Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Made their strikers look like schoolkids, it was amazing.
He bullied that one school kid for 60 minutes, then his big brother came on, and Smalling decided he'd bully him too.

He's actually a right bastard when you think about it.

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
Need a gif of him running over that guy like a tank. fecking hilarious :lol:

Best defender in the PL
He wasn't playing in the premier league and, like the argument going on in the Memphis thread, it's premature but... I'll let it pass because he was absolutely excellent tonight. One of the most dominant defensive displays I've seen in quite some time.

OldTrevil

Have to add the obligatory; Brick Walling :D

Would have been easily my MOM If not for Memphis's two sensational goals (that far post curler :drool:)

fatboy

Terrific performance. I lost count the number of times he shepherded the poor Brugge back towards his own goal, then nicked it off him to start the counter. On par with Memphis on this night. Yes it was that good.

Obiorahking_

Can't wait to watch him bully Cisse come Saturday. I am very intrigued to see him and Costa go one v one.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Why do people say "good defensively but poor passing"? How many of those bad passes did he make today? I only recall one- when he kicked it out of the pitch.

Saying such things when he had 98% accuracy sounds like a cliché to me. He’s improving passing, that what needs to be said after this game, no more.

Anustart89

Why do people say "good defensively but poor passing"? How many of those bad passes did he make today? I only recall one- when he kicked it out of the pitch.

Saying such things when he had 98% accuracy sounds like a cliché to me. He’s improving passing, that what needs to be said after this game, no more.
And to me, that didn't even look like a pass. Looked like he ran out of options and just knocked it out for a throw (if we're talking about the one on the left wing).

Man of Leisure

Threatened by women who like sex.
Thought he was great as usual. Another excellent defensive performance from him. If Smalling was better on the ball, he'd be a world-class CB. As it is, I'm pretty fecking ecstatic with him. He's fast, physical, and reads the game well. Hope these performances give him the confidence to really kick off into another gear. Expecting really big things from him this season.

Classical Mechanic

His ability on the ball is poor for a top level player.

It isn't simply about how many passes reach their intended target.

It is how long it takes a player to bring the ball under control and get the ball out of their feet to their teammate, the longer time a player takes on the ball, the more opportunity the opposition get to close down space all over the pitch. Smalling takes longer on the ball than you would like, especially if the ball is harder to control. You saw early in the game yesterday a pronounced example of this when he received a bad pass, failed to control it quickly and shanked it out of play under pressure.

It is also about weight of pass. He played a pass back to Romero yesterday that had too much power on it so Romero had to take a touch to bring it under control before making a pass to a teammate, this was whilst a striker was closing down on him. Unlike Smalling, Romero is adept with the ball at his feet and was able to do this but it invites unwanted pressure.

Daley Blind has demonstrated the level of ability on the ball that LVG wants from his defenders in the past two games. His assist last night for Depay was fantastic, he read the run and executed the pass perfectly. He made a similar pass against Villa to Depay that took several of their players out of the game. This is a high level of ability on the ball for a defender but the level that LVG wants. Smalling is not capable of this by a long shot.

Not that I don't rate him as a defender, it was almost comical the way in which he bullied the Brugge forwards last night but I do feel that LVG would replace him if he could.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
It's fantastic to see how many people are now beginning to recognise him as a top class defender, I've been championing him for years and injuries barring he will continue to put in confident dominant displays against any team in my opinion.

His passing can improve, of course he's by no means perfect.

But frankly, I'm of the opinion that he's a defender first, and he's doing that job brilliantly. The responsibility of bringing the ball out from the back shouldn't rest solely with him, and the 'philosophy' isn't going to fall apart if he isn't the most proficient passer.

All in all I expect him to have a dominant season, and come the end of it he will be spoken about and respected as amongst the leagues best defenders - by opposition fans, not just our own.

United again!

When talking about defenders, I've never understood it. It was a big topic about Ramos as well Oh my god he's amazing on the ball!!.. Yes, but can he defend?...

Bwuk

When talking about defenders, I've never understood it. It was a big topic about Ramos as well Oh my god he's amazing on the ball!!.. Yes, but can he defend?...
of course it matters. if you lose possession it's no use, or if you take too long to get the ball moving again it slows things down.

I think the lack of ability on the ball is something that will always be there with Smalling. He's a good defender, and a great athlete, but he isn't a top footballer.

He's started the season great though, and I think Blind compliments him well.

Shark

@NotShark
If Smalling can finally stay fit all season and continue this level of performance, only that's when he'll start to be recognised as a defender we can rely on. Until then, despite his ability, there will be contrinue to be doubts hanging over his head.

Delighted for him though, played another stormer.

United again!

of course it matters. if you lose possession it's no use, or if you take too long to get the ball moving again it slows things down.
If you can defend zone, defend your man one on one and/or organize your team mates then I couldn't give a bollocks what you're like on the ball. Personally, anyway.

SoCross

Reminiscent of Vidic at his dominating best.

Chrissy Smalling woah woah.

Riz

Don't have a problem with his distribution to be honest. Instead of trying to thread the ball through the eye of a needle he just gallops forward like a gazelle on steroids and inevitably puts himself into a position for a much easier ball, it's just as effective as passing from the back.

SoCross

Video courtesy of a Newbie. "Beast Mode"

Cheers Barnslig

Varun

Staff
As I had said in the "is Smalling the best CB in the league" thread, if he remains fit, he will prove that he is by the end of the season.

Parma Dewol

Don't know where to start! I've always had my doubts about Smalling and when he got himself sent off against City last season for two stupid yellows, I didn't want to see him in a United shirt ever again.

Well, I'm happy to be eating my own words. Ever since that moment he has improved game after game, and this season he's proving to be immense. Scrap that, he's in God mode. Untouchable. In fact, I'm not sure we should be bidding for Harry Kane - he's likely to be suffering from emotional distress after the hounding that Chris gave him the other week.

Best chant of the night against Brugge was "there's only one Mike Smalling!"

I thought our defence was going to be our undoing this season, but in Mike we trust.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
I hope for his sake he doesn't suffer any major injury setbacks at any point. If he continues in this vain he'll be starting for England next summer... justifiably so too.

I reckon him and Stones would make a grand pairing.

SoCross

Also he was given the armband after Rooney went off. I thought it would have gone to Schweinsteiger but great to see Van Gaal continuing to recognise Mike's efforts from last season.

Skills

Snitch
Also he was given the armband after Rooney went off. I thought it would have gone to Schweinsteiger but great to see Van Gaal continuing to recognise Mike's efforts from last season.
It seems like he's been doing a lot of interviews etc since last season too - hopefully he's being groomed for the captaincy? I think he's the perfect candidate too - top professional, great attitude and comes across extremely well off the pitch. Plus the fact that he is British/homegrown would make him a preferred choice in the eyes of the higher ups at the club to be face of the club.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
Dominant and excellent performance. He is 70% of our back four when it comes to defending. Whenever it gets dangerous, he's there to clear the situation

Martin(6)Buchan

Hope he stay's injury free, and in some ways he's reminding me of Rio commanding his box and calmness yeah still a bit rough round the edges but once they are smoothed out will be at OT for many a year.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Been wondering why, since his very first season, anyone saw anything other than an outstanding centre-half. Seems most United fans are now believers, although outside of the club, not so much. By the end of the season, I expect him to get the recognition her deserves. That will come from Euro and international performances. Roy gave him his break and is a believer, and I am sure he'll be an England regular if he is fit from now on.

Skills

Snitch
Been wondering why, since his very first season, anyone saw anything other than an outstanding centre-half. Seems most United fans are now believers, although outside of the club, not so much. By the end of the season, I expect him to get the recognition her deserves. That will come from Euro and international performances. Roy gave him his break and is a believer, and I am sure he'll be an England regular if he is fit from now on.
Me too. In terms of defensive attributes, he's basically the same player. Just a lot more confident, more of a leader - and that's just natural because he's the most senior defender at the club now (which is incredible to think as he's only 25).

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
There was always more excitement on Jones, who's probably more of a 'typical' hard as nails defender, especially when you consider what SAF (or Sir Bobby?) said about him potentially being the next best player to play for the club. I don't know why, I wholeheartedly agree Smalling has been an elite prospect since the day we signed him.

Status
Not open for further replies.