Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Trizy

2 points off the top, looking good in Europe, teams fearing us again, having a solid defensive set up, the immergance of exciting youth talent etc etc.
Morgan has been a very good addition and we now have the best midfielder in the league in Bastian. Darmain looks a good addition and Jesse has stepped up well in the last few games. Plus we are sitting 2 points of the top of the league and top of our champions league group. I'd say that's quite a few positives.
Sorry, was talking about players. Good shout with Morgan and Jesse though.

Sammyjunn

In Smalling's pocket (as every other person)
Morgan has been a very good addition and we now have the best midfielder in the league in Bastian. Darmain looks a good addition and Jesse has stepped up well in the last few games. Plus we are sitting 2 points of the top of the league and top of our champions league group. I'd say that's quite a few positives.
When are we stopping rating people based on their name? Schweini hasnt even been our best midfielder, never mind best in the league.

diarm

BBC in their ratings said Smalling is "slowly but surely stepping up his claim to start next summer in France".

Smalling is England's best player by a country mile at the moment. He is further ahead of any English centre back than the next best option is ahead of me.

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
When are we stopping rating people based on their name? Schweini hasnt even been our best midfielder, never mind best in the league.
He's easily been our best midfielder not sure why you have to think I am going on his name? I couldn't care if he was called Djemba Djemba but fact being when I watch United (every game either at the game or on TV) he sticks out a mile. I can't think of a better midfielder in the Premiership? Who do you think is our best and who is better than him in the premiership?

Sammyjunn

He's easily been our best midfielder not sure why you have to think I am going on his name? I couldn't care if he was called Djemba Djemba but fact being when I watch United (every game either at the game or on TV) he sticks out a mile. I can't think of a better midfielder in the Premiership? Who do you think is our best and who is better than him in the premiership?
He hasnt been better than Schneiderlin, Cazorla, Coquelin, Fernandinho on top of my head, he hasnt done anything significant, playing it far too safe on consistent basis in the PL. On par with Carrick for me who plays it even less safe and more deep.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
BBC in their ratings said Smalling is "slowly but surely stepping up his claim to start next summer in France".

Smalling is England's best player by a country mile at the moment. He is further ahead of any English centre back than the next best option is ahead of me.
BBC are about a year behind when it comes to football stuff tbf. I'm more shocked they haven't asked where Lescott is these days.

Giggsy92

So no word of him dropping out of the squad for Tuesday, that has to be a good sign right?

Lawman

He hasnt been better than Schneiderlin, Cazorla, Coquelin, Fernandinho on top of my head, he hasnt done anything significant, playing it far too safe on consistent basis in the PL. On par with Carrick for me who plays it even less safe and more deep.
We should really take this to the Bastian thread but you're having a laugh saying he's not been better than any of the above. He's certainly been better than Schneiderlin, Coquelin and Fernandinho, Cazorla has played well but I know who I'd have in my team. For me Bastian is the best midfielder in the league and I'd have that opinion if he was playing for City, Liverpool whoever and playing this way. The way he controls matches is a joy to watch, yes he's not hit top gear but he's still way ahead of anything in the league imo.

Trizy

fecking hell where have they been for the past year? Maybe it's someone who just writes about International football and doesn't watch club football.. that's the only excuse I can think of.

Sammyjunn

We should really take this to the Bastian thread but you're having a laugh saying he's not been better than any of the above. He's certainly been better than Schneiderlin, Coquelin and Fernandinho, Cazorla has played well but I know who I'd have in my team. For me Bastian is the best midfielder in the league and I'd have that opinion if he was playing for City, Liverpool whoever and playing this way. The way he controls matches is a joy to watch, yes he's not hit top gear but he's still way ahead of anything in the league imo.
Lets agree to disagree then, dont think controlling the game makes you the best midfielder in the keague while that's the main reason we're so poor in attack. Lack of pace, urgency and depth in passing. Has got run ragged a few times as well.

Skills

Snitch
He's pretty much locked in for United player of the year isn't he? And if we're topping the table by February, he would have to be one of the favourite for the PFA player of the Year awards.

Then again, defenders don't seem to get much recognition. Vidic should've walked it in 08/09.

diarm

He's pretty much locked in for United player of the year isn't he? And if we're topping the table by February, he would have to be one of the favourite for the PFA player of the Year awards.

Then again, defenders don't seem to get much recognition. Vidic should've walked it in 08/09.
On current form there isn't a defender anywhere I'd take ahead of him.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline

DDG ? It would be some feat to win it for a keeper.

Skills

Snitch
DDG ? It would be some feat to win it for a keeper.
DDG won it last two years. And to be fair as great as De Gea is, he missed the first 4 games of the season while he was fecking about and we still kept 3 cleansheets. Only Smalling has been the one constant in our impressive defense so far this season - with Blind, Shaw, Darmian, Schneiderlin all missing various games for one reason or another.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
DDG won it last two years. And to be fair as great as De Gea is, he missed the first 4 games of the season while he was fecking about and we still kept 3 cleansheets. Only Smalling has been the one constant in our impressive defense so far this season - with Blind, Shaw, Darmian, Schneiderlin all missing various games for one reason or another.
I forgot the word "again" obviously. DDG has impressed me more than Smalling because after his contract issues, he just came back and showed everyone he was the best in England again.

Hammerfell

fecking hell where have they been for the past year? Maybe it's someone who just writes about International football and doesn't watch club football.. that's the only excuse I can think of.
It was their chief football writer. They're woefully inadequate nowadays.

RonaldoVII

He probably needs to score a long-range screamer like David Luiz for everyone else to put him in the top bracket as that clearly counts for more than being a fantastic defender. Honestly though he just looks so confident like nobody could possibly get past him.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Smalling deserves it this year for his form, de gea has been great as usual but nothing out of the ordinary of his high level. Smalling though has stepped up massively, if he keeps it going he gets my vote.

Watford 1:2 Man Utd

Skills

Snitch
Didn't have a great game today, but made a difference at the other end today at the end. Such a threat from set pieces if for once we put the fecking ball in!

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Those backheels. :wenger:

He is now trying to emulate Ronaldinho.

DWelbz19

Need a GIF of that beautiful backheel strike

DWelbz19

Don't think he was as dominant as usual at the back tbh.
In the air it was pretty 50/50 between he and Deeney, but he wasn't really troubled at any point. As mentioned above he made a brilliant challenge just before that fantastic #DaveSave. Wasn't 'dominant', sure, but good enough in a very forgetable game.

Skills

Snitch
In the air it was pretty 50/50 between he and Deeney, but he wasn't really troubled at any point. As mentioned above he made a brilliant challenge just before that fantastic #DaveSave. Wasn't 'dominant', sure, but good enough in a very forgetable game.
I'm probably being quite harsh, but that's the standard he's set for himself (IMO) on the back of the last last year and especially the last few months.

Dr Baltar

Don't think I've seen many players improve as much as he has in their mid-20's.
I've always hammered him on here & even when people were going over the top about him last season I wasn't on board. Never ever in a million years thought he would be good enough for us but I'm happy to eat my words.

dasty

He seems to be possessed by Ibrahimovic at the end of the game there. Not complaining though.

ZDwyr

Was a little bit poorer than his recent high standards I thought. Was still decent enough though.

Kag

Don't think I've seen many players improve as much as he has in their mid-20's.
I've always hammered him on here & even when people were going over the top about him last season I wasn't on board. Never ever in a million years thought he would be good enough for us but I'm happy to eat my words.
I don't think he's really improved too much defensively. He's managed to say fit and piece all of the raw materials together, but all of the good things he does are things he was always capable of.

Depends where you stood before this season, I suppose. I wanted to let Rio go about two seasons before he left because I liked Smalling so much. For me, he's just reaping the benefits of regular football and a little bit of trust.

Skills

Snitch
He's always been class. People just figuring it out now are like kids in class figuring out the homework answers 4 years later when the solutions have been released (I.e. he's getting praise in the media from at Sky/BT etc). It's not Smalling's fault.

Status
Not open for further replies.