Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

JakeC

Last Man Standing 2 champion 2020/21
Another heroic performance, cant think of many better defenders in the world.

Devil may care

Indeed. Very proud of the boy. He could have let his head drop after that red card at City last season. But somehow he's hauled himself kicking and screaming to his current standard. Thanks to the coaching team for helping him but mostly thanks to Chris for obviously taking on board whatever he's being taught.
He could well turn out to be LvG's United legacy.

suheilsworld

It is impossible to find faults in his game nowadays. Has grown leaps and bound since that City away game. What a turning point that was in his career. Really looking forward to a solid Smalling-Jones partnership.

Americano

Make America Great Again!
It is impossible to find faults in his game nowadays. Has grown leaps and bound since that City away game. What a turning point that was in his career. Really looking forward to a solid Smalling-Jones partnership.
He is great on the ball, and makes some runs at the opposing goal. Maybe a few more goals from setpieces to really round out the package :)

ZDwyr

He's played every minute of every game hasn't he? Maybe missed one match. Hopefully he doesn't burn out.

hbgreg

He has faults, one being how long he takes to pass it when he wants to hit it hard. Takes an extra few seconds.

saivet

Great block but it was initiall poor defending from him to let the striker in

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
I honestly think if he was a great passer he'd have the potential to be the best defender in the world.

Skills

Snitch
I honestly think if he was a great passer he'd have the potential to be the best defender in the world.
If he takes a defence with Daley Blind as his CB partner and without Luke Shaw, to a CL final he'd put himself right up there despite all his on ball deficiencies IMO.

Rossa

I was as surprised as anyone, I think it was Musa, or may have been Doumbia - one of the two though.
Both are properly fast though,but he has had agbonlahor and ribery in his pocket in the past. One wrong step and those fast players will get you though. May be a bit tired now as well. He has played every match.

Ricardo de la Vega

Mike pre-season, now Michael - wonder who it is that he's confusing him with?

Something's definitely sticking in LvG's enormous forehead … going to have to change the thread name soon!
I always think he's mixing him up with Carrick for some reason. Both English. Both leaders. Both have played at CB...that's about it really but its all I've got.

Still, well played Mr Mike Smalling.

DanNistelrooy

Lineup Prediction & Last Man Standing winner 2017
Its gotten to the stage where I don't expect anything else apart from complete domination from him, in incredible form and rising to his potential he showed in his first season. Our player of the season so far

Trizy

Its gotten to the stage where I don't expect anything else apart from complete domination from him, in incredible form and rising to his potential he showed in his first season. Our player of the season so far
Same, for me that defines a world class player when you expect nothing else but a quality performance.

Trizy

Same, for me that defines a world class player when you expect nothing else but a quality performance.

Marty1968

Has probably been said 1,000 times already in this thread but cannot believe the transformation in this guy. When Moyes was here he was seriously poor and on other threads of players I wanted shipped out, he was pretty high on the list (along with Young who redeemed himself last season too!). LVG has made this guy as good as Rio was when he first joined us. And if Smalling has as good a career as Rio then we'll have one of the best CB's in the world for years to come.

He always struck me as the sort of player who needed the much older, wiser head next to him but his composure on the ball, passing, tackling is all as good as I've seen from any CB this season....in any league!

Keep up the good work Mike!!

villain

Hates Beyoncé
His level has raised so much that such dominant performances are average for him now.

Ballache

Supports
Martial
This version of Smalling doesn't surprise me, said it all along that he just needs to stay fit and he'll reach this level. Immense CB and our best player atm.

Havak

Pokemon master
I think if he was a better passer of the ball, he'd go on to be a contender for the best CB in Europe if his form continues like this into next season. However, when he has the likes of Blind, Carrick and Schweinsteiger around him, he doesn't need to be able to play anything more than a simple pass. He is an immense defender and has become my favourite CB (who is currently still playing).

I know its easy to say now, but I've always rated him as our best potential from when he first signed. Now that he's seemingly over the injuries (although he's missed far fewer games in his time here than everyone seems to think), it is as clear as day that he is head and shoulders above everyone else in terms of defending and his physical attributes. He is definitely the stand-out performer and has improved massively under LvG (can only say that for maybe four or five players in our squad).

DanNistelrooy

Lineup Prediction & Last Man Standing winner 2017
For me world class means performing on the biggest stages against the best players. If he continues this form in the latter stages of the Champions League and in the big domestic games then we can start asking whether he is world class. For now though, lets just enjoy his performances.

Edit - the Euros next summer is a huge opportunity for him to put his name up there. Bizarrely you will still find the majority of opposition fans who don't rate him

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
I said years ago that he's one of my favourite United players, even when he was on the bench. Just has that professional demeanor about him. Knew he'd be an immense defender for us one day, and now is the time. I can't believe he's only 25. Within 3 years he went from Maidstone United to Manchester United via Fulham. What a brilliant pluck from Fergie.

Ole90+3

Dont think he's ever been poor, just injuries and matches at RB (but he even put in shifts there at times). He's showing that defensively he isnt any less than the likes of Ramos/Hummels etc, which got ridiculed past summer.
Totally. His only ever criticism was his distribution out of defence and the occasional brain fart. His defensive abilities have NEVER been in doubt from day one in my opinion.

He has a perfect stature and physique for a CB, and just constantly bosses the defence, elegantly gliding attackers off the ball. Beautiful man. Wouldn't swap him for any defender in the world.

SirAF

Ageist
I touched his shoulder almost five years ago, naturally I take fully credit for his form.

Status
Not open for further replies.