough?

Zlatans Knee

Bruno Guimaraes has 5 goals and 5 assists in all comps this season, all while having the benefit of an actual CF in front of him. If us and Newcastle had swapped Brunos at the start of the season then they would finish miles above us. Where the hell do you think our goals would come from?!
I completely disagree with you and I don’t think you would find a single Newcastle fan who would agree with you. So despite our Bruno playing a lot more, he has 7 goals (including at least 1 penalty) and 8 assists in the premiership league. His pass percentage is way lower 78.6 v 85.5 % (which was exactly my point to start with). Another big difference between them is that Bruno takes a lot of our free kicks (usually smashing them into the wall or way over the bar) so he got a couple of assists from that as well. They have Trippier for that.
Seeing as you just decided to be rude I shall reciprocate, perhaps…and I know this is a tough one to grasp, we might score more goals if we still actually have the ball.
i guess we will find out one way or another next season when we hopefully have a striker.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
So Bruno isn't good enough?
Depends what you’re talking about to be fair…however my post was in relation to people saying…if only we had a goal scorer etc. Rashford alone has been sensational this season and scored 30 goals.

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
It’s only an opinion, feel free to disagree. For me his form has been very patchy, in the league he has 15 goals + assists of which 8 of them came in a 9 game spell. 7 goals + assists in 27 games could explain in part my opinion. In addition I don’t feel he has performed anywhere near to the level that Varane, Martinez, Shaw, Casemiro, Rashford, Garnacho have and he’s been incredibly inconsistent. I don’t think he’s put a spell of more than four good games together in a row and for the way he plays, which for me lacks the balance of a KDB or Odergaard etc, his output of goals and assists is not more than average. I see lots of stats but the ones that matter and his actual overall performance hasn’t been great.
World class mental gymnastics :D Bruno has created more chances per 90 minutes than KDB, Odegaard or anybody else in the league.

Every time somebody calls you out for your nonsense, you go down a completely different path... wait 6 games for the next time he's not directly involved in 2+ goals then spout something else. It's so boring.

Will ignore your list of players he 'hasn't performed anywhere near the level to' because almost all of them have had clear dips in form throughout the season... just like every single player in the world.
I think @Jeppers7 is on the mark here. The fact that Bruno has 0 goals and assists in the games where he hasnt assisted or scored is quite poor. How many other players would conjure up stats like that? Not De Bruyne, for sure.

Gabriel Djemba-Bebe

What about the good performances ?

overall the balance will be about right. It isn’t going to be far wrong. The odds of twenty different fans with no connection to each other thinking Bruno has been poorwhen he’s been great or thinking he’s been great when he’s been poor, week after week after week….that’s just ridiculous.

What tends to happen in this thread is that when he’s poor it’s called and when he’s great it’s called. Then In between people who adore him come out with stats etc and say he’s been amazing.

why would I care what fans of another club think. As if they watch the game with the same attention as a fan of the team.
By listing all of Bruno’s caf match ratings in order to show how the 'consensus' is that he's had 19 poor performances this season, all you're really doing is showing that caf members are reactionary with their immediate post-match assessment of certain players. We saw it with Pogba on here as well. When the team doesn't play well, certain players are more likely to garner undeserved criticism than others.

Gabriel Djemba-Bebe

I completely disagree with you and I don’t think you would find a single Newcastle fan who would agree with you. So despite our Bruno playing a lot more, he has 7 goals (including at least 1 penalty) and 8 assists in the premiership league. His pass percentage is way lower 78.6 v 85.5 % (which was exactly my point to start with). Another big difference between them is that Bruno takes a lot of our free kicks (usually smashing them into the wall or way over the bar) so he got a couple of assists from that as well. They have Trippier for that.
Seeing as you just decided to be rude I shall reciprocate, perhaps…and I know this is a tough one to grasp, we might score more goals if we still actually have the ball.
i guess we will find out one way or another next season when we hopefully have a striker.
Do you also not rate De Bruyne because his pass percentage is way lower than Guimaraes' and because some of his assists are free kicks?

Zlatans Knee

Do you also not rate De Bruyne because his pass percentage is way lower than Guimaraes' and because some of his assists are free kicks?
I deliberately did not compare with KDB because that would just be unfair on you. The difference with De Bruyne is that he is fully capable of not consistently losing the ball. But sure if you want to compare with him, he has 7 goals and 16 assists in the PL with an 80.5% PS. So do I think that Bruno does enough in our team to justify the praise you give him? No.

El Jefe

De Bruyne is irreplaceable in City's team. Bruno is irreplaceable in United's team. The only reason why some people on the caf are reluctant to warm to Bruno is because he gives the ball away at a similar rate to De Bruyne, which wouldn't be an issue if United had midfielders like Gundogan & Bernardo Silva alongside him and a CF like Haaland in front of him. If Ten Hag is given the funds to address United's CM and CF issue in the summer, then Bruno will be spoken about in a similar light to De Bruyne next season.
This reads as if you're trying to convince yourself that Bruno is just as good as KDB and the only difference between them is the teams they play for.

Bruno is a level below KDB, always has and always will be.

Gabriel Djemba-Bebe

I deliberately did not compare with KDB because that would just be unfair on you. The difference with De Bruyne is that he is fully capable of not consistently losing the ball. But sure if you want to compare with him, he has 7 goals and 16 assists in the PL with an 80.5% PS. So do I think that Bruno does enough in our team to justify the praise you give him? No.
I don't know what your obsession is with pass completion % from a creative midfielder. They're in the team to take risks in the final third. That's why Bruno Fernandes is top of the PL list with 32 big chances created this season and Bruno Guimaraes is well behind: https://www.premierleague.com/stats/top/players/big_chance_created

Gabriel Djemba-Bebe

This reads as if you're trying to convince yourself that Bruno is just as good as KDB and the only difference between them is the teams they play for.

Bruno is a level below KDB, always has and always will be.
Nope. De Bruyne's ball carrying ability is miles better than Bruno's, however I do think they're both the main source of creativity in the teams they play for.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
By listing all of Bruno’s caf match ratings in order to show how the 'consensus' is that he's had 19 poor performances this season, all you're really doing is showing that caf members are reactionary with their immediate post-match assessment of certain players. We saw it with Pogba on here as well. When the team doesn't play well, certain players are more likely to garner undeserved criticism than others.
What about the good performances?

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
I think @Jeppers7 is on the mark here. The fact that Bruno has 0 goals and assists in the games where he hasnt assisted or scored is quite poor. How many other players would conjure up stats like that? Not De Bruyne, for sure.
What the feck are you talking about here? They’re games where he has scored like Thursday where his performance wasn’t good. Typical pathetic post with no meaning because you have no counter argument.

The fact is he’s been poor nye on 50% of the games he’s played this season.

Gabriel Djemba-Bebe

What about the good performances?
What about them? Bruno's good performances are usually (not always) acknowledged by the caf as good and his brilliant performances are usually acknowledged as brilliant. However I've frequently seen him put in decent/slightly better than average performances which have been rated as poor by people on the caf. Hence the disproportionate ratings don't even themselves out.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I’ve just been through the performance thread, game by game, I tried to keep it to league games but must have included some cup games against prem opponents.

I’ve gone off the common consensus of the posts. Before the weirdos come in….it would be very unusual for the common consensus of various fans to be completely wrong over a sample size of about 40 games. You may disagree with the odd game here and there but overall it’s a fair assessment of game to game. Particularly in this thread which outside of the actual games is very pro Bruno. Games are probably the only time where you could get a sensible appraisal in here.

Anyway this is the general consensus of Bruno’s performances by Caf this season :-

Poor

Brighton
Brentford
Southampton
City
Newcastle
West Ham
Fulham
Wolves
Everton
Bournemouth
Palace
Arsenal
Leeds
West Ham
Liverpool (disgrace)
Southampton
Newcastle
Bournemouth
Chelsea

Ave

Liverpool
Villa
Leeds
Newcastle
West Ham

Good

Leicester
Everton
Chelsea
Forrest
City
Palace
Brentford
Spurs
Villa
Brighton

Brilliant

Arsenal
Spurs
Leicester
Everton
Forest
Wolves

19 poor games, 5 average, 10 good, 6 brilliant
:lol: Jesus Christ. The amount of effort you will go to in order to convince other people that Bruno is crap is quite something.

Did it ever occur to you to do something a bit more positive and uplifting with your time? Maybe defend a player you rate who is getting unfair criticism? It’s got to be better for your head to actually be supportive towards a player at the team you support? Now Pogba’s fecked United off to follow his dream in Italy there must be someone else who can take his place in your heart? Or are you Pog4eva and nobody will ever come close?

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
:lol: Jesus Christ. The amount of effort you will go to in order to convince other people that Bruno is crap is quite something.

Did it ever occur to you to do something a bit more positive and uplifting with your time? Maybe defend a player you rate who is getting unfair criticism? It’s got to be better for your head to actually be supportive towards a player at the team you support? Now Pogba’s there must be someone else who can take his place in your heart? Or are you Pog4eva and nobody will ever come close?
I’ve always been consistent to be fair. I’ve always backed up posts with evidence. I don’t pick stuff out of my arse. I’ll check it and post it. What I like about that is that people can’t counter it. They instead turn to childish behaviour. Being childish doesn’t become you, but neither does being a hypocrite. Or posting Bruno stats in another players thread as criticism but then failing to put them in Bruno’s own thread.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
What about them? Bruno's good performances are usually (not always) acknowledged by the caf as good and his brilliant performances are usually acknowledged as brilliant. However I've frequently seen him put in decent/slightly better than average performances which have been rated as poor by people on the caf. Hence the disproportionate ratings don't even themselves out.
Exactly. You’ll take the positive as accurate and the negatives as inaccurate. Over a 40 game sample size. Sorry your opinion isn’t credible.

Gabriel Djemba-Bebe

Did it ever occur to you to do something a bit more positive and uplifting with your time? Maybe defend a player you rate who is getting unfair criticism? It’s got to be better for your head to actually be supportive towards a player at the team you support? Now Pogba’s fecked United off to follow his dream in Italy there must be someone else who can take his place in your heart? Or are you Pog4eva and nobody will ever come close?
My favourite part of the post was when he prefixed it with "before the weirdos come in to counter my argument..." before then demonstrating peak weirdo behaviour by totting up each individual average match rating in an attempt to criticise his own player :lol:

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Taking player performance ratings by fans seriously is a mug’s game. For the reasons you say and plenty of others. One of the biggest being that a bad result will knock a point or two off every rating and a good result will add a point or two. So the same player can put in two identical performances in a game we win and a game we lose and get radically different opinions. Plus players who divide opinions will get absolutely hammered by their critics if they put in anything other than a top performance. Especially when that player is someone like Bruno who is the creative hub of the team, with consistently amongst the highest number of touches and passes of any player in the team. There’s no way to try and be “objective” about any footballer other than the actual stats behind their performances. Trying to judge them based on a popularity contest is stupid.

Status
Not open for further replies.