g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });
Bruno Fernandes image 8

Bruno Fernandes Portugal flag

2023-24 Performances

View full 2023-24 profile

5.3 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

Still ill

Fantasy Football Champ 2018
You're right - those stats prove he's the main problem and once we get rid of him we'll see our other players flourish.
Right, you're being facetious because I was facetious. Touché. My point is it's a team game, he's our main man and it's not working. A decrease in his expected assists or successful passes into the box stats or whatever in favour of us having a bit more control of games seems desirable at the moment, no? Unless he wants to frame those beautiful stats and spend his declining years gazing fondly at them over the fireplace. He strikes me as a man that would prefer some actual medals.

Gabriel Djemba-Bebe

Right, you're being facetious because I was facetious. Touché. My point is it's a team game, he's our main man and it's not working. A decrease in his expected assists or successful passes into the box stats or whatever in favour of us having a bit more control of games seems desirable at the moment, no? Unless he wants to frame those beautiful stats and spend his declining years gazing fondly at them over the fireplace. He strikes me as a man that would prefer some actual medals.
We can still control games with him in our team. When a team is underperforming, it's rare that the solution is to drop the main man. That will likely lead us to looking even more toothless in attack.

Last edited:

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
That depends on whether you think Bruno is the main (or even an important) factor in our lack of control.

To me it looks much more like the problems start in deeper areas of the pitch, with our lack of a settled back four and central midfielders who don’t track runs and give the ball away almost as much as the players whose primary role is to create. Fix those problems and there’s a good chance Bruno’s strengths will hugely outweigh his flaws.

It’s not as though we haven’t seen what this looks like. When Casemiro is on top of his game (depressingly rarely) or Fred had one of his superman performances, along withour first choice back four available/playing well we look like a top quality team. Nobody moans about Bruno on the rare occasions that all of this happens.

Last edited:

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
That depends on whether you think Bruno is the main (or even an important) factor in our lack of control.

To me it looks much more like the problems start in deeper areas of the pitch, with our lack of a settled back four and central midfielders who don’t track runs and give the ball away almost as much as the players whose primary role is to create. Fix those problems and there’s a good chance Bruno’s strengths will hugely outweigh his flaws.

It’s not as though we haven’t seen what this looks like. When Casemiro is on top of his game (depressingly rarely) or Fred had one of his superman performances, along withour first choice back four available/playing well we look like a top quality team. Nobody moans about Bruno on the rare occasions that all of this happens.
:lol: So many issues with this.

Still ill

Fantasy Football Champ 2018

Well yeah, Pogue, if Casemiro improves it has an effect, ditto our defence but this is precisely the problem. Everyone has to get better, adapt, change a bit. Our midfield is totally dysfunctional at the moment. Bruno can't be the same player he is when we're in full flow. He has to be a different player right now. If the opposition are ripping us open every time we lose the ball we have to try to lose the ball less, no? In our current incarnation, he's a liability. Is there a way of him not being a liability? He's our captain. It's up to him to find a way of leading out there. The narrative of all of that being on Ten Hag or Casemiro or whoever is too simplistic.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Well yeah, Pogue, if Casemiro improves it has an effect, ditto our defence but this is precisely the problem. Everyone has to get better, adapt, change a bit. Our midfield is totally dysfunctional at the moment. Bruno can't be the same player he is when we're in full flow. He has to be a different player right now. If the opposition are ripping us open every time we lose the ball we have to try to lose the ball less, no? In our current incarnation, he's a liability. Is there a way of him not being a liability? He's our captain. It's up to him to find a way of leading out there. The narrative of all of that being on Ten Hag or Casemiro or whoever is too simplistic.
There have been games where he’s been asked to play deeper and he’s been a lot less chaotic when he plays there. Second half of our last match being a good example. So it’s definitely possible. But I just don’t think that should be his role in the team and asking him to play more conservatively takes away a lot of his best qualities. So I understand why ETH doesn’t want him to do that, in a team that is already desperately short of creativity/goals.

I do think Bruno’s form has not been good this season. He’s had some very poor individual performances. Which reflects the general malaise that has affected everyone in the team. I don’t think asking him to play more conservatively will help him or the team. There are certainly much more urgent problems to fix.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
He is the poster boy for “dont look at the stats”. Because add some dribbling completion to this list and his stats read like prime Messi.
Tbf put him in a better team and he wouldn't be prime Messi but he would score more often and have a scary number of assists.

He has issues with his lack of physicality but outside of that I think people are watching a player too good for the team he's in trying to force the issue, and mistaking it for him not being very good. Although I agree he is infuriating at times.

If Bruno was in a team with forwards who created and scored goals regularly, and a midfield/defence that could control possession, my guess is his decision making would be a LOT better, and he'd also have more space to operate in.

You just need to look at how often he plays Rashford in when Rashford is on form. Imagine that but in a team where he would have 3 forwards making those runs who are all capable of sticking the ball in the net. Or even the spells at United where he had Rashford, Martial, Greenwood, Cavani, etc.

He's a creative player so if the forward pass option isn't there he has a tendancy to try and force it, but a big part of the problem is why the option is so rarely there in the first place

Gabriel Djemba-Bebe

Tbf put him in a better team and he wouldn't be prime Messi but he would score more often and have a scary number of assists.

He has issues with his lack of physicality but outside of that I think people are watching a player too good for the team he's in trying to force the issue, and mistaking it for him not being very good. Although I agree he is infuriating at times.

If Bruno was in a team with forwards who created and scored goals regularly, and a midfield/defence that could control possession, my guess is his decision making would be a LOT better, and he'd also have more space to operate in.

You just need to look at how often he plays Rashford in when Rashford is on form. Imagine that but in a team where he would have 3 forwards making those runs who are all capable of sticking the ball in the net. Or even the spells at United where he had Rashford, Martial, Greenwood, Cavani, etc.

He's a creative player so if the forward pass option isn't there he has a tendancy to try and force it, but a big part of the problem is why the option is so rarely there in the first place
Agreed. His best season for us came when Greenwood, Cavani and an in-form Rashford were making runs either side of him and stretching defences. Antony doesn't have the pace to make those kind of runs and Rashford seems to be suffering from a lack of confidence, so at the moment we're seeing Bruno forcing passes that aren't there. Although I'm confident we'll see him get plenty of assists for Hojlund the more they get used to each other's game.

Swedish_Plumber

What’s with him and not taking it to the corner when we’re ahead and the games in the balance?

He’s done it loads that I can remember. Great if you score but invariably it gives the opposition one last chance to send it up.

Lyng

He has been woeful this season and tonight was among his worst. Zero composure.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
At least the xA and the chance creation stats are up tonight, eh

hobbers

Another away game, another 2/10 performance from captain fantastic

Looking at that otherworldly assist he got today just makes you wonder where all these naysayers and boo boys have come from.

bstb3

Is the armband a curse? Bruno gets it, goes to pap. Maguire loses it, gets better. Not good again tonight, looks so much better for Portugal so something has to be amiss and wondering if it is the pressure.

philippexyz

Will Ten Hag "die" on the Bruno hill? It seems inevitable at this point. I'm tired of criticizing Bruno for the same things, will leave this time to some of the rest of you...

El Jefe

Got an assist. Magnifico.

Each passing game he just cements the thought that we’re going nowhere with him.

NZT-One

Meh, Bruno being Bruno, it's on the manager that keeps playing him. It's not like we don't have options now.
Same here... Think, it was beyond bizarre that he wasn't the one going off when Eriksen came on. McTom wasn't great either, could've brought on Meijbri and Mount at the same time. The whole team isn't clicking right now, I think, the only chance ETH has, is to really drop a signal here, either bench Bruno or Rashford. It clearly isn't working. Those two might turn out the anchor dragging the manager down eventually...

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
He’s absolutely shite. A player who had three good months. His performances for three season now have been terrible 9 games out of 10. That tonight was embarrassing. Unless you’re Statman Dave or Pogue.

OldSchoolManc

Pass the hot potato captain armband. Also bench Bruno for the sake of looking better than a schoolyard kick about

hobbers

What do you think about our next manager? How will he deal with Bruno(whoever that is)?

Make a prediction.
Hopefully do to Bruno what ETH did to Maguire.

Progressively less games until he ends up on the bench more often than not. Give him a run out in Europa league and cup games.

Problem is the only way that happens is if we spend big on someone to take over the role. Or bring in Potter and he'll give it to Mount.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Absolutely reeks this season so far.

Bit weird because he looks great for Portugal. His weight of pass and pass selection is always good but he sticks a Utd kit on and it’s drab.

Stadjer

Bad game... but he got a very ugly assist. The battle between ''Bruno is a bad player because he cant keep the ball'' and ''Bruno is a good player just look at his stats'' will continue.

I thought he had another bad game. Has he had an actual good game for Manchester United this season? Not just scoring or assisting but just actually playing well? Not losing the ball often and having his passes reach the intended target?