g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Champions League Round of 16 (14th Feb - 15th Mar)

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Yeah cos Pep has never been outwitted in the CL... Him and Wenger are not tactically savvy enough, Pep just plays his own game every time even if it costs his team while Wenger might make adjustments but the wrong ones.

Mourinho, Conte and Klopp can be tactically strong enough to get far in the CL and have proven so already (Wenger went to a final as well but that was 11 years ago), maybe Poch as well.
Look I don't want to be dragged to endless discussions, but Guardiola is an top level coach, Wenger no, if you agree, fine, if not I respect your opinion as you should respect mine.

By the way if you are an Liverpool fan, I am not saying nothing bad against Klopp, it is just the fact that Liverpool needs much more investment than the other teams.

Ah, and like or not, Pep record in the Champions - won 2 finals with Barcelona, 2 semifinals, and with Bayern 3 semifinals, if that is being naive, ok that semifinal against Madrid in 2014 was bad, but Mourinho also failed at Chelsea and Madrid, and for me he always was better than Wenger, ever.

Giggs86

I didn't mean we didn't deserve to lose, but the whole situation.
I guess that's what you get for sticking with Wenger for so long. Not you personally obviously but the club as a whole.

I'd be furious if I was an Arsenal fan for sticking with a loser who's taking pride in finishing fourth season after season. And that mentality is embeded in the players now, which results in displays like today.

He's an embarrassment and if he'd had any pride left he would've resigned years ago.

Theonas

Scout
Yeah cos Pep has never been outwitted in the CL... Him and Wenger are not tactically savvy enough, Pep just plays his own game every time even if it costs his team while Wenger might make adjustments but the wrong ones.

Mourinho, Conte and Klopp can be tactically strong enough to get far in the CL and have proven so already (Wenger went to a final as well but that was 11 years ago), maybe Poch as well.
You are confusing tactical nous with footballing principles. Pep and Wenger like many before them do have indeed a staunch in belief in that football needs to be played a certain way. That is not the same however as not having your team drilled tactically. Pep's Barcelona is one of the most tactically advanced units in modern football. Setting up a team defensively does not make you astute tactically by itself and vice versa.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
You are confusing tactical nous with footballing principles. Pep and Guardiola like many before them do have indeed a staunch in belief in that football needs to be played a certain way. That is not the same however as not having your team drilled tactically. Pep's Barcelona is one of the most tactically advanced units in modern football. Setting up a team defensively does not make you astute tactically by itself and vice versa.
:smirk:

AltiUn

Hope if we get CL football this isn't what we become, may be unrealistic but I really would like to see us putting a real shift in and going to win it any season we're in it, if we don't then what's the point?

King Eric 7

At least they topped their group this year - progress.
Wenger should be given as long as he needs to produce a CL winning team :)

Theonas

Scout
Hope if we get CL football this isn't what we become, may be unrealistic but I really would like to see us putting a real shift in and going to win it any season we're in it, if we don't then what's the point?
Arsenal are literally the only top club that does this. People should stop treating their failure as some sort of example of a wider issue. Dortmund, Atlético Madrid, Chelsea, Juventus and even City have done better. Arsenal are the very definition of an anomaly among the big clubs and their CL performances.

Santi_Mesut_Alexis_87

Supports
Arsenal
I guess that's what you get for sticking with Wenger for so long. Not you personally obviously but the club as a whole.

I'd be furious if I was an Arsenal fan for sticking with a loser who's taking pride in finishing fourth season after season. And that mentality is embeded in the players now, which results in displays like today.

He's an embarrassment and if he'd had any pride left he would've resigned years ago.
He only conceded a 2 minutes post-match conference today. I just hope he has finally realized his time has come.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Look I don't want to be dragged to endless discussions, but Guardiola is an top level coach, Wenger no, if you agree, fine, if not I respect your opinion as you should respect mine.

By the way if you are an Liverpool fan, I am not saying nothing bad against Klopp, it is just the fact that Liverpool needs much more investment than the other teams.

Ah, and like or not, Pep record in the Champions - won 2 finals with Barcelona, 2 semifinals, and with Bayern 3 semifinals, if that is being naive, ok that semifinal against Madrid in 2014 was bad, but Mourinho also failed at Chelsea and Madrid, and for me he always was better than Wenger, ever.
Fully agreed with both bolded parts mate, you're spot on right there. I just can't see Pep winning the CL with this City squad, and I haven't forgotten the games in which he played a suicidal high line while he should have known it wouldn't work. His Bayern side was top class but a top 3 team in the world with a top 3 coach in the world should reach the CL final at least once in three years. Mourinho would never be outcoached like Pep has been on several occassions imo.

With regards to Wenger, the fact that tonight's results isn't a surprise to some people (to me neither) says a lot - he has to work with a far inferior squad than Ancelotti (just look at Bayern's bench for this game) but you just know he wouldn't be able to cope with Bayern, like Arsenal never can these last few years. That's why I can't see them going far again in the CL under Wenger while I still hold some hope that Klopp can bring us far if he gets enough time to form his own squad, of course we're still lightyears away from that right now, I realize that and have no problem to admit that.

AltiUn

Arsenal are literally the only top club that does this. People should stop treating their failure as some sort of example of a wider issue. Dortmund, Atlético Madrid, Chelsea, Juventus and even City have done better. Arsenal are the very definition of an anomaly among the big clubs and their CL performances.
I don't mean it as a wider issue, I just genuinely mean I hope we don't become like Arsenal and in fairness other English teams have been guilty of resting players in CL games to focus on the league, Liverpool and Tottenham for example.

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
Yeah, no eye contact, no real response, really showed his age, kinda sad to see to be honest, I know he is a stubborn man but his players really let him down a lot too
Yea. That is sad. I could never hate Wenger, he's a gent - what a great old school loyal club man- so many great players he brought along - that team with Bergkamp ... oh yes RTE 2 showed the end of the conference- yep he is gone

Minimalist

Just watching the highlights: how is that a penalty for Arsenal? Real lack of common sense I think.

saivet

Just watched the Dortmund highlight. My gosh they missed a truckload of chances, especially Aubamayang

Theonas

Scout
Yea. That is sad. I could never hate Wenger, he's a gent - what a great old school loyal club man- so many great players he brought along - that team with Bergkamp ... oh yes RTE 2 showed the end of the conference- yep he is gone
I feel exactly the same. Arsenal definitely need to change but I just can't hate or being overly critical of the man. He was a visionary and did so much for English football and football in general, something very few can claim. He needs to understand however that he is not moving Arsenal forward anymore.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
As for Inter, that depends on how far you stretch the definition, they were not outsiders but they were not ahead of Barcelona or Man United or even Bayern in terms of their standing at the time.
They were clearly ahead of bayern, behind barcelona(clear favourites) and real madrid, and on the same level as chelsea and man united

Theonas

Scout
They were clearly ahead of bayern, behind barcelona(clear favourites) and real madrid, and on the same level as chelsea and man united
Real Madrid? I am sorry mate but at that point, they hadn't gone past the last 16 in a very long time. Real did not start to have a strong European pedigree until 2010/2011 when they reached their first semi in ages. I am not sure how you can classify them as ahead of us, Bayern, Chelsea and more puzzlingly, how do you put them on the same category as a team who back then, have been dominating Europe. In any case, I am not sure for as to why we are having this argument. My initial argument was that being one of Europe's best has not gone hand in hand with winning the CL as evidence shows through about third of the winners of the competition. How exactly do we consider Inter's standing does not really make a great difference to this argument.

fcbforever

Supports
FC Bayern München
Real Madrid? I am sorry mate but at that point, they hadn't gone past the last 16 in a very long time. Real did not start to have a strong European pedigree until 2010/2011 when they reached their first semi in ages. I am not sure how you can classify them as ahead of us, Bayern, Chelsea and more puzzlingly, how do you put them on the same category as a team who back then, have been dominating Europe. In any case, I am not sure for as to why we are having this argument. My initial argument was that being one of Europe's best has not gone hand in hand with winning the CL as evidence shows through about third of the winners of the competition. How exactly do we consider Inter's standing does not really make a great difference to this argument.
I agree with him. Good team, prime Mourinho.
And have you seen the teams we played back then? Tymoshuk, Olic, Van Buyten, Denichelis and Van Bommel were regulars...Butt was our goalkeeper

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Real Madrid? I am sorry mate but at that point, they hadn't gone past the last 16 in a very long time.
We'd just bought cristiano and kaka. On paper, at the start of the season, we were supposed to be the best or second best team in the world, and we were certainly the second favourites to win CL(according to the bookies). Inter were 4th or 5th

But yeah, i agree with you, you don't need to be the best to win the CL. Though generally, you do need to be great. Liverpool and Chelsea were big exceptions, and they did it purely on karma

Theonas

Scout
We'd just bought cristiano and kaka. On paper, at the start of the season, we were supposed to be the best or second best team in the world, and we were certainly the second favourites to win CL(according to the bookies). Inter were 4th or 5th

But yeah, i agree with you, you don't need to be the best to win the CL. Though generally, you do need to be great. Liverpool and Chelsea were big exceptions, and they did it purely on karma
I know that mate, we were shall we say, directly affected by that transfer :lol:. Anyway, I honestly did not think you were the second best team in the world at that time. I just find it ridiculous to classify one as such without considering the very recent past as I think continuity and experience are simply too essential. We were looking at a team that was losing consistently to the likes of Lyon, one that did not win their league title for quite some time and to me, the addition of whoever was not going to change that overnight when you consider that there are other top teams around. I mean it was clear they were going to put an end to that disappointing run but I wouldn't go as far as put them on the same level as the team that had equally if not better players PLUS a much higher European pedigree at the time.

All in all, that was the central argument which you seem to agree with. If the best team won the European Cup every year, Barcelona would have had moer than they already did over the past few years. For once, no team would ever win the CL without winning their own league title if that was the case for example. You need to have a decent team though which I think one can say about at least half a dozen teams every year.

JustFootballFan

Thinks Balotelli & Pogba look the same
Supports
Liverpool
He wanted to experience what it is like to win something. The fact that nobody from the team gave him a hint or the other players even bothered says a lot more about the team. I bet when he came out of the shower into the parking lot, he also tried to climb on the Bayern bus, because the other bus had already left without him.