Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Pretty confident we won't be getting rid. But he's 27 now, he really should start putting him name in the top bracket of defenders.
I don't think he's been faulted for two years. He was fantastic for both the second half of LVG's first season and the first part of last season. But he tailed off at the turn of he year.
I think he has a massive fight on his hands getting his XI spot back.

izec

Be so pissed if we get rid of him. He's English, he's good enough, and he should stay.
Now i see. That he is English is irrelevant. He is good enough, probably, not this season under Jose though. Lets wait and see. Your opinion is also that Fellaini plays an important role, which i dont see and hopefully Jose neither.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Now i see. That he is English is irrelevant. He is good enough, probably, not this season under Jose though. Lets wait and see. Your opinion is also that Fellaini plays an important role, which i dont see and hopefully Jose neither.
I think there is a regulation of having an x number of home-grown/English players so it probably matters a tad.

Walters_19_MuFc

Irrelevant for you maybe. Man United are an English team. To me, it'd be nice to see a strong core of English players play for them.

As for Fellaini, I, and obviously Mourinho still feel Fellaini plays an important role, otherwise he wouldn't be using him every game.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
"decent", "shite" seriously?

Jones and Rojo haven't done anything better than Smalling and Blind did last season, for a longer period of time, in a much worse team that was struggling across all fronts.
Plus Smalling was the only naturalised defender along the back four for pretty much the whole season, often covering for Valencia and while taking charge of the physical game for Blind. Along with having to play with youth players like CBJ, TFM, Varela in times of injury.

Jones and Rojo have played well for what 6 weeks? And happened to have come in the squad while we're playing great football, Carrick has established his role, Pogba has improved his fitness, Zlatan is scoring goals, and we're playing much better as a team.
What they're doing is not anything that Smalling or Bailly could do either. Therefore it doesn't mean that they are better than Smalling.
So lets wait and see how long it lasts.

Calling Smalling decent or shite is madness though.
Calling him a 'beast', making out that he's world class or our best CB is equally madness. Like I said we're doing well without him so don't understand why people are getting so worked up over him.

Walters_19_MuFc

Calling him a 'beast', making out that he's world class or our best CB is equally madness. Like I said we're doing well without him so don't understand why people are getting so worked up over him.
We're doing fine without Bailly and Shaw too. Doesn't mean we should get rid of them.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
He is our best CB, he's put in a high level of consistent performances for 2 years now - and he did so while the rest of our team was struggling.
He was being called a "beast" because for large periods last year no striker was getting past him, either in the air, in the channels or running in from behind.

A big part of why Blind is comfortable at CB is because he was able to build the partnership with Smalling, also he covered for Valencia when he was caught out of position at RB last year too.

Jones and Rojo are performing well, and Smalling and Bailly aren't going to walk into the team because they don't deserve to as things stand.
But what I don't understand is just because those 2 are doing well, doesn't mean that Smalling is shite or even decent.

He's a top level defender who would get into any of the top 6 sides in the PL - we should be celebrating the wealth of depth we have at defence, not calling one player crap just because another is doing well.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
He is our best CB, he's put in a high level of consistent performances for 2 years now - and he did so while the rest of our team was struggling.
He was being called a "beast" because for large periods last year no striker was getting past him, either in the air, in the channels or running in from behind.

A big part of why Blind is comfortable at CB is because he was able to build the partnership with Smalling, also he covered for Valencia when he was caught out of position at RB last year too.

Jones and Rojo are performing well, and Smalling and Bailly aren't going to walk into the team because they don't deserve to as things stand.
But what I don't understand is just because those 2 are doing well, doesn't mean that Smalling is shite or even decent.

He's a top level defender who would get into any of the top 6 sides in the PL - we should be celebrating the wealth of depth we have at defence, not calling one player crap just because another is doing well.
We'll just agree to disagree. He's been skinned countless times (when not resorting to holding players back or grabbing their shirts). And he really is shite on the ball. There's no way he'd get into all of the top 6 sides, no way. Like I said he performed well for probably half a season over the last couple of years and that's it. I've never said he's been shite or decent just because Jones, Rojo and Bailly have been very good....he's always been an average, functional defender.

But that's just my opinion. If Jose rates him, he'll play and that's all that matters.

BringNaniBack

Leaves a bullshit trail behind him
Some people really do have short term memories. He's had more than one bad game. He was probably 'decent' for half a season but c'mon he has been pretty shite. We haven't missed him at all this season and we could certainly get better. There's no way he should walk straight back into the side...no way. It wouldn't be a bad thing if Jose does some business in January if speculation is to be believed.
Yes, you are clearly one of them.

Manny

Grammar Police
He was making plenty of mistakes during the last couple of months of last season and defensively, it meant we were a shambles.

The two that really stand out are the sending off in the final and the own goal in the semi against Everton because he couldn't adjust his feet for a cross (2:00 below).

I think he worked well in LvG's teams because we controlled possession and teams had to hit us on the counter from 50 yards out. It meant he could just out pace and outmuscle the forward. But under Mourinho, there will be games where we will be sitting back, defending the box so you can expect more moments like Everton from him. He's always been awkward with his feet, right throughout his United career and that's not going to improve much at 27 years old.

lawliet354

No reason to drop the Jones-Rojo partnership for Smalling, especially that he has been bad this season, if he can get back to the level of last season then he might have a case, but he has been on a steady decline since the end of last season, starting at the FA cup at Everton (own goal) and at the final (red card)

And his lack of technical ability really is painful to watch, while Jones, although not at Rio level, at least is comfortable with the ball and can pass forward rather than passing it to right back all the time

mu4c_20le

He was making plenty of mistakes during the last couple of months of last season and defensively, it meant we were a shambles.
So was Jones. Form is temporary..

I think he worked well in LvG's teams because we controlled possession and teams had to hit us on the counter from 50 yards out. It meant he could just out pace and outmuscle the forward.But under Mourinho, there will be games where we will be sitting back, defending the box so you can expect more moments like Everton from him. He's always been awkward with his feet, right throughout his United career and that's not going to improve much at 27 years old.
He was fantastic under SAF, and it was widely believed that Smalling/Jones was the future, not only for us but also the NT. I still believe Smalling at his best is easily our best CB, he can make interceptions and win the ball without ever going to ground. Last year was one of the worst in his career, he did a lot of stupid things in our FA Cup run that I've never seen him do before. But if Jose can get the best out of Rojo, I have faith he can do the same for Smalling.

BringNaniBack

Ha ha, whatever man! At the end of the day he ain't playing so until he does you'll just have to deal with it. Can you do that?
Yes I can, did I say I was desperate for him to play? I'm not fussed if he plays or not as long as we are winning. I'm not a Smalling fan boy. I say what I see and he has been our best CB over recent years. If you can't see that then fair enough but you clearly know nothing about football.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
Yes I can, did I say I was desperate for him to play? I'm not fussed if he plays or not as long as we are winning. I'm not a Smalling fan boy. I say what I see and he has been our best CB over recent years. If you can't see that then fair enough but you clearly know nothing about football.
You sound pretty desperate to me but you'll get over it. And to say I know nothing about football? :lol: You're a joke, mate. Not sure what football team you've been watching? You're probably still missing LVG too?

But anyway, moving on! Like I said Smalling ain't playing at the moment so it's all good! When he's good enough he can come back in.

BringNaniBack

You sound pretty desperate to me but you'll get over it. And to say I know nothing about football? :lol: You're a joke, mate. Not sure what football team you've been watching? You're probably still missing LVG too?

But anyway, moving on! Like I said Smalling ain't playing at the moment so it's all good! When he's good enough he can come back in.
Calm down, mate :lol:. He hasn't been playing due to an injury....oh but you probably didn't know that either. Take care.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Jones and Rojo have played well for what 6 weeks?
Baily, Rojo, Jones. All 3 have proven (albeit for a short period of time) that they can play in Jose's system, where defenders need to defend and don't need to constantly rely on DDG being the MOTM.
Smalling has proven that he does well in an LVG system (which we no longer use), where DDG was constantly the MOTM and ended up as the POTY. If Smalling was genuinely great, why was DDG constantly required to make wonder saves?

Baily, Rojo, Jones - all proven to do well in Jose's system.
Smalling - under Jose has not had a great game and one absolutely disastrous performance (against CFC), where he looked scared.

For the above reasons, logically, I would not choose Smalling, over the other 3 CBs, listed above.
What is your counter argument against my reasoning above?

villain

Hates Beyoncé
Baily, Rojo, Jones. All 3 have proven (albeit for a short period of time) that they can play in Jose's system, where defenders need to defend and don't need to constantly rely on DDG being the MOTM.
Smalling has proven that he does well in an LVG system (which we no longer use), where DDG was constantly the MOTM and ended up as the POTY. If Smalling was genuinely great, why was DDG constantly required to make wonder saves?

Smalling - under Jose has not had a great game and one absolutely disastrous performance (against CFC), where he looked scared.

For the above reasons, logically, I would not choose Smalling, over the other 3 CBs, listed above.
I've already stated my reasons in previous posts, and we've already discussed this in the past, it's clear that you personally don't rate Smalling going by your posts.

Rojo & Jones have played well in a settled team that's still as defensive as LVG's system - in the last 6 weeks we've had most of the possession, most of the chances, and offensively dominated the other teams therefore the defence have had very little to do.
But when the defence have been called on they've had the benefit of Carrick, Pogba & Herrera dropping back to help defensively - which Smalling didn't have last season.
It's not as though we've been up against it and Rojo & Jones have been consistently clearing the ball off the line and getting us out of trouble.
They've done well when they've been called up on, but their performances haven't been outstanding defensive displays that Smalling or Bailly wouldn't be capable of doing either.

Rossa

:lol: What planet are you from?!

Blind was much better than Smalling during the second half of the season.
Talking about planets and moons and stars and stuff - what planet are you on? I know there are some who genuinely believe that Blind outperformed Smalling last season, you included it seems, but I wonder if those are the same people who believe Elvis still lives.

I agree that Smalling wasn't perfect all the time, very few are, but in terms of defending, Smalling is so superior to Blind that it's not even a contest. Blind's passing and technique are obviously much better.

ChaddyP

Smalling Won Players Player of the year that same year. aswel Just because de gea was having to bail us out every match doesnt mean that it was Smallings fault. We play with 4 defenders and a holding mid. Maybe it was the fault if the others why we kept having to rely on BOTH de gea and smalling

Loublaze

ATLien
We'll just agree to disagree. He's been skinned countless times (when not resorting to holding players back or grabbing their shirts). And he really is shite on the ball. There's no way he'd get into all of the top 6 sides, no way. Like I said he performed well for probably half a season over the last couple of years and that's it. I've never said he's been shite or decent just because Jones, Rojo and Bailly have been very good....he's always been an average, functional defender.

But that's just my opinion. If Jose rates him, he'll play and that's all that matters.
Skinned countless times? He's our best defender in 1v1s and he has the most pace which aids him in recovery very well. Please refresh my memory on some of the 'countless' times he's been skinned and don't include the Chelsea game where he played with injury as its been mentioned to death. If the likes of Cahill (Mourinho counted on him at Chelsea) and Stones can get into a top six side then any of our defenders can. Liverpool are second on the table and they don't have a defence. They'd bite our hands off for Smalling.

ottosec

He's got a good year or so under LVg, but in the rest of his United career he's been somewhere between average and garbage.

He was our worst CB this year, whenever he played. That game against Chelsea, where he somehow managed to feck up for all 5 of the Chelsea goals was ridiculous.

Loublaze

ATLien
He's got a good year or so under LVg, but in the rest of his United career he's been somewhere between average and garbage.

He was our worst CB this year, whenever he played. That game against Chelsea, where he somehow managed to feck up for all 5 of the Chelsea goals was ridiculous.
Except they only scored 4. Any other high profile slip ups from Smalling this season or is everyone still upset about the Chelsea game, same way they were after his red against City two years ago?

villain

Hates Beyoncé
Chelsea didn't even score 5 goals.
Smalling wasn't at fault for all the goals.
The entire team was crap that day.
He was playing while injured, which affected his movement.
Chelsea have steamrolled every team pretty convincingly since then - they're clearly a level above everyone else right now.

Smalling had a terrible game, but it's as if he and he alone were the reason we lost that match.

Using 1 game to surmise his ability is bordering on delusion, and thankfully Mourinho isn't as reactive as that.

Kag

Some of the posts in here are hilarious. Smalling has been a very good defender here at United and consistently demonstrated defensive solidity since he arrived. Defending has never, ever been a problem for him, moreso his distribution. Anybody that doesn't recognise that knows nothing about actually defending. Either that, or they've never kicked a ball to any real standard in their life. Patronising, maybe, but Smalling's ability to defend (which has been demonstrated in so many games at United) is beyond debatable.

Mike09

Jose brought him on without hesitation against West Brom after more than a month without any games. It's clear enough to say that Jose still rates him as a player. You don't see too often a player is being used straight away after almost 2 months without match fitness unless if the manager rates him.

m1y2

yeah was injured for the most part, he had a bad game against chelsea but was injured and by that logic mhkitaryan is shit because he didnt perform in the derby too? otherwise he was pretty solid but he hadnt stated much, I am expecting him to come back soon and get back to his world class form which was first part of the season last year, obviously he will go up when the team works much better now than in the last season or the beginning of this...

your posts seem like average to garbage to me, you're talking nonsense

Globule

signature/tagline creator extraordinaire
People have such short memories. I have reservations about Smalling, but he's easily been our best defender the past few seasons. Jones is playing well now, but we always knew he was capable. The issue is how long he can stay fit for. Rojo has also been great in recent games, but most people on here would have wanted him sold up until this recent spell. Should we just forget the past 3 years and judge our players on the past 4 games just because we've won them?

We should probably sell Martial too in that case.

Globule

signature/tagline creator extraordinaire
Jose brought him on without hesitation against West Brom after more than a month without any games. It's clear enough to say that Jose still rates him as a player. You don't see too often a player is being used straight away after almost 2 months without match fitness unless if the manager rates him.
I'd say that's about giving him minutes to get him back up to speed. Bailly is probably going to AFCON and it's only a matter of time before Jones gets injured or Rojo gets sent off :)

royboy16

The moon gave me flowers for funerals to come.
Smalling has it all to do if he wants to get back into the first 11 in that he has a new manager and he's played very little under him.

I thought he was one of our better defenders under LVG but he has to start again and prove he's good enough for JM's team as we are set up differently to LVG.

pseudo_canadian

People thinking he should leave/sell him are talking absolute nonsense.

Do they forget how immense he was for us last season? Mourinho definitely rates him, he's not going anywhere.

Besides, it would be beyond stupid to sell him anyway.

Jaybomb

Except they only scored 4. Any other high profile slip ups from Smalling this season or is everyone still upset about the Chelsea game, same way they were after his red against City two years ago?
One penalty was enough for 75,000 people to boo Fellaini while he was warming up.

Being at fault for all 4 goals against one of your biggest rivals is a pretty good valid reason to think someone is a complete liability in my eyes.

And a lot of his mistakes go under the radar. If you watch him closely, you'll see he was at fault for a few of our goals last season. Either due to poor marking, poor positioning or getting out-jumped in headers. When LVG gave him the captains armband, everyone got this idea into their head that he was geniunely a great player... but he isn't.

And lets not forget, he nearly cost us the FA Cup by getting stupidly sent off in the final. And he also cost De Gea his Golden Glove by scoring a stupid own goal. Couple all that with his geniune clumsiness, lack of actual football ability and football brain and you got yourself one big liability.

Jaybomb

If we tried to sell,he'd attract a lot of attention from our rivals.
Like West Ham, Stoke, Everton, etc.

Jonny Evans was a better defender and all he got was a move to West Brom.

Loublaze

ATLien
One penalty was enough for 75,000 people to boo Fellaini while he was warming up
Like West Ham, Stoke, Everton, etc.

Jonny Evans was a better defender and all he got was a move to West Brom.
You're a big joker aren't you? That wasn't the first time Fellaini was booed at OT. He was even booed in a preseason friendly before and he was also the subject of sarcastic cheers when he was subbed against West Ham in a league gamejust this March under LVG. He's not a popular player. Smalling has had two terrible games in two years and one was only because of a stupid red card (City and Chelsea obviously).

Liverpool would snap our fingers off for him, look at their defence its non existent. Wenger is also a known long time admirer of Smalling and Fergie himself admitted to beating them to his contract and he felt like it was revenge for them stealing Ramsey under Uniteds noses. He'd play for any of our rivals. Chelsea have calamity Luiz and Cahill FFS

RedPed

Whatabouter.
One penalty was enough for 75,000 people to boo Fellaini while he was warming up.

Being at fault for all 4 goals against one of your biggest rivals is a pretty good valid reason to think someone is a complete liability in my eyes.

And a lot of his mistakes go under the radar. If you watch him closely, you'll see he was at fault for a few of our goals last season. Either due to poor marking, poor positioning or getting out-jumped in headers. When LVG gave him the captains armband, everyone got this idea into their head that he was geniunely a great player... but he isn't.

And lets not forget, he nearly cost us the FA Cup by getting stupidly sent off in the final. And he also cost De Gea his Golden Glove by scoring a stupid own goal. Couple all that with his geniune clumsiness, lack of actual football ability and football brain and you got yourself one big liability.
Don't forget costing us the Manchester derby a few years back and his manhandling Mitrovic to concede a penalty against Newcastle. But he's still our best defender ffs! No chance!

villain

Hates Beyoncé
In fact it doesn't even make much sense to continually come in a thread about one of our players if all you can do is say negative things because you personally don't rate him.

I don't rate Darmian but I won't spend my time talking about how much better Valencia and Shaw are.

If you don't like Smalling whats the point in continuing to tell us you think he's shite?

The manager doesn't think so, and as long as that's the case and as long as he's at our club surely its more productive to support our players and celebrate the amount of depth and competition we have in defence?

Loublaze

ATLien
Don't forget costing us the Manchester derby a few years back and his manhandling Mitrovic to concede a penalty against Newcastle. But he's still our best defender ffs! No chance!
Like Vidic wasn't known for pulling shirts. He was the worst offender by far in recent memory at United to do that. He even did it twice against Torres and twice saw red in games United eventually lost to Liverpool. He also hacked Hazard down in a similar way to see red...more reds than many top defenders at this club in a while but we mostly talk about the good he did that outweighed the bad. The same case with Smalling but you choose to only see the negative. So you can only come up with a game from 2 full years ago and one where he played injured. Bravo! The beast will be back

Status
Not open for further replies.