Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Eddy_JukeZ

If he was better on the ball, he'd have potential to be the best CB in the world imo

Still for me, he's the best CB in the Prem.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Seriously, he embarrasses opposition strikers week after week. It must be a pain in the ass playing in defensive team on break against Smalling.

Skills

Snitch
:lol:

He's playing with such authority these days. Watching him defend is as entertaining as any trickster attacker.
Yup. Such a clean yet dominant defender. You never worry when he commits into a challenge because he's almost certain to win it.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Just an absolute tank these days. Such a shame Shaw got injured as we'd have the best defence in the league by a distance when he's fit, having the 2 of them basically being beastly in every game.

Skills

Snitch
It's no longer form now, he just is top class. I do not know what happened to him after that red card at City last season, but it seems that that flipped a switch.
Got a run of games at CB for the first time in his career to make people forget about his underwhelming RB performances, that were so far in his career overshadowing his talent at CB.

He was always a terrific CB.

Raw

Got a run of games at CB for the first time in his career to make people forget about his underwhelming RB performances, that were so far in his career overshadowing his talent at CB.

This, it did seem like he turned a corner after that City red card but I remember Smalling playing really well in his first season at United. I'm so glad United kept their faith with him like I did :D

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Not even surprised that he played well again it's become the norm for him, big part why we are one of the best defences in the league.

villain

Hates Beyoncé

This x100000000

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
LVG deserves a lot of credit, showed a lot of faith in him and hasn't let him down.

Skills

Snitch
This, it did seem like he turned a corner after that City red card but I remember Smalling playing really well in his first season at United. I'm so glad United kept their faith with him like I did :D
And just a week before the sending off where he put in one of his best performances of the season against Chelsea. People love a narrative though.

m1y2

the future EPL player of the season if JV9 stops scoring of course...

Devil may care

One thing I've noticed is he's more assured on the ball when playing it out as the RCB than when he has to play as LCB with Jones.

m1y2

One thing I've noticed is he's more assured on the ball when playing it out as the RCB than when he has to play as LCB with Jones.
its really weird as chris spent a season or two covering for Rb, so he's very natural there but aas soon as jones back in the team, smallings on the left:confused:

ZDwyr

Defended well, just the standard for him. I was more impressed with how often he brought the ball into the midfield area. He didn't always find a brilliant forward pass but I thought it really helped the mentality of the team.

Sereques

Hope he doesn't burn out. He has played every single game so far.
He can't burn out, he's at the best age for a footballer. At this age, his body recovers quickly. He can play every game for the next four years fitness permitting and he will be fine.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
Absolutely fantastic.

He deserves even more credit than he's receiving having to play with different personnel consistently. Just needs to find some magic in his feet to improve his passing.

marjen

Desperately wants to be like Noodle
I doubt he's ever going to become a great passer, but he isn't that bad on the ball. He's showing some nice feet at times.

kafta

Perpetual Under 11's Team Player
Haven't enjoyed watched no a CB play this much in a long time. Absolutely bossing it. Must be hell for a striker to line up against him these days.

marjen

Desperately wants to be like Noodle
What's really terrifying about him is his pace.

Like Vidic you get the sense that he absolutely relishes defending - winning physical battles, competing in the air, shoving people about, tackling, blocking - and like Vidic his head is like a magnet in the box.

But then he's got pace as well! I mean, Torres wouldn't put on the afterburners and get away from him, he'd be caught and then taken out by his huge frame.

Basically unless he cocks it up with the ball or are very badly positioned you're not, ever, going to get a clear cut chance vs him. Must be frustrating for the strikers.

Skills

Snitch
What's really terrifying about him is his pace.

Like Vidic you get the sense that he absolutely relishes defending - winning physical battles, competing in the air, shoving people about, tackling, blocking - and like Vidic his head is like a magnet in the box.

But then he's got pace as well! I mean, Torres wouldn't put on the afterburners and get away from him, he'd be caught and then taken out by his huge frame.

Basically unless he cocks it up with the ball or are very badly positioned you're not, ever, going to get a clear cut chance vs him. Must be frustrating for the strikers.
Reminds me a lot of Wes in that he's so complete. Scarily, he's even bigger, stronger and faster than Wes.

Kounan

I am a fan of LVG, but why should he get credit for Smallings play? Smalling was very good before, his first season was really good, after that he was more than OK, but played as RB and had a lot of injuries. Under Moyes he was our best CB when played as one and now he is just progressing and fullfiling his potential, thank God.

SirAF

Ageist
I am a fan of LVG, but why should he get credit for Smallings play? Smalling was very good before, his first season was really good, after that he was more than OK, but played as RB and had a lot of injuries. Under Moyes he was our best CB when played as one and now he is just progressing and fullfiling his potential, thank God.
It's difficult to say how much is down to him, but I think LvG should be credited a bit for Smalling's fitness this season. I remember that van Gaal spoke of his track record with injuries at his other teams. Now, that the players have been calibrated to LvG's training even Jones have been fit for quite a while (blood cloth doesn't count obviously).

Kounan

It's difficult to say how much is down to him, but I think LvG should be credited a bit for Smalling's fitness this season. I remember that van Gaal spoke of his track record with injuries at his other teams. Now, that the players have been calibrated to LvG's training even Jones have been fit for quite a while (blood cloth doesn't count obviously).
I do give credit for that, as it seems that all players are less injury prone, but when it comes to Smalling and his abilities, I think that it should have been clear before what his potential is and that he is starting tu fullfill it. He is not even 26 yet and people apparently didn't understand that when they have criticised him before.

Status
Not open for further replies.