Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Floyd

Doesn't like his Tagline played with
I actually thought Rojo was very good for argentina before and after we bought him, he is okay on the ball but that was a very defensive outfit and he was excellent at sitting deep.

If Mourinho comes in we will likely be a very defensive and deep outfit and he might be the preferred left back in a flatter back four, I think we would see the best of him
No way. Mourinho would absolutely love Shaw, he just can't be beaten defensively.

Dante

Average bang
Shaw as a centre-back who brings the ball out of defense and is impossible to beat on the counter. CBJ as a left-back who fires in the best crosses of anyone in the league.

I could see Mourinho setting up like that, especially as he likes to have his wingers drift into the box quite a bit. Our full-backs will need to be able to offer decent end-product and BoJack is better at that than Shaw. It would also balance out the squad, seeing as we have too many LBs and not enough CBs.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Shaw as a centre-back who brings the ball out of defense and is impossible to beat on the counter. CBJ as a left-back who fires in the best crosses of anyone in the league.

I could see Mourinho setting up like that, especially as he likes to have his wingers drift into the box quite a bit. Our full-backs will need to be able to offer decent end-product and BoJack is better at that than Shaw. It would also balance out the squad, seeing as we have too many LBs and not enough CBs.
Mourinho played Ashley Cole for years and his crossing / shooting was never anything special. Very similar qualities to Shaw in general in fact.

Dante

Average bang
Mourinho played Ashley Cole for years and his crossing / shooting was never anything special. Very similar qualities to Shaw in general in fact.
Cole was a very good crosser for a full-back. A lot better than Shaw has shown so far.

Bwuk

Shaws biggest asset is his pace and power running from deep. Why on earth would he be played at CB?

TwoSheds

Cole was a very good crosser for a full-back. A lot better than Shaw has shown so far.
Nah, he wasn't. Perhaps marginally better than Evra. He rarely got more than one or two assists a season the way I remember it, and yet he got forward to create space very well.

Red_Beans

How far along is CBJ? Physioroom has him off our injured list. Has he played a game for the reserves yet?

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
He's got to play instead of Rojo, he's been our best crosser of the ball this season and looked far more solid than Rojo who just never convinces me at LB.

Dobbs

He's got to play instead of Rojo, he's been our best crosser of the ball this season and looked far more solid than Rojo who just never convinces me at LB.
He's very tidy on the ball and has a sweet left foot but I'm still not sure he's a left back. Defensively I'd say Rojo is better in that position. Just not sure CBJ has the mobility and quick change of direction needed for LB.

As a centre back though I think he'd be better than Rojo.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
He's very tidy on the ball and has a sweet left foot but I'm still not sure he's a left back. Defensively I'd say Rojo is better in that position. Just not sure CBJ has the mobility and quick change of direction needed for LB.

I find Rojo more rash both positionally and in his passing though. Oddly CBJ has great maturity in his game in comparison.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Probably the best crosser of the ball among our fullbacks.

Spock

Agreed. I liked what I saw from Rojo early on and still think he's got a decent game of football in him but he's been poor for us for a while now and needs to be dropped in favor of Bo-Jack.

Like Angel, Marcos may just not like being a United man. I say cut the bait this summer. We're deep at left back anyway and I wouldn't trust him now at CB.

Dobbs

I find Rojo more rash both positionally and in his passing though. Oddly CBJ has great maturity in his game in comparison.
A non entity going forward but I think defensively Rojo has done well at LB.

CBJ has got that tall, lanky stature that I don't think suits fullback. Up against wingers I think you need that low centre of gravity to twist, turn etc.

Imagine his composure and ball playing at CB though. If he can add a bit of meat to his bones we could have a proper defender.

ChaddyP

I think he is the best option for left back at this time. hope he gets back to the first team

TwoSheds

Did very well against Chelsea I thought. Looked like he might have gained a bit of muscle.

Loublaze

ATLien

He's simply better than Rojo in every aspect of the game. Rojo has been a letdown. Jackson is way more composed and positionally sound than Rojo

Dobbs

He's simply better than Rojo in every aspect of the game. Rojo has been a letdown. Jackson is way more composed and positionally sound than Rojo
What's he played? Five or six full games? Simply nowhere near enough to start judging his positional and defensive ability.

Red_toad

What's he played? Five or six full games? Simply nowhere near enough to start judging his positional and defensive ability.
12 appearances & very few mistakes, in fact been consistently one of our better players in just about every games he's played. When a young player comes in and simply doesn't look out of place & performs exceptionally well & improved game on game. Then we can start to think he may actually be the real deal.
Is pretty easy to pick up on a defenders positional awareness, doesn't take a full season to see if a defender has awareness of what's going on around him. You can spot it everytime they come up against a top level player they mark.

Dobbs

12 appearances & very few mistakes, in fact been consistently one of our better players in just about every games he's played. When a young player comes in and simply doesn't look out of place & performs exceptionally well & improved game on game. Then we can start to think he may actually be the real deal.
Is pretty easy to pick up on a defenders positional awareness, doesn't take a full season to see if a defender has awareness of what's going on around him. You can spot it everytime they come up against a top level player they mark.
It is about six full games. They include Sheffield United, Derby, Bournemouth, Sunderland, Stoke and Chelsea.

I'm a big fan of the youth players but that's just not enough of a test for us to be declaring he's a better defender than Rojo. Not as a left back anyway where Rojo has been pretty solid.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
He's played 800 minutes which is almost 9 full games and Rojo hasn't been pretty solid at all. He is incredibly inconsistent at defending, and is completely absent of a brain on the ball.

Dobbs

He's played 800 minutes which is almost 9 full games and Rojo hasn't been pretty solid at all. He is incredibly inconsistent at defending, and is completely absent of a brain on the ball.
On the ball I agree, already stated that.

As a left back though he's defended pretty well. I know it's not fashionable to say so but it's true.

6 full games or 9 games worth of minutes, what's the difference given the context? Neither is enough to judge a young lad.

limerickcitykid

On the ball I agree, already stated that.

As a left back though he's defended pretty well. I know it's not fashionable to say so but it's true.

6 full games or 9 games worth of minutes, what's the difference given the context? Neither is enough to judge a young lad.
And he's meant to be a footballer, using the ball is pretty damn important. He was just completely rinsed by Deulofeu and has been average at best defensively. 6 and 9 completely different numbers so that is the difference. When is it enough to judge a young player? Is 1400 minutes enough to judge a shite one?

Dobbs

And he's meant to be a footballer, using the ball is pretty damn important. He was just completely rinsed by Deulofeu and has been average at best defensively. 6 and 9 completely different numbers so that is the difference. When is it enough to judge a young player? Is 1400 minutes enough to judge a shite one?
I think you're letting Rojo's performances at CB taint your opinion here. We're discussing defending as a left back.

There's not set time on when to judge a player but if a youngster shows promise a full season would be start. Not 6 or 9 games.

If he was to have four poor games presumably your opinion would swing the other way and he'd be declared not good enough?

That's the problem with making judgements based on very little game time. Your opinion will constantly be in flux.

limerickcitykid

I think you're letting Rojo's performances at CB taint your opinion here. We're discussing defending as a left back.

There's not set time on when to judge a player but if a youngster shows promise a full season would be start. Not 6 or 9 games.

If he was to have four poor games presumably your opinion would swing the other way and he'd be declared not good enough?

That's the problem with making judgements based on very little game time. Your opinion will constantly be in flux.
It wouldn't change because I've watched him put in impressive performances for the u18s, u19s, u21s, and now the first team. Having some poor games is the part of any young player but he has shown he is capable of good performances and has the potential to get even better. I'd much rather use CBJ and risk the occasional poor game than stick with Rojo who has proven to not be good enough and despite his experience still has runs of poor games. I'd rather it be a young player who is actually going to learn from those poor games than one who is brain dead and doesn't learn a thing.

I'm not letting his performances at CB taint anything because if anything, he is a better CB than LB. Since his return he has only played at LB, he has been rinsed by Deulofeu, rinsed by bloody Jesus Navas, he had Dawson looking like Roberto Carlos in comparison, he is caught up field and out position despite not actually offering an attacking threat. That isn't even getting into his biggest issue of just being a complete and utter idiot. He has absolutely no clue of whats going around him, no awareness, thinks he is fecking amazing on the ball despite being shite and regularly gives the ball away for no reason. At his best he can be a backup player but he is either injured or acting an eejit too often to even play at his best. Why on earth would you even want him as a backup over a young player who actually shows some potential and currently performs better anyway? He is as inconsistent as a young player without the upside.

ricky-romeo

true. with shaw still on his way back hopefully CBJ is back and should be our starting LB instead of rojo, or even darmian.

Dobbs

It wouldn't change because I've watched him put in impressive performances for the u18s, u19s, u21s, and now the first team. Having some poor games is the part of any young player but he has shown he is capable of good performances and has the potential to get even better. I'd much rather use CBJ and risk the occasional poor game than stick with Rojo who has proven to not be good enough and despite his experience still has runs of poor games. I'd rather it be a young player who is actually going to learn from those poor games than one who is brain dead and doesn't learn a thing.

I'm not letting his performances at CB taint anything because if anything, he is a better CB than LB. Since his return he has only played at LB, he has been rinsed by Deulofeu, rinsed by bloody Jesus Navas, he had Dawson looking like Roberto Carlos in comparison, he is caught up field and out position despite not actually offering an attacking threat. That isn't even getting into his biggest issue of just being a complete and utter idiot. He has absolutely no clue of whats going around him, no awareness, thinks he is fecking amazing on the ball despite being shite and regularly gives the ball away for no reason. At his best he can be a backup player but he is either injured or acting an eejit too often to even play at his best. Why on earth would you even want him as a backup over a young player who actually shows some potential and currently performs better anyway? He is as inconsistent as a young player without the upside.
I wouldn't want Rojo over CBJ, nowhere have I said that. I'd use CBJ because his ability on the ball is much better. He just hasn't had the game time or the tests to prove his defensive ability.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Promising homegrown talent > a confirmed average local/foreign talent. That's how I think

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Watching him run is more entertaining by itself than most of the 'football' we play these days.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
It is about six full games. They include Sheffield United, Derby, Bournemouth, Sunderland, Stoke and Chelsea.

I'm a big fan of the youth players but that's just not enough of a test for us to be declaring he's a better defender than Rojo. Not as a left back anyway where Rojo has been pretty solid.
Yeah but it could be argued that out attacking width hasn't been as good since he's been out the side. I understand you are thinking defensively, but I think his outlet going forward moots all else. It's great to have a player, who puts in early crosses. I think Rojo and Darmian lack that quality (thus far).

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Why on earth isn't he starting for us, seeing he played 2 games for the reserves? He is much better choice than Rojo who is terrible at the moment. So much about van Gaal trusting the youth, plays them only when he has no other choice.

limerickcitykid

Didn't prevent Ashley Young playing 45 minutes as a striker, or Jones being on the bench, or Rooney starting next game.
Rooney hasn't started anything yet. Ashley Young has done a lot more in his United career than CBJ so far. Jones wasn't on the bench. He has been fit for one game and left out, give it some time. There is no need to bitch about every single decision.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Rooney hasn't started anything yet. Ashley Young has done a lot more in his United career than CBJ so far. Jones wasn't on the bench. He has been fit for one game and left out, give it some time. There is no need to bitch about every single decision.
It is when we have Rojo playing ahead of him. Who will probably play again next game considering CBJ played tonight.

Ludens the Red

Rojo has been pretty solid ?
Marcos Rojo yeah?
The guy with tattoos and a stupid haircut ? He's been solid? Marcos rojo? Rojo? Marcos rojo has been solid ?

The moment cbj returned to full training he should have been in the squad.
Rojo has proven to be terrible since he walked into the club last July. Cbj played about 3 games and looked a vastly superior full back.

Dobbs

Rojo has been pretty solid ?
Marcos Rojo yeah?
The guy with tattoos and a stupid haircut ? He's been solid? Marcos rojo? Rojo? Marcos rojo has been solid ?

The moment cbj returned to full training he should have been in the squad.
Rojo has proven to be terrible since he walked into the club last July. Cbj played about 3 games and looked a vastly superior full back.
I'm not a big fan of Rojo or anything. I said earlier in this thread I'd rather have CBJ at left back.

The point I was making is that when a player falls out of favour with fans every mistake gets highlighted. For instance a poster in this thread pointed out that Deulofeu beat him a couple of times. As if that's proof of him being shit. I'd imagine Deulofeu could beat most fullbacks, including CBJ.

Terrible going forward but at left back he has been defensively ok during his time here. Reading this forum every defender at the club has been shit yet somehow we have the second best defensive record in the league. Something doesn't add up.

Status
Not open for further replies.