Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

drdoityourself

They were all pretty bad, he defended the best for me.

But when teams press the midfield and they have to pass back to the defence, it's vital to have some composure on the ball and show ability to keep possession. He freezes every time, seems to take an extra second to set himself, can't pick a pass and has to make a pass back under pressure to de Gea, who'll have to kick it clear and we lose possession.

So the pressure seems non stop, when Bailly is just hoofing it like today, and Smalling passes back to de Gea for the clearance.

Bwuk

The second Southampton goal was a perfect example of why Smalling isn't and never will be the world class defender some on here think he is. His first instinct is to grab the striker, and not attack the ball. He panics too much. Needs to be more proactive rather than reactive, his athleticism helps him tremendously to react, but at times lacks the brain to be more proactive.

It's weird with Smalling. When he first came here he was brilliant, he looked like the new Ferdinand as he was excellent playing a sweeper role. He's lost that and he's not the player he was, or looked like he could be.

Didn't help that Rojo is dross at left back, and Bailly has been poor since he came back from Africa.

Sylar

This might seem weird but he kinda reminds me of Fellaini but as a CB. Generally does a job but kinda causes an issue for others around him. Doesnt like to pass it forward (ends up either going sideways or doing a whole 180 turn to pass it back to DDG to deal with). And when he does pass the ball there isnt much movement to get into space.

From watching him on TV and at the stadium, it seems we tend to be more assured and comfortable when hes not playing, but when he is playing, he seems to be better than those around him.

Jaybomb

I must have been watching a completely different game cause Smalling was rubbish today.

We're always shaky at the back with him in there. Always.

We should have played Rojo at CB and Blind at LB. Smalling has done feck all to nail down a Starting place since coming back in. We've been leaking goals where as we looked strong at the back when Rojo/Jones were there.

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
So incredibly negative on the ball. Would love to know how much of his passes went back/sideways today. I'm a big fan of his defending but he's a donkey on the ball. Just doesn't seem to have confidence in himself so he just passes it to someone else who's under pressure just so he can avoid putting in an adventurous pass.

sizzling sausages

Thinks TBP is a soft tagline whore
Scout
I must have been watching a completely different game cause Smalling was rubbish today.

We should have played Rojo at CB and Blind at LB. Smalling has done feck all to nail down a Starting place since coming back in. We've been leaking goals where as we looked strong at the back when Rojo/Jones were there.
We had conceded 1 goal in 10 and a half hours before today. It's still only 3 goals in 12 hours now.

ti vu

Best of a rocky backline - he's not playing great to be fair.
Same thought. Since everything is very much a shamble today, I don't go at length to analysis everything just repeat my previous point I made several time about Smalling, he doesn't use the system/ organize the defense enough. He tried to take too much on himself. The wrongly disallowed goal is what I am talking here: Step up and play offside with the team. Gambling to anticipate the cross on your own ain't working. Work with your partner instead.

Too good mood to stuck with the negative, onto Zlatan thread, our best defender of day...

James_42

Now that Rooney is out of the team, Smalling has replaced him as the player to blame whenever anything goes wrong even if he wasn't at fault. I see people blaming Smalling for Rojo and Bailly's disappointing performances, what a joke.

stevoc

Have you actually watched United recently mate?

We haven't been leaking goals at all.

The Mitcher

connoisseur of pot noodles and sandwiches
How was smalling crap? Because he didn't do enough on their second? That was basically his only mistake. While the rest of the back four had poor games, he was the only one who actually had a decent game out of all them. Cleared most of the crosses and corners, and was the only one I could trust that could deal with them because Valencia and Rojo certainly weren't. If Bailey and the full backs did their jobs today he perhaps wouldn't have had to do most of the defending as he usually has to do. People just have agendas as usual. @Jaybomb sums up this agenda posting perfectly, mentions since Smalling has entered the team we've apparently "leaked goals" yet we've only conceded 3 in 12 hours. How is that leaking goals? Do you actually watch any of our matches? Because something suggests to me that you don't.

Jaybomb

Have you actually watched United recently mate?

We haven't been leaking goals at all.
We let 2 in today and the Hull game which ended our unbeaten run.

We keep playing Smalling, we concede more goals like the second one today. It's inevitable.

That wasn't his only bad bit either... there was a point during the match where he tried to clear the ball on the volley and he scuffed it and nearly let one of their players in. Rojo bailed him out and then he made a tackle afterwards... how anyone feels confident seeing his name on the team sheet is beyond me.

The back line was shaky because of him. Because of Smalling, Rojo was playing at LB. Smalling and Bailly also have no chemistry together. The only CB Smalling is good with, is Blind. And thats because Blind read the game better than the rest of them.

sizzling sausages

Scout

We keep playing Smalling, we concede more goals like the second one today. It's inevitable.

That wasn't his only bad bit either... there was a point during the match where he tried to clear the ball on the volley and he scuffed it and nearly let one of their players in. Rojo bailed him out and then he made a tackle afterwards... how anyone feels confident seeing his name on the team sheet is beyond me.

The back line was shaky because of him. Because of Smalling, Rojo was playing at LB. Smalling and Bailly also have no chemistry together. The only CB Smalling is good with, is Blind. And thats because Blind read the game better than the rest of them.
What about the 6 clean sheets in the 7 games between the Hull second leg and today? Not surprised you're ignoring them. We've conceded 5 goals in 9 matches including your examples where we've "leaked goals". I'd be interested to know what the record was for the games where we played a Jones - Rojo partnership, which also had Carrick protecting them in almost every game.

And Rojo bailed him out? :lol: That clearance you're talking about was terrible by Smalling but he won it back himself 2 seconds later without help from anyone.

Loublaze

ATLien

Very surprising assessment from you haha. Smalling has been involved in more clean sheets than any of United's other CBs. 12 clean sheets in 18 games. Rojo is a backup leftback now that Smalling and Bailly are fit. Deal with it

The United

I just don't think he is comfortable at the left side of the cb and never seems to be at his best this season there.

stevoc

What a load of nonsense mate honestly.

Rojo was playing poorly at LB because of Smalling? Yeah right because he's never had a bad game there before. And the the back line was shaky because of Smalling? Jesus he was our best defender today. In the last 8 games since Jones injury and Smalling coming back into the team we have only conceded 3 goals.

Weren't you the guy a few months back who was saying we should sign Fonte as he was better than Smalling and Jones. And we should sell Smalling and if we did the only clubs interested would be the likes of West Ham as thats his level. Remind me mate which club did Fonte sign for again?

Last edited:

MadMike

He deserved to pick it up with the captain's armband. Rooney was just doing a John fecking Terry impression
Thank god I was not the only one who thought that was lame. Smalling captains the side on the pitch but Rooney, who's been a bit part player gets to lift it?

sizzling sausages

Scout
So I just checked the stats for Rojo - Jones and we conceded 8 goals in the 10 games they started as a partnership.

That's apparently a strong defence, while a defence with Smalling in it, without a settled partner and having a midfielder less to protect them in some games, is leaky despite conceding 3 goals less and only playing one game less.

ti vu

Thank god I was not the only one who thought that was lame. Smalling captains the side on the pitch but Rooney, who's been a bit part player gets to lift it?
Yeah, pretty lame. Why not lift it together at least?
So I just checked the stats for Rojo - Jones and we conceded 8 goals in the 10 games they started as a partnership.

That's apparently a strong defence, while a defence with Smalling in it, without a settled partner and having a midfielder less to protect them in some games, is leaky despite conceding 3 goals less and only playing one game less.
If you use stat like that, it's pretty out of context & useless. For example, this game we definitely can concede another legit goal (1) vs L'pool game where the corner leading to penalty was offside (Jones fecked up, I give that) (2). We definitely could have concede (3) against St Etienne in the first leg, but didn't vs we lost a clean sheet vs Sunderland by Borini's wonder strike while we were pretty much comfortable contained them (4). Or how DDG made a rare error & spilled the ball vs West Ham in the EFL in game we utterly dominated & should have kept a clean sheet (5) vs didn't concede with Markovic shot into the post when Smalling being on the field (6)... and so on.

I don't argue against Smalling in this instance, just argue against this out of context stat argument. Smalling on his own would be afforded games which suits him to the T. So would the the other. I hope everyone stay fit so we can have different options in different type of games, especially now when the schedule is only getting busier.

Last edited:

prateik

He should be fined everytime he grabs someones shirt.. Thats the biggest thing that annoys me about him..

Ephrem

Given how baily and rojo were playing I though that was a fantastic performance from smalling !!

Ekeke

Smalling just cant win. No he isnt a World Class CB, but when he performs better than his teammates at CB he deserves appreciation for that.

Robbie Boy

Bailly actually has a higher average rating against Southampton than Smalling - come on guys. That is ridiculous.
I've seen you bring up ratings far too often on here. Are they not pretty meaningless? I never, ever bother checking them and I'm pretty sure a-lot of people who vote, vote completely random numbers.

Anyone with a set of eyes could see that Smalling was better than Bailly yesterday, but I mean, we were all over the shop at the back so it's not exactly a glowing reference.

I didn't think he was rubbish, in fact, he was our best defender yesterday (not saying much). I do however agree with the rest of your post, we looked so much more assured with Jones & Rojo.

As @Pogue Mahone said earlier, Smalling has been involved in all of our defensive horror shows this season, could just be a coincidence though.

Rossa

I've seen you bring up ratings far too often on here. Are they not pretty meaningless? I never, ever bother checking them and I'm pretty sure a-lot of people who vote, vote completely random numbers.

Anyone with a set of eyes could see that Smalling was better than Bailly yesterday, but I mean, we were all over the shop at the back so it's not exactly a glowing reference.
Far too often? I believe I have brought them up two times in Smalling's thread and once in Valencia's. It does show that people have a certain negative view, for fear of using the word agenda, when it comes to certain players. I find it baffling that people who actually watched the match could give Bailly a higher rating, no matter how random their rating was or is. The fact of the matter is that Smalling was OK and Bailly was poor. It's by no means a glowing reference to Smalling, and I think he was disappointing yesterday as he has been good lately. Bailly just needs to regain his form.

RedDevil@84

Smalling as a senior player gets much more flak than Bailly (when both are poor), who is having his first season here and also has done much better than expected till now.
Not so tough to understand.

Robbie Boy

Far too often? I believe I have brought them up two times in Smalling's thread and once in Valencia's. It does show that people have a certain negative view, for fear of using the word agenda, when it comes to certain players. I find it baffling that people who actually watched the match could give Bailly a higher rating, no matter how random their rating was or is. The fact of the matter is that Smalling was OK and Bailly was poor. It's by no means a glowing reference to Smalling, and I think he was disappointing yesterday as he has been good lately. Bailly just needs to regain his form.
My bad then. I could have sworn I've seen you bring up ratings quite a-bit. I think it's a good function on here, but I mean, I never, ever check them when trying to make a point. I honestly have no idea what most are rated this season as I never take any stock of it.

Yeah Smalling was grand and Bailly was poor. I think that's what most are saying, though.

Rossa

My bad then. I could have sworn I've seen you bring up ratings quite a-bit. I think it's a good function on here, but I mean, I never, ever check them when trying to make a point. I honestly have no idea what most are rated this season as I never take any stock of it.

Yeah Smalling was grand and Bailly was poor. I think that's what most are saying, though.
I don't think Smalling was grand though, and I wish he took more control at the back. Pogue mentioned how Rio would boss the defense around, and at that time all our defenders were natural leaders - Neville, Rio, Vidic and Evra, and even VDS in goal. Nobody seems vocal at the back. When Smalling was in Mike-Beast mode, he did look more vocal though. No doubt that Smalling appears better with Blind at LB.

Robbie Boy

I don't think Smalling was grand though, and I wish he took more control at the back. Pogue mentioned how Rio would boss the defense around, and at that time all our defenders were natural leaders - Neville, Rio, Vidic and Evra, and even VDS in goal. Nobody seems vocal at the back. When Smalling was in Mike-Beast mode, he did look more vocal though. No doubt that Smalling appears better with Blind at LB.
Well yeah, he wasn't grand per se, but better than the rest which is saying nothing whatsoever really.

We completely lack leadership at the back. Think back to the days when we had VDS, Neville, Vidic, Rio and Evra at the back. That was a back five with serious leadership. De Gea isn't a leader and none of our defenders are which is definitely a concern. It's all well and good Smalling wearing the armband but I don't see him as a captain whatsoever.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Why couldn't he head the ball properly yesterday? Its usually the thing he's most reliable for.

He also kept letting the ball bounce before dealing with it... really not sure why.

Rossa

Well yeah, he wasn't grand per se, but better than the rest which is saying nothing whatsoever really.

We completely lack leadership at the back. Think back to the days when we had VDS, Neville, Vidic, Rio and Evra at the back. That was a back five with serious leadership. De Gea isn't a leader and none of our defenders are which is definitely a concern. It's all well and good Smalling wearing the armbanc but I don't see him as a captain whatsoever.
Agree with this. Smalling is individually a good enough player, but I think he too needs a leader at the back. Sometimes the sum of all players is more important than their individual attributes. I actually think that Ibra may be our only captain out there, perhaps Herrera? Carrick has many great attributes as a player and team player above all, but I'm not convinced he's a captain - more liutenant ;)

Robbie Boy

Agree with this. Smalling is individually a good enough player, but I think he too needs a leader at the back. Sometimes the sum of all players is more important than their individual attributes. I actually think that Ibra may be our only captain out there, perhaps Herrera? Carrick has many great attributes as a player and team player above all, but I'm not convinced he's a captain - more liutenant ;)
Yeah, I just don't view Smalling as a captain at all but I don't view any of our current defenders as such. Leadership at the back is absolutely vital and it's something that we are sorely lacking, at the moment and it shows, especially when we are under pressure.

Ibra is clearly our biggest influence on the pitch by an absolute mile. No one even comes close to taking that mantel.

Rossa

Why couldn't he head the ball properly yesterday? Its usually the thing he's most reliable for.

He also kept letting the ball bounce before dealing with it... really not sure why.
He wasn't up to his usual standards in terms of heading, I agree. That was what disappointed me the most with his performance yesterday. He didn't get close enough to the opponents to win headers on a couple of occasions, and he normally wins those easily. He improved as the game wore on and was pretty immense in the last 20 minutes, but he needs to stay focused for the full 90.

I have defended his first touch, but last night he had a first touch that resulted in him losing the ball on the edge of the 18 yard box; thankfully, he was able to regain posession and even executed a fine dribble to get the ball clear.

Status
Not open for further replies.