Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
So again Jones & Smalling injured at the same time... good old story of our few previous seasons but it's probably nothing that serious.

Carrick or Mensah could do a decent job too.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Based on what?
They didn't depart directly to a hospital so there's also a chance it was precautionary measure so club have time to sort them out for next week but of course the Caf can start panicking now for a two inconsistent defenders if that's what floats the boat at the moment.

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
They didn't depart directly to a hospital so there's also a chance it was precautionary measure so club have time to sort them out for next week but of course the Caf can start panicking now for a two inconsistent defenders if that's what floats the boat at the moment.
Not sure they'd publish that even if it was the case, the national team always just tell that "Player X has returned to his club", as it's not their business publishing details on injuries unless it's in a big tournament. Personally not panicking, just haven't seen anything that'd give out the length of his absence.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Not sure they'd publish that even if it was the case, the national team always just tell that "Player X has returned to his club", as it's not their business publishing details on injuries unless it's in a big tournament. Personally not panicking, just haven't seen anything that'd give out the length of his absence.
To be honest with you Carrick's experience would give our defense much more needed calmness and focus plus we would have player in the back who could expedite the ball within a seconds for a good counter.

I'm at that point when I really can't see them both improve above certain level and just glad Jose's slowly moving forward with signing of Bailly and linking us to other solid defenders on the market.

top1whoisman

Scout
To be honest with you Carrick's experience would give our defense much more needed calmness and focus plus we would have player in the back who could expedite the ball within a seconds for a good counter.

I'm at that point when I really can't see them both improve above certain level and just glad Jose's slowly moving forward with signing of Bailly and linking us to other solid defenders on the market.
Against some teams, Carrick is way too soft to play CB, I’d say West Brom is the prime example of such a team. I just hope that we have a broad selection of centre-halves for the crazy run-in, but I agree, we definitely need to address the situation in the summer, one way or another.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Against some teams, Carrick is way too soft to play CB, I’d say West Brom is the prime example of such a team. I just hope that we have a broad selection of centre-halves for the crazy run-in, but I agree, we definitely need to address the situation in the summer, one way or another.
That's true, Carrick is soft but I would play him anyway to avoid Bournemouth situation which almost completely destroyed our league season.

AP88

Supports
Man City
In a back 3, in between 'bodyguards' Bailly and Rojo, Carrick could work. His reading of the game is spot on, and he could distribute ala Bonucci, although I think Blind could and more likely will do that role too.

There's also Shaw, who could play on the left of a 3, moving Rojo central.

top1whoisman

Scout
In a back 3, in between 'bodyguards' Bailly and Rojo, Carrick could work. His reading of the game is spot on, and he could distribute ala Bonucci, although I think Blind could and more likely will do that role too.

There's also Shaw, who could play on the left of a 3, moving Rojo central.
He could, although I’d say we are far from a Barca type of team (and league) who can use a ”quarterback” in the defence. In general, we should be fine with that, though. Against Pulis’ West Brom though, I’m not sure. Then again, we’ll have Carrick in the starting XI anyway. Will be interesting to see what José will go with.

top1whoisman

Scout
Who would play in midfield in that case? Fellaini and..?

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
It wouldn't be an international period without at least 1 player coming back injured.

They really need to sort this late season slot out. Surely they could find a way to play it after the last set of the main European leagues fixtures have ended!?

AlecHDR

Angry, incoherent heterosexual slob
So Jones injured in training and Smalling in an fecking friendly? It would be a little easier to accept if they were injured in an actual qualifier. Annoying.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Random bump, but his aerial and physical dominance is something we really lack when he isn't playing. It's a shame he has some other major flaws, but I think he is still our most important defender without a doubt and people underrate how much attacks we conceede just because our other defenders can't win fecking aerial challenge.

Skills

Snitch
If he spent more time with his physio instead of on twitter, he might have made it back quicker. Wanker.

Alabaster Codify7

Nice move but means nothing - he's a football player, he should be judged on his ability to play football for us, not how he mingles with fans. Although it's obviously a nice bonus if a player does these things.

marjen

Desperately wants to be like Noodle
Nice touch.

Incidentally, that's the only time you'll see the words "nice touch" in a thread about Smalling's performances.

Web of Bissaka

So according to the English contingent thread everyone wants him gone. Am I the only one that would be glad to keep him at the club?
:yawn:No. He still is quality. Give him one more next season to prove himself until we get a good replacement of him. His fitness and recently both mentality and attitude are questionable. First replace Jones, then focus replacing Smalling.

Nice interaction with fans btw of him.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
:yawn:No. He still is quality. Give him one more next season to prove himself until we get a good replacement of him. His fitness and recently both mentality and attitude are questionable. First replace Jones, then focus replacing Smalling.

Which mentality/attitude issues?

Kag

I'm glad you quite rightly rate him. But why is his attitude questionable? Mourinho lying to the press because he's taking a paddy doesn't cut it, for me.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
With you on that one. Have always rated him higher than Jones, he has been better than Rojo except this season so I'd rather wait and see what level Rojo is at after the layoff.
Not only better but less injury prone as well over the last 2 seasons not that you'd know it reading the forums.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
So according to the English contingent thread everyone wants him gone. Am I the only one that would be glad to keep him at the club?
Nope, i'm a big fan and I think Mourinho rates him highly too.
Plus he's our most experienced CB, and when fit Jose has picked him to start almost every game.

Next season he will have to work on getting his place back in the squad from either Rojo or Bailly as they have proved themselves in the last few weeks, and rightfully so. I think Jones' injuries will force him out.

Web of Bissaka

Which mentality/attitude issues?
I'm glad you quite rightly rate him. But why is his attitude questionable? Mourinho lying to the press because he's taking a paddy doesn't cut it, for me.
The recent one which Jose called him and Jones out to be available for the match against City which they don't and then recently the many press interviews after that. Just like this one, find the other reports. I would put my trust in a proven winning manager in this case.;)I still support Smalling to be back "properly" of course.

http://metro.co.uk/2017/04/27/chris...-clash-after-jose-mourinho-criticism-6601642/

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
The recent one which Jose called him and Jones out to be available for the match against City which they don't and then recently the many press interviews after that. Just like this one, find the other reports. I would put my trust in a proven winning manager in this case.;)I still support Smalling to be back "properly" of course.

http://metro.co.uk/2017/04/27/chris...-clash-after-jose-mourinho-criticism-6601642/
Sigh. Mourinho is really doing a number on certain players perception by the fans.
Except he has clearly called it wrong plenty of times already this season. Shaws latest injury and Smalling injury earlier in the season are examples.

Kag

Allardyce, Hodgson, Moyes, Van Gaal and Ferguson never indicated attitude problems. All five set high expectations of professionalism and commitment, too.

stevoc

No i wouldn't cry if he was sold either but he's a good player. If we are selling a defender this summer Jones is far more likely to be the one to go. Can't see us selling two with our annual defender crisis in mind. So i reckon Smalling will be here next season.

Status
Not open for further replies.