6.1 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Canagel

You guys just need to just tart having honest conversations about this guy. All this "yeah, he's shite, but still love him" - just comes off incredibly disingenuous considering the stick other players get

I don't think this team will truly fulfil it's potential with such an erratic player at it's core
these fans dont care about excellence. Instead of holding him to the same standard as some of the great number 10's they would rather post passing stats of an attacker as if that is the standard that he should be held to. That is the bar.

And that post is just typical and sums up the way they think. Basically you can be poor on the pitch but if you are a passion merchant, kiss the badge and knee slide etc you are given a free pass for low IQ football.

For a lot of our supporters there is no interest in becoming excellent.
They watch football just for the emotional attachment and this is why players like Bruno are protected. Its not about football.

This is also why they loved Herrera and these other passionistas/passion merchants despite them being nobodies on the wider footballing stage.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
these fans dont care about excellence. Instead of holding him to the same standard as some of the great number 10's they would rather post passing stats of an attacker as if that is the standard that he should be held to. That is the bar.

And that post is just typical and sums up the way they think. Basically you can be poor on the pitch but if you are a passion merchant, kiss the badge and knee slide etc you are given a free pass for low IQ football.

They watch football just for the emotional attachment and this is why players like Bruno are protected. Its not about football.

This is also why they loved Herrera and these other passionistas/passion merchants despite them being nobodies on the wider footballing stage.
:lol:

YouOnlyLiveTwice

Bruno is definitely not perfect, but i just like that he tries the difficult pass (because he has the ability to pull it off) and his work rate and passion is worthy of being captain. Winner type for sure. Can i get frustrated with how he is playing? feck yeah. But man he makes up for it with his other qualities.

Mr PG

Bruno's weakness is lack of a dribble to wiggle out of tough situations or manouver into a better shooting/passing angle. He's the best we have for now but some games I could see us using Casemiro/ Eriksen/ Sabitzer.

Valencia Shin Crosses

Bruno's weakness is lack of a dribble to wiggle out of tough situations or manouver into a better shooting/passing angle. He's the best we have for now but some games I could see us using Casemiro/ Eriksen/ Sabitzer.
Problem is none of those you named are particular good carriers/dribblers of the ball either, but yes Bruno is horrific as a dribbler particularly as a 10, which is why he's forced to make up for it with his off ball running.

It's the one reason I think Bellingham could actually work in our side. FDJ is a more natural fit as he's a more passive midfielder compared to Bellingham's all action type, but Jude can dribble/carry as well as any midfielder in the world and would provide a great foil (and at times alternative) to Bruno.

roonster09

Scout
It was a joke lads ffs.
Sorry for that :lol:, I thought you were serious and you can't blame me. I remember reading so many posts on how VdB would be better fit than Bruno with all those imaginary plays.

justsomebloke

Okay, forget percentiles by position. Let's just compare him to everyone in the PL.

3rd in Goal-creating actions.
2nd in shot-creating actions.
8th in xA/90
3rd in xA
2nd in through balls
6th in progressive passes
4th in passes into the penalty area
3rd in Key passes
3rd in xAG/90
2nd in xAG

All of which seems fairly 10ish to me.

It may well be that you have a very clear idea of how a 10 should play, what he should provide and what he shouldn't, and that Bruno does not correspond to this. He's very unlike Ødegaard for example, who's not just Arsenal's creative hub, but also their calm, stable center, a firm point to structure around. Bruno is something more chaotic. It's fair enough to prefer one type of 10 to another.

But whether you like or not, it's clear - indeed measurably clear - that he does provide a great deal in that role. Key passes, assists, passes into the penalty area, through balls, goal-creating actions - these are all key end products of a great 10, and he is demonstrably among the very best in the PL at delivering them. It's absurd to argue he is only being defended because of emotional attachment and enthusiasm for his spirit. If you genuinely think that, I don't think you're paying sufficient attention to the difference between your own tastes and preferences, and the objective impact of the player.

Canagel

Okay, forget percentiles by position. Let's just compare him to everyone in the PL.

8th in xA/90
3rd in xA
2nd in through balls
3rd in Key passes
3rd in xAG/90
2nd in xAG

It may well be that you have a very clear idea of how a 10 should play, what he should provide and what he shouldn't, and that Bruno does not correspond to this. He's very unlike Ødegaard for example, who's not just Arsenal's creative hub, but also their calm, stable center, a firm point to structure around. Bruno is something more chaotic. It's fair enough to prefer one type of 10 to another.

But whether you like or not, it's clear - indeed measurably clear - that he does provide a great deal in that role. Key passes, assists, passes into the penalty area, through balls, goal-creating actions - these are all key end products of a great 10, and he is demonstrably among the very best in the PL at delivering them. It's absurd to argue he is only being defended because of emotional attachment and enthusiasm for his spirit. If you genuinely think that, I don't think you're paying sufficient attention to the difference between your own tastes and preferences, and the objective impact of the player.
I appreciate your comment but respectfully disagree.

My comment was mainly in response to a contradictory statement which is now becoming a sort of trend that is confusing.

Player X has poor decision making beyond understanding.
Player X is also frustrating to watch.

I also love player X.

How do these statements match with each other? Even from logical perspective it doesnt make any sense.

My question is why is it difficult to put 2 and 2 together and admit people rate him for reasons other than football? My reasons can be debated but i dont believe I'm wrong. By your own admission he is "more chaotic". Can I see some examples of these chaotic number 10's in the world? Other people say he is frustrating. Why are you guys happy with a frustrating number 10? This is what I want to get to the bottom of.

I have also addressed his numbers before. The problem is you guys take these numbers and fail to apply the necessary context.

If I attempt 10 through balls and fail with 8 but 2 reach the intended target should I be praised or critisized? This is literally what Bruno does. You would still register high numbers and expected GA/XA but I say that you should be doing better with possession that you had.

You can be a high volume player but high volume doesnt equal quality.

Also a lot of the other creative stats are boosted by set pieces which Bruno takes a lot of and also high minutes which you didn't account for.

Eplel

If I attempt 10 through balls and fail with 8 but 2 reach the intended target should I be praised or critisized? This is literally what Bruno does
His through passing completion is 20%?

What is other players' in the league through ball success rate?

Canagel

Bruno is definitely not perfect, but i just like that he tries the difficult pass (because he has the ability to pull it off) and his work rate and passion is worthy of being captain. Winner type for sure. Can i get frustrated with how he is playing? feck yeah. But man he makes up for it with his other qualities.
This is what I'm talking about. Why do you get frustrated?
And can you point me to some of these other qualities?

Doesnt provide control, is chaotic, doesnt score much. As a matter of fact his goalscoring has gone down the drain since we stopped getting frequent penalties but I havent seen much talk about it.

I'm interested in having an honest discussion.

justsomebloke

I appreciate your comment but respectfully disagree.

My comment was mainly in response to a contradictory statement which is now becoming a sort of trend that is confusing.

I also love player X.

How do these statements match with each other? Even from logical perspective it doesnt make any sense.

My question is why is it difficult to put 2 and 2 together and admit people rate him for reasons other than football? My reasons can be debated but i dont believe I'm wrong. By your own admission he is "more chaotic". Can I see some examples of these chaotic number 10's in the world? Other people say he is frustrating. Why are you guys happy with a frustrating number 10? This is what I want to get to the bottom of.

I have also addressed his numbers before. The problem is you guys take these numbers and fail to apply the necessary context.

If I attempt 10 through balls and fail with 8 but 2 reach the intended target should I be praised or critisized? This is literally what Bruno does. You would still register high numbers and expected GA/XA but I say that you should be doing better with possession that you had.

Also a lot of the other creative stats are boosted by set pieces which Bruno takes a lot of and also high minutes which you didn't account for.

I also love player X.

I can see what you mean there about consistency. But in my view, the problem lies in the observations, not the conclusion. Bruno does not have poor decision making. That he is "frustrating" to watch is just an observer emotion, which really doesn't say very much about the matter at hand. It's a problem of football viewer psychology, not performance.

By your own admission he is "more chaotic". Can I see some examples of these chaotic number 10's in the world? Other people say he is frustrating. Why are you guys happy with a frustrating number 10? This is what I want to get to the bottom of.

What I wrote was that he was more chaotic in his style than Ødegaard. I chose that word because I was trying to describe what I suspect is at the root of your objections, but you could justifiably use other words to describe the same thing just as accurately - "unpredictable", for example. Or "creative". The point is in any case that there is more than one way to arrive at the end product, and it matters more what the end product is than whether you enjoy that particular route to it.

The problem is you guys take these numbers and fail to apply the necessary context.

Sorry, but that is not "literally" what Bruno does. If you have anything to back up that he's got a 20% success rate for through balls, please post it. And I don't think you have viable case here. Again, for most of the end product you want from a 10, Bruno is demonstrably among the best in the PL. You don't get high values for that and for xG and XA just by trying a lot, and it is simply not the case that the statistical image of Bruno's end product falls apart if you view it on a /90 basis. He has basically the same xAG as Ødegaard/90. Key passes/90, not as good as KDB, but better than MØ. He offers high volume and high quality. Which is actually better than low volume and perfect quality. I very much doubt you could account for that overall picture mainly or substantially through set pieces - you can try if you think it's worthwhile. But even if you did, you could point out that contributing through set pieces is actually also a real contribution.

His non-penalty XG/90 is slightly better than de Bruyne's this season, for example. So, actually, is his pass completion % (74.0 vs 71.7%). Compared to Ødegaard, he attempts roughly two more passes/90 (50.6 to 48.4), and completes roughly one fewer (37.5 to 38.4). This is the difference between a fraud and a brilliant, real #10?

If you look at Dead ball passes/90 compared to KDB and MØ, he doesn't stand out - he's got a few more than MØ (4.00 to 3.53), but he has much fewer than KDB (5.85). It's roughly the same if you look at live passes - a bit more than MØ, considerably fewer than KDB. SCA/90 and GCA/90, KDB is in a class of his own, but Bruno has pretty similar output to MØ. He's a bit behind them on successful take-ons and touches in oppo box, but he actually has fewer miscontrols, and he's dispossessed less often than MØ.

As far as I'm concerned, an attentive and even-handed application of the eye-test produces pretty much the same conclusion as the stats. You simply have a much, much more negative view of what Bruno delivers than the facts warrant.

Oranges038

I also love player X.

I can see what you mean there about consistency. But in my view, the problem lies in the observations, not the conclusion. Bruno does not have poor decision making. That he is "frustrating" to watch is just an observer emotion, which really doesn't say very much about the matter at hand. It's a problem of football viewer psychology, not performance.

By your own admission he is "more chaotic". Can I see some examples of these chaotic number 10's in the world? Other people say he is frustrating. Why are you guys happy with a frustrating number 10? This is what I want to get to the bottom of.

What I wrote was that he was more chaotic in his style than Ødegaard. I chose that word because I was trying to describe what I suspect is at the root of your objections, but you could justifiably use other words to describe the same thing just as accurately - "unpredictable", for example. Or "creative". The point is in any case that there is more than one way to arrive at the end product, and it matters more what the end product is than whether you enjoy that particular route to it.

The problem is you guys take these numbers and fail to apply the necessary context.

Sorry, but that is not "literally" what Bruno does. If you have anything to back up that he's got a 20% success rate for through balls, please post it. And I don't think you have viable case here. Again, for most of the end product you want from a 10, Bruno is demonstrably among the best in the PL. You don't get high values for that and for xG and XA just by trying a lot, and it is simply not the case that the statistical image of Bruno's end product falls apart if you view it on a /90 basis. He has basically the same xAG as Ødegaard/90. Key passes/90, not as good as KDB, but better than MØ. He offers high volume and high quality. Which is actually better than low volume and perfect quality. I very much doubt you could account for that overall picture mainly or substantially through set pieces - you can try if you think it's worthwhile. But even if you did, you could point out that contributing through set pieces is actually also a real contribution.

His non-penalty XG/90 is slightly better than de Bruyne's this season, for example. So, actually, is his pass completion % (74.0 vs 71.7%). Compared to Ødegaard, he attempts roughly two more passes/90 (50.6 to 48.4), and completes roughly one fewer (37.5 to 38.4). This is the difference between a fraud and a brilliant, real #10?

If you look at Dead ball passes/90 compared to KDB and MØ, he doesn't stand out - he's got a few more than MØ (4.00 to 3.53), but he has much fewer than KDB (5.85). It's roughly the same if you look at live passes - a bit more than MØ, considerably fewer than KDB. SCA/90 and GCA/90, KDB is in a class of his own, but Bruno has pretty similar output to MØ. He's a bit behind them on successful take-ons and touches in oppo box, but he actually has fewer miscontrols, and he's dispossessed less often than MØ.

As far as I'm concerned, an attentive and even-handed application of the eye-test produces pretty much the same conclusion as the stats. You simply have a much, much more negative view of what Bruno delivers than the facts warrant.
Well said.

Bruno does what he's in the team to do and he's one of the best in the league at it.

Lyng

. Yet still, week after week, this thread is infested with blow hards who think we’d be a better team without him. Madness.
I agree with you that most games we are better with him, but there are games where he simpy doesnt work that well. A team going at our throats like Leeds is where he is at his worst. He lacks composure and has zero ability to take on a man or dribble.
When you have Eriksen behind him, that isnt a issue though since Christian can slow the game down and him and Case add the much needed control.
If Bruno is with someone like Fred in midfield it turns into a erratic pingpong match and our midfield is like a open highway.

Thats also why I really hope we get De Jong. He adds the press resistance and dribbling from deep that would free up Bruno to play the way he plays best.

Marwood

Often its how he gives it away that creates the image of a really sloppy player. As opposed to the number of times he gives it away, with which he's comparable to KdB etc.

When Bruno loses possession there are no half measures. He gives it away in a real head scratching fashion.

Gabriel Djemba-Bebe

His passing in the final third can look erratic at times but it would help if we didn't have a statue standing around up front. Bruno's most productive season was when United could rely on Cavani's elite movement to drag defenders out of position and create space (before Cavani decided to declare himself unfit every week). If we had brought in a striker in Jan with better movement than Weghorst then we'd have seen Bruno's assists numbers increase. I'm confident that once we sign a world class striker in the summer then we'll see the best of Bruno.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Often its how he gives it away that creates the image of a really sloppy player. As opposed to the number of times he gives it away, with which he's comparable to KdB etc.

When Bruno loses possession there are no half measures. He gives it away in a real head scratching fashion.
Yeah, that’s definitely true. And it obviously distorts opinions.

justsomebloke

I agree with you that most games we are better with him, but there are games where he simpy doesnt work that well. A team going at our throats like Leeds is where he is at his worst. He lacks composure and has zero ability to take on a man or dribble.
When you have Eriksen behind him, that isnt a issue though since Christian can slow the game down and him and Case add the much needed control.
If Bruno is with someone like Fred in midfield it turns into a erratic pingpong match and our midfield is like a open highway.

Thats also why I really hope we get De Jong. He adds the press resistance and dribbling from deep that would free up Bruno to play the way he plays best.
Yeah, he only scored 6 goals and 2 assists in 4 games against Leeds over the previous two seasons, so they really should have known better than to start him. :D

justsomebloke

His passing in the final third can look erratic at times but it would help if we didn't have a statue standing around up front. Bruno's most productive season was when United could rely on Cavani's elite movement to drag defenders out of position and create space (before Cavani decided to declare himself unfit every week). If we had brought in a striker in Jan with better movement than Weghorst then we'd have seen Bruno's assists numbers increase. I'm confident that once we sign a world class striker in the summer then we'll see the best of Bruno.
Actually Bruno's most productive season was 19/20 (8g, 7a in 14 games), when he had mostly Martial playing up front.

Marwood

We've battered Leeds with Bruno in the team. Maybe an even more aggressive version of Leeds than we've seen this last week.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
Not sure where you’re coming at with this.

20/21 season Cavani didn’t start a league game until 29 December. From that date Cavani scored 7 league goals and Bruno only assisted 1 of them. Bruno’s form fell off a cliff the second half of that season. In addition to poor performances he only scored three non penalty goals and registered only 4 assists (2 in a 9-0 win) from 29/12 to end May.

Cavani wasn’t the answer.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia

8th in xA/90
3rd in xA
2nd in through balls
3rd in Key passes
3rd in xAG/90
2nd in xAG

Outside top 20 for goals scored.
15th for assists.

These actions win games and trophies.

They will never award points to teams for XG XA passes in final 3rd etc. Thankfully.

Lyng

Yeah, he only scored 6 goals and 2 assists in 4 games against Leeds over the previous two seasons, so they really should have known better than to start him. :D
Read the whole post. Its only when we dont have a proper midfield behind him its an issue.

roonster09

Scout
I’d like to see those passing stats tattooed inside the eyelids of a few regular posters in this thread.

To give the ball away at more or less the same rate as almost every other player in the team (other than central defenders) while also being by far our most consistent creator of goal-scoring chances and working his bollox off to press and win the ball back when we don’t have possession (need to see stats for this but willing to bet they’re excellent) proves what an invaluable player he is. Even without all the evidence about how highly he is obviously rated by anyone who’s ever managed him. Yet still, week after week, this thread is infested with blow hards who think we’d be a better team without him. Madness.
Most of the posters are fan of a certain x player, so it's not surprising or madness. It's something that's expected.

8th in xA/90
3rd in xA
2nd in through balls
3rd in Key passes
3rd in xAG/90
2nd in xAG

I also love player X.

I sometimes consider posting more, but then I see posts like this and remember why I mostly lurk :lol: Quality content, mate.

Lyng

Last 2 seasons we didn't have proper midfield, it was Fred and McT.
Yes and we had issues vs those teams every single time. With a composed midfield Bruno is free to play his game and thats when he is best. Against less pressing teams he is good regardless of midfield.

Gabriel Djemba-Bebe

Not sure where you’re coming at with this.

20/21 season Cavani didn’t start a league game until 29 December. From that date Cavani scored 7 league goals and Bruno only assisted 1 of them. Bruno’s form fell off a cliff the second half of that season. In addition to poor performances he only scored three non penalty goals and registered only 4 assists (2 in a 9-0 win) from 29/12 to end May.

Cavani wasn’t the answer.
My argument wasn't as simple as 'most of Bruno's assists were for Cavanis goals'. It was more about how our creative players are more effective when they have a centre forward creating space.

Look at Cavani's goal vs Burnley for example. The stats won't say it was a Bruno assist, but it was clear to anyone watching that it was good link-up play between our midfield and attack. Cavani's movement opened up the space for Donny to be left unmarked, Bruno passes to Donny, Donny squares it to Cavani who then scores. That kind of goal is unlikely to happen with Weghorst up front as he doesn't possess the movement or link-up play to interchange with our creative players.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
My argument wasn't as simple as 'most of Bruno's assists were for Cavanis goals'. It was more about how our creative players are more effective when they have a centre forward creating space.

Look at Cavani's goal vs Burnley for example. The stats won't say it was a Bruno assist, but it was clear to anyone watching that it was good link-up play between our midfield and attack. Cavani's movement opened up the space for Donny to be left unmarked, Bruno passes to Donny, Donny squares it to Cavani who then scores. That kind of goal is unlikely to happen with Weghorst up front as he doesn't possess the movement or link-up play to interchange with our creative players.
But generally Bruno didn’t play well in that period…my point wasn’t about one pass in one game.

Idxomer

Stats won't do him justice but I thought he was magnificent in the pressing and very controlled on the ball.
Yeah, he had a very good game and restrained himself from going for the Hollywood ball needlessly.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
The commentators on my channel were in love with Bruno. As they should be.

BerryBerryShrew

I thought it was a very good display. Trojan work rate and picked his moments to be creative rather than forcing it all of the time.

zaafi

I thought he was going to have a bad game tonight with Kessie and Gavi constantly breathing down his neck but he had a really good game. Still needs to learn when to play long balls and when not to.

Status
Not open for further replies.