Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
Rio was 27 when Vidic signed and was far more experienced that the current quartet. He improved immeasurably in that partnership.

Revisionism is ignoring what the defence was like pre-Vidic. I remember the corn row twins. They were a laughing stock. Physical strikers bullied the United defence and lapses in concentration were common.

Revisionism is also "Rio was never error prone". As a young player he was basically John Stones. Even if you mean just at United, that isn't true either. He was a talented but inconsistent defender at United until he found an ideal partner in Vidic. I do think Vidic was the better defender but the partnership benefitted both equally.

My point throughout this thread is that there are talented defenders at the club. If they can develop good partnerships and grow in confidence they are certainly good enough to play in title winning teams.
You're doing an incredible disservice to Rio. Stones could only wish to have had the career Rio had at the same age.
Inconsistent? He helped Leeds to Semi Finals of the Champions League, and scored a crucial goal in the 1/4 finals also, became club captain and was a damn good defender at the age of 21/22. Stones is about to turn 23, and can barely defend when he's pressed.

Rostov 1:1 Man Utd

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Always a mistake in him or some sort of lapse of concentration. You can say he's a top class defender just cause he defends well for the most of the game. Only takes one feck up and it's usually his fault.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
Always a mistake in him or some sort of lapse of concentration. You can say he's a top class defender just cause he defends well for the most of the game. Only takes one feck up and it's usually his fault.
It was Jones' man. Jones let the guy run straight past him on to the ball.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
He's a below average player in general, sell him in the summer without question.

Paxi

It was Jones' man. Jones let the guy run straight past him on to the ball.

He was just as culpable for that. He was out of position by 3-4 yards which gave space for Bukharov to run into. Elementary mistake. Why is he not holding a line when the ball is 40-50 yards away? Shocking.

arnie_ni

He was just as culpable for that. He was out of position by 3-4 yards which gave space for Bukharov to run into. Elementary mistake. Why is he not holding a line when the ball is 40-50 yards away? Shocking.
He did hold this line. Jones dropped back in playing his man onside. Everyone else was in line with Smalling.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
And where was his big mistake today then?

Skills

Snitch
I really pity some of you, who seem to invest so much in this game but lack the minimum amount of aptitude you need to really 'get it'.

It's like people who end up on an engineering degree who can't do basic algebra.

tom33

No chance, Jones takes like 95% of the blame for that one.

Bubz27

No he wasn't. Jones dropped and didn't follow his man.

Paxi

Where's his mistake this game?
He did hold this line. Jones dropped back in playing his man onside. Everyone else was in line with Smalling.
And where was his big mistake today then?
Don't think he done anything wrong for the goal. Jones on the other hand...
No chance, Jones takes like 95% of the blame for that one.
No he wasn't. Jones dropped and didn't follow his man.
That was 100% Jones' fault.
It was Jones.
You are incorrect. I'd love to see an image when the ball was played with where you think he should've been.
Okay fair enough. I've seen it again and Jones let's him run into space. Doesn't look like Smalling is doing anything wrong. I must admit, I'm not a big Smalling fan so I guess at times I see what I want to see when it comes to Smalling. But yeah I admit I was wrong.

Robbie Boy

Okay fair enough. I've seen it again and Jones let's him run into space. Doesn't look like Smalling is doing anything wrong. I must admit, I'm not a big Smalling fan so I guess at times I see what I want to see when it comes to Smalling. But yeah I admit I was wrong.
Fair play :)

settembrini

Blaming Smalling for that goal is ridiculous, it was clearly Jones at fault. It's like when he got blamed for Pedro's goal at Chelsea when Blind made about three mistakes in two seconds to let the man he was marking score.

tom33

Fair play for not being stubborn about it, haha! I like Smalling and Jones, but don't get me wrong, I'm far from convinced that they're good enough!

Rossa

For that goal. He was out of position. Which allowed the striker to run right through the middle.
He wasn't even close to being out of position. If you look at Rojo, he is actually sprinting to the left - they held their positions well. Jones fecked up - that simple, but it was a good pass.

Mike09

Always there is someone in line to blame Smalling even though it wasn't his fault.

Rossa

Smalling has actually had a very good game, from what I've seen (didn't see first 35 minutes of the first half), and has made some important tackles inside the box.

Phil

Ha, sorry if it felt like we all jumped on you for that.

Paxi

Fair play for not being stubborn about it, haha! I like Smalling and Jones, but don't get me wrong, I'm far from convinced that they're good enough!

Yeah I mean I don't hate him or anything. Just from the first replay it looked like he just let him stroll on through but yeah it was Jones's fault 100%

I still standby that we need another CB this summer though.

Robbie Boy

He wasn't even close to being out of position. If you look at Rojo, he is actually sprinting to the left - they held their positions well. Jones fecked up - that simple, but it was a good pass.
Aye, he said in a later post he seen it again and it was Jones' fault.

Bubz27

Fair play.

Skills

Snitch
Blaming Smalling for that goal is ridiculous, it was clearly Jones at fault. It's like when he got blamed for Pedro's goal at Chelsea when Blind made about three mistakes in two seconds to let the man he was marking score.
It's borderline moronic. I mean watching that, if my first instinct decided that Smalling was the one at fault I'd be reconsidering my choice of hobby. Probably to some art-farty shit, where you can talk crap without being proved wrong.

Robbie Boy

Saw that, but alas, I was too late to notice, and then I'm much too lazy to edit my posts, except for the times where I've realized I've been an utter tool, but this wasn't one of those times.
Poor chap must have had about 10 alerts after his post with every single one of them disagreeing :lol:

Paxi

It's borderline moronic. I mean watching that, if my first instinct decided that Smalling was the one at fault I'd be reconsidering my choice of hobby. Probably to some art-farty shit, where you can talk crap without being proved wrong.
Listen I said Smalling was just as culpable for it first time I saw. I was wrong. It happens.

Robbie Boy

I applaud you for that. Most posters when they realize they are wrong just vacate the thread for some time.
It's actually far more amusing when a lone soldier refuses to accept that they were wrong and battles on against everyone. Makes for some funny reading.

Rossa

Poor chap must have had about 10 alerts after his post with every single one of them disagreeing :lol:
That would suck! I've made some pretty stupid comments myself, but the pitch forks haven't been out in such great numbers like that one - it was blatantly wrong though. Good to see people admitting they are wrong.

tom33

No need to be like that about it, the guy has admitted he was wrong and we can't all be as very smart as you.

Status
Not open for further replies.