Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
England's best centre half right now. Cahill and Jagielka cant hold a candle to Chris Smalling.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Would have been great if he had scored the winner. And so apt given his start to the season.

Varun

Staff
Would have been great if he had scored the winner. And so apt given his start to the season.
As Memphis was about to take the corner, I said to my brother that Smalling would head it in only for it to hit the bar :(

Brightonian

Missed probably our easiest chance of the night. That said, he was outstanding again
Good point, although Memphis' was easier. To have got up and got to a header first in the opposition's box means you've already done 50% of the hard work. Putting it in the net is only half the battle. Whereas all Memphis had to do to get his chance was... be there. So his was easier.

Anyway, we're quibbling over nothing - that mistake aside, he was perfect.

Sammyjunn

In Smalling's pocket (as every other person)
He's our best player.

No, seriously.
After DDG, he's the only one who is putting quality performances week in and week out, he's set a very high standard for himself for this past year, compared to the likes of Rooney, Mata who can be quite anonimous often. Shaw, Carrick, Smalling are imo our most consistent players when fit, and consistent at a high level.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
He should have been IMO. Did everything spot on and is clearly the leader at the back.

m1y2

looks like fantastic four at the back so far, Smalling leading the line by example. People complaining about Smalling's technique - who complained about Vidic's technique which is most certainly inferior to Smalling's who can bring the ball out of defense like a king is also a beasty defender, dominant in the air and outsprints any player in the world.

I think we have world class defender on our hands but probably we already know it, the player just needs to stay fit and consistent which won't be a problem as it seems at all, with Darmian looking very consistent and another world class talent Shaw, the only piece of jigsaw missing looks like the left center back but so far Blind showed he deserves the spot even long term he's still only a back up in my eyes..

Also with Schneiderlin in front of them it's easier to defend..

walkinhop

If he can stay fit...oh man... Since the start of this season every time he is near the ball i am 0% nervous. Love to see that in a defender.

Cantona'sCollar

Our player of the season so far, by far. I rate him as the best player at the club after DDG. He's been imperious since he was sent off versus City last season, and he has gone up several levels this season.

Robbie Boy

He's brilliant. Along with Shaw, they've been our two best players this season. He's really picked himself up since the arrival of LvG.

Sied

I..erm..love U2, baby?
Does anyone know what the longest he's gone without an injury for is? Feels like this must be up there with his longest injury free run.

Riz

Running out of comments for him now to be honest. Exactly what we've come to expect - another top class performance.

Loublaze

ATLien
Does anyone know what the longest he's gone without an injury for is? Feels like this must be up there with his longest injury free run.
12 games straight. More than Jones (10) and Evans (7) going back to 2012

mufcwarm92

Absolute titan. The balance in our defensive five is better than it's been since 2009.

Parma Dewol

What are the odds on an opposition player scoring against us before Christmas with Mike 'the beast mode' Smalling spearheading our defence?

Cantona'sCollar

Absolute titan. The balance in our defensive five is better than it's been since 2009.
That isn't saying much. :D

Very true, though. It's the first time since Rio & Vida were partners that we have a settled, organised back four that doesn't make the goalkeeper look like he is in some sort of defence vs attack training drill. Smalling is at the centre of that.

ZDwyr

Was hard to really judge him considering the stream I had was pretty poor. Glad he did well again though.

pseudo_canadian

Dominant yet again from Mike. He's been our best player this season so far, with Shaw a close second.

Looks like this could be a real breakout year for him.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
Defence and the defensive play by the rest of the team is looking good, if not really tested by a top team yet. Only slight weak spots are Blind in the air and occasional loss of focus from Romero but good to see a stable back four at last. Compare to last season's nonsense chopping and changing and back threes and injuries is huge.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Did the job of two centre backs today. Blind was exposed, and they constantly went for that left channel. It's not a criticism to Blind, but when you've got a player like Gomis, you're going to do that. Smalling was sweeping up everything. His marking could have been better for the first goal, but getting back into shape on the counter is very difficult, and it's something we did do very well for nearly the whole game. The one time we didn't, they scored.

Cantona'sCollar

Couldn't do much more today - he had to do Blind's job whenever the ball was played to Gomis, and also had to cover for Darmian on occasion. He could have done better for the first goal, but I think he and Blind should share the blame on that one. The worrying thing is that it was Ayew vs 2. They seem to work well together, but I can't see it being very fruitful long term. He's been our best player this season alongside Shaw, but he'd benefit so much from having a real centre-back alongside him.

Sylar

He was in beast mode at times today, especially when he would just take command and get across to help Blind (Darmian tucking in also helps and him and Smalling have a great understanding there).

Want to see more of him and Rojo tbh.

ZDwyr

Him and Shaw were our best IMO. They've been the standouts all season really.

Status
Not open for further replies.