6.1 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Real Name

Bruno was fantastic in that first half. Everything good went through him. Went off the boil after the shape change, but it didn't help that Rashford had another stinker and lost the ball at every opportunity
Finally some sense in here.

sebsheep

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Yet another absolutely abysmal performance. Two good games out of the last twelve months basically.
A quick peek through the threadmarks in this thread has him being praised for having more than double that just this season.
It makes this comment hilarious though. :lol:
Hypocrite of the highest order. Incapable of basing assessment beyond like/dislike.
@Pogue Mahone, kudos to you for fighting a losing battle, narrative has been set and they're all going with it.
Definitely. Fernandes can be frustrating and it's not like he's having a superb season but some of the comments in here can't be coming from people who are interested in judging his performances properly.

Real Name

A quick peek through the threadmarks in this thread has him being praised for having more than double that just this season.

Definitely. Fernandes can be frustrating and it's not like he's having a superb season but some of the comments in here can't be coming from people who are interested in judging his performances properly.
Great poster you quoted other than me. That one definitely has an agenda. With a number of players actually, not just Bruno.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia

Oh Jesus Christ....sorry four, eight, ten even. Out of the last 90 odd games if I searched through the thread marks it would be around the ten mark.

The point with the two games was that if you look at some of the posters after those two games who were very vocal, they were trying to paint a different story than what was reality. 2 or 4 in 20 odd games this season is hardly rewriting history.

Also check my post history in the thread marked four games.

Last edited:

EtH

He’s on his way out wide and if he’s not more careful he’ll find himself wide of the pitch completely most matchdays.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
Says a Pogba fan.
I’m not sure how liking a particular player vs not liking a particular player makes you a hypocrite.

Being a hypocrite would for example be criticising statistics and downplaying the importance of statistics that support good performance for one player then supporting the use of statistics in an attempt to deflect another players poor performances.
Dismissing penalty goals or assist stats in an attempt to discredit one players impact, then highlighting goals and assist, including penalties, to highlight another players impact. Ignoring good and great runs of performances in one players thread then entering when said player has a bad game to be critical and doing the exact opposite for another player. Repeating a narrative of 1 good game in 5 constantly in one thread, regardless of said player having a run of 10-15 consecutive good/great games vs ignoring another players poor form which has gone on for over 18 months and has seen nothing like 1 good game in 5.
Worst for me is over the top criticism and downright vilification of any single mistake that one player makes, regardless of performance and impact on the outcome vs actually defending another players mistakes as “everybody makes mistakes”

Yes they do but you can’t vilify one player for any and every mistake calling them brainless and claiming they never learn just because you dislike them then look at Bruno’s repeated giveaways in the last 18 months that have actually cost us and ignore/defend them as ‘everybody makes mistakes’ when you vocally won’t give other players an inch.

I think if you search through my posts here you will see that my posts are based on performance, if I feel Bruno has played well I say so, if he’s been great I’ll say so, if he’s done something great I’ll say so and vice versa.

Hiw the feck liking Pogba automatically makes anyone a hypocrite I’ve no idea, but clearly you disliked him so it makes sense in some way to you.

Lyng

https://www.premierleague.com/stats/top/players/big_chance_created
Worth mentioning he has played every single minute of the PL season so far. Far from good returns for him; he should normally be a lot closer to de Bruyne. So that’s both his chances created and actual assist tally that are dwindling…
Yup. It matches with the eye test honestly. While he is constantly moving and trying to help out, his end product is not as good as it used to be.
I still hope that changes once Ronaldo leaves.
Bruno has had a few very good matches this season, mostly when Ronnie wasnt playing.
I am not blaming Ronaldo for Bruno's decline. Its a Bruno issue.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Worth mentioning he has played every single minute of the PL season so far. Far from good returns for him; he should normally be a lot closer to de Bruyne. So that’s both his chances created and actual assist tally that are dwindling…
Yup. It matches with the eye test honestly. While he is constantly moving and trying to help out, his end product is not as good as it used to be.
I still hope that changes once Ronaldo leaves.
Bruno has had a few very good matches this season, mostly when Ronnie wasnt playing.
I am not blaming Ronaldo for Bruno's decline. Its a Bruno issue.
Plenty of stats out there showing his contribution in attack has been more than adequate this season. Despite his lack of assists (for which you can mainly blame terrible finishing from our striker, whoever that may be) and goals.

dal

I really don’t think its’s him, as long as Ronaldo doesn’t play he’s better. Sometimes I think its like Ronaldo is his hero and doesn’t assert himself as much. Its a combination of that and shit ronaldo.

sebsheep

Oh Jesus Christ....sorry four, eight, ten even. Out of the last 90 odd games if I searched through the thread marks it would be around the ten mark.

The point with the two games was that if you look at some of the posters after those two games who were very vocal, they were trying to paint a different story than what was reality. 2 or 4 in 20 odd games this season is hardly rewriting history.

Also check my post history in the thread marked four games.
Is your point that you have been praising his good games whilst at the same time been saying things like" He's been poor week in week out"? Because that's a bit crazy.
It's also a little difficult to take your claims on how bad he has or hasn't been seriously when you popped in with the opinion that he was abysmal last night.

sebsheep

KDB is crushing everyone at the moment tbh. At current rate Fernandes would probably match his total last season. Really we'd probably want more because that wasn't a great season for him though.

RedStarUnited

Whatever you guys say, Bruno is the probably first player on the team sheet. At least in midfield and attack. Casemiro, Eriksen, Antony, Rashford, Sancho and Ronaldo's spots are not safe, but Ten Hag would rather play Bruno out of position than put him on the bench. Surely he rates him highly? For good reason, in my opinion.
:confused:

Tony247

It is just my hunch but I am getting feeling that Bruno is not happy about the set up. His workrate while defending is excellent, but during attack I don't think he is doing his best.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Was fine in the first half, and I think the right seemed to force some control into his game. He made good, simple and effective decisions with the ball. Invisible in the second, as were most players.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
Is your point that you have been praising his good games whilst at the same time been saying things like" He's been poor week in week out"? Because that's a bit crazy.
It's also a little difficult to take your claims on how bad he has or hasn't been seriously when you popped in with the opinion that he was abysmal last night.
I think you perhaps are guilty of taking things very literally. However we’ve been playing since August and twice a week since September generally, he’s played 17 games and the season is 13 weeks old. Considering he’s had 4 good games it’s not outlandish to say….week in week out.

I thought we were abysmal last night as an attacking force. I thought all bar Garnacho were abysmal, who I’d give credit for because of the goal and his experience.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Whatever you guys say, Bruno is the probably first player on the team sheet. At least in midfield and attack. Casemiro, Eriksen, Antony, Rashford, Sancho and Ronaldo's spots are not safe, but Ten Hag would rather play Bruno out of position than put him on the bench. Surely he rates him highly? For good reason, in my opinion.
And that is quite a mystery. He's been OKish this season, despite poor output I think he's been an important part of the team, but the fact he's shuffled around and always playing is a bit strange. Looks like ETH is really stubborn to put him in "whatever" position.

Scandi Red

Hates Music.
And that is quite a mystery.
Not really. Ten Hag can see the value he brings to the team. It's as simple as that.

Every player has had to earn their spot. Shaw was benched and had to fight his way back. Casemiro didn't just get to start in the beginning because of his resume. Maguire didn't get to keep his position just because he's the captain. Eriksen is no longer 100% guaranteed to start, even though he was one of our top performers in the beginning. And we all know the Ronaldo story.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Not really. Ten Hag can see the value he brings to the team. It's as simple as that.

Every player has had to earn their spot. Shaw was benched and had to fight his way back. Casemiro didn't just get to start in the beginning because of his resume. Maguire didn't get to keep his position just because he's the captain. Eriksen is no longer 100% guaranteed to start, even though he was one of our top performers in the beginning. And we all know the Ronaldo story.
Bruno was /is poor on many occasions, he had more bad games than good this season (that obviously doesn't mean he's completely useless). He was never dropped. In fact he was never subbed. So I don't know how "Every player has had to earn their spot" statement applies to Bruno. It's not like we don't have alternatives this season.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
Bruno was /is poor on many occasions, he had more bad games than good this season (that obviously doesn't mean he's completely useless). He was never dropped. In fact he was never subbed. So I don't know how "Every player has had to earn their spot" statement applies to Bruno. It's not like we don't have alternatives this season.
One of the big differences between ETH and Ralf is that ETH understands that he needs results now and while building in the long term is not going to alienate his players. I think because Bruno already got a new contract pre ETH, he realises he's pretty much stuck with him for a while and so is eager to build a solid bond with him especially since he's kind of alienated Ronaldo and Maguire even while being extremely respectful to them. I agree he should have been subbed or left on the bench for a game or two but will be interesting to see how we shape up without him this weekend.

Scandi Red

Hates Music.
So I don't know how "Every player has had to earn their spot" statement applies to Bruno.
Maybe he's not been as bad as some posters in here seem to think? The stats certainly seem to back him up, hence all the tweets in this thread. Ten Hag seems to know what he's doing, so I highly doubt that he has a huge blind spot when it comes to Bruno.

tomaldinho1

Maybe he's not been as bad as some posters in here seem to think? The stats certainly seem to back him up, hence all the tweets in this thread. Ten Hag seems to know what he's doing, so I highly doubt that he has a huge blind spot when it comes to Bruno.
He’s not been that bad this season. He’s been lucky (the goal v Spurs he scored was just after he gave the ball away trying a stupid flick and Kane should have scored from it) and wayward as always but I think he’s been a bit more controlled and he’s definitely had a decent amount of games where he’s had a positive influence.

There are bigger issues in this team but if we get a good CF and probably another CM attention will turn to Bruno given it’s such a key role offensively. He needs to be tidier and more accurate in what he tries to do, can’t fault his effort or passion and he’s better without Ronaldo who is going, at the very latest, in summer.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
The stats certainly don't back him up, we've not been creating and scoring much, and that's Bruno main responsibility. His level of performances has not been high enough to put him into "undroppable" basket, would you argue with that statement?

ETH certainly sees Bruno as must-have in the team, even if that means he plays totally out of position. I've seen every minute of Bruno this season and that I don't understand.

Scandi Red

Hates Music.
The stats certainly don't back him up, we've not been creating and scoring much, and that's Bruno main responsibility.

His level of performances has not been high enough to put him into "undroppable" basket, would you argue with that statement?
That depends on how you define "undroppable". Technically speaking no one is undroppable in my opinion.

Bruno's hard work, versatility and ability create chances out of thin air makes him unique in our squad. Eriksen is the only one who technically could challenge him, but I think it's better to play him in central midfield. Ten Hag seems to think the same.

BorisManUtd

Will be weird to watch the game on Sunday without him playing. Feels like Bruno played every minute of every match since he came to the club.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
That depends on how you define "undroppable". Technically speaking no one is undroppable in my opinion.

Bruno's hard work, versatility and ability create chances out of thin air makes him unique in our squad. Eriksen is the only one who technically could challenge him, but I think it's better to play him in central midfield. Ten Hag seems to think the same.
Well seeing those stats, how lucky are we to end up with Bruno instead of De Bruyne :)

https://fbref.com/en/comps/9/stats/Premier-League-Stats#all_stats_standard
There are 23* players in EPL who have higher xGA (expected assists per 90') Than Bruno. If we take under account xG + xGA per 90' then there are 20 players with better results than Bruno (I see this as a more fair way of looking at things than just comparing assists, as that's obviously much easier to get an assist if you're playing with an actual striker).
*counting only those who played in 9 or more games.

So those stats you quoted are a bit confusing to me. My conclusion is Bruno is OKish player for the role he plays (AM/#10 whatever, he's always the most advanced midfielder or even part of the attack). I believe Bruno has not been good enough this season to continue playing with him in central role (at all cost) & all the stuff that comes with it (us shaping in 4231 has some disadvantages). The only confusing thing for me is why is he considered as "undroppable" by ETH. Stats, eye-test or whatever just don't justify this IMO.

Chief123

I fully expect comments in this thread after the weekend game realising how important he is to the team. Yes he’s been inconsistent but let’s be honest, even KDB would struggle creating chances for Ronaldo right now. It’s like playing passes to a lamp post.

Lyng

I fully expect comments in this thread after the weekend game realising how important he is to the team. Yes he’s been inconsistent but let’s be honest, even KDB would struggle creating chances for Ronaldo right now. It’s like playing passes to a lamp post.
This game is certainly going to tell us alot about Bruno's importance to this team.

Chief123

This game is certainly going to tell us alot about Bruno's importance to this team.
I know it’s popular on here to bash Bruno and it’s often warranted due to how erratic he can be at times but the truth is there are certain passes that only he can make in our team. For instance in the first half against Sociedad, there was a pass he played fast and crisp behind the full back to Garnacho where Garnacho did a double shimmy but mis kicked his shot. Only Bruno makes those kind of passes.

abraz79

Supports
Sporting CP
For those comparing KDB's end product with BF, compare the remaining squads' end products too.

Bruno Fernandes does what other don't. For some reason he had first team status with all past managers. Those professional managers must be all dumb...

Bruno Fernandes is a little bit a try hard. If the team is not well, he tries to do too much. People say that he's now playing more securely... Maybe because with Eriksen and Casemiro he doesn't feel the need to do everything himself. Also, he's now not the only target to be marked.

Until we find a better attacking midfielder, with his flair and workrate, he's the best we have. And he's doing a good work, considering what the team as a whole is doing. I believe top players would have a rough time in our team too. But I think we're getting better, it's going to take time.

I'm not saying BF doesn't have his shortcomings, but this constant negative critique is unfair and I don't see how it helps the team. Are we supporters or just spectators?

Chief123

For those comparing KDB's end product with BF, compare the remaining squads' end products too.

Bruno Fernandes does what other don't. For some reason he had first team status with all past managers. Those professional managers must be all dumb...

Bruno Fernandes is a little bit a try hard. If the team is not well, he tries to do too much. People say that he's now playing more securely... Maybe because with Eriksen and Casemiro he doesn't feel the need to do everything himself. Also, he's now not the only target to be marked.

Until we find a better attacking midfielder, with his flair and workrate, he's the best we have. And he's doing a good work, considering what the team as a whole is doing. I believe top players would have a rough time in our team too. But I think we're getting better, it's going to take time.

I'm not saying BF doesn't have his shortcomings, but this constant negative critique is unfair and I don't see how it helps the team. Are we supporters or just spectators?
If Bruno was playing behind Haaland, Bruno’s numbers would be insane. There was a video doing the rounds showing how many ridiculously easy chances he had created which were missed by our forwards during his time here. Yes, not every chance is expected to go in. But the majority of misses were criminal.

Lyng

I know it’s popular on here to bash Bruno and it’s often warranted due to how erratic he can be at times but the truth is there are certain passes that only he can make in our team. For instance in the first half against Sociedad, there was a pass he played fast and crisp behind the full back to Garnacho where Garnacho did a double shimmy but mis kicked his shot. Only Bruno makes those kind of passes.
We actually have several who can split a whole team with one pass now, which is good. But yes Bruno at his best is fantastic. My issue is only when he and Ronaldo are in the team together.

Flying_Heckfish

He's not really a winger in the same mould as Antony, obviously, so we need to have a different plan when he plays wide & I'm not sure we are quite there yet.

But it does looks like an scenario that may happen often in matches, so we best work it out quickly.

Status
Not open for further replies.