Chain Draft (Main Thread)

Skizzo

I imagine you are in the same place as me: I had a long boring weekend ahead and thought "well, this could provide a bit of fun". NOT.
It's worked in reverse because I've chained so many players together my eyes feel like bleeding... and I still have no idea if I can even get my first pick yet.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
I'll block Zico and Gerd Müller then.

@Joga Bonito, you are the only one left. Please tag @mazhar13 once you do as he picks first.
  1. Tuppet - Messi & Garrincha
  2. mazhar13 - Maldini & Matthäus
  3. diarm - Iniesta & Seedorf
  4. Stobzilla - Edwards & C. Ronaldo
  5. Sjor Bepo - Platini & Di Stefano
  6. Skizzo - Maradona & Thuram
  7. bleezy - Baresi & Desailly
  8. EAP - Pele & L. Ronaldo
  9. Joga Bonito -
  10. The Stain - Zidane & Beckenbauer
  11. antohan - Zico & Gerd Müller
  12. green_smiley - Rijkaard & van Basten
  13. MJJ - Cruyff & Xavi
  14. Kazi - Puskas & Eusebio
  15. Cutch - Keane & Best
  16. berbasloth4 - Redondo & Ronaldinho

antohan

BLOCKED PLAYERS
  1. Tuppet - Messi & Garrincha
  2. mazhar13 - Maldini & Matthäus
  3. diarm - Iniesta & Seedorf
  4. Stobzilla - Edwards & C. Ronaldo
  5. Sjor Bepo - Platini & Di Stefano
  6. Skizzo - Maradona & Thuram
  7. bleezy - Baresi & Desailly
  8. EAP - Pele & L. Ronaldo
  9. Joga Bonito - Neeskens & Boniek
  10. The Stain - Zidane & Beckenbauer
  11. antohan - Zico & Gerd Müller
  12. green_smiley - Rijkaard & van Basten
  13. MJJ - Cruyff & Xavi
  14. Kazi - Puskas & Eusebio
  15. Cutch - Keane & Best
  16. berbasloth4 - Redondo & Ronaldinho
@mazhar13 your turn to pick

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
I don't get this minimum 5 matches business. If you have to actually research the matter to the point where you can establish that A and B actually featured together in 5 matches, the number may as well be 15 - or 25. It's the practical difficulty of digging up evidence for older players which is the main problem here, surely.

If Ed wants you people to struggle with this particular aspect as part of the draft, then hey - I'm all for that. But it seems more likely it's just a fairly standard limitation. In which case it would be better to go with what anto suggests above (his second option, that is): Did they play at all in season X (not counting friendlies and whatnot)? If yes, then the combo is legit.

People could pick old time South American club players here - digging up records might be not difficult, but impossible.

antohan

Drafting order:
  1. mazhar13:
  2. antohan:
  3. MJJ:
  4. Joga Bonito:
  5. Stobzilla:
  6. diarm:
  7. green_smiley:
  8. Cutch:
  9. bleezy:
  10. Sjor Bepo:
  11. EAP:
  12. Skizzo:
  13. The Stain:
  14. berbasloth4:
  15. Kazi:
  16. Tuppet:
BLOCKED PLAYERS: Messi, Garrincha, Maldini, Matthäus, Iniesta, Seedorf, Edwards, C. Ronaldo, Platini, Di Stefano, Maradona, Thuram, Baresi, Desailly, Pele, L. Ronaldo, Neeskens, Boniek, Zidane, Beckenbauer, Zico, Gerd Müller, Rijkaard, van Basten, Cruyff, Xavi,Puskas, Eusebio, Keane, Best, Redondo & Ronaldinho

@mazhar13, use this

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!
im with chester, its going to be impossible to find if the players played xy number of matches together, specially for older players where i doubt there are match reports and lineups for league games.

diarm

OK I have my first pick decided and he's a magnificent bastard. None of ye feckbandits should steal him from me.

Explanatory Guide to '15 games/season' critiera

antohan

I block Boniek and Neeskens
:(

I don't get this minimum 5 matches business. If you have to actually research the matter to the point where you can establish that A and B actually featured together in 5 matches, the number may as well be 15 - or 25. It's the practical difficulty of digging up evidence for older players which is the main problem here, surely.

If Ed wants you people to struggle with this particular aspect as part of the draft, then hey - I'm all for that. But it seems more likely it's just a fairly standard limitation. In which case it would be better to go with what anto suggests above (his second option, that is): Did they play at all in season X (not counting friendlies and whatnot)? If yes, then the combo is legit.

People could pick old time South American club players here - digging up records might be not difficult, but impossible.
im with chester, its going to be impossible to find if the players played xy number of matches together, specially for older players where i doubt there are match reports and lineups for league games.
It says nowhere that they must have played together on the same day. I do agree with Chester that digging up appearances is nigh on impossible for some of the older players. My thinking there is that in the absence of stats there must be some form of proof that they were regulars.

If you have stats: 15 games minimum for each (not necessarily together).
If no stats: make bloody sure they were established players and you can prove it.

I did originally mention just having been in the squad was enough, but as I started researching found zillions of examples of Youth Players who went on to have cracking careers and make great links... except that they didn't start a single game for the team of one of those links. There are loads of retiring players also that appear on squads but didn't play at all, I suppose they were there just for the mentoring role.

That IMO goes against the spirit of the draft: players having actually played together or not, in a meaningful way. E.g. United's Paul P**** can feck right off being a link to a United player with his 3 games that he wasn't happy about.

antohan

OK I have my first pick decided and he's a magnificent bastard. None of ye feckbandits should steal him from me.
I'm picking him.

Don't you love how the lovely chain you put together got utterly destroyed by the blocks? Told ya!

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!
@antohan guess i didnt read it well, i thought they had to play together for xy number of times....

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
E.g. United's Paul P**** can feck right off being a link to a United player with his 3 games that he wasn't happy about.
That's a fair point, come to think of it. Would be a mockery of the game if he were picked - and he could be, if the rule is simply "featured for the first team in season X".

Yeah, I reckon what you propose above is a decent enough compromise of sorts - as it would indeed protect the spirit of the thing.

Also, didn't realize A and B didn't have to have featured together, on the pitch, for X matches. That makes it slightly less difficult to dig up proof - but still extremely difficult in some cases.

antohan

Also, didn't realize A and B didn't have to have featured together, on the pitch, for X matches. That makes it slightly less difficult to dig up proof - but still extremely difficult in some cases.
Aye, I actually had to drop a great 60s transatlantic link because I simply can't prove they played much at all together. I know they did play, just not how much (one retired that year, and it was the only season), so I dropped it.

With most oldies though what you'll find is they usually play several seasons together so there's no need to even check. One club men and all that...

diarm

I'm picking him.

Don't you love how the lovely chain you put together got utterly destroyed by the blocks? Told ya!
Yep. More than half of it gone and I thought I was picking around the block!

antohan

@Edgar Allan Pillow, regarding reinforcements, I assume they can only come from the discarded player pool? It's important as there are several cracking players which are very hard to get into a chain but would be very easy to link up with one of the five final picks. Also, it obviously impacts how you want to go about threading your chain.

If you ask me, discarded pool is more in line with the spirit of a constraint-based draft. It's way too easy to reinforce and turn out superteams otherwise, it's an All-Time draft after all.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
@Edgar Allan Pillow, regarding reinforcements, I assume they can only come from the discarded player pool? It's important as there are several cracking players which are very hard to get into a chain but would be very easy to link up with one of the five final picks. Also, it obviously impacts how you want to go about threading your chain.

If you ask me, discarded pool is more in line with the spirit of a constraint-based draft. It's way too easy to reinforce and turn out superteams otherwise, it's an All-Time draft after all.
I've been thinking about this quite a lot. Wanted to experiment with a open pool and this seems a perfect draft where you already have restrictions in place. I plan to drop it to final 2 players. Semi's reinforcements must be linked to the 2 reinforcements you picked for QF and Finals's reinforcements must be linked to the 2 reinforcements you picked for SF.

Have we had any drafts with open reinforcement pool yet? Just seeing how it works out. If bad, then we'll discard it in future totally!

antohan

I've been thinking about this quite a lot. Wanted to experiment with a open pool and this seems a perfect draft where you already have restrictions in place. I plan to drop it to final 2 players. Semi's reinforcements must be linked to the 2 reinforcements you picked for QF and Finals's reinforcements must be linked to the 2 reinforcements you picked for SF.

Have we had any drafts with open reinforcement pool yet? Just seeing how it works out. If bad, then we'll discard it in future totally!
Open pool reinforcements are a great copout to make up for bad drafting. Personally, I think anything that waters down drafting well to begin with is a crap idea.

That said, you are now making it way too restrictive for a closed pool and even in an open pool you are making the last two picks far too important.

Last five affecting the first reinforcement and no restriction thereafter was fair enough for a closed pool and way too generous in an open pool, which is why I asked.

Either way, make up your mind before mazhar picks as it's too important a rule to feck about with it after drafting starts.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
I'm away from home at the moment. I'll make my pick in 45 minutes - 1 hour.
Take your time. Your 1st pick will anyway ruin couple of others plans :D

Open pool reinforcements are a great copout to make up for bad drafting. Personally, I think anything that waters down drafting well to begin with is a crap idea.

That said, you are now making it way too restrictive for a closed pool and even in an open pool you are making the last two picks far too important.

Last five affecting the first reinforcement and no restriction thereafter was fair enough for a closed pool and way too generous in an open pool, which is why I asked.

Either way, make up your mind before mazhar picks as it's too important a rule to feck about with it after drafting starts.
Yeah, I know. I'll let the rule stand as it is. Let's see how this goes.

I like to experiment with my drafts and I'm OK if I have to count this as a miss.

Skizzo

If there's gonna be restrictions on the reinforcements, then thats fine, but like Anto said, let's get it narrowed down and finalized before we start making picks. It's not something we want to be ambiguous going forward.

So as of right now, any reinforcement pick has to have played with one of your last 5 picks? And it can be a picked, or unpicked player?

antohan

Yeah, I know. I'll let the rule stand as it is. Let's see how this goes.

I like to experiment with my drafts and I'm OK if I have to count this as a miss.
Open pool or discarded pool?

AFAIC, discarded pool is half the players in the game, 96 in total, there should be more than enough there to play with without the copout of picking up players that were too hard to pick up under the restrictions.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
any reinforcement pick has to have played with one of your last 5 picks? And it can be a picked, or unpicked player?
Yes.

Reinforcement for QF: Link to last 5 of R1.
Reinforcement for SF: Link to the 2 reinforcement picked in QF + last 3 of R1.
Reinforcement for Finals: Link to the 2 reinforcement picked in SF + 2 reinforcement picked in QF + last pick of R1.

The Stain

Soccer Manager's Highwayman
@Edgar Allan Pillow

Are you're sticking to both players need to have played 15 or changing it to only the player you're picking to have played 15? I'd rather the latter like the others that have chimed in but your the evil master and your wish is our command etc.

Skizzo

Can someone summarize what rule has changed? Mods eat shite

Reinforcement for QF: Link to last 5 of R1.
Reinforcement for SF: Link to the 2 reinforcement picked in QF + last 3 of R1.
Reinforcement for Finals: Link to the 2 reinforcement picked in SF + 2 reinforcement picked in QF + last pick of R1.

And club links just have to have each player making 15 appearances in same season, but doesn't need to be 15 appearances together.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Both players need to have played 15 games a specific season for a specific club. Need not have even played matches together. Just 15+ matches in a single season for the same club.
You should just copy/paste anto's suggestion above into the OP to kill any ambiguity regarding this. Essentially, 15 games in a specific season if this can be proven - and if it can't be proven specifically, the manager needs to demonstrate that the player was a regular (and not a youth player or a journeyman who hardly featured).

Will be interesting to see how the open reinforcement pool works out. You're right to experiment, I back you up on that. But the concerns voiced are valid in this instance. Linking up world beaters to your last five picks will be relatively easy unless I'm very much mistaken. We'll see how it all plays out, though.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout

Paulo Roberto Falcao
  1. mazhar13: P.R. Falcao
  2. antohan:
  3. MJJ:
  4. Joga Bonito:
  5. Stobzilla:
  6. diarm:
  7. green_smiley:
  8. Cutch:
  9. bleezy:
  10. Sjor Bepo:
  11. EAP:
  12. Skizzo:
  13. The Stain:
  14. berbasloth4:
  15. Kazi:
  16. Tuppet:
BLOCKED PLAYERS: Messi, Garrincha, Maldini, Matthäus, Iniesta, Seedorf, Edwards, C. Ronaldo, Platini, Di Stefano, Maradona, Thuram, Baresi, Desailly, Pele, L. Ronaldo, Neeskens, Boniek, Zidane, Beckenbauer, Zico, Gerd Müller, Rijkaard, van Basten, Cruyff, Xavi,Puskas, Eusebio, Keane, Best, Redondo & Ronaldinho

@antohan

antohan

Open.

Let me stick with my experimentation. If anyone can pick up a gem outside of the 224 picks originally done (or blocked), they are welcome to it!
You are not getting it. The problem is there will be loads of gems. I guarantee you at least 30% and up to 50% of the picks will be from outside the initial pool. It's just wrong.

I'll go along with it just fine though.

antohan

Paulo Roberto Falcao
  1. mazhar13: P.R. Falcao
  2. antohan:
  3. MJJ:
  4. Joga Bonito:
  5. Stobzilla:
  6. diarm:
  7. green_smiley:
  8. Cutch:
  9. bleezy:
  10. Sjor Bepo:
  11. EAP:
  12. Skizzo:
  13. The Stain:
  14. berbasloth4:
  15. Kazi:
  16. Tuppet:

@antohan
:lol: this is way too funny. Chain shot to pieces, I even blocked Zico to stop people using the nationality card to jump to him.

Cnut!

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
:lol: this is way too funny. Chain shot to pieces, I even blocked Zico to stop people using the nationality card to jump to him.

Cnut!
I thought that you'd go after someone else. There are quite a few other picks that are equally as good as P.R. Falcao, and I thought that you'd have gone after one of them, not Falcao, necessarily.

Nevertheless, I'm sure you'll be well-set in finding a nice pick.

antohan

@mazhar13, you've no idea how badly that hit me. Technically I shouldn't do this but I have waited all day to pick him and a few others so no way I'm switching.

I guess I may have to go for the copout card :(

I'll take the best leftback in the draft, by a mile.

GIACINTO FACCHETTI

mazhar13
: 1. P.R. Falcao
antohan: 1. FACCHETTI
MJJ:
Joga Bonito:
Stobzilla:
diarm:
green_smiley:
Cutch:
bleezy:
Sjor Bepo:
EAP:
Skizzo:
The Stain:
berbasloth4:
Kazi:
Tuppet:

@MJJ