Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

m1y2

I was being sarcastic. I don't really spend my time looking for Smalling's mistakes.

When I get to watch a game, and I often can't it should be said, he always has a brainfart moment it seems.

I've been reading that Bailly was all over the place and Smallinng did well to cover him. People have said it was an uncharacteristic performance from Bailly. If it was Smalling who was all over the place people wouldn't be saying the samw thing because it would be expected at least in some sense.

This whole idea of an agenda against Smalling came about when I said we should sell him while we can still get a good price and replace him with someone much more solid and reliable.

He's 27 and should be at his peak and quite likely is. Whatever his form he will always marred by inconsistencies and cannot and never will be considered a world class defender which a club like United should have. He's the defensive version of Barthez.

Just think about our central defenders over the years and compare Smalling to them. It's laughable that this is even up for discussion.
what a load of bollocks

Loublaze

ATLien
One more thing. A few here have made disparaging remarks about Smalling's ball skills and I beg to differ. If you want to see uncertainty on the ball from a CB, just go back and watch replays of Jonny Evans mucking about with the pill! Now HE scared me to fecking death every time the ball was passed to him!

I agree Smalling's gangly physique makes him look a little ungainly with the ball but for big man he rarely miscontrols it and usually distributes a decent, easy to control pass ... just what you'd want form a CB.

Under previous management he was even given license to roam forward and did so with good effect, albeit often leaving us weak at the back when the ball was eventually lost. That means to me, some managers saw & appreciated his ball skills and thought it was a good idea for him to skip the midfielders. (Not saying they were right to encourage that)
Jose on the other hand recognizes Smalling is no Beckenbauer (and that we don't need him to be) and rightly seems to have asked him to pretty much cut that out of his game and yes, we're a better team for it.
Good post.

Blackburn 1:2 Man Utd

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Thought he was poor for the goal, both him and Rojo made out to look like idiots, altough I was more disappointed with Smalling's reaction, he was too slow to react.

Did well for rest of the game though. How many games in a row has he started now? Jose obviously doesn't rate him and will sell him as soon as possible.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Yeah it was really slow reactions from Smalling but I don't think he expected Rojo to get rinsed like that. Some finish from Graham though

sizzling sausages

Thinks TBP is a soft tagline whore
Scout
He was asleep for the goal, really poor. Was decent besides that though, especially towards the end.

Sylar

Yeah it was really slow reactions from Smalling but I don't think he expected Rojo to get rinsed like that. Some finish from Graham though
I blame Smalling moreso. Rojo came out into a position he shouldnt have been, but was there cos he had to go with the player. But was just beaten by a great pass. Smalling however was asleep and not awake (and should be on his toes all the time)

He was decent, but Im hoping he doesnt play against Chelsea in the FA Cup.

Bwuk

Switched off for the goal. Rojo should of done better though, but Smalling has to anticipate that.

Dobbs

Is it me or does he look a little slower, a little less athletic? His strength used to be one on one. You'd nearly always back him. Nowadays I don't.

He also lacks that confidence and the authority the very best defenders have. You can win a league with Smalling but I'm not sure he's good enough to do the business against the very best in ECL.

ti vu

Is it me or does he look a little slower, a little less athletic? His strength used to be one on one. You'd nearly always back him. Nowadays I don't.

He also lacks that confidence and the authority the very best defenders have. You can win a league with Smalling but I'm not sure he's good enough to do the business against the very best in ECL.
He is assigned a new role recently as a sweeper. The team today definitely were asked to play slower and on second gear, which for someone who thrive on physical attributes like Smalling, it's not ideal.

Smalling's tendency to drop deeper and be one man offside trap is worrying. Has been happening quite few times already even in games where he was solid all round & couldn't cover for his own issue.

Look at this goal. The criticism is not when the pass was played to the scorer, but at the very beginning of the play when Rojo (then Carrick, who was poor & sluggish in the first half) was pulled off, shouldn't Smalling try keeping the defensive shape and stay compact? He just kept back pedalling until too late.

Last edited:

Brophs

The One and Only
I like him a lot and he seems a decent lad, but imho it's now pretty rare to watch him play and not see him make a pretty big error that could easily lead to us conceding. It's a shame given the early promise, but I think we just need a better centre half in there. If he's willing to be a squad player then great.

OneUnited24

He does look like hes lost a yard or two. I'm not sure if its because hes still getting over his injury or that we dont play as compact as we did with LvG so hes more exposed but he hasnt been good this season.

Also he always seems to have that one moment in games where he loses his man or doesnt ever read where the ball might go. I think it was against MB where everyone in OT could tell you where that flick on was going to go but he was stood ball watching.

Dobbs

He does look like hes lost a yard or two. I'm not sure if its because hes still getting over his injury or that we dont play as compact as we did with LvG so hes more exposed but he hasnt been good this season.

Also he always seems to have that one moment in games where he loses his man or doesnt ever read where the ball might go. I think it was against MB where everyone in OT could tell you where that flick on was going to go but he was stood ball watching.
Yeah agree.

I don't want to sound too critical but looking a few steps ahead I don't see him being the centre back when we become a real force in Europe.

The years haven't added the authority I expected.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
I like him a lot and he seems a decent lad, but imho it's now pretty rare to watch him play and not see him make a pretty big error that could easily lead to us conceding. It's a shame given the early promise, but I think we just need a better centre half in there. If he's willing to be a squad player then great.
We've got too many of those. I'd rather keep Jones as a squad option than Smalling. If Wenger wants him, he can have him.

Loublaze

ATLien
He was immense at the end when he won something like 4 straight headers back to back. Mourinho really doesn't rate him :D

Ekeke

Look at this goal. The criticism is not when the pass was played to the scorer, but at the very beginning of the play when Rojo (then Carrick, who was poor & sluggish in the first half) was pulled off, shouldn't Smalling trying keep the defensive shape and stay compact? He just kept back pedalling until too late.
Yes he should have been.
Just like Rojo attempted 4 tackles on Emnes and failed each time, he should have only committed if he could get there.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
Yeah, Jones is really reliable for a squad player, great idea.
No need to be snidey.

I should expand on my post lest someone else decides to pass a sarcastic remark.

Quality wise, injuries not withstanding, I'd rather take Jones as a third centre back than Smalling. He commits fewer mistakes and is better on the ball. He can even do a job in defensive midfielder as a sole destroyer. It's not a knock on Smalling. I just prefer Jones.

Amar__

Supports
MK Dons
No need to be snidey.

I should expand on my post lest someone else decides to pass a sarcastic remark.

Quality wise, injuries not withstanding, I'd rather take Jones as a third centre back than Smalling. He commits fewer mistakes and is better on the ball. He can even do a job in defensive midfielder as a sole destroyer. It's not a knock on Smalling. I just prefer Jones.
Apart from his few months run of form, he was always making more mistakes than Smalling, so I disagree anyway. He actually made few mistakes in his second stint this year anyway, then had an excellent game only to end up injured again.

But his injury record alone is enough to never believe him to be a good squad player, he simply isn't reliable to stay fit, and is injured whenever we need him. Last night is another example, we could use a CB to rest Smalling who played pretty much every game since he's back, but Jones is not there.

Ainu

I still get the feeling he makes at least an error per game and he's often nervous and panicky. His judgement when to stand off and when to commit is questionable. I don't like him as a starter.

izec

Rojo, Jones and Smalling are all squad players as it stands, not one of them is good enough or fit enough to be a starter for most games and challenging for trophies.

Smalling will get you good games with regular errors here and there. His game yesterday was a good representative normal performance over the course of the season

Amar__

Supports
MK Dons
Rojo, Jones and Smalling are all squad players as it stands, not one of them is good enough or fit enough to be a starter for most games and challenging for trophies.

Smalling will get you good games with regular errors here and there. His game yesterday was a good representative normal performance over the course of the season
1 costly mistake in about ten games?

Better defenders do worse than that.

Red Dreams

Across the Universe....from Old Trafford.
No need to be snidey.

pretty much agree with this. Smalling will be gone in the summer I feel.

m1y2

I still get the feeling he makes at least an error per game and he's often nervous and panicky. His judgement when to stand off and when to commit is questionable. I don't like him as a starter.
it's just a feeling then, he hasn't made a single significant error since coming back just last game against bburn.

I agree with the second part though, he should be more decisive and showed he can be last season, just need to get his confidence back and will be great again, despite that mistake he seemed very good again. If we want to improve we might wanna sell Jones who is injury prone and sign someone world class but I still believe that any of the four can step up and make our defense great again, it's not going to be Vidic-Ferdinand but our defensive record looks good lately, mistakes happen to better defenders. I wonder what Barcelona fans thing about Pique and co after that heavy defeat agains PSG, they make mistakes too and are considered worldies...

Shimo

Smalling will be here next season. Maybe under a different manager he might get sold but, he is our best defender in the air and he defends very well one on one, is quick and strong - all the traits Mourinho seems to want over the constant calls for ball playing wizard CB. Started the season as first choice and unless he gets injured, it looks very much like he will finish the season the same.

Should / could have done better for the goal but, then so should a few other players but, he was solid throughout and strong in the end when needed. Same as on Thursday when Baily started of real shaky.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Should be interesting to see if Rojo partners him following Bailly's performance today.

Grunge

So far away I get up 4am to just watch Utd on TV
Thought he was poor for the goal, both him and Rojo made out to look like idiots, altough I was more disappointed with Smalling's reaction, he was too slow to react.
I would beg to differ and place the bulk of the blame on Rojo who was seriously ineffective and left for dead before a very clever ball through that caught Smalling on his heels. Credit the pass more than fault Smalling

Did well for rest of the game though. How many games in a row has he started now? Jose obviously doesn't rate him and will sell him as soon as possible.
:lol:

Rossa

If he didn't look like he had the tics, he would be regarded as a much better player. He looks so uncomfortable at times, as if his heart rate is going through the roof, but his actual performances would say otherwise. He's an ugly defender, but I much prefer his no nonsense approach to that of the aesthetic Stones, for instance.

Looks to be our best CB in terms of actual defending atm.

Amar__

Supports
MK Dons
We have 7 clean sheets in his last 10 starts, playing with different partners(including the keepers too) all over the defence.

One poor reaction for the goal in the FA cup was enough for people to start doubting him again. Not the best defender ever, but the undeserved criticism he gets for some things is ridiculous. I have seen just one or two posters admitting they were wrong for criticising him so much.

blitz133w

I am starting to really dislike Smalling. I have no problems with his no nonsense defending but he just looks so clumsy with the ball. Unless it's a 5 yard pass forward or a side pass to the other defender, he just doesn't know to play with the ball. Ridiculously surprising at this level of football. You just know he's gonna lose the ball if he attempts anything else. In all his years at the club, I doubt he has completed a single decent long ball but that doesn't stop him from hoofing it nowhere all the time. No world class team would want to have a player like him in their squad. Being comfortable with the ball under slight pressure is bare minimum you'd expect from any professional footballer. Compare him to Bailly or Blind who are so composed and brilliant with the ball for a defender. If only we could combine player abilities somehow.

As a defender, he doesn't even pose too much threat during set pieces. I had so much expectations from Jones and Smalling but they've been nothing short of disappointing. I would sell them both once we get hold of better CBs.

SiamDevil

He's an ugly defender
That's gotta be it. He looks crap, and sometimes that's all some people need to judge a player.

Also, if it was him who got sent off tonight, I bet none of his doubters would question the ref.

Amar__

Supports
MK Dons
I am starting to really dislike Smalling. I have no problems with his no nonsense defending but he just looks so clumsy with the ball. Unless it's a 5 yard pass forward or a side pass to the other defender, he just doesn't know to play with the ball. Ridiculously surprising at this level of football. You just know he's gonna lose the ball if he attempts anything else. In all his years at the club, I doubt he has completed a single decent long ball but that doesn't stop him from hoofing it nowhere all the time. No world class team would want to have a player like him in their squad. Being comfortable with the ball under slight pressure is bare minimum you'd expect from any professional footballer. Compare him to Bailly or Blind who are so composed and brilliant with the ball for a defender. If only we could combine player abilities somehow.

As a defender, he doesn't even pose too much threat during set pieces. I had so much expectations from Jones and Smalling but they've been nothing short of disappointing. I would sell them both once we get hold of better CBs.
Entire post is agenda driven, but the bolded part says it all. Our only defender, apart from Blind, who has scored any goals(2 in all comp), gets criticised for lacking goal threat. Rojo, Jones, Bailly, Darmian, Valencia, Shaw, Young, are all on 0 goals this season in all competitions. Yet for some reason Smalling is the only one criticised for lack of goals. :lol:

Last year also, Smalling had 3 goals, Rojo, Jones, Valencia, Shaw all had 0, and Darmian and Young had 1 each.

But yeah, let's blame Smalling.

Acole9

Outstanding
I know I'm going to get stick for this but for me he was man of the match. Didn't put a foot wrong all night.

Sylar

I thought he played well as a defender. My gripe will always be distribution for him. But then again, he did come up from non league right? So maybe that was never a worry in terms of coaching and it was always a case of safety first, when in doubt, etc. He does like to get the ball, and do a whole 180 degree turn to pass it to the keeper to get rid of instead of being confident himself (or the times he runs into space, and then... turns back to pass it).
Maybe its a confidence thing?

Anyway, a good solid game I thought from him.

Status
Not open for further replies.