Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Looks like that block has really inflated his ratings! There were better players on the pitch, not saying he was bad though.

Scarecrow

Having a week off
He's been stupidly dominant this season. That clearance off the line was a result of a really poor decision from Smalling though.
True, he was foolish to charge in like that. It's like he wanted too much to be decisive and to break the attack himself. Still happened, to be fair.

Ludens the Red

He's been stupidly dominant this season. That clearance off the line was a result of a really poor decision from Smalling though.
Yeah he does that now, keep him interested, make a horrendous mistake in order to make up for said mistake with ridiculous tackle/block.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
My man of the match. Totally different player now is Captain Mike:drool:

Hed Zitin

Wouldn't swap him for any CB at any club. A boss.

You can see how much de Gea appreciates him as well. A proper commander of his box.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
The boss at the back!
Indeed. Very proud of the boy. He could have let his head drop after that red card at City last season. But somehow he's hauled himself kicking and screaming to his current standard. Thanks to the coaching team for helping him but mostly thanks to Chris for obviously taking on board whatever he's being taught.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Such a big player for us now. Someone gif that block!

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I think the reason he was at fault for that chance is because he underestimated just how quick Doumbia and Musa are. It's understandable, I mean, 90% or so of the forwards he has/will come across this season will be slower and weaker than him, but he musn't get complacent in these situations. His physical abilities will get him so far - and he's really utilising them this season, hence the increased dominance/agression but he needs to keep using that brain and time things as he had been doing earlier in his career.

SteveW

I am a big fan of Smalling, but his lack of ability on the ball is a problem with the style we are playing.
Watching Boateng at Bayern and it's amazing what a ball playing centerback can add to a team, pinging the ball wide and even spotting runs from the striker and actually hitting the target.

I'm not saying he should be replaced, but i'm not sure either that being an amazing defender is good enough nowadays.
A defender being amazing at defending isn't enough? He's fine in possession for a CB

SteveW

Granted, but at least he kept playing and made the block. Huge contrast between him and Blind who just stopped and didn't even bother trying to get back to help.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Granted, but at least he kept playing and made the block. Huge contrast between him and Blind who just stopped and didn't even bother trying to get back to help.
I couldn't believe that, smalling bust his ass off and got the game winning block, blind just walked back watching?!?

Thank god for Mike though, he really is an absolute colossal defender

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Smalling is really benefitting from his graduation into top dog since the old guard of Rio, Vidic Evra and Evans left.

You can visibly see he feels responsibility as an essential first team player and leads his back 5 brilliantly as well as deliver world class performances at centre back.

He was sensational in his defensive duties tonight epitomised by that lunge to save a certain goal in the 2nd half.

Actually he has been sensational all season, probably our player of the season so far. And yet its also clear that he still has potential to become even better. Certainly one player who has benefitted from the LVG philosophy.

Ive struggled for a while to identify who best personified what Manchester United stood for but now Im very clear: Its Chris Smalling.

NoPace

Wouldn't swap him for any CB at any club. A boss.

You can see how much de Gea appreciates him as well. A proper commander of his box.
I love him but, if you're looking at every club, I think Boateng is better. He hits long balls like Blind (and we saw again today how key that can be) and defends almost as well as Smalling.

Smalling is brilliant, though. Thought he was fantastic today at winning the long balls and clearances CSKA played out. He looks more assured on the ball, too. Shaw, Smalling and De Gea is a fine start to a truly fantastic defensive unit.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
At times he looks like he is playing around with opposition strikers, incredible how dominant he can look.

Also, again, he deserves more praise for improving so much technically and passing wise.

kafta

Perpetual Under 11's Team Player
What a beast! His desire to win every header and every ball is just immense.

No weakness to his game, just a top class natural defender.

HabeasC

It gets bandied around a lot as a term, but is Mikey now world class? I can't think of any other defenders I'd rather have and think he is at a higher level than others who are de facto 'world class' defenders.

Ole's_toe_poke

Ole_Aged_Slow_Poke
Amazing what a name change can do.

Maybe we need to rename all of our forward players. Marouane Rooney.

Shark

@NotShark
It gets bandied around a lot as a term, but is Mikey now world class? I can't think of any other defenders I'd rather have and think he is at a higher level than others who are de facto 'world class' defenders.
At the level he's currently performing at, I don't think you could describe him as anything other than a top class defender. I've no idea what world class even means these days, but he's got to be close.

mattsville

He is without a doubt the best cb in the PL by a mile, he is absolutely incredible, strong as feck and technical when required and has developed vocally, he is a leader at the back.

Rossa

I actually gave MotM to De Gea, since as @Cina said the chance was at least partially Smalling's fault, and he also got beat down the right by sheer pace. Still a good performance all in all, and I echo most of the sentiments in this thread.
Mike outpaced???? Haven't seen that before. By whom?

Status
Not open for further replies.