g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });
Chris Smalling image 12

Chris Smalling England flag

2015-16 Performances

View full 2015-16 profile

6.3 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Santiago_KinderBueno

Santiago Kinder Bannedo
Can people see yet that the guys is passing the ball much better? We are a premier league team and we cannot have complete ball playing defenders everywhere.

In that problem; smalling arrives as the best you can get when adding collosul strength and a decent ability to find a pass.

bugmat

Yeah absolutely. Though that could've been because of Rio/Vidic? And our struggles to find a decent, fit, right back?
Fergie always did taht to give squad players games, especially young ones. He did it with Fletcher, Evans, O'Shea. even Wes Brown became a RB through playing out of position.

I've always rated Smalling above Jones so it's good to see he's proving it by most importantly staying fit and getting the game time he needed to keep developing.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Fergie always did taht to give squad players games, especially young ones. He did it with Fletcher, Evans, O'Shea. even Wes Brown became a RB through playing out of position.

I've always rated Smalling above Jones so it's good to see he's proving it by most importantly staying fit and getting the game time he needed to keep developing.
Yeah. agreed with that.

Sparky Rhiwabon

Amazing how far he's come in the last 12 months. If Jones could achieve a similar improvement our central defence would be sorted for years

VanGaalEra

Amazing how far he's come in the last 12 months. If Jones could achieve a similar improvement our central defence would be sorted for years
Touch wood, it's because Smalling has managed to stay fit for the past 6 months. I'm sure if Jones managed to stay fit for an increased period of time, you'd also see improvements in his game.

Getsme

In fairness to the lad he had been superb this season, if he can maintain his form and find a decent partner then we have the makings of a solid back four.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Needs to stay fit, I'm sure he can improve if he does.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
He is the meat in a Smalling - Shaw sandwich, he basically has nothing to do.
To an extent I actually agree with you and I'm fully in favour of him playing there.

The way I look at it is that we play a system that is in essence 3 defenders at the back. The way we set up to accommodate that is Darmian naturally covering inside for Smalling who operates as our only genuine centre back and covers Blind's space. Blind has the permission to carry the ball out and also the responsibility to cover Shaw who has license to press forward.

So as a unit we cover from right to left with Darmian, Smalling and then generally speaking either Blind or Shaw in the back line. The reason we can do this confidently is because of the cover provided by our 6, be it Schneiderlin or Carrick.

As a unit it's excellent and works very well and would be appreciated more if the front 4 were operating as well, with more dynamism and actually putting away chances.

FC Ronaldo

Posts stuff that's been said before in tweet form
Player of the month nomination. Fully deserved.

prath92

I doubt they will give it to a defender though. Gomis or someone will get it. Is he the only defender nominated? Who is our last winner by the way ?

SirAF

Ageist
I doubt they will give it to a defender though. Gomis or someone will get it. Is he the only defender nominated? Who is our last winner by the way ?
Probably de Gea at one stage last season.

Cassidy

I expect Mahrez will win it, but its good that Smalling has been nominated, hope he keeps it up. Looks like he can stake a claim to be the no1 English CB

Cassidy

To an extent I actually agree with you and I'm fully in favour of him playing there.

The way I look at it is that we play a system that is in essence 3 defenders at the back. The way we set up to accommodate that is Darmian naturally covering inside for Smalling who operates as our only genuine centre back and covers Blind's space. Blind has the permission to carry the ball out and also the responsibility to cover Shaw who has license to press forward.

So as a unit we cover from right to left with Darmian, Smalling and then generally speaking either Blind or Shaw in the back line. The reason we can do this confidently is because of the cover provided by our 6, be it Schneiderlin or Carrick.

As a unit it's excellent and works very well and would be appreciated more if the front 4 were operating as well, with more dynamism and actually putting away chances.
This is the key for me, for all the we don't create enough bollocks, I have seen so many chances fluffed.

sizzling sausages

Thinks TBP is a soft tagline whore
Scout
But he's only been good for half a season!

Obviously stats aren't everything but this highlights that he's had two full seasons of good performances now. Even the other seasons weren't bad, he just didn't play that often and a lot of his games came at RB.

Raw

Smalling showed a lot of promise even in his first season. I think it was that 2-1 win v City with THAT Rooney goal where Smalling just dominated Tevez all game. Did annoy me when fans were screaming for him to get sold because of his performances at RB and his injury worries, I'm so glad we kept him.

wr8_utd

:'(
He had very good performances under Fergie as well. He's been immense since the City game last year.

NoPace

In fairness to the lad he had been superb this season, if he can maintain his form and find a decent partner then we have the makings of a solid back four.
---------Schneiderlin-----------
Shaw--LCB--Smalling-Darmian
-----------De Gea--------------

Looks very defensively solid and athletic, too.

We probably should have just paid for Otamendi or another good CB and tried to win every game 1-0 this year with our variation on parking the bus where we always have the ball.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Captain Chris can't be stopped

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Captain Chris can't be stopped
My local paper always has reports on craft shows at near by village halls and the awards they hand out are clearly made up on the spot just to make sure anyone who turned up gets a trophy or certificate. "Best floral display without the use of an orange flower" or "best painting by a left handed female in the 54-57 age category".

I'm pretty sure the same thing is happening here.

Spielmacher

My local paper always has reports on craft shows at near by village halls and the awards they hand out are clearly made up on the spot just to make sure anyone who turned up gets a trophy or certificate. "Best floral display without the use of an orange flower" or "best painting by a left handed female in the 54-57 age category".

I'm pretty sure the same thing is happening here.
I'm pretty sure you've never heard of the Guiness World records book then, what do you think how they are able to fill that much pages? There's a whole lot of bullshit in there, and Chris certainly doesn't top that list.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
He's bloody mega. Shame about that super freak goal, him and Blind emasculated Benteke for most of the game.

NoPace

Can people see yet that the guys is passing the ball much better? We are a premier league team and we cannot have complete ball playing defenders everywhere.

In that problem; smalling arrives as the best you can get when adding collosul strength and a decent ability to find a pass.
I love Smalling, but it is possible. Chelsea did it with Carvalho and Terry.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
He seems to be permanently stuck in beast mode.

Status
Not open for further replies.