Champions League Round of 16 (14th Feb - 15th Mar)

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
I don't get Jardim. He was a defensive minded manager earlier in his career and even at the beginning at Monaco, then one season he decided to change and turn them into a full blown ultra attacking unit. Finding the middle ground could be useful but it's not like they've been doing badly this season. A team from Ligue 1 on a relatively small budget compared to European giants does well to qualify from a tough CL group anyway.

I think they will beat City at home, I am only not sure if it's going to be by 2 goals. This is why it's a shame Falcao did not convert that chance at 5-3 or put them 3-1 up with a penalty.

Zoo

Fabinho has never missed a penalty. Think that chance to go 3-1 up will prove to be critical in this tie.

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
Decided to take my first trip to the Emptihad since moving back to Manchester. It cost me about £4.38 a goal so no complaints on my end. Cracking game, terrible fans.

ti vu

At 4-3 you would fancy them but the balance of power is with City now.
On theory, that how it looks, but then you have to take in Pep's away record in CL. Question mark on City performance attacking wise, let alone their unreliable defense. Monaco can score 3 away, then I can't see any problem for them to repeat similar figure at home.

City was only luckier to get the result. Performance wise even during the collapse phase, Monaco was arguably still on equal term with this City team. At times, Monaco was comfortable cruising.

Last edited:

Newman123

Supports
Arsenal
I think Monaco have blown it. I can't see them winning by two clear goals. City on that showing, will be out in the next round.
Am I missing something? I thought that away goals counted as 2 home goals?

So wouldn't Monaco only need a 1-0 win?

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days

No, not quite. Away goals count for more but only if the aggregate is tied.

Theonas

Scout

That is only the case if the two teams tie on aggregate. A better easier way to look at it is in the event of a tie on aggregate, the winner is whoever scores more away from home.

MadMike

People asking about away goals rules and offside rules today, what's going on? Mass amnesia? :lol:

Mike Oxard

Supports
City
I saw most of this game and if I could watch that week in, week out, I'd happily pay for a ticket. There was plenty of clown defending from both sides, but they both had the 'we'll outscore you' attitude that we used to have. I'd say that both of these sides are a couple of signings away from being real challengers (defenders, obviously).

Francoruud

Supports
Chelsea
Entertaining match obviously but I can't see how anyone would say "this is one of the best CL matches in recent memory". Have people lose their minds? Both Aguero goals, Falcao's first (arguably even his second) and Sterling's goal would never have happened if the defenders (and the Monaco GK) on both sides weren't utter shit. Laughable defending.

Have to say Falcao's second was world class finishing though. Measured Cabalero's height at 6'5 and measured the highest point he could stretch to and still managed to chip it over him from close range. Did Monaco loan Falcao out and keep the user's manual back for themselves? Chelsea and United should sue.

ti vu

Entertaining match obviously but I can't see how anyone would say "this is one of the best CL matches in recent memory". Have people lose their minds? Both Aguero goals, Falcao's first (arguably even his second) and Sterling's goal would never have happened if the defenders (and the Monaco GK) on both sides weren't utter shit. Laughable defending.

Have to say Falcao's second was world class finishing though. Measured Cabalero's height at 6'5 and measured the highest point he could stretch to and still managed to chip it over him from close range. Did Monaco loan Falcao out and keep the user's manual back for themselves? Chelsea and United should sue.
Monaco ripped both English clubs and got their money while we helped him with the rehabilitation for a serious injury. Now he's back in good shape they reap the result. Basically we both paid for an unfit player while Monaco got all the creme... :mad:

Agree. Entertaining game yes. Best quality no way.

ti vu

Is Sterling goal offside though? Arguably ahead of Sane by overrunning, when Sane squared the ball in.

Ronaldo's Mum Eh?

Ronaldo is shite
Hold on a sec, you guys wanted City to lose?

Why? We don't need yet another team only fighting for the league. We need them to go deep and then lose, which would be the best possible scenario. We already have Liverpool and Arsenal only vying for 4th, and potentially Tottenham... we don't need any more teams with so much rest and concentration on 4th!

ti vu

Why? We don't need yet another team only fighting for the league. We need them to go deep and then lose, which would be the best possible scenario. We already have Liverpool and Arsenal only vying for 4th, and potentially Tottenham... we don't need any more teams with so much rest and concentration on 4th!
Football is unpredictable in that if City happen to get through the next round, they may get a morale boost. City is a team whose performance is more mood based so it's better than to disrupt their momentum with negativity. On their day, they can beat even Barcelona at home & dominated teams... Tottenham, L'pool are ones who have problem with squad depth/ bench quality which is more likely struggle with more games. Arsenal being Arsenal, so they likely recover in March and toward end of season, so we next few league games are crucial to get past them when they have their February melt down.

Last edited:

saivet

Decided to take my first trip to the Emptihad since moving back to Manchester. It cost me about £4.38 a goal so no complaints on my end. Cracking game, terrible fans.
Me and my uni mates were waiting for the draw and when City got Monaco, we just turned our noses at it. Said they were defensive and no point going up to see that. Oh how we were wrong.

FCBarca

Mes que un Rag
Supports
Peace
Me and my uni mates were waiting for the draw and when City got Monaco, we just turned our noses at it. Said they were defensive and no point going up to see that. Oh how we were wrong.
Meet Leonardo Jardim, one of the bright young footballing minds

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Im pretty sure that should still be offside.

Mane is technically in an offside position because there's only the keeper between him and the goal. It doesn't matter if he's behind Aguero, because Aguero plays the ball forward, not backwards.
You're getting a little confused. You have to be BEHIND the goalkeeper to be offside.

Thunderhead

Supports
City
Goalkeeper is irrelevant - it's two players, one usually is the goalkeeper but doesn't have to be, could be 2 defenders.
yep, and you have to be closer to the opposing goal line than the ball when it's played to be offside, so if you're behind the ball you won't be flagged offside even if you're nearer to the goal line than any opposing players including the 'keeper as long as you're level or behind the ball when it's played, it's not a difficult law to understand.

Same with throw in, corner or goal kick, you can't be offside if you're the receiving player.

diarm

Apparently there's a fella on Blue Moon claiming our PR department is leaking this Rooney news to deflect attention from them winning the European game of the season last night.

Because United want to deflect from the fact City conceded 3 goals at home to a French side :lol:

RedMaestro

Apparently there's a fella on Blue Moon claiming our PR department is leaking this Rooney news to deflect attention from them winning the European game of the season last night.

Because United want to deflect from the fact City conceded 3 goals at home to a French side :lol:
How can any team be proud of last nights match? Mistakes after mistakes were made in that match... :confused:

namco

I know some may find this laughable but the longer they stay in it the more chance they have to win it. You have to remember that it's not always the best side that wins the competition. All it takes is some dodgy decisions to go their way or a big team have an off day. They have already been allowed to buy the PL. It would be especially galling if they were allowed to do the same with the CL.

M18CTID

Supports
Manchester City
How can any team be proud of last nights match? Mistakes after mistakes were made in that match... :confused:
Yeah, I'm sure if that was United beating Monaco 5-3 last night after going 3-2 down there wouldn't be any reds creaming their pants about it would there?:nono: Personally, any United fan that wouldn't have been excited about winning a match like that would be nothing short of a weirdo IMO.

Regardless of how shite both defences were, that was one of the most entertaining football matches I've ever witnessed. Or maybe as a fan I should've been more "proud" of a 0-0 bore fest where both teams cancelled each other out eh?:confused:

M18CTID

Supports
Manchester City
I know some may find this laughable but the longer they stay in it the more chance they have to win it. You have to remember that it's not always the best side that wins the competition. All it takes is some dodgy decisions to go their way or a big team have an off day. They have already been allowed to buy the PL. It would be especially galling if they were allowed to do the same with the CL.
To be honest, I hope City buy everything in sight - including your mum's laptop. That way, we wouldn't have to put up with any more of your insane obsessive rantings about all things City.

When does half-term finish by the way?

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
Regardless of how shite both defences were, that was one of the most entertaining football matches I've ever witnessed. Or maybe as a fan I should've been more "proud" of a 0-0 bore fest where both teams cancelled each other out eh?:confused:
I am pretty sure most City fans would take a 0-0 bore fest in Monaco with both hands though... such sh*t defending makes every match a lottery and you generally go broke playing lottery sistematically

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Pretty much is mate

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
To be honest, I hope City buy everything in sight - including your mum's laptop. That way, we wouldn't have to put up with any more of your insane obsessive rantings about all things City.

When does half-term finish by the way?
Ask John Stones, he plays like a schoolboy

M18CTID

Supports
Manchester City
I am pretty sure most City fans would take a 0-0 bore fest in Monaco with both hands though... such sh*t defending makes every match a lottery and you generally go broke playing lottery sistematically
Course we would mate, but I'm talking about the home game and 0-0 at home isn't as good as 5-3 is it? That said, we could easily lose by 3 or 4 goals over there as Monaco are deadly going forward