Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

sizzling sausages

Thinks TBP is a soft tagline whore
Scout
He let his man go for the goal that wants given (yes rojo was shocking too) and he let him go again for the goal that was given, resulting in him marking nobody. (again rojo also at fault).

His positioning is his biggest liability and it causes the rest of the defence huge problems. Take him off out rojo at LCB and put blind at left back.
I see where you're coming from here but I'm not sure what else he could've done in either situation. If he stuck to Gabbiadini it would've allowed the player with the ball to run in closer to goal and have a free shot at goal. One of the players who could see the full picture should be letting Smalling know if his positioning is off anyway.

Alexrad

Supports
Red Star Belgrade
The same one as you. I just get defending that bit more. You're wittering on about his passing ability, which everybody knows is shite, even though he's won numerous headers in the six yard box, made several blocks from crosses and is playing with Bailly and Rojo, who between them look as if they've just sank a bottle of voddy in the dressing room before coming out to play.

I want my defenders to defend, and Smalling is the only defender who has even tried to do this today. Yet the same people bleat on about his passing even though it hasn't cost us a jot.
Yes, he defends well (most of the time) but not today. He had few mistakes and lost his player few times. If that Southampton goal wasn't ruled offside it would have been him being one of the main culprits with how easy he lost Gabbiadini. As for his passing...it does cost us and it keeps costing us every god damn game. His inability to pass to save his life is stifling us so much. Opposition players are able to set up differently and exploit it in the way where we have several dangerous attacks less per game due to his issue. It's so bad that having him in the team is not worth it even when he plays perfectly in defense...and that's not the case always which makes it even more of an issue.

::sonny::

Where you can go with players like, him + Bailly + Rojo, 3 no brainer, 6th place players

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
To think that some people believe that we dont need a new cb because we got him? Rojo and the crocked one

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Not sure why he just walked back into the team, should be Rojo at CB, with blind LB.

arnie_ni

This is the Smalling thread mate.

Think you're looking for the Bailly one.
Correct. Bailly was looking at the goal scorer for the disallowed goal and the first goal. He was at fault for both.

The second goal was just a top finish.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
He's been far better than Bailey. But it's fashionable to have a go at Smalling these days.

sizzling sausages

Scout
He winds up literally every action he takes with the ball.

It's really odd.
I put it down to his non league past. It is strange seeing him doing it when he's only making a 5 or 10 yard pass though and I think it makes people think he's even worse with the ball than he actually is.

m1y2

immense in the dying stages, mixed game from the beginning but still managed to stand out of all our defenders today, it was a big mess one can say..

Bogga

He was our best defender today... sadly from today it doesn't say much. He picked up in the second half though... the reason I started the whining was because of his passing, which is his where he lacks the most

Dir Wangem

Didn't do anything wrong today, imo.

He could maybe have done more for their second goal, but that was still a top finish.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
Looked patchy in the beginning of the half, I don't think anyone could've defended that 2nd goal it was a beautiful strike.

In the dying stages he played well, stayed in position and made some good interceptions too. Certainly not the one to blame for the poor defending today.

sizzling sausages

Scout
A little bit disappointed to see that he's handed the armband to Rooney to lift the trophy. Thought they'd lift it together.

Ekeke

Best defender for us, but yes Gabbiadini was his responsibility for the 2nd goal. Although it was a bit of class by the striker.

Ekeke

I just think that's a really good goal, hard to blame anyone.

But feck me, Smalling was the only one in the back 4 with his shit together today in fairness, the rest were awful.
Rojo is way out of position, Smalling is doing the right thing but not perfect at it else he might have been able to nick the ball on the cross. Bailly is ball watching

Mike09

I just think that's a really good goal, hard to blame anyone.

But feck me, Smalling was the only one in the back 4 with his shit together today in fairness, the rest were awful.
I agree with this. The goal was well taken, Smalling already did the right thing to stick closed behind him but sometimes good goal needs applause. Smalling was the one did his stuff properly compared to Bailly and Rojo today.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
His worst performance. At least there's still plenty of games to prove he's worthy that CB slot.

Devil may care

He is so timid for the supposed leader oif the back 4, but hjs individual defending was better than the other 3, but not great.

settembrini

He was our best defender.

Which unfortunately doesn't say much given Rojo was a disaster and Valencia and Bailly both way under par.

AR87

Smalling was the only defender that didn't seem like he was going to crap his pants anytime he was actually defending. I'm not his biggest fan, but some of the reactions in this thread to his performance are way over the top. Imo the real issue is that Bailly isn't in good form right now. Would have much preferred if Rojo had partnered Smalling in the middle and Blind played LB.

stevoc

No idea why he is getting so much criticism today, wasn't his best performance but he was way better than the guys either side of him.

Status
Not open for further replies.