Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Still our best centre back. We've got away with having Rojo at the back for the last few games (mainly thanks to referee's incompetence) but I expect Mourinho will be looking to get him back in.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
In fact it doesn't even make much sense to continually come in a thread about one of our players if all you can do is say negative things because you personally don't rate him.

I don't rate Darmian but I won't spend my time talking about how much better Valencia and Shaw are.

If you don't like Smalling whats the point in continuing to tell us you think he's shite?

The manager doesn't think so, and as long as that's the case and as long as he's at our club surely its more productive to support our players and celebrate the amount of depth and competition we have in defence?
Um, that's why it's called the performance thread?? To um, discuss a player's performance, good or bad. Have you not read the Rojo, Rooney and Fellaini performance threads???

Wow, you guys really are a bit touchy and precious about Smalling. These aren't player appreciation threads...perhaps you should create one? I'll leave you to it.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
Um, that's why it's called the performance thread?? To um, discuss a player's performance, good or bad. Have you not read the Rojo, Rooney and Fellaini performance threads???

Wow, you guys really are a bit touchy and precious about Smalling. These aren't player appreciation threads...perhaps you should create one? I'll leave you to it.
He hasn't played recently though has he?
So all you're really doing is coming in here and saying how shite he is based off the Chelsea game.
Hence why I said, what's the point?

ti vu

Question: Did Smalling even touch the ball one when he came on in West Brom game?

RedPed

Whatabouter.
He hasn't played recently though has he?
So all you're really doing is coming in here and saying how shite he is based off the Chelsea game.
Hence why I said, what's the point?
Let me spell it out for you one more time, then we'll just agree to disagree. I don't think you'll find in any of my posts that I judged Smalling on the back of the Chelsea game. I don't think I've even mentioned that game. Loads of people have posted in here even though he hasn't played in weeks so yeah as you say, what's the point? I've never thought of him as any more than a decent CB. I've only commented in here to say that I don't think he should walk back in the side just because he's Chris Smalling and he had a few decent games last season. He needs to earn his place back as we're currently doing well without him. What's wrong with that?

I just don't get why people like you are getting upset about it?? If Jose thinks he's ready he'll play him, simple as that.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
Let me spell it out for you one more time, then we'll just agree to disagree. I don't think you'll find in any of my posts that I judged Smalling on the back of the Chelsea game. I don't think I've even mentioned that game. Loads of people have posted in here even though he hasn't played in weeks so yeah as you say, what's the point? I've never thought of him as any more than a decent CB. I've only commented in here to say that I don't think he should walk back in the side just because he's Chris Smalling and he had a few decent games last season. He needs to earn his place back as we're currently doing well without him. What's wrong with that?

I just don't get why people like you are getting upset about it?? If Jose thinks he's ready he'll play him, simple as that.
Well actually I was talking about you referring to the Mitrovic incident which happened 2 years ago? What's the point?
You don't rate Smalling, that much is certainly clear, but bringing up individual incidents that happened years ago does nothing, especially when all you're doing is focusing on any negatives and not any of the positive things he's done in the very same time frame.
I don't even understand why you think I'm getting upset, we're typing to each other you can't infer my emotions based from text alone.

And if you'll see I've said that he shouldn't walk in the side either, so I've agreed with you. Rotation is bound to happen over Christmas & New Years so he is likely to play. And it's clear Mourinho likes him based on earmarking him in the press conference as soon as he was available to play despite the media trying to suggest otherwise.

Maradona10

Woodward’s biggest fan
West ham are reported to be interested. Looks like the title needs to change to exit speculation.

Freak

Born a freak always a freak.
I like Smalling and think he's a good defender. But some part of me feels that he will not be world class simply because he always seems to have a feck up in him. I would rather keep him though, but I suspect Jose will sell.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
I don't see Mourinho selling him. He didn't have a pre-season due to that holiday injury, but as soon as he was fit again he came back in to the side and even wore the captains armband for a number of those games. The he played the Chelsea game reportedly whilst injured, Jose praised him for that, and he's been out injured since. He will have to fight to come back in to the side, which is a good situation to have, but I'm sure he will be back in the 11.

Anyone who isn't strictly first choice is being 'linked' with a move away, media-spun most probably. We'll have no players left if we did that.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
It's funny how varied our fans judgement on players are. Smalling been called shit and a beast on here.

The truth probably lies in between.

No way should he be sold, but it is odd that we are buying another CB. I think because Jose seemed to criticise personally after a poor performance a lot of people assume he's doomed (it did cross my mind too). I still think he will be important for us.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I don't see Mourinho selling him. He didn't have a pre-season due to that holiday injury, but as soon as he was fit again he came back in to the side and even wore the captains armband for a number of those games. The he played the Chelsea game reportedly whilst injured, Jose praised him for that, and he's been out injured since. He will have to fight to come back in to the side, which is a good situation to have, but I'm sure he will be back in the 11.

Anyone who isn't strictly first choice is being 'linked' with a move away, media-spun most probably. We'll have no players left if we did that.
They fell out over the broken toe leak.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
It's the most baffling fall from grace - our POTY last season and a few injuries and suddenly he's out???

Smudge

If Mourinho decides to sell then there is definitely one manager who will love him at his club and that is Arsene Wenger.

He has been wanting to sign Smalling for a while and it will be funny to see the reaction on here if we are left with no option but to accept Wenger's offer.

Mike09

If Mourinho decides to sell then there is definitely one manager who will love him at his club and that is Arsene Wenger.

He has been wanting to sign Smalling for a while and it will be funny to see the reaction on here if we are left with no option but to accept Wenger's offer.
They already have Mustafi and Kosc. So why do Wenger want to spend a lot of money on Smalling?

izec

Mourinho wont sell to Wenger. I doubt he will sell Smalling anyway. A lot can happen til the end of the season.

Smudge

They already have Mustafi and Kosc. So why do Wenger want to spend a lot of money on Smalling?
Yes and who else? Gabriel?

Arsenal fans have been crying out for more squad depth especially in defence.

Mike09

Yes and who else? Gabriel?

Arsenal fans have been crying out for more squad depth especially in defence.
:lol:
If Wenger is willing to spend big for another CB they didn't have to stuck with Mertesackers, Gabriel and Chambers for very long time. Wenger is just not that type of guy. He will try to find someone as cheap as possible.

flappyjay

He would stroll into city's defense if Pep didn't have a fetish for ball playing cb's, walk into Liverpools defense too and form a great partnership with Matip and he would definitely replace Cahill in Chelsea back three yet the Café would have believe that he should be partnering Shawcross at Stoke

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
And then he was back in the squad as soon as he was fit again. If there's a real falling out, he'd not pick him at all.

3 games in 7 days coming up. I'd be awfully surprised if Smalling doesn't start in one of them.
I have no doubts he will play him, he obviously likes him as a player but if he's broken Mourinho's trust then he will probably be the first out the door.

I hope he stays as I think Smalling is our best defender, but at the end of the day Mourinho will chose who he likes. That situation about him being injured/not injured and Mourinho's comments didn't seem promising IMO.

STaphouse

Supports
Reading
You're a big joker aren't you? That wasn't the first time Fellaini was booed at OT. He was even booed in a preseason friendly before and he was also the subject of sarcastic cheers when he was subbed against West Ham in a league gamejust this March under LVG. He's not a popular player. Smalling has had two terrible games in two years and one was only because of a stupid red card (City and Chelsea obviously).

Liverpool would snap our fingers off for him, look at their defence its non existent. Wenger is also a known long time admirer of Smalling and Fergie himself admitted to beating them to his contract and he felt like it was revenge for them stealing Ramsey under Uniteds noses. He'd play for any of our rivals. Chelsea have calamity Luiz and Cahill FFS
Take it you haven't watched much of Chelsea this year?

Luiz has been the best CB in the league and it's not even close.

Jaybomb

No.

Like Arsenal for example. They showed interest previously.He's also better than every defender at City although his limited ball playing ability wouldn't go down well with Pep.
Hes not better than Kompany and Otamendi... no way.

Loublaze

ATLien
Take it you haven't watched much of Chelsea this year?

Luiz has been the best CB in the league and it's not even close.
Protected by two other capable CBs and the team is in great form all round. Much like Rojo who's in fine form right now in a winning team. Props to Conte really, he's even got Victor Moses looking like a world beater when other high profile managers failed to bring the best out of him. Luiz is a talented footballer, shit defender. Funny you ask if i've watched Chelsea. I watched the Crystal Palace game and there were a few moments where Luiz looked really uncomfortable. In one play he let the ball bounce in front of him and he got charged down, only saved by Courtois' quick reactions.

He also had some shaky moments against WBA a few games ago when they really had a go at Chelsea (Chelsea managed to win 1-0 of course). He's due a real stinker when Chelsea's form dips. Luiz is capable of doing good things defensively and then totally losing the plot in another instant in the same game. If he can prove himself over the course of the season then i'll say he's turned a page

Ultimate Grib

Supports
LA Galaxy
Can we just cash in on him already before everyone else sees how useless he is.

We can surely get half of what Everton got for Stones.

I shake with rage everytime I see his name in the teamsheet.

Ainu

He's been criminally overrated on here. His second half of last season was nothing special and he has too many games where he's pretty much woeful. That FA Cup final display was all I ever needed to see from him. He's not nearly good enough. A Cahill level defender.

Jaybomb

Finally everyone is seeing how crap he is! We won our last 12 games with Rojo and Jones at the back and we put this donkey back in and all of a sudden we're losing again.

That can't be a coincidence. The sooner we cash in on him, the better. Not fit to wear the armband, not fit to wear the jersey.

Kag

This thread is going to separate the idiots from the rational. At fault for the goal, but put in a difficult position.

Teams concede goals, however. It happens. Thankfully our forwards eventually decided to do their job.

Status
Not open for further replies.