Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
:lol:
The fans that said he wouldn’t adapt to Ten Hags football!

God knows what they know about football.

So much negativity that’s it’s beautiful when they are wrong.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout

It's still early days and it's just a preseason. Lets see how he plays in actual games.

What's more surprising was few thinking that players will play same way irrespective of who the manager is. We have seen Van Gaal trying to control game using possession and more or less same set of players were parking bus under Jose, even against teams like Middlesbrough.

sport2793

I don't know why people keep on thinking Bruno and Eriksen will be competing with each other, Eriksen was more likely brought in to replace Scott and play in the other #8 role.

R'hllor

When they are wrong, they dont know shit about football? you have to be next level to claim such things after few pre season games and top it all you went full green on it, damn.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
It's still early days and it's just a preseason. Lets see how he plays in actual games.

What's more surprising was few thinking that players will play same way irrespective of who the manager is. We have seen Van Gaal trying to control game using possession and more or less same set of players were parking bus under Jose, even against teams like Middlesbrough.
It’s just negativity.

Ronaldo became our main player last year and destroyed any team balance we had the season before.

Ronaldo is now not playing and nearly the whole of the squad is playing like they did when in good form + obviously due to the amazing coaching of Ten Hag.

For me it was always Ronaldo.

He is a player that couldn’t get the best out of the wider players. Check. Sancho. Rashford. Check

He is a player that took the positions of Bruno. Check. Gave him pressure to miss penalties that he would hardly do . Check. Made his passes go all towards him and readable. Check.

We had such obvious problems from changing our tactics to Ronaldo as our plan A but people still went and targeted players individually as if they failed on their own will and manner. The only player that was given the - needs a right system card - was Sancho; when all our players needed a right system.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Its funny how some people convinced themselves that Bruno would be disregarded by Ten Hag. He's such a good player, which he showed again today.

He's been insanely good playing without much of a system. Just imagine how good he will be playing in a defined system that works to his strengths.
The time to assess his standing with the manager is when he has a full complement of players and has the option of picking a talented player in Bruno's stead - if we get De Jong, a midfield that doesn't feature Bruno isn't particularly improbable, for example. Eriksen is then a direct challenger for the midfield spot Bruno occupies and has his own qualities that might be favoured.

Bruno might be pushed forward, or Eriksen might go deep with Bruno ahead, or to the right with Bruno keeping his position, but it wouldn't shock if he is usurped or shuffled around like it was or would've been these past seasons.

Preseason is going great guns and there's reasons to be optimistic, but let's see how things go as the level of opponent and their fitness ramp up. It'll also be interesting to see how we do when the gloves are off and there's 3pts to vie for as that's when the thorough examination of what we're doing and how effective it is will really materialise.

Fingers are crossed that the players can continue to play as they are without reverting to type.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
Its funny how some people convinced themselves that Bruno would be disregarded by Ten Hag. He's such a good player, which he showed again today.

He's been insanely good playing without much of a system. Just imagine how good he will be playing in a defined system that works to his strengths.
Its funny how people take pre-season games seriously.

WirralRed

Really looking forward to see how Bruno adapts over time. I find it unbelievable that people have written him off.
I think the key is that Ten Hag seems to be demanding respect of the players, hopefully this stays this way and the players buy into his style of play. If he dose and Bruno gets clear instructions on his role he will be fantastic. For me last season felt like the players either weren’t given this level Of instruction and their roles weren’t so specific which showed when things started to go wrong the players seemed to either drop their heads or take it in their own hands to try and force it.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
Agreed. That's the main point. We don't need to curb him and make him less noticeable. We need to make him better, while still being noticeable. I want every players on the team try to make a positive impact, and take responsibility. Show the fans they're worth to get paid those millions.

Did I read it wrong that on his "shit" last season, he's still the 2nd most chances creator in the League? Why would you want this type of player be more "unnoticeable"?

I drooled when i saw the like of Modric, Kroos and Benzema in that CL Final. Because they asserted authority and played like a boss.
We’re creating better chances at the minute because the killer pass is coming at a better time, perhaps not always at the right time yet….but at a better time. More players will create chances this season as a result.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
The time to assess his standing with the manager is when he has a full complement of players and has the option of picking a talented player in Bruno's stead - if we get De Jong, a midfield that doesn't feature Bruno isn't particularly improbable, for example. Eriksen is then a direct challenger for the midfield spot Bruno occupies and has his own qualities that might be favoured.

Bruno might be pushed forward, or Eriksen might go deep with Bruno ahead, or to the right with Bruno keeping his position, but it wouldn't shock if he is usurped or shuffled around like it was or would've been these past seasons.

Preseason is going great guns and there's reasons to be optimistic, but let's see how things go as the level of opponent and their fitness ramp up. It'll also be interesting to see how we do when the gloves are off and there's 3pts to vie for as that's when the thorough examination of what we're doing and how effective it is will really materialise.

Fingers are crossed that the players can continue to play as they are without reverting to type.
Good post, the point about not having full team is spot on. We barely have a midfield, so by default everyone is a starting 11 player. With Eriksen and if we sign de Jong then it will be interesting to see who plays in most games and also which position and roles Bruno, Eriksen will play.

For now it looks like he has adapted his game and focusing more on the team which is good to see. Not only him, players are actively looking for players to pass and also players are making lot of runs to be the option for player in possession.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
It’s just negativity.

Ronaldo became our main player last year and destroyed any team balance we had the season before.

Ronaldo is now not playing and nearly the whole of the squad is playing like they did when in good form + obviously due to the amazing coaching of Ten Hag.

For me it was always Ronaldo.

He is a player that couldn’t get the best out of the wider players. Check. Sancho. Rashford. Check

He is a player that took the positions of Bruno. Check. Gave him pressure to miss penalties that he would hardly do . Check. Made his passes go all towards him and readable. Check.

We had such obvious problems from changing our tactics to Ronaldo as our plan A but people still went and targeted players individually as if they failed on their own will and manner. The only player that was given the - needs a right system card - was Sancho; when all our players needed a right system.
None of this is Bruno’s fault?

Im enjoying watching United more with a more reserved Bruno, but of the front four he’s been by far the most underwhelming on the tour. It’s beneficial but he’s not been great.

(have a look back a Bruno’s performances the season before Ronaldo re-signed from January to May in the league, also team balance?

sillwuka

Good to see he can follow a system and restrain himself from stupid Hollywood balls.

I know his unpredictability is what makes him great but a more measured Bruno could be more deadly.

Good to see he can follow a system and restrain himself from stupid Hollywood balls.

I know his unpredictability is what makes him great but a more measured Bruno could be more deadly.
It's the transition all great players must go through. Even Ronaldo needed Ferguson and the senior players to teach him to keep a lid on his more exuberant side. Without that and had he remained the tricky, wasteful winger, he would never have reached the heights he did.

We can still build a system that gets the best out of him he just needs to be taught when not to try things.

MadMike

Maybe that's my impression and maybe I'm in the wrong here, but in the minutes of pre-season games that I watched (when he was playing) he didn't seem much different from last season. He still has great vision and killer passes in his arsenal, he always had that, but he still seems a bit unreliable on the ball and in its circulation.

We have been mostly dominating games this pre-season, when our A team has been on the pitch, so I think his weaknesses are merely less obvious compared to league games of last season when we were under the cosh for long periods and when possession was scarce.

Hopefully I'm wrong and he does indeed improve

TsuWave

Bruno being a bum being blamed on Ronaldo will never not be funny

Ronaldo gave him pressure to miss penalties that he wouldn’t miss before:lol:

reko

ETH: yo bruno, power is nothing without control.
Bruno: ***epiphaneous boss music***

Beast mode engaged.

El Jefe

As mentioned by a few this isn't the time to start feeling vindicated in your defence of Bruno or you could same the same about a midfield of Scott and Fred. The truth with Bruno will only be revealed once EtH has his full squad and possibly de Jong or another midfielder.

We've won all our games comfortably so far and its preseason. How will Bruno play when we're 1-0 down at home with the crowd on the teams back or at an away ground where we are struggling to get a hold of the ball? Can he curb his instincts to revert to his old habits. There are many variables that haven't been brought into play yet in order to make a proper judgement of Bruno under EtH.

I personally think in the long term it won't work but I guess we'll have a much better clue of how right or wrong I am, about half way into the season.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Good post, the point about not having full team is spot on. We barely have a midfield, so by default everyone is a starting 11 player. With Eriksen and if we sign de Jong then it will be interesting to see who plays in most games and also which position and roles Bruno, Eriksen will play.

For now it looks like he has adapted his game and focusing more on the team which is good to see. Not only him, players are actively looking for players to pass and also players are making lot of runs to be the option for player in possession.
As mentioned by a few this isn't the time to start feeling vindicated in your defence of Bruno or you could same the same about a midfield of Scott and Fred. The truth with Bruno will only be revealed once EtH has his full squad and possibly de Jong or another midfielder.

We've won all our games comfortably so far and its preseason. How will Bruno play when we're 1-0 down at home with the crowd on the teams back or at an away ground where we are struggling to get a hold of the ball? Can he curb his instincts to revert to his old habits. There are many variables that haven't been brought into play yet in order to make a proper judgement of Bruno under EtH.

I personally think in the long term it won't work but I guess we'll have a much better clue of how right or wrong I am, about half way into the season.
Agreed, both. I'm one of those who have dug Bruno out especially with regard to hero ball and wastefulness, but always asked the question of whether he can rein it in or if it's simply intrinsic.

If he can - and so far so good - it'll be another string in our bow as a collective and with regard to rest and rotation deeper into the season.

I don't think many want Bruno to actively fail -- I know I don't -- but it is vital he can get with, and stick to, the program and not deviate if or when times are challenging and we're up against it.

It's important for us, but more importantly, it's prerequisite now, so if he doesn't, he'll be out of the team so there are incentives all round, which we should see the benefit of.

Smores

I find it very weird that at the moment people seem desperate for Bruno to fail and the likes of Martial to succeed. I don't know if people are just being contrarian but only one of those has carried this team in recent years.

Bruno is one of our best players it's that simple.

romufc

I am so surprised how many people want Bruno to fail. His link up play is going to be crucial against low blocks.
He has a creative spark and we have seen them in the pre season, he has got himself into goal scoring positions and goal creating positions.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Bruno will shine under Ten Hag… I feel like ole was telling the players to shoot as often as you can. Shoot on sight!! Where has Ten Hag likes to Keep the ball and work it into the opposition box… under a proper system and structure Bruno will be better then ever… same with a few of the players.

Canagel

I don't understand this POV. During the SAF years, ALL of the players where showing off their skill and got noticed. That's what you want to see from your star players. It's not just about "part of the winning team". Take responsibilities, get noticed, make fans drooling at your play, play like a "King".
He has been taking responsibilities for the last 2 and a half years and we have gotten nowhere.
The team is the most important thing and if it means he becomes a sidekick for us to be great again then so be it. I don't get why this should be seen as a issue.

And you are still allowed to be a "star player". But your job is harder because the ball is being shared around and nobody has carte blanche to do as they please. There is a reprogramming going on and players are required to pick their chances wisely. We don't have to accommodate anyone but if you are good enough you will still shine. I don't see any issue.

Last edited:

makes new threads with tweets in the OP

Somehow reminded of these lines from Spiderman when I see how people talk about Bruno

BoulderDevil

Really? If the players and coaches take it seriously why shouldn’t he fans eh?

mikeyt

Seen very little from Bruno in preseason so far to suggest he's going to be much different under ETH. Yes he's been slightly less wasteful but that isn't hard based on his form last season. I think he has it in him to win us games single handedly with his ability to on occasion find a pass, however he also has the ability to lose us games with his continued losing of possession.

Lets see what happens when the PL kicks off and he's not playing against reserve players. I wouldn't be surprised if he's sold next summer.

Greck

It's also premature because the player isn't actually flying or anything. He hasn't looked bad but hasn't looked like a star either, it's a kind of limbo but it's just easier to give the benefit of the doubt he'll kick on. So far the players who are clearcut thriving are the short passing warriors with ball carrying like Sancho, Martial, maybe even Fred, then there's Dalot out wide. It's only preseason and anything can change from game to game.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
Some interesting quotes from Bruno from this article: https://www.espn.com/soccer/manches...t-manchester-united-regime-under-erik-ten-hag

About discipline:
"I think we missed that for a while, and I think, for me, the way I see discipline is important," Fernandes said.

"For me, discipline is not only the way you play on the pitch, the position that you have, what you have to do, it's also off the pitch -- don't be late for the meetings, don't be late for the meals.

"I think that's really important because if everyone is on time and someone comes late, he should be punished and I think that's really good that he's doing that and for me amazing, because I like to be on time, so I won't have problems with that."

About his own form:
"I keep the ball when I think I have to keep it, I try a pass when I think I have to do it and sometimes it goes good, sometimes wrong," he said.
"Obviously when it goes wrong, I know that shouldn't be the one, but sometimes when you play in the 10 position you have only a few seconds to think and control the ball and make the pass, so it's not that much time to think.

"I understand of course that someone has his own opinion, but when I arrived in 2020 I was losing the same amount of balls in those six months and then the year after I lost the same amount of balls, but I scored 28 goals, so people don't complain about that.

"Now last season, because I scored 'only' 10, because for some people it's only 10 goals, people start complaining, but I'm OK with that, I don't worry. I do my best, I know I always give my best, I always try to help my teammates. They know that even when I miss the passes, I'm trying to give something to them, so I'm okay with that."

About Ronaldo:

"Obviously we have to respect the decision of everyone," Fernandes added.

"I don't know what Cristiano said to the club, to the manager, I don't know what he's going into his head, but we have to respect his space.

"From everything we know, he had some family problems, so we have to respect his space, give him some space and that's it.

"Cristiano was our top scorer last season, he added goals to us, but obviously it's not on me, it's the club that has to make the choices and Cristiano makes his own choice.

"As I said, I don't know what's going on in his head, if he wants to leave, it's all about news. I didn't ask them that .

"The only thing I asked Cristiano, when he didn't turn up, was if everything was OK with the family, he told me what was going on, that's it and nothing more."

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
The poster who said we have to make him "Less noticeable", check his post history on Bruno, you will see why he said. (to save time, he doesn't rate Bruno).

Anyways I don't think he is less noticeable, he is involved in the game but the system has changed. "Pass the ball to Bruno" is not the go-to tactic now, we have lot of players who are looking to get on the ball, pass it quickly to keep the ball moving. Bruno is playing good role in keeping the ball moving to open up spaces, this will help us in long run as we are opening teams, playing like a team.
I know the game has evolved, but I still prefer a direct style and players that express themselves. I'm expecting Bruno to play similar to KdB. More than a "keep the ball moving" player, but player who is able to express himself also.

I guess it depends on the manager, if he can incorporate this type of player. And obviously if the manager sees the player is up to it, also.

Also for years Bruno's been here, I don't see him as a "all for glory" type of player, where he put himself above the team. He's 100% a team player, where he'll follow whatever manager's instruction.

Last edited:

mav_9me

I thought this angle of Rashford goal was good. Particularly highlights Bruno's pass and Sancho's pass I thought.

cletus7

About his own form:
"I keep the ball when I think I have to keep it, I try a pass when I think I have to do it and sometimes it goes good, sometimes wrong," he said.
"Obviously when it goes wrong, I know that shouldn't be the one, but sometimes when you play in the 10 position you have only a few seconds to think and control the ball and make the pass, so it's not that much time to think.

"I understand of course that someone has his own opinion, but when I arrived in 2020 I was losing the same amount of balls in those six months and then the year after I lost the same amount of balls, but I scored 28 goals, so people don't complain about that.

"Now last season, because I scored 'only' 10, because for some people it's only 10 goals, people start complaining, but I'm OK with that, I don't worry. I do my best, I know I always give my best, I always try to help my teammates. They know that even when I miss the passes, I'm trying to give something to them, so I'm okay with that."
…sounds like he’s trying to defend the indefensible. He needs to cut the gamble passing out of his game. The press went over the top on his success in the first season but I did personally get p**d off with the needless risky passes that season also. If he thinks no. 10 is about high risk passing, then he needs to be schooled.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Beautiful. It used to be Bruno with long pass to only one striker up front, expecting him to beat 3-4 defenders before taking a shot. Now there were 4 players running their asses to get into the box.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
I thought this angle of Rashford goal was good. Particularly highlights Bruno's pass and Sancho's pass I thought.

A thing of beauty. Great pass from Bruno to open the game up, the pass from Sancho, then the one touch play for the goal. Superb.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
…sounds like he’s trying to defend the indefensible. He needs to cut the gamble passing out of his game. The press went over the top on his success in the first season but I did personally get p**d off with the needless risky passes that season also. If he thinks no. 10 is about high risk passing, then he needs to be schooled.
I didn't like that he mentioned goals twice. I understand the point , he's trying to say the only difference was the goals however the truth is it's his decision making that needs to improve( in sync with his teammates )

IhabX7

Has been excellent this first half. Best he’s played in a while.

The United

Thought the best player in this half so far. Seemed to be everywhere and it was very nice of him to play for VDB on the right side in that 4 3 3 as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.