Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

wiz4231

How many mistakes he made last season.

Anyhow I might be in a minority but wasn't he at fault a bit for 2nd goal, he let Gomis run behind him and just watched the pass to him.
The keeper was coming for the ball and IMO he left it for him but, oh well

Robbie Boy

In terms of he season I'd add darmian to them... All 3 have been great. The best in the league in their positions, or will prove to be if this is too small of a sample size.
Yep in the positives thread I named all 3. Darmian is a bit behind the other two though. All three have been pretty fantastic.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Yet another peerless defensive performance from Smalling, I can't see how anyone can question his ability now, he's an absolute rock.

FC Ronaldo

Posts stuff that's been said before in tweet form
Always backed him to come good and turn into a top class defender. So pleased with this form and finally putting the "Phil Jones is better" brigade firmly in there cages.

He has everything in his locker. We just need to wrap him in cotton wool in between games.

dustfingers

Supports
MMC
Mike is improving massively. But that yellow card was so silly from the referee, Mike got the ball clearly. Also deserved MOTM.

Sir A1ex

Always backed him to come good and turn into a top class defender. So pleased with this form and finally putting the "Phil Jones is better" brigade firmly in there cages.
He's really kicked on, and is unarguably turning into the best English centre-back. I still think Jones has the potential to be of a similar level, albeit a different type of player. And that they could turn into an awesome pair - Would love to see the pair of them anchoring United and England for the next 6 or 8 years!:drool:

VanGaalEra

He's really kicked on, and is unarguably turning into the best English centre-back. I still think Jones has the potential to be of a similar level, albeit a different type of player. And that they could turn into an awesome pair - Would love to see the pair of them anchoring United and England for the next 6 or 8 years!:drool:
And with Shaw on the left!

:drool: :drool:

Gopher Brown

Unless Phil practices with his left a bit more it'll be a rarity.

Litch

If he wasn't here, everyone would be jumping up and down to buy him. It's always amazes me how we sometimes don't rate our own players. It's daft to think there were many on here that was campaigning to sell him. Maybe we should trust LVG a little more. If we can get Jones fit, maybe there's a player in there too....

sizzling sausages

Thinks TBP is a soft tagline whore
Scout
Glad to hear he played well again. Benteke will probably be his biggest test so far this season, I'm confident he can deal with him though.

Gopher Brown

Yeah, thought that after I posted. We actually should have got Clyne just for shits and giggles.

Or we get a manager who isn't so obsessed.
Well, he wasn't obsessed with it last season, so perhaps, like 3-5-2, he'll drop it.

For someone who everyone calls 'stubborn' all the time, he isn't hesitant to adjust things.

Chorley1974

Lady Ole
It's amazing the transformation under LVG's stewardship, seems a different player, and England's best defender at the moment.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
He's always had it in him IMO - of course lvg deserves credit but what held smalling back was vidic/rio and injuries.
And Fergie temporarily deciding (and unintentionally convincing media) that he was a right back.

Chorley1974

Lady Ole
He's always had it in him IMO - of course lvg deserves credit but what held smalling back was vidic/rio and injuries.
Always had the potential, he joined in 2010, now realising that potential. Looks a different player to me under LVG, for whatever reason.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Always had the potential, he joined in 2010, now realising that potential. Looks a different player to me under LVG, for whatever reason.
I think he just needed consistent game time at cb. Which was rarely afforded to him. Let's hope he keeps it up. One thing missing from him is distribution though. When he improves a bit more, he's going to be one of the top CB's in the world. Hell at this current rate, he'll be one regardless.

mufcwarm92

Glad to hear he played well again. Benteke will probably be his biggest test so far this season, I'm confident he can deal with him though.
Nah, IMO Kane is better than Benteke and Gomis is a similar standard. Strikers who rely on their physicality play right into Smalling's hands.

Bloxy

Why does it always rain on me?
He has some really good attributes, but most importantly for me he looks like he owns his area and takes control of situations. He seems to have a bit of Vidic and Rio.

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Smalling Shaw Darmain all we need now is Stones and Kane!

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
I agree with those saying he always had it in him. He's been putting in some dominant displays for a while, they're just quickly forgotten about in amongst the injuries, poor form of team etc. This is what age and experience brings to a defender though, most players in fact.

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello

He has everything in his locker. We just need to wrap him in cotton wool in between games.
Can't we just focus on the quality of his performances without having to take the opportunity to denigrate another member of the squad?

They both play in the same team, Smalling just happens to be in the midst of the best football of his career so far. He's been excellent this season. Jones doesn't really need to be part of the conversation.

Trizy

Funnily enough for a team terrible defensively last season we have the best GK, LB, CB and RB in the league, add a world class CB beside Smalling and it could be Rio, Vida, VDS, Evra all over again :drool:

Devil may care

To be fair, he just started to show form towards middle of last season and has continued this season.
It just feels like outside of United fans it's been slow going for him to get some media credit he's merited for close to 10 months.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Funnily enough for a team terrible defensively last season we have the best GK, LB, CB and RB in the league, add a world class CB beside Smalling and it could be Rio, Vida, VDS, Evra all over again :drool:
Any team without a settled back four will struggle. We have that so far this season.

Status
Not open for further replies.