Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Skills

Snitch
Will probably captain us on Sunday, hopefully first of many finals to come :drool:

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Holy feck balls, I searched that ridiculous name and 4 pages came back as matches :eek:
People forget how good Smalling was in his first season with us. He got a run of games at centreback and was absolutely brilliant. Looked like he wasn't just ready to cover for Rio and Vidic, but that he was already ready to start pushing them for the starting role (Rio's injuries were starting to drop his performances).

Unfortunately he spent the next three or four seasons generally injured, playing at right back, or just on the bench behind the big two, so he never really got a run of games to reach that level again.

It's why I wasn't surprised at all when he was so good last season, when he finally got that run of games as first choice. He's always had that incredible defensive ability. Unfortunately his form did fall away in the second half of the season, but I never had any doubt he would reclaim first choice role again this season.

Of course his pass completion rate is going to be high if he only passes to the GK or another player within 2m of him. Any attempts further than that usually go wayward and his composure goes completely out the window when pressed by an opponent.
He's probably been our best central defensive passer the last few games. Partly because he's been better lately than what he had been previously, and partly because Bailly's passing has been a bit off. I was deliberately taking notice of how it was going in our last match, and he was generally being both more 'forward' with his passing than Bailly, and more accurate with those forward passes. Bailly and Rojo on their day are certainly better passers. But Smalling 'looks' worse than what he actually is with the way he moves his entire body around to make a pass.

Mike09

I remember Smallling was praised a lot for his ability on the ball when we signed him. CAF even coined the term "Smallingbauer" because of how comfortable he was on the ball.
His passings were pretty good in 2014/2015 season. He's definitely not the worst passer for a PL centre back in my opinion.

ChaddyP

I love how some posters have basically figured we will win the trophy and are now debating which of our players will be the one to lift it and not if we will be lifting it at all :lol:

Southampton 2:3 Man Utd

Bogga

A thing about him that really annoys me is that he never passes the ball in front of the player. It's always on the player so he has to stop and wait for it or behind so he have to turn around. It just destroys any small possibility to gather some pace and move up the field

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
He has been so, so so bad today. Every pass is too slow or misplaced, he keeps playing a terrible line and has basically not defended any situation.

It's ridiculous that he's our captain imo.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
He has been so, so so bad today. Every pass is too slow or misplaced, he keeps playing a terrible line and has basically not defended any situation.

Literally every other player in the back four is having a worst game thus far.

Kag

He's won the majority of balls in the box while Bailly has been running around like a madman. Rojo being an atrocious left back also doesn't help his cause.

Bogga

Strange time to criticise given he's the only defender that hasn't played like a halfwit.
I never said he was worthless, but it hit me when we had possession and the ball never seemed to pass the halfway line...

villain

Hates Beyoncé

Jesus.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
He'd improve a lot in my book immediately if his first thought wasn't to boot the ball asap. Plenty of times when he does so with Pogba as an option close by.

SkeppyRed

Lineups Game Winner 2012/13
Won some important headers.

On the other hand he's the captain yet far from a leader. His unit of our team is all over the place, it's a mess. It's about time he stepped and start commanding the defence. Yet to see exactly why he is the captain of man united.

It's pretty harsh that I'm blaming him for others being poor but it's how I feel.

Alexrad

Supports
Red Star Belgrade
Strange time to criticise given he's the only defender that hasn't played like a halfwit.
What game are you watching...He was pretty bad, although the entire back 4 was as well. Also thing with him is that even when he looks decent/good his passing is so appalling that it's simply not worth it...Today again he had some shocking decisions when any other CB with at least some semblance of passing ability would have been able to start some dangerous attacks...He's literally robbing us from having at least extra 4-5 good attacking setups per game every time.

El Jefe

He's a one man defence out there today.

The others need to get their shit together.

All 3 United

His tinfoil hat protects him from the Glazers.
He let his man go for the goal that wants given (yes rojo was shocking too) and he let him go again for the goal that was given, resulting in him marking nobody. (again rojo also at fault).

His positioning is his biggest liability and it causes the rest of the defence huge problems. Take him off out rojo at LCB and put blind at left back.

El Jefe

He let his man go for the goal that wants given (yes rojo was shocking too) and he let him go again for the goal that was given, resulting in him marking nobody. (again rojo also at fault).

His positioning is his biggest liability and it causes the rest of the defence huge problems. Take him off out rojo at LCB and put blind at left back.
This is the Smalling thread mate.

Think you're looking for the Bailly one.

Kag

What game are you watching...He was pretty bad. Also thing with him is that even when he looks decent/good his passing is so appaling that it's simply not worth it...Today again he had some shocking decisions when any other CB with at least some semblance of passing ability would have been able to start some dangerous attacks...
The same one as you. I just get defending that bit more. You're wittering on about his passing ability, which everybody knows is shite, even though he's won numerous headers in the six yard box, made several blocks from crosses and is playing with Bailly and Rojo, who between them look as if they've just sank a bottle of voddy in the dressing room before coming out to play.

I want my defenders to defend, and Smalling is the only defender who has even tried to do this today. Yet the same people bleat on about his passing even though it hasn't cost us a jot.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
Just have to disagree. Half the reason we look so ropy is that he's playing attackers on side when he shouldn't, stepping up when he shouldn't and has missed a couple headers entirely. Plus, of course, his distribution makes Fellaini look like Pirlo.

Rojo has been awful too, but he's not a LB. Smalling is supposedly the captain of not just the defence, but the whole team!

Ekeke

What game are you watching...He was pretty bad, although the entire back 4 was as well. Also thing with him is that even when he looks decent/good his passing is so appalling that it's simply not worth it...Today again he had some shocking decisions when any other CB with at least some semblance of passing ability would have been able to start some dangerous attacks...He's literally robbing us from having extra 4-5 good attacking setups per game every time.
Its amazing that so many people can watch half a game, where our defending is poor, and moan about a CBs passing be slightly too negative or not having the crispness of Xavi's passing.

Whats next, Ibrahimovic's tackling?

How about you focus on whats actually hurting us in defence, the inability for Rojo to put in a proper tackle one vs one, the poor defensive tracking of Bailly and so on.

Status
Not open for further replies.