g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });
Chris Smalling image 12

Chris Smalling England flag

2016-17 Performances

View full 2016-17 profile

5.6 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaybomb

Can't believe some people are still content with this buffoon. Look at that "clearance" and tell me he's good enough to be starting for the biggest team in England.

Absolute bollocks.

Between him and Jones, I was bricking it when I saw Middleborough were chasing the equaliser. Any other ref would have probably gave that penalty and that would be another game Smalling and Jones cost us.

They got away with it today. It would have likely ended 2-2 if Valdes didn't slip cause these two cannot cope with the pressure. They're a anxious mess. Especially Smalling.

When are we gonna use our money to sign a top class experienced CB? We need to get someone like Godin, Chiellini, Pique, etc. Anyone is available with the right wage packet.

MadMike

Terrible mistake, but he was the best defender on the pitch otherwise. His positioning and aerial ability are great. But when the ball comes at his feet he panics big time.

flappyjay

I think his defending is generally great and I think our defenders come in for a lot more criticism than they should, Smalling included. We concede few goals and don't score enough. So, while I appreciate the constant need to improve, I don't think central defence is particularly urgent. Defenders make mistakes and teams concede goals. I think that gets forgotten at times.
We should have been leading by atleast three goals when the mistake happened

Sylar

He's done that before - trying to clear it with his right when he should've used his left. I remember Neville criticizing him for it last season.
Yep. I think hes scored an OG (was it against Everton in the FA Cup?) by doing the same thing. Its worrying that hes our captain and pretty much the heart of our defence esp in a back three.

The worrying thing is that he can be good, but then when you really need him to stand up he makes a mistake like that, on something that should be basic because hes not confident in going with the other foot.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
It's been good for the past two seasons. They're just not the problem. If you look at the difference in goals for and goals against under Ferguson, Moyes, Van Gaal and now Mourinho, the reason behind our struggles can be attributed to the goals for column. The goals against stays roughly the same, and in line with the other top sides in the league.
Yeah, defensive errors are easier to remember and stay in our minds more easily, I think that's why a lot of fans give our respective defenders a harder time. But plenty of our attackers have missed open/easy chances that under Fergie the equivalent striker would have put away. That's what we're lacking first and foremost.

VanGaalEra

He's fecking frightened of a football!!

What really annoys me is that he was having a good game up till the point. Not sure how much longer we can keep saying he just needs to cut out the odd mistake because it happens to often.

MadMike

We should have been leading by atleast three goals when the mistake happened
We shouldn't have invited so much pressure either. Boro put 2 strikers up after 2-0 and we switched to playing 6 defenders, which inveitably leads to many balls in the box. It's just asking for a mistake to happen.

Not excusing Smalling, just stating the obvious.

AN17

Don't care if he looked commanding, he has always bricked it under pressure, always costing us because he is too dumb and fragile at the crucial moments. Needs to be replaced.

WhoDaGOAT

He is generally strong in the air. He wins most of his aerial duels. But the rest of his game is not up to the standard that's required.

From both a physical and athletic aspect, Smalling is everything you could want from a centre back. He doesn't have the intelligence or mentality to go with his impressive size and speed.

Coops73

Weird one today, wasn't shit, wasn't great but the formation was all fecked up so I guess you have to cut some slack for all of the defenders to a degree.

Brophs

The One and Only
I remember a few years back - I think near the end of Fergie's time - that two journalists (I think Steve Bates was one) spoke on the Sunday Supplement about how United were concerned about his ability to play well under pressure/in big games. Unfortunately he's still doing the same thing years later. He'd be okay as a squad player, if he's willing to do that, but, ultimately, he invariably lets you down.

POF

Poor for the goal but I don't see why Bailly gets a pass. What is that heading technique of his? Squat jump style or something.
Terrible mistake, but he was the best defender on the pitch otherwise. His positioning and aerial ability are great. But when the ball comes at his feet he panics big time.
Agree with both of these. It was a bad mistake by Smalling but Bailly was equally at fault. He has to win that header.

Smalling defended really well before the goal. He is absolutely crucial in the air and dealt with Gestede pretty comfortably. Rojo is the only other defender who is good enough in the air. Jones and Bailly are beaten far too often.

Sylar

It was a bad mistake by Smalling but Bailly was equally at fault. He has to win that header.
Losing a duel in the air can happen. Trying to clear the ball with the wrong foot and missing it however? I think thats more of a problem...

PlayerOne

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Such a weird player. Takes forever to turn his body, which is awful for a defender. Last season is looking like a one off.

It shouldn't matter, but I hate that he captains the team. Shows where we are as a club. Shows no leadership at all

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
That last sentence there is a very big problem to have when you're playing for Manchester United.

Put him out of his misery and sell him to someone more to his level.

Strats

And people were surprised why we were looking at Lindelöf in January

Smalling is a good footballer, but sometimes he gets these Michael Oliver-esque looks and body language that screams insecurity. Not the signals you want from a supposed leader since he's been getting games as captain.

POF

Losing a duel in the air can happen. Trying to clear the ball with the wrong foot and missing it however? I think thats more of a problem...
A centre back should be able to win a header against an average height central midfield player. When I saw who the ball was dropping to I expected nothing other than a clearing header.

Sylar

A centre back should be able to win a header against an average height central midfield player. When I saw who the ball was dropping to I expected nothing other than a clearing header.
Ive seen Rio lose a header to Messi. Losing headers can happen.
But are you seriously say that is the same as a defender trying to hack at the ball with the wrong foot and setting up their goal?
You said they were equally at fault.

Frank Grimes

Oh he's good except when the ball is at his feet. Bit of a problem for a footballer that.
The guy is rubbish, never rated him and can't wait to see the back of him.

MadMike

That last sentence there is a very big problem to have when you're playing for Manchester United.

Put him out of his misery and sell him to someone more to his level.
I would argue having bad positioning, which Bailly was cuplable of quite a few times today (easily 5 by my count, even Jose had a go at him), is far far worse for a central defender.

Smalling is as safe as they come, from being transfered out, this summer. He actually has been our best centre back this season, whatever his weaknesses. You'd have to replace the whole rest of the CB line before you even get to look at him.

ROFLUTION

And people were surprised why we were looking at Lindelöf in January
Nope.. not surprised..

Can't wait to see Mou form af good central defence like at previous clubs. All 4 buys have been pretty good, so Mou is on a good patch with transfers.

One of Smalling/Jones should go.. these players just clunge up space.. sort of like at Arsenal where they don't let go of the almost players..

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Despite being just as good (or bad), Smalling is a whole rating lower than his defensive counterparts on the average rating for today (Smalling is a 4.8, Bailly and Jones were both 5.9 and 5.8 respectively). He really isn't liked on here anymore is he?

Born2Lose

Despite being just as good (or bad), Smalling is a whole rating lower than his defensive counterparts on the average rating for today (Smalling is a 4.8, Bailly and Jones were both 5.9 and 5.8 respectively). He really isn't liked on here anymore is he?
Interestingly Bailly got 8.46. Jones 7.29 and Smalling 6.48 on whoscored, so maybe the question is more about whether this place overhyped Smalling in the first place and that finally common sense has prevailed.

MadMike

I don't even rate his positional sense. The only thing he has going for him is he wins a lot of headers and he is pacy. His distribution is Sunday league level.
United will not compete for league with Smalling as a starting CB, we haven't competed in the league with him as a main CB either.
His positioning is pretty decent, but we can agree to disagree.

You're still not addressing the rest of the post which says that at the moment he is clearly the best centre back at United. He looks way more safe than Jones or Bailly. Agree or disagree?

Are you suggesting then that we should basically switch all 4 CBs? And without that, we are doomed? Despite having the 3 best defence in the league and only 2 goals off Chelsea and Tottenham?

MadMike

Interestingly Bailly got 8.46. Jones 7.29 and Smalling 6.48 on whoscored, so maybe the question is more about whether this place overhyped Smalling in the first place and that finally common sense has prevailed.
Those sites put huge emphasis on quantifiable things, like mistakes or interceptions. Bailly's positioning today was very very poor. He was given an on-the-pitch bollocking by Mou. How does the site measure that?

Rossa

Must have jinxed him. Second half was absolute awful. Not just him though. The whole defensive unit couldn't defend. Even DDG made for some wank clearance/ kick. Rojo, Young aimlessly kicked the ball to Boro players...

Next time don't post until the game ends, please. Not good for the heart.
I know. I feel awful. That was some shocking jinxing on my part. I thought he did well, bare the cluster feck for the goal. He won almost everything in the air. Also, wtf was Jones doing with the clearance before the goal?

Zlaatan

Parody Account
Bailly was basically standing still when he went up for the header compared to the Borough player who came in with speed, which is a huge advantage. You'd need to be Crouch to win a header like that more times than not.

ti vu

I know. I feel awful. That was some shocking jinxing on my part. I thought he did well, bare the cluster feck for the goal. He won almost everything in the air. Also, wtf was Jones doing with the clearance before the goal?
He didn't mark Boro players after a long throw in in another instance; beaten by Negredo (nutmegged?)... Not shaming him alone. Bailly couldn't head a ball & had trouble with deciding what to do with the ball half the time. Jones throwing himself everywhere. Rojo kicking the ball aimlessly. Young didn't bother move up and be an outlet... Basically collectively a mess defensively. No leadership, no structure at the end. It;s like Leceister game couple season ago mk II

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
A glaring mistake directly responsible for a goal will always cost a defender points in the ratings. Had Bailly or Jones done the same then you'd see the same pattern. You're looking for agendas that aren't there.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
The assist he provided for Borough's goal was laughable.
He basically passed the ball straight to their striker, right in front of goal.
Smalling is good in the air, but when it comes to defending in pressure situations, he is a calamity waiting to happen.

The criticism is very unjust.
He did well apart from the error today.
The problem is that his mistake directly led to the goal, about 1 second later.

Frank Grimes

His positioning is pretty decent, but we can agree to disagree.

You're still not addressing the rest of the post which says that at the moment he is clearly the best centre back at United. He looks way more safe than Jones or Bailly. Agree or disagree?

Are you suggesting then that we should basically switch all 4 CBs? And without that, we are doomed? Despite having the 3 best defence in the league and only 2 goals off Chelsea and Tottenham?

I prefer Jones, Rojo and Bailly all to Smalling. One good defensive signing of the calibre of Laporte or Gimenez would improve our defense immeasurably.
We also have Tuanzebe coming through. Can't have any time for a player who can't sort his feet out, todays mistake was amateurish and all too familiar.
Our best cb pairing this season was Jones/Rojo imo but we still need to improve on that are we to contend again.

FC Ronaldo

Posts stuff that's been said before in tweet form
When people are criticising him for that goal, I hope they're not just stopping there. All of our defence were culpable for their goal. It was a calamitous effort from each one of them. Nobody cleared the ball properly or even bothered to organise the defence. They all stopped, watched and dawdled. Smalling made a cock up of that hacked clearance which cannot be excused totally but others should shoulder the blame too. That's the point here.

As a wider point, it's clear that he's not in the same form that he was last season under Louis and has regressed a bit with Jose. He's still a good option for us but he's got an uphill battle ahead to become a mainstay for the next 2 years in Mourinho's team.

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Can't believe some people are still content with this buffoon. Look at that "clearance" and tell me he's good enough to be starting for the biggest team in England.

Absolute bollocks.

Between him and Jones, I was bricking it when I saw Middleborough were chasing the equaliser. Any other ref would have probably gave that penalty and that would be another game Smalling and Jones cost us.

They got away with it today. It would have likely ended 2-2 if Valdes didn't slip cause these two cannot cope with the pressure. They're a anxious mess. Especially Smalling.

When are we gonna use our money to sign a top class experienced CB? We need to get someone like Godin, Chiellini, Pique, etc. Anyone is available with the right wage packet.
We'll sign a top class, experienced and consistent central defensive leader in the summer. 100% guaranteed. All Mourinho teams have one and it's a glaring gap in our roster this season. I don't have a problem with this season being a series of auditions for the current lot, who all show glimpses of being the real deal, but I'd say Jose's mind is fully made up at this point and he'll be spending money on central defence. No doot aboot it.

arthurka

He isnt a footballer. He is big and fast. Can't kick a ball and has mistakes in him every game. Him being captain sometimes baffles me, he can't communicate normally but in games he never gets things done.. He never steps in and takes control and never sticks up for his players or team. This squad hasnt got any character without Zlatan or Pogba..

Devil may care

We'll sign a top class, experienced and consistent central defensive leader in the summer. 100% guaranteed. All Mourinho teams have one and it's a glaring gap in our roster this season. I don't have a problem with this season being a series of auditions for the current lot, who all show glimpses of being the real deal, but I'd say Jose's mind is fully made up at this point and he'll be spending money on central defence. No doot aboot it.
I agree, the Caf seems to be split into sects that favour one of the 4 CB's we have, but I think looking at it overall it should be clear we lack a true top class CB to lead this defense, they are all foot soldiers, none of them are Generals, and whichever got picked to be the main partner would likely flourish with someone calm and composed next to them.

Born2Lose

Those sites put huge emphasis on quantifiable things, like mistakes or interceptions. Bailly's positioning today was very very poor. He was given an on-the-pitch bollocking by Mou. How does the site measure that?
It doesn't, but it also doesn't measure individual bias either. Besides Bailly's what.. 5 years younger than Smalling, and playing his first season in the Prem?

My personal opinion, but Bailly will be a much better defender at 27 than Smalling is now.

Status
Not open for further replies.