Chain Draft (Main Thread)

green_smiley

:lol:
Supports
#Justice4Wang!
Btw @Balu would be pleased. We have the first meltdown and banning of the draft.

He was banned due to the meltdown here, I presume. I didn't know the mods follows the draft threads.

Tbf, he did leave you two-thirds of the holy trinity behind and now with the likes of Vogts, Simonsen and Law you have my favourite team in the draft. If you pick that CM/AM next. My gawd :drool:
Agree

Last edited:

Moby

Dick
Just looking at Joga's team :

Nilton-Rivelino down the left.
Alberto - Jairzinho down the right.
Didi - Zito down the middle.

Sweet jesus.

diarm

Just looking at Joga's team :

Nilton-Rivelino down the left.
Alberto - Jairzinho down the right.
Didi - Zito down the middle.

Sweet jesus.
Yeah, the drafting has been great craic. I'm not so sure we need to play the matches... :nervous:

green_smiley

:lol:
Supports
#Justice4Wang!
Bump to this page

mazhar13
: 1. R. Falcao 2. di Bartolomei (Roma) 3. Tassotti (Milan) 4. Savicevic (Milan) 5. Jugovic (Red Star) 6. J. Zanetti (Inter) 7. R. Carlos (Inter) 8.
antohan: 1. Facchetti 2. Boninsegna (Inter) 3. Scirea (Juve) 4. Altafini (Juve) 5. L. Buffon (Milan) 6. Julio César Abbadie (Genoa) 7. O. Varela (Peñarol) 8.
MJJ (crappy): 1. Romario 2. Guardiola (Barca) 3. Figo (Barca) 4. Vieira (Inter) 5. Henry (Arsenal) 6. Deschamps (Juve) 7. Kohler (Juve) 8. Sammer (Dortmund)
Joga (Annah): 1. Didi 2. N. Santos (Botafogo) 3. J. Bauer (Botafogo) 4. M. Ramos (Sao Paulo) 5. Zito (Santos) 6. C. Alberto (Santos) 7. Rivelino (Fluminense) 8. Jairzinho (NT)
Cal?: 1. Ribery 2. Robben (Bayern) 3. Cannavaro (Real) 4. Zambrotta (Juve) 5. van der Sar (Juve) 6. Evra (United) 7. Pirlo (Juve) 8. Djorkaeff (Inter)
diarm: 1. R. Baggio 2. Tacconi (Juve) 3. Tardelli (Juve) 4. G. Baresi (Inter) 5. Klinsmann (Inter) 6. Campbell (Spurs) 7. Scholes (NT) 8. Cantona (United)
green_smiley: 1. Nordahl 2. Schiaffino (Milan) 3. Ghezzi (Milan) 4. Rivera (Milan) 5. Collovati (Milan) 6. Causio (Inter) 7. Cabrini (Juve) 8. Marocchi (Juve)
Cutch: 1. Passarella 2. Bergomi (Inter) 3. Bergkamp (Inter) 4. Davids (Ajax) 5. Vierchowod (Juve) 6. Conti (Roma) 7. P. Rossi (NT) 8. Evani (Milan)
bleezy: 1. M. Laudrup 2. Stoichkov (Barca) 3. Benarrivo (Parma) 4. Albertini (Padova) 5. Cafu (Milan) 6. Batistuta (Roma) 7. Ayala (NT) 8. Mendieta (Valencia)
Sjor Bepo: 1. Gento 2. Amancio Amaro (Real) 3. Netzer (Real) 4. Bonhof (Gladbach) 5. Schumacher (Koln) 6. Forster (NT) 7. Papin (Marseille) 8. Babbel (Bayern)
EAP: 1. Breitner 2. K. H. Rummenigge (Bayern) 3. Zenga (Inter) 4. Brehme (Inter) 5. Augenthaler (Bayern) 6. Effenberg (Bayern) 7. W Sagnol (Bayern) 8. Ballack (Bayern)
Skizzo (Pat): 1. J. Charles 2. O. Sivori (Juve) 3. Del Sol (Juve) 4. Santamaria (Real) 5. Pirri (Real) 6. Camacho (Real) 7. Chendo (Real) 8. Hierro (Real)
The Stain: 1. Robson 2. Giggs (United) 3. Stam (United) 4. Kaka (Milan) 5. Essien (Real) 6. A. Cole (Chelsea) 7. Beckham (NT) 8. Van Nistelrooy (United)
Pat_Mustard: 1. Sir B. Charlton 2. Law (United) 3. Rosato (Torino) 4. Schnellinger (Milan) 5. Zoff (Mantova) 6. Haller (Juventus) 7. Vogts (NT) 8. Simonsen (Gladbach)
Kazi: 1. S. Mazzola 2. Luisito Suarez (Inter) 3. Kocsis (Barcelona) 4. Bozsik (Honved) 5. Kincses (Kispest) 6. Boniperti (Juve) 7. Hamrin (Juve) 8. Lodetti (Milan)
Tuppet (VivaJ): 1. Van Hanegem 2. Gullit (Feyenoord) 3. Costacurta (Milan) 4. Nesta (Milan) 5. Nedved (Lazio) 6. Del Piero (Juve) 7. Peruzzi (Juve) 8. Reuter (Juve)

BLOCKED PLAYERS:

Puskas, Di Stefano, Edwards, Garrincha, Pele, Eusebio, Best, Beckenbauer, Gerd Müller, Cruyff, Neeskens, Zico, Platini, Boniek, Maradona, Matthäus, F. Baresi, Maldini, Rijkaard, van Basten, Desailly, L. Ronaldo, Redondo, Seedorf, Keane, Zidane, Thuram, Ronaldinho, C. Ronaldo, Iniesta, Xavi, Messi.

Moby

Dick
Was zito that good(to be in that company)? Have never heard of him before this draft.
Well, he was Didi's partner in that 58 WC winning team, so that's a proven combo, and he's usually seen as the best Brazilian DM of all time and one who held the fort alone during that era while the rest went on attack. But his proven partnership with Didi is the biggest plus here and makes him at home.

MJJ

Well, he was Didi's partner in that 58 WC winning team, so that's a proven combo, and he's usually seen as the best Brazilian DM of all time and one who held the fort alone during that era while the rest went on attack. But his proven partnership with Didi is the biggest plus here and makes him at home.
Ahh thanks, will look forward to reading joga's posts on him. Joga team has a lot of proven partnership so its easy to see how everything will work(if you are aware of the players :p) which is a huge plus.

Moby

Dick
Ahh thanks, will look forward to reading joga's posts on him. Joga team has a lot of proven partnership so its easy to see how everything will work(if you are aware of the players :p) which is a huge plus.
Indeed, they stayed true to the theme which is always nice to see.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
Btw @Balu would be pleased. We have the first meltdown and banning of the draft.

He was banned due to the meltdown here, I presume. I didn't know the mods follows the draft threads.
I already saw it yesterday, but surely just for that one bad word a permanent ban is a bit harsh? He even apologised afterwards, didn't he? I thought he probably went mental somewhere else on the Caf as well or had a history of things like that.

Tbf, he did leave you two-thirds of the holy trinity behind and now with the likes of Vogts, Simonsen and Law you have my favourite team in the draft. If you pick that CM/AM next. My gawd :drool:
It's my favourite team as well now. I thought EAP should have gone down that road when he started with Breitner, but then realised that Simonsen had played with Netzer for one season in 72/73, therefore the Breitner - Netzer - Vogts - Simonsen link wasn't possible and leaving Vogts behind made it a lot less interesting.

Still happy that someone found a way to go down that road and the path Simonsen opens up is incredible.

Moby

Dick
Pick 8: Víctor Rodríguez Andrade – “The Black Pearl”
(Two WC for Nation, i.e. resets the chain and restart ABC from here)​

The best right halfback in the world in the early 50s, or halfback full stop. He was a beast defensively and good going forward, while his uncle was the opposite. He has the pace and stamina to keep coming and going all game long, but his role here will largely revolve around keeping things tight at the back.

If you know little about him, I copy excerpts of an old writeup of mine below. The key thing though is how he fits with the flow of the story. He was part of the transition years and, as is usual in such periods, didn’t have as much to celebrate as players on either side. But his contribution wasn’t any less important in steadying the ship.

He was already past his peak but vastly experienced, which was what Peñarol was going to miss upon Obdulio’s retirement. After the 1954 World Cup he was joined by William Martínez, with whom he had formed a formidable partnership for the NT. William (who took over as Uruguay and Peñarol captain from Obdulio) was the best RCB in the club’s history and Víctor the best RB (more suited as a modern fullback than his uncle, and JL was spent by the time he joined us anyway). Different from other positions though, he was never properly replaced, which is part of the entertainment here, fantasizing about collapsing all the strong points of the different teams into one while eliminating their weaknesses.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Víctor was José Leandro Andrade's nephew. He idolised his uncle so much he insisted on being referred to using both his parents' surnames, otherwise he would have just been one of a million Rodríguez's. He played as a right halfback just like him, although he was stronger in defensive phases while somewhat less adventurous going forward. Not that he didn't do it, but he was far more defensively sound than anyone around so it was usually the case that if one of the two had to play a more conservative game he would be the one doing it.

That tactical discipline and submission to what the team needed was further demonstrated at the 1950 World Cup when, in the absence of good quality leftbacks and with a fair few good rightbacks around, it was Rodríguez Andrade who was deployed on the left with Juan Carlos González on the right and then Gambetta when he got injured against Spain.

With Zizinho starting on his side and Zizinho-to-Ademir being a proven devastatingly effective route to goal, things looked ominous. Within five minutes though, the entire issue was sorted. The first or second time Zizinho gets the ball Víctor puts in one of those skeleton-busting tackles which are honest but dare you to try what dishonesty could be like. Zizinho didn't want to, and was largely anonymous for most of the game. Ever since then it has been a tried and tested stratagem, culminating in 1986 when Batista forgot the honest part of it and got himself into the record books as the fastest sending off in WC history. To make it an even more spectacular fail, Gordon Strachan wasn't someone who would stop playing as a result.

Four years later, Rodríguez Andrade was one of the main stars in the side (which had by now got itself a leftback). I've never come across anyone who could unequivocally say one tourno was better than the other, lots of ifs and buts and largely "he was just amazing in both". One fact that adds to this is how the semifinal unravelled. Puskas watched it from the stands and concluded Rodríguez Andrade was the best he had ever seen in his position. Czibor had scored, yes, but he had done the best job on him he had ever seen. Unfortunately, late in the first half of ET Andrade suffers a muscle tear. That was the tipping point, for the remaining 15-20 minutes Czibor had the freedom of that flank and the Czibor-Kocsis highway reactivated. Within a few minutes Hungary doubled their goal tally and put paid to the game.

PS: Question, can anyone think of any other case of different-generation relatives winning the World Cup?​

Moby

Dick
mazhar13: 1. R. Falcao 2. di Bartolomei (Roma) 3. Tassotti (Milan) 4. Savicevic (Milan) 5. Jugovic (Red Star) 6. J. Zanetti (Inter) 7. R. Carlos (Inter) 8.
antohan: 1. Facchetti 2. Boninsegna (Inter) 3. Scirea (Juve) 4. Altafini (Juve) 5. L. Buffon (Milan) 6. Julio César Abbadie (Genoa) 7. O. Varela (Peñarol) 8. V. R. Andrade (NT)
MJJ (crappy): 1. Romario 2. Guardiola (Barca) 3. Figo (Barca) 4. Vieira (Inter) 5. Henry (Arsenal) 6. Deschamps (Juve) 7. Kohler (Juve) 8. Sammer (Dortmund)
Joga (Annah): 1. Didi 2. N. Santos (Botafogo) 3. J. Bauer (Botafogo) 4. M. Ramos (Sao Paulo) 5. Zito (Santos) 6. C. Alberto (Santos) 7. Rivelino (Fluminense) 8. Jairzinho (NT)
Cal?: 1. Ribery 2. Robben (Bayern) 3. Cannavaro (Real) 4. Zambrotta (Juve) 5. van der Sar (Juve) 6. Evra (United) 7. Pirlo (Juve) 8. Djorkaeff (Inter)
diarm: 1. R. Baggio 2. Tacconi (Juve) 3. Tardelli (Juve) 4. G. Baresi (Inter) 5. Klinsmann (Inter) 6. Campbell (Spurs) 7. Scholes (NT) 8. Cantona (United)
green_smiley: 1. Nordahl 2. Schiaffino (Milan) 3. Ghezzi (Milan) 4. Rivera (Milan) 5. Collovati (Milan) 6. Causio (Inter) 7. Cabrini (Juve) 8. Marocchi (Juve)
Cutch: 1. Passarella 2. Bergomi (Inter) 3. Bergkamp (Inter) 4. Davids (Ajax) 5. Vierchowod (Juve) 6. Conti (Roma) 7. P. Rossi (NT) 8. Evani (Milan)
bleezy: 1. M. Laudrup 2. Stoichkov (Barca) 3. Benarrivo (Parma) 4. Albertini (Padova) 5. Cafu (Milan) 6. Batistuta (Roma) 7. Ayala (NT) 8. Mendieta (Valencia)
Sjor Bepo: 1. Gento 2. Amancio Amaro (Real) 3. Netzer (Real) 4. Bonhof (Gladbach) 5. Schumacher (Koln) 6. Forster (NT) 7. Papin (Marseille) 8. Babbel (Bayern)
EAP: 1. Breitner 2. K. H. Rummenigge (Bayern) 3. Zenga (Inter) 4. Brehme (Inter) 5. Augenthaler (Bayern) 6. Effenberg (Bayern) 7. W Sagnol (Bayern) 8. Ballack (Bayern)
Skizzo (Pat): 1. J. Charles 2. O. Sivori (Juve) 3. Del Sol (Juve) 4. Santamaria (Real) 5. Pirri (Real) 6. Camacho (Real) 7. Chendo (Real) 8. Hierro (Real)
The Stain: 1. Robson 2. Giggs (United) 3. Stam (United) 4. Kaka (Milan) 5. Essien (Real) 6. A. Cole (Chelsea) 7. Beckham (NT) 8. Van Nistelrooy (United)
Pat_Mustard: 1. Sir B. Charlton 2. Law (United) 3. Rosato (Torino) 4. Schnellinger (Milan) 5. Zoff (Mantova) 6. Haller (Juventus) 7. Vogts (NT) 8. Simonsen (Gladbach)
Kazi: 1. S. Mazzola 2. Luisito Suarez (Inter) 3. Kocsis (Barcelona) 4. Bozsik (Honved) 5. Kincses (Kispest) 6. Boniperti (Juve) 7. Hamrin (Juve) 8. Lodetti (Milan)
Tuppet (VivaJ): 1. Van Hanegem 2. Gullit (Feyenoord) 3. Costacurta (Milan) 4. Nesta (Milan) 5. Nedved (Lazio) 6. Del Piero (Juve) 7. Peruzzi (Juve) 8. Reuter (Juve)

BLOCKED PLAYERS:

Puskas, Di Stefano, Edwards, Garrincha, Pele, Eusebio, Best, Beckenbauer, Gerd Müller, Cruyff, Neeskens, Zico, Platini, Boniek, Maradona, Matthäus, F. Baresi, Maldini, Rijkaard, van Basten, Desailly, L. Ronaldo, Redondo, Seedorf, Keane, Zidane, Thuram, Ronaldinho, C. Ronaldo, Iniesta, Xavi, Messi.

@mazhar13

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
Great partnerships too - Jairzinho - Carlos Alberto
It was a transcendental moment in football history that also illustrated the full extent of the type of player a right-back could be.

And we’re not talking the run and drive that rounded off both Brazil’s flowing move in the 1970 final as well as the tournament itself.

Rather, it was another famous moment from Mexico 1970. But an oft-forgotten part of it. Before Gordon Banks got down in impossible fashion, before Pele powered a header a goal and before Jairzinho found him in emphatic fashion, Carlos Alberto hit one of the most sumptuous passes ever seen.

Gambolling forward, the full-back hit an exquisite 40-yard ball with the outside of his right foot that fell perfectly into Jairzinho’s path.

It was that outrageous technique, allied to pure tenacity and intelligence, which made Carlos Alberto such an outstanding all-round defender. Not to mention the captain of the greatest international side of all time.

It was also some rise considering he had been left out of the Brazilian squad in 1966. But, then, such was Carlos Alberto’s reputation that it also caused a huge controversy in the country.

Immediate vindication came, however, as Brazil crashed out of 1966 in the first round amid a cacophony about poor planning.
And long-term vindication would come in 1970. Carlos Alberto finished the “perfect goal”. And proved himself the perfect right-back.

The Hurricane

In the perfect World Cup, Jairzinho had the perfect record. With seven goals in six games, the winger is the only player in tournament history to score in every match.

But, as with all of the true greats, that is much more than a mere stat.

For a start, there was the remarkable range of goals. Against Czechoslovakia, he expertly lifted the ball over the keeper before finishing and then later beat three players. Against England, he powered it over Gordon Banks first time. Against Romania, he flicked one in.

Secondly, there the was the all-round play that so improved Brazil’s overall game. While his pace did give them a potent outlet – and he spent hours with Gerson trying to perfect timed runs on the midfielder’s calibrated cross-field balls – his own superb passing also added to the side’s dazzling angles of attack.

It was Jairzinho’s exceptional at-pace cross, after all, that brought such a fine save from Banks for Pele’s header. And it was all the more remarkable given the manner in which he ran onto Carlos Alberto’s ball.

And Jairzinho was much more than the indulged, pacy forward who demands through-balls. In the final itself, he showed an under-acknowledged tactical acumen by continually moving into the centre to draw out Giacinto Facchetti and leave the right side free for Carlos Alberto to rampage down.

That peak was all the more impressive given that he had come back from two broken legs, injuries which arguably robbed his first club Botafogo of even more trophies.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
Rather, it was another famous moment from Mexico 1970. But an oft-forgotten part of it. Before Gordon Banks got down in impossible fashion, before Pele powered a header a goal and before Jairzinho found him in emphatic fashion, Carlos Alberto hit one of the most sumptuous passes ever seen.
My World Cup draft right wing :drool:. I have so many favourite teams in this draft, I guess I won't be voting in many games :lol:.

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
Was zito that good(to be in that company)? Have never heard of him before this draft.
You've never heard of him :(. He is regarded as the best Brazilian DM ever (no mean feat when you look at some of the DMs, they've had over the years). In fact you just have to watch Brazilians exclaim "He is no Zito", about one 1994 WC winning captain to understand what a player Zito truly was, given that the said player was no slouch himself and was quite the player. Zito wasn't just a destroyer, a one-man holding shield, a two-time WC winner or the captain of the greatest Brazilian club team ever which had Pele at it's helm. He was much more than that and was an individual of the highest quality. He was a fine footballer and could certainly play football and he did, but most importantly provided the balance and steel to the core of the 1958-1962 Brazilian vintage, providing them with the perfect platform to shine.

As integral were the likes of N.Santos, Pele, Garrincha and Didi to the exhilarating football that Brazil played, the likes of M.Ramos, RB, Zito and Bellini were equally important with their leadership qualities and balance -often criminally overlooked or neglected - that they provided. Just look at the 82 Brazilian vintage to see how important it is to have such men, and more importantly their mentalities, at the back providing the spine to any team for that matter.

Will do a more detailed write-up on him later on if I can.

It's my favourite team as well now. I thought EAP should have gone down that road when he started with Breitner, but then realised that Simonsen had played with Netzer for one season in 72/73, therefore the Breitner - Netzer - Vogts - Simonsen link wasn't possible and leaving Vogts behind made it a lot less interesting.

Still happy that someone found a way to go down that road and the path Simonsen opens up is incredible.
As far as I'm concerned it only leads to one player :).

Last edited:

diarm

Oh crap @mazhar13 really has fallen asleep hasn't he? We were going so well!
I should have offered to take his pick for him.

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
@Edgar Allan Pillow Do you mind if I can ask you a question right now regarding a certain pick?
Perhaps you could leave the query (with the pick) to one of the managers here and when EAP logs in, they can forward it to him and make the pick if he approves. Doesn't looks like he is going to be online any time soon.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
As far as I'm concerned it only leads to one player :).
Yeah, but that player leads to another :drool: and then it gets even better, well not better, but it continues in a fecking awesome way.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
Well, with @Skizzo taking Hierro away from me, I guess I'll have to take a completely different direction with my next few picks.

Next up is one of the greatest yet most unappreciated players to ever grace the sport. I believe it's the unappreciated part that gravitates me towards him very much, but then again, he did have that incident in the World Cup that really ruined his reputation.

Rivaldo

Up next is a great defender of his time. Having amassed over 550 appearances in his whole club career in three different countries and facing success in each of the countries he played in, he, like Rivaldo, was involved in controversy as he was banned after testing negative in a drugs test. However, don't worry about that, for his beautiful hair makes you forget about that incident instantly.

mazhar13: 1. R. Falcao 2. di Bartolomei (Roma) 3. Tassotti (Milan) 4. Savicevic (Milan) 5. Jugovic (Red Star) 6. J. Zanetti (Inter) 7. R. Carlos (Inter) 8. Rivaldo (Palmeiras) 9. Couto (Barcelona)
antohan: 1. Facchetti 2. Boninsegna (Inter) 3. Scirea (Juve) 4. Altafini (Juve) 5. L. Buffon (Milan) 6. Julio César Abbadie (Genoa) 7. O. Varela (Peñarol) 8. V. R. Andrade (NT)

BLOCKED PLAYERS:

@Aldo

Moby

Dick
Pick 9: Juan Eduardo Hohberg – “The Executioner” (Peñarol 1953-54)
The nationality card resets ABC chains, there’s no A here, thus him playing with Varela is irrelevant, EAP clarified it earlier in the thread)

Juan Hohberg, “El Verdugo (de Nacional)” because he had a knack of scoring in derbies, would have had plenty of reasons to have a chip on his shoulder. He watched on as all the other four in his Death Squad lifted the World Cup. When he finally had the chance to play for Uruguay he got all the papers in order pronto. He was in the form of his life and had raised the stakes for his teammates by averaging two goals per game.

But the NT manager was averse to starting him because… well… he was Argentinian. But did he feel left out or shunned? Nope, he was desperate to make a contribution in whichever way possible and prove himself. After all, he had lived in Uruguay since he was 2 or 3 years-old. And then his chance came…

That beautiful side that Gianni Brera held as the gold standard of football perfection was completely dismantled by the game against England. It was a 4-2 victory but we lost several key players to injury: Obdulio, Míguez (to this day Uruguay’s top scorer at World Cups), Abbadie, Ambrois and a midfielder I can’t remember. Hohberg was suddenly the only fit forward, and an inside right at that. Rather than slot into his usual spot next to Schiaffino (a modern AM of sorts) he had to spearhead the attack in a side that had been decimated and would have to play on the counter with Schiaffino having no real options other than pick out Hohberg’s movement. Grrrrreaaaatttt… :rolleyes:

And it all started very badly, with the Magyars swarming on the fragile on paper but combative side: 2-0 down with one half to play. The clock kept running as Hohberg kept making runs left, right and centre but Schiaffino couldn’t find him (the pitch was a muddy pit, in fairness)… until he did, Hohberg beat the offside trap and slotted past Grosics with 15 minutes to go.

They kept trying and, at the death, Hohberg runs onto another ball, dribbles sideways and Grosics or one of two backrushing defenders get a touch which places the ball behind him but he wasn’t to be denied: 2-2. And then one of the most incredible and least known episodes in World Cup history takes place: Hohberg, who was completely exhausted from his exertions goes off on an exhilarating run, his teammates catch up, tackle him, they all jump on him making a big heap of knackered bodies… And when they all stand up Hohberg isn’t responding.

They shake him, nothing. The NT medics run onto the pitch and check his vital signs, nothing. No breathing, no pulse, the victim of a heart attack be it from exhaustion, the adrenaline peak or the sudden end to it as he got squashed under all that deadweight. For 15 never-ending seconds the medics massaged his chest and got no response, then another administered coramine and they started getting a response. The medics worked for a while and then moved him next to the Hungarian goal, where they were goal-line witnesses of the way a last minute Schiaffino shot rolled agonizingly through the mud only to stop of its own accord on the line itself.

Hohberg probably saw it and felt that pain too, because by the start of ET he was on his feet and insisting he was playing on. So long as he could move or even just to occupy space, he was having none of leaving the pitch. Of course, he wasn’t as animated as before, but still managed to drag -what must have been some pretty shocked Hungarian defenders- around enough for Schiaffino to hit the post, twice.

And then Andrade got his muscle tear and had to leave the pitch, leaving 9 and a half dead player behind. He returned on one leg late in the 2H of ET but Kocsis wasn’t particularly charitable and had already scored twice, putting an end to Uruguay’s unbeaten record at World Cups. The nutter also played and scored in the third place game :houllier:

His story doesn’t end there though. He was one of the key bridges between the 1949 and 1960s team and a fan favourite throughout. Some of you probably remember how Peñarol fans raised funds to bring back their top scorer ever and how they were rewarded with a Libertadores and Intercontinental win.

Well, there was a precedent for that sort of fan campaigning and sponsoring of a signing. In 1958 he was involved in a plane crash, lost his wife and kids, and the club didn't renew his contract. In fairness, he didn't want to renew it either, he was just in a bad place to worry about football but some suspected it was about money. So the fans started a “Campaign for the Recovery of The Executioner" and raised funds to award him a contract and fund his wages, at which point the club couldn't refuse. The entire thing got Hohberg in good spirits after that show of support, so he decided to start playing again.

Two years later he helped deliver the inaugural Copa Libertadores, his crowning achievement.

Bizarro zone: in 1967 Peñarol organized an exhibition game against his last club to celebrate his career. The authorities didn’t allow him to play though: apparently the heart attack he had in 1954 could pose risks to his health if he engaged in a game of football. Never mind the twelve seasons before that, weirdos!

Moby

Dick
mazhar13: 1. R. Falcao 2. di Bartolomei (Roma) 3. Tassotti (Milan) 4. Savicevic (Milan) 5. Jugovic (Red Star) 6. J. Zanetti (Inter) 7. R. Carlos (Inter) 8. Rivaldo (Palmeiras) 9. Couto (Barcelona)
antohan: 1. Facchetti 2. Boninsegna (Inter) 3. Scirea (Juve) 4. Altafini (Juve) 5. L. Buffon (Milan) 6. Julio César Abbadie (Genoa) 7. O. Varela (Peñarol) 8. V. R. Andrade (NT) 9. Juan Eduardo Hohberg (Peñarol)

BLOCKED PLAYERS:

@MJJ @crappycraperson

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
antohan: 1. Facchetti 2. Boninsegna (Inter) 3. Scirea (Juve) 4. Altafini (Juve) 5. L. Buffon (Milan) 6. Julio César Abbadie (Genoa) 7. O. Varela (Peñarol) 8. V. R. Andrade (NT) 9. Juan Eduardo Hohberg (Peñarol)

BLOCKED PLAYERS:

@MJJ @crappycraperson
We are gonna take time with this one. So everyone else can chillax for a bit

Annahnomoss

Definitely. You must have heard Antohan rave on about him earlier? Zito and Didi were one of the greatest two men central midfields in history and in 1958 them dominating centrally was a defining factor to Brazils victory with Pele/Garrincha who were young lads and not part of the team the first two matches. "At the beginning of the '58 World Cup the Brazilians didn't have much spark, but after the players rebelled and convinced the coach to field the team they wanted, they were unstoppable. At that point five substitutes became starters, among them an unknown teenager named Pele, and Garrincha who was already quite famous in Brazil and had sparkled in the previous Cup. Garrincha had been left out this time because psychological testing showed him to have a weak mind." They listened to the leaders Bellini, Didi and Nilton Santos.

Zito and Didi provided protection enough to allow Brazil to play 4-2-4 while still assuring them have 5 clean sheets in a row in the '58 World Cup. Zito was the best right half in the '58-'62 World Cups and together they won two consecutive World Cups, the first and second one the country had ever won as well.

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2009/mar/27/joy-of-six-great-midfields

Rated as the best midfield ever there,
1) Brazil 1958-62 (Zagallo-Didi-Zito-Garrincha)

The only midfield to play in consecutive World Cup finals, never mind win them both. Next!

2) Manchester United 1998-2001 (Giggs-Scholes-Keane-Beckham

Last edited:

Annahnomoss

I already saw it yesterday, but surely just for that one bad word a permanent ban is a bit harsh? He even apologised afterwards, didn't he? I thought he probably went mental somewhere else on the Caf as well or had a history of things like that.

Wait who got banned? :(

EDIT: Berbasloth, sucks to see him banned and it can't have been for the one word, that'd be harsh as hell.