g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Christian Eriksen | Man Utd player

JB7

How do these two fecking idiots don't know that maybe, Christian thanked the people at Brentford in person.

Not everything should be a damn social media post. Normal people still talk, like face to face or on the phone.

This is easily the most idiotic time I've lived in 30 some years.
Cos if it wasn’t on social media it didn’t happen obviously

criticalanalysis

To be fair, whilst it's true Brentford put a lot of faith and took a gamble with Eriksen, he has repaid them with the points gained that meant they stay in the premier league.

His professionalism, experience and class on the pitch more than makes it up whatever social message people feels he needs to put out.

I'd take a performing 'mercenary' 100 times over an 'insert Utd player' that didn't perform but said nice things.

croadyman

Imagine the team with Martinez, Eriksen and Frenkie playing. We would be able to sustain possession under any pressure.
I still can't put De Jong into that list yet because of all the financial shenanigans

InfiniteBoredom

Same age as Lingard and I know which one I would pick on my team. Welcome you Danish beauty.
Mad when you put it like this. There were people on this place still talking about JLingz’s ‘potential’ just this time last year, shows what a travesty investing on his career has been for us.

Cnaiür urs Skiötha

I like this signing. On the one hand you could argue we do not really need another experienced and expensive offensive minded midfielder. On the other hand EtH wants players who can keep the ball circling and always find a pass under pressure. Most of our players struggle with high tempo passing which is why we are not able to create chances.
Will be interesting to see how Eriksen, Bruno and Donny will be used.

My only concern is that this could be some kind of tricking us into believing we got the midfielder we needed with de Jong potentially falling through and no realistic alternatives who would be good enough on the horizon.

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
Lose Pogba on a free, gain Eriksen on a free. Despite being a year older, it’s an upgrade (over our version of Pogba).

ForeverRed1

Do we see him holding up the new away kit at the reveal today? His welcome video was nothing much so i wonder if they are waiting for the shirt release?

el diablorojo

Supports
Brentford
@el diablorojo

He’ll get a great reception at Brentford won’t he?
Actually the mood music has changed a bit on this now. Turns out only told us it was “unlikely” he would sign a new contract here and didn’t actually tell us he was formally signing/going to be announced at United before it was announced. I don’t think our owner or Thomas Frank are particularly impressed so I think he may actually get a bit of stick now.

Biggins

Very good signing for us. Will provide much needed quality back up in our midfield and also bring some threat from set pieces.

ForeverRed1

Actually the mood music has changed a bit on this now. Turns out only told us it was “unlikely” he would sign a new contract here and didn’t actually tell us he was formally signing/going to be announced at United before it was announced. I don’t think our owner or Thomas Frank are particularly impressed so I think he may actually get a bit of stick now.
which is ridiculous. The guy deserves this move, it’s actually a incredible football story. He came to you on a 6 month contract, literally kept you out of a relegation battle. He was ace for you but surely no one can blame him for choosing united? It’s a amazing move for him.

wazz786

I think this is an excellent signing, a free transfer of a player who has experience in premier league with some very impressive stat. He is great with ball, picking out passes. I feel that is one area we have lacked in over the years, that creativity to unlock defences and keep the balls when needed too.
In my opinion he is an upgrade of Lingard and will offer us more than the aged Mata.
Good business, now need a sold DCM, I hope we get Kante.

el diablorojo

Supports
Brentford
which is ridiculous. The guy deserves this move, it’s actually a incredible football story. He came to you on a 6 month contract, literally kept you out of a relegation battle. He was ace for you but surely no one can blame him for choosing united? It’s a amazing move for him.
Listen I know that’s the convenient narrative that we stayed up single handedly down to him but reality is we were never in the bottom 3 before he arrived and him joining also coincided with getting Raya back and being able to field our first choice defence for the first time in a couple of months. So it’s completely disingenuous to say he literally kept us out of a relegation battle but can understand to those on the outside that’s how it looked and was reported as it fitted the narrative.

End of the day I don’t think anyone has an issue with him joining United the issue is that he told Thomas Frank and us we would be the first to know and actually that didn’t happen. Football is an emotive subject and fans are taking this as a bit of a slight on us which I totally get - football without emotions would be boring. It’s not about choosing United over Brentford it’s about how it was communicated to us or not as the case May be.

BigRon1985

Really happy for him on a personal level. What a turnaround compared to where he was a year ago - really hope he is a success for us!

Desmond69

Not just 1

John Sivabeck
Jesper Olsen
Mads Timm
Anders Lindegaard
And then there was Peter Schmeichel, but he was also only here for about 10 years, and was here when we won the treble in 1999 ... :)

Last edited:

pauldyson1uk

how pathetic, 11 games and he did excellent.
A player has good as he is and Man United coming knocking, you have to accept that knock.
Sounds like sour grapes to me.

hellhunter

Eurofighter
Supports
Karlsruher SC
how pathetic, 11 games and he did excellent.
A player has good as he is and Man United coming knocking, you have to accept that knock.
Sounds like sour grapes to me.
It appears they understand him leaving and hold no grudge over it, but would have liked for his communication over it to be more clear and transparent. Which is really fair enough

pauldyson1uk

It appears they understand him leaving and hold no grudge over it, but would have liked for his communication over it to be more clear and transparent. Which is really fair enough
Reading the Brentford forum about this, there is plenty wishing him well, but also quite a few angry and that's understandable.
I will admit my post was maybe a bit strong, my apologies.

Mike Smalling

Is anyone finding it a bit strange how downplayed this is on the website? We signed a top quality player, and there isn't even a picture of him.

m1tch

I don't get the comms angle to be honest. I'm sure he couldn't just go around telling people he's signing for United before it was actually done, especially given that it was subject to a rigorous medical. Imagine if the move had fallen through, he'd hardly want the footballing world speculating that it was due to a failed a medical.

He might well have told Brentford that his first choice would be United, whilst also expressing how important it was to not let that be publicly known until it was all signed and sealed.

He's not joined a rival team, or a team slightly higher in the table, and joined them for solely financial reasons. Whilst we're not the club we we're it's pretty reasonable that he'd choose to join us over Brentford. I'm sure he'll show a lot of respect towards Brentford and it'd be classless for them to not reciprocate that.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Love this video...it is slightly unfortunate that without Ronaldo we don't have a single attacking player who can head the ball :rolleyes:
He would be a solution to the Ronaldo conundrum. Though I don't think it would be how ETH envisioned how his united would play. Too predictable.

Mike Smalling

Yeah it's strange but maybe there's a plan. Are we launching a 3rd kit?
I was thinking they might have wanted to do a few announcements simultaneously, and take a group shot with Eriksen, Martinez and maybe even Frenkie, but then the others were delayed.

GueRed

immediately our best passer in midfield.

Good luck to him. seems like a top pro and will add quality to the squad.

el diablorojo

Supports
Brentford
Spot on - we aren’t lunatics like Leeds fans or something

Remember the geese

Why does he have a duty to tell Brentford anything? He was out of contract and didn't owe Brentford anything. It was a mutual working arrangement where both parties benefited.

ForeverRed1

Listen I know that’s the convenient narrative that we stayed up single handedly down to him but reality is we were never in the bottom 3 before he arrived and him joining also coincided with getting Raya back and being able to field our first choice defence for the first time in a couple of months. So it’s completely disingenuous to say he literally kept us out of a relegation battle but can understand to those on the outside that’s how it looked and was reported as it fitted the narrative.

End of the day I don’t think anyone has an issue with him joining United the issue is that he told Thomas Frank and us we would be the first to know and actually that didn’t happen. Football is an emotive subject and fans are taking this as a bit of a slight on us which I totally get - football without emotions would be boring. It’s not about choosing United over Brentford it’s about how it was communicated to us or not as the case May be.
i get that.. but he for sure bought your team up a level when he signed. He was brilliant for you. I know one player doesn’t keep a whole team up.. but he helped.

Do you know for sure he didn’t communicate? Or is it just hear say? He didn’t have to do anything anyway, he was out of contract and a free agent. I’m sure he did what felt right for him and his family.