g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });
Bruno Fernandes image 8

Bruno Fernandes Portugal flag

2023-24 Performances

View full 2023-24 profile

5.3 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

NZT-One

I wasn’t responding to your point, though. He wasn’t making a point about fit. He was making a point about quality. Bruno plays shit per 90 and creates chances, with some comparison to Ruud.
Actually, I was jumping inbetween your conversation ^^ I think, the user didn't want to compare quality or fit - he argued, that the existence of some good to very good stats doesn't necessarily have dictate a general judgement about the players quality. Which I think we should be able to agree to. If you have a player, who is doing wonderful things but also does reckless things that put the team under pressure, how do you judge such a player? What do we value more - the positives or the negatives? What is better, somebody with low lows and high highs or somebody without those fluctuations.

We all know, that it takes more to create a very successful and functioning team. Good players are essential, but sometimes, but not all good players fit every team. Bruno does fit us right now - but this status quo is something, that many fans expect to change at some point in time. And I think, it is a very fair question, if Bruno will be a accelerating or decelerating factor in that.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
Wait, what’s the comparison to Ruud supposed to signify here? Bruno is just a creative player because he spans creative passes just like Ruud was a goalscorer just because he…was just a poacher? Ruud was recognised as a top striker for a good reason, it wasn’t some lazy assessment by people who didn’t really “get” football.

Much like you can’t just dismiss one of the most creative players of his generation recognising Bruno as the most creative midfielder in the league. That’s not just some throwaway comment that fails to take into account some wider appreciation of the game. If Bruno was somehow gaming the stats by using some cheap method, don’t you think that would factor into De Bruyne’s assessment?
And as you can’t dismiss that Ruud and Henry were the two best strikers in the league, (who would score the goals if it weren’t for him?)….Then you can’t dismiss how much we improved when he left.

Do I think KDB watches Bruno week in week out? No. As previously said, there’s very little debate on here post games about Bruno’s performance good or bad. The majority agree good/bad. There isn’t some weird kind of polarity in the appraisals….until about 5 days later when someone wheels out a stat or a video and in jump those fans who seem to think Bruno can’t be questioned on the basis of his stats or a video.

Doesn’t change the fact his actual performances have merit and if you flick through the performance threads for the past two seasons it is clear that consistency of performance is not a strength of Bruno’s either game to game or minute to minute. Having great chance creation stats doesn’t equal having a great game, month or season and his actual output (goals/assists) hasn’t been great the last two seasons either.

Anyway since my experience is that you’ll take this to the extreme and down your agenda road…I’ll stick you back on ignore now and leave you to it.

Glorio

What he needs to go up a level is more mental than anything really, calmness and patience.

I've posted here already that he lost his head after the yellow against Spurs, and unfortunately, that means our play falls apart.
EtH mentioned it in the embargoed session of his pre match conference before Forest - even when things go against us, he still needs to concentrate and do his job.

zaafi

Literally came to post this.

One of the best ever midfielders in prem says Bruno is the best creative midfielder in the league (excl himself).

Caf experts think he’s shit and want rid.
Not a single poster ever has said he isn't creative or a chance creating machine. The thing is you need more than that to be a world class midfielder.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
And as you can’t dismiss that Ruud and Henry were the two best strikers in the league, (who would score the goals if it weren’t for him?)….Then you can’t dismiss how much we improved when he left.

Do I think KDB watches Bruno week in week out? No. As previously said, there’s very little debate on here post games about Bruno’s performance good or bad. The majority agree good/bad. There isn’t some weird kind of polarity in the appraisals….until about 5 days later when someone wheels out a stat or a video and in jump those fans who seem to think Bruno can’t be questioned on the basis of his stats or a video.

Doesn’t change the fact his actual performances have merit and if you flick through the performance threads for the past two seasons it is clear that consistency of performance is not a strength of Bruno’s either game to game or minute to minute. Having great chance creation stats doesn’t equal having a great game, month or season and his actual output (goals/assists) hasn’t been great the last two seasons either.

Anyway since my experience is that you’ll take this to the extreme and down your agenda road…I’ll stick you back on ignore now and leave you to it.
We improved when Ruud left because Ruud was 30 and declining and Rooney and Ronaldo were literally making step ups to world class players. It had nothing to do with the type of players. You don't think that if Ruud was at his prime and it lined up with Rooney and Ronaldo between 06-09 that it wouldn't have been a ridiculously strong front line??

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
We improved when Ruud left because Ruud was 30 and declining and Rooney and Ronaldo were literally making step ups to world class players. It had nothing to do with the type of players. You don't think that if Ruud was at his prime and it lined up with Rooney and Ronaldo between 06-09 that it wouldn't have been a ridiculously strong front line??
I don’t actually no. I think Ruud was an unbelievable player and the best individual out and out striker I’ve seen by a distance. But he needed specific things in order for him to be effective. You wouldn’t have paired him with Yorke and seen the same impact as you did with Cole. Removing Ruud allowed us to play with three attackers who interchanged.

Don’t get me wrong I loved Ruud but he went to Madrid and was excellent there, but didn’t fit where we were going as a team.

Marwood

That isn't the point, that was made. The point was - when this great player RVN left, the team as a collective became a better unit. It evolved. Nobody says that Bruno isn't producing a lot of good things, the question is, will he be able to evolve with the team or will managers continue accomodate him, potentially risking an evolution of the team as a whole.

Nobody has the answers to it. But it is a legitimate thing to discuss.
When we say that team evolved without Ruud are we not just saying Rooney and Ronaldo came of age? Or at the least their maturing was the main factor in performances taking a leap.

If we had a young Rooney and Ronaldo now, on the cusp of taking that step up, then sure, it's legitimate to discuss can we improve without Bruno.

But we haven't. Nowhere near. Moving on from Bruno now would be a disaster.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP

CG1010

My man of the match. He is the soul of the team and produced the goods today all over the pitch. His work rate is off the charts. But having said that, its still not happening for him in open play when shooting. Needs to get into form quickly.

izec

He is not the issue. He is our best creator. He has weaknesses, but he works his socks off and creates out of nothing.

We need players that fit him and the team. I dont know what our manager is doing with the midfield around him.

Oranges038

Great today. Hopefully a proper striker in this side and he'll get the assists he deserves.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
First time i saw him act like a true captain, kept his calm and led by example.

Motm

Tony247

Captain's performance today. Led from the front. I thought he might lose his head after going two down. Not today.

Tom Van Persie

No relation
We have fans that want this guy dropped or even sold and don't think he's good enough to be captain. Absolutely mental.

jem

He's still frustrating but that was far better today. Now he needs to maintain the form and composure on a weekly basis.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Another thing I think needs recognising about Bruno: The penalty we got today was the kind of penalty we were losing out on all last season. Coming out hard and challenging the refs after Spurs was clearly the right thing to do.

The officials respond to pressure, we've seen that. Besides Bruno though, would anyone else in our team have put it out there on TV? That's a big intangible he brings to the team nobody else does.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
Not seen any of the game due to a family party but good to hear he had a better game. Crucial penalty also.

NZT-One

We have fans that want this guy dropped or even sold and don't think he's good enough to be captain. Absolutely mental.
Most just want him to adapt but I guess, who cares. He did well with the penalty today, high pressure moment, top class execution. Kudos to him. Apart from it - we barely won against a 10men Forrest side with a "defend deep" game plan. We weren't able to either control the game or put it to bed when they went a man down. Great result, but I don't think, such games should be what we are looking out for.

The United

Most just want him to adapt but I guess, who cares. He did well with the penalty today, high pressure moment, top class execution. Kudos to him. Apart from it - we barely won against a 10men Forrest side with a "defend deep" game plan. We weren't able to either control the game or put it to bed when they went a man down. Great result, but I don't think, such games should be what we are looking out for.
Yeah, and it had a lot more to do with the team as a whole than one player himself. Which is something he kinda proved there.

NZT-One

Yeah, and it had a lot more to do with the team as a whole than one player himself. Which is something he kinda proved there.
I agree, he certainly wasn't at fault for our woes (even though I personally didn't think he played that much different from other occasions). What do you mean with "he kinda proved there"?

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
Absolutely brilliant footballer. Can really do everything, except tackle. But makes up for that by running so hard. I love the Bruno that plays a little deeper because we can see his superb passing range. He’s such a threat too. Lucky to have him.

izec

To accomodate a nothing player in Mason Mount. Guy cant create half the chances in 10 games that Bruno did today. Ridiculous stuff really, but then again, levels and expectations have dropped quite a bit and the fans are adjusting downwards it seems.

The United

I agree, he certainly wasn't at fault for our woes (even though I personally didn't think he played that much different from other occasions). What do you mean with "he kinda proved there"?
That the whole team needs to raise their level to compete with the best. Even at his best, he can't do it alone. And, when he is not at his best, people can be a little bit too harsh on him because, of course, the team as a whole can be in a big mess at times and it made his 'bad' performance look "extremely bad".

Before people say he needs to raise his level as well, Of course he does too, but as a player who has created the most chances in the PL since he got here, he is not exactly deserving of some of the shit he got at times.

NZT-One

That the whole team needs to raise their level to compete with the best. Even at his best, he can't do it alone. And, when he is not at his best, people can be a little bit too harsh on him because, of course, the team as a whole can be in a big mess at times and it made his 'bad' performance look "extremely bad".

Before people say he needs to raise his level as well, Of course he does too, but as a player who has created the most chances in the PL since he got here, he is not exactly deserving of some of the shit he got at times.
We can agree to that.

Overall, I think it is important to remind ourselves, that football these days is more than just "raise the level" as if players only have to surpass a certain level of good to somehow create a great team all of a sudden. Not that I don't agree with you, that the team has to step up, but seeing the collective aspects of the game so prominent like in the last years, only going for "good" or "great" players (just because they are good or great) will still leave us lacking in behind. (Even though I am happy to confirm that this absolutely seemed like our modus operandi (even in Fergies last years) )