2023-24 Performances

View full 2023-24 profile

5.3 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Did you see how many fast breaks we got today? In what world is that normal.
If we can make that happen against Villa, one of the hardest to breakdown teams in England, I am sure we can make it happen again.

Nobody else has reversed a deficit against Emery all season. At some point you just have to accept that, when Bruno's leading the creative charge, we are pretty hard for opponents to resist. At least when he's operating in front of a capable midfield...

TheRedDevil'sAdvocate

The first goal was all him, he made it happen all by himself. Lukewarm first half performance, but it was the whole team that looked disjointed and not just him. Much improved in the second half. Someone needs to tell him, though, that in the PL the officials often referee reputations, and he's not making it easy for himself.

sammyhol

Played him in his actual position and played well….

Again….

I wonder if there is a lesson in this somewhere?

Idxomer

He ran a lot, lost the ball a lot, and played some great long balls.

Nothing spectacular or special.

Phil

That’s exactly what you want to see from him. Loved the closing down and winning the ball back for the goal too.

NZT-One

There was a point early second half where I wanted somebody to slap him to get him out of his whining and back to focus. Today he managed that on his own, kudos to him. He played alright, I think, his contribution against the ball wasn't the best, there were a few moments where Villa played easy triangles around him, but at the end of the day, their high line suited him to a tee. This is where he flourishes. Unfortunately, not all our opponents will lineup like that.

Guv77

3 bookings now for chatting back to the ref.
Don’t want to see that in a captain.

Gabriel Djemba-Bebe

I think he plays better with Eriksen next to him as he knows he's not the only creative player, so he forces things less often.

UnitedRepublic

If we can make that happen against Villa, one of the hardest to breakdown teams in England, I am sure we can make it happen again.
Watch us next week game when Nottingham sits deep. Villa played a extreme high line today.

NZT-One

The stats I referenced in my previous post.

Either that or watch his performances without bias. And don’t get me wrong, there have been some poor performances this season (although less frequent than almost every other player at the club) but there’s been a trend in this thread recently of absolutely rinsing decent performances. Which the stats can prove to be down to bias.
Typical good to very good performance of the last few weeks. With a typical level of petulance too. But because we won I guarantee there’ll be a hell of a lot less negativity about his overall contribution.
So the poor performances where only at the start of the season then?

Just checking: Is Bruno still the cause of our problems and in desperate need of dropping..? :p
Yes he is still an issue but the critics are asking for him to be replaced rather than for him being dropped. And one game doesn't really change it. I mean, that is the tune of most of you guys when he had a bad game, so it has to apply here as well, does it?

Nobody else has reversed a deficit against Emery all season. At some point you just have to accept that, when Bruno's leading the creative charge, we are pretty hard for opponents to resist. At least when he's operating in front of a capable midfield...
Villa operates with a high line. When you manage to play long balls AND beat their offside, you are are on two something. That Bruno would be a weapon in those conditions should have been obvious. Thinking that we beat Villa just because Eriksen was on the pitch and we finally played well wouldn't be the right conclusion. Although it obviously helped massively. But there is more to the story.

Gabriel Djemba-Bebe

To be fair, as captain, he was well within his rights to shout at the ref on that occasion. Bruno tried to take a quick free kick, Villa player stands 2 yards in front of him to block it (textbook yellow card), ref gives nothing, Bruno complains that it was an obvious yellow, ref books Bruno :houllier:

Lyng

I think he plays better with Eriksen next to him as he knows he's not the only creative player, so he forces things less often.
Yup. Those two have excellent understanding. Eriksen allows Bruno to do what he does best, because he knows there is a passing option for the defense behind him.

Lyng

To be fair, as captain, he was well within his rights to shout at the ref on that occasion. Bruno tried to take a quick free kick, Villa player stands 2 yards in front of him to block it (textbook yellow card), ref gives nothing, Bruno complains that it was an obvious yellow, ref books Bruno :houllier:
Yeah I hate Brunos petulence but that was a stonewall yellow to the Villa player and he was fully in his right to complain.

Played him in his actual position and played well….

Again….

I wonder if there is a lesson in this somewhere?
I fancy that you may be onto something pal:

neon_badger

He's capable of those games. Don't get carried away and expect it to happen week in week out, we still won't compete for anything big with him in the team.
Villa's highline and our defenders being quicker releasing the ball with our attacking players running very effectively particularly in the second half suited Bruno, particularly having Eriksen instead of McTominay and as a critic I must admit he played well, but a truly great player finds a way to play well in all situations not just when the wind is in your sails, everyone played very well tonight and credit due Bruno was good, particularly after Villa's second goal.

sebsheep

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Excellent second half from him today, really started to get the team moving and played some lovely through balls.

Watch us next week game when Nottingham sits deep. Villa played a extreme high line today.
Villa's highline and our defenders being quicker releasing the ball with our attacking players running very effectively particularly in the second half suited Bruno, particularly having Eriksen instead of McTominay and as a critic I must admit he played well, but a truly great player finds a way to play well in all situations not just when the wind is in your sails, everyone played very well tonight and credit due Bruno was good, particularly after Villa's second goal.
It's like collective amnesia has set in and people have forgotten the numerous times Bruno has opened up tight games for us. Literally, the main reason Ole's United went from stuck in sixth, counter attacking everyone, to climbing the table. Short memories I suppose.

Scandi Red

Hates Music.
Our 1st goal was classic Bruno from last season.

He works hard, reads the play, intercepts the ball, plays a perfectly weighted pass to a winger/fullback who then squares it into the box for one of our players to finish the job. This sequence started our comeback for real.

NZT-One

I fancy that you may be onto something pal:

The lesson is "play him against high lines as often as you can and don't task him with general midfield play".

It's like collective amnesia has set in and people have forgotten the numerous times Bruno has opened up tight games for us. Literally, the main reason Ole's United went from stuck in sixth, counter attacking everyone, to climbing the table. Short memories I suppose.
I think you are mistaking spamming balls in behind for opening tight games. It is a numbers game at some point. And this is not me saying that he can only be effective in games like today. Of course he can effect other games as well. Just not as well as games like today. But credit where credit is due, I think, he was fine today. The overall outlook most likely will be very different next week when up against a deeper block and he isn't afforded space to play into.

united for life

He ran a lot, lost the ball a lot, and played some great long balls.

Nothing spectacular or special.
74 touches
11 passes into final ⅓ (most)
10 passes into opp. box (most)
7/14 duels won
7 crosses
5 through-balls (most)
3 interceptions
3 chances created
2 take-ons completed
2 shots

add to that his never die work rate. And no, he did not lose the ball a lot

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Absolutely absurd he got the yellow and Luiz didn't.

Much better form him today, he certainly knows how to play against teams playing a high line.

The lesson is "play him against high lines as often as you can and don't task him with general midfield play".

I think you are mistaking spamming balls in behind for opening tight games. It is a numbers game at some point. And this is not me saying that he can only be effective in games like today. Of course he can effect other games as well. Just not as well as games like today. But credit where credit is due, I think, he was fine today. The overall outlook most likely will be very different next week when up against a deeper block and he isn't afforded space to play into.
Nope. Genuinely not. Bruno has opened up teams that are massed on their 18 yard box literally dozens of times. He's not managed to run up a 3 figure total for goal contributions by spamming balls in behind. I can't be bothered to find a video with every chance he's made for United. But I can promise you he's made key passes and assists against every type of defensive structure for us.

Gabriel Djemba-Bebe

Oh no, how on earth will he cope in our next game?! Do you not remember how he played against Forest's low block in April? You might want to check the post-match reactions on here to jog your memory.

Scandi Red

Hates Music.
Wait a minute... Bruno is only useful against teams that play a high line, but simultaneously useless against strong opponents, who all play a high line? Makes no sense, brah...

It's amazing how people will twist and turn to change the narrative to make Bruno look as bad as possible.

NZT-One

Nope. Genuinely not. Bruno has opened up teams that are massed on their 18 yard box literally dozens of times. He's not managed to run up a 3 figure total for goal contributions by spamming balls in behind. I can't be bothered to find a video with every chance he's made for United. But I can promise you he's made key passes and assists against every type of defensive structure for us.
But a video of his chances wouldn't help your argument here. I didn't deny him creating chances. What I am saying is that he is playing a numbers game. Spamming is probably a bit of a stretch and not the most neutral term but it isn't categorically wrong. He is our main facillitator, you can make a point for him being the only one. So of course he has amassed all types of situations. But still, just like more or less every good 10 in world football, he thrives when he has space to play into. So, obviously, a game with optimal conditions, like tonight, will suit him and he'll look good.

Oh no, how on earth will he cope in our next game?! Do you not remember how he played against Forest's low block in April? You might want to check the post-match reactions on here to jog your memory.
Lets try to keep it clean here - I didn't say we should be worried. All I said was, lets not overreact for one game against a team with suiting tactics. Nottingham will probably play with different tactics and we may not have the advantage* we had today.

*the extent of advantage is obviously debatable but I think it is safe to say, it was there. Another team might have closed the shop more effectively after a 2 goal lead.

Gabriel Djemba-Bebe

I didn't say we should be worried. All I said was, lets not overreact for one game against a team with suiting tactics. Nottingham will probably play with different tactics and we may not have the advantage* we had today.

*the extent of advantage is obviously debatable but I think it is safe to say, it was there. Another team might have closed the shop more effectively after a 2 goal lead.
A little reminder as to how the caf thought he fared vs Nottingham Forest's low block last time we played them away: https://www.redcafe.net/threads/bruno-fernandes-2022-23-performances.471416/page-153

Idxomer

74 touches
11 passes into final ⅓ (most)
10 passes into opp. box (most)
7/14 duels won
7 crosses
5 through-balls (most)
3 interceptions
3 chances created
2 take-ons completed
2 shots

add to that his never die work rate. And no, he did not lose the ball a lot
He lost the ball 24 times, meaning that almost every third touch resulted in a possession for Villa. He also conceded a dumb foul for the first goal.

He was still very good in a game that suited him, it was almost the same performance he had against Villa 3 years ago when we lost 1-0.

But a video of his chances wouldn't help your argument here. I didn't deny him creating chances. What I am saying is that he is playing a numbers game. Spamming is probably a bit of a stretch and not the most neutral term but it isn't categorically wrong. He is our main facillitator, you can make a point for him being the only one. So of course he has amassed all types of situations. But still, just like more or less every good 10 in world football, he thrives when he has space to play into.

Lets try to keep it clean here - I didn't say we should be worried. All I said was, lets not overreact for one game against a team with suiting tactics. Nottingham will probably play with different tactics and we may not have the advantage* we had today.

A video would illustrate the various circumstances in which Bruno has opened up tight defences. Without relying either on simply playing balls in behind or waiting until games becomes broken and capitalising on transitional moments.

For example, I cannot tell you how many times I have seen Bruno play a flat or reverse pass into the inside channel. I recall the game at White Hart Lane where we were playing against Mourinho's defence, where Bruno chopped the ball and fired it into Martial. A routine pass he makes all the time against packed defences.

NZT-One

A little reminder as to how the caf thought he fared vs Nottingham Forest's low block last time we played them away: https://www.redcafe.net/threads/bruno-fernandes-2022-23-performances.471416/page-153
Well yeah it is Nottingham after all, isn't it? And as a frequent visitor of Brunos threads in the last months and years, I know that good games draw as much attentions as bad games did. Lets hope he has a good game again, won't complain. Maybe he is upping his level now. But one game isn't enough to make a trend. It is something to be happy about, no complaining about it.

DavelinaJolie

Really good performance, hassled Villa defenders and played some quick critical passes to the forwards. Had space to pass into quickly for runners which seems to be when he works best.

90 + 5min

While it must be little bit irritating sometimes he was in his right in this game. Why didn't Pawson book Aston Villa player? Fernandes was in his right to tell referee that as a captain.

NZT-One

A video would illustrate the various circumstances in which Bruno has opened up tight defences. Without relying either on simply playing balls in behind or waiting until games becomes broken and capitalising on transitional moments.

For example, I cannot tell you how many times I have seen Bruno play a flat or reverse pass into the inside channel. I recall the game at White Hart Lane where we were playing against Mourinho's defence, where Bruno chopped the ball and fired it into Martial. A routine pass he makes all the time against packed defences.
Ok, just to be clear: Are we really arguing about me saying that Bruno will produce more in conditions like today, against a high line, instead of against packed defenses? Because I am sure this statement can easily be made and backed up by stats for pretty much every attacking player on the planet. I didn't say he cannot do it in other circumstances and knowing that a) he is the one player who carries the chance creation since years and b) that he has a knack for playing early balls in behind, I am well aware of the fact that he did achieve it in other conditions. He still is more productive in conditions as today. It isn't a coincidence that most of our attacking players looked better today.

I always struggle to understand how people ignore the oppositions setup when they "evaluate" how good or bad we were. Remember last Chelsea game? People thought we were so good against them. And a weekend later we were crap again. Well no, conditions differ.

While it must be little bit irritating sometimes he was in his right in this game. Why didn't Pawson book Aston Villa player? Fernandes was in his right to tell referee that as a captain.
I agree, this time he was right. And I guess nobody would make remarks if he would just told that to the ref. But he is impulsive and has a tendency to throw a tantrum. This isn't covered by the captains armband. That being said, I was positively suprised that he managed to contain himself for most of the 2nd half.

Gabriel Djemba-Bebe

Well yeah it is Nottingham after all, isn't it? And as a frequent visitor of Brunos threads in the last months and years, I know that good games draw as much attentions as bad games did. Lets hope he has a good game again, won't complain. Maybe he is upping his level now. But one game isn't enough to make a trend. It is something to be happy about, no complaining about it.
So hang on - when he plays well vs 3rd place Villa, that's because "their high line played to his strengths". But when he also plays well vs a low block, it's "only Nottingham Forest after all"? The mental gymnastics some people go through to downplay Bruno's ability is mad.

Scandi Red

Hates Music.
So hang on - when he plays well vs 3rd place Villa, that's because "their high line played to his strengths". But when he also plays well vs a low block, it's "only Nottingham Forest after all"? The mental gymnastics some people go through to downplay Bruno's ability is mad.
Either that or they seriously over-analyse to their own detriment.

But let's be real, it's an agenda...