Club Sale | It’s done!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. Meeseeks

Genuinely curious, how is Jim Ratcliffe a valid bidder for the club given his ownership of OGC Nice? Doesn’t that violate existing UEFA rules about club independence?

gajender

Can you explain how that works with the change of control clause on the current debt then?
I believe they would basically refinance it, Our current debt would only become issue if We are planning on building new stadium then our Ability to service existing debt and new debt might prove problematic and also adversely impact our might in the transfer market .

But all things considered it's still not a deal breaker for me , with competent management and some creative ideas to fund Stadium expansion or new Stadium rebuild like longterm naming rights we should be fine .

Last edited:

Red Company

Supports
The Peaky Blinders
Let’s say I just opened this thread after a couple days and I’m 30 pages behind.. what’s the update lads?

Strelok

Let’s say I just opened this thread after a couple days and I’m 30 pages behind.. what’s the update lads?
Don't worry yesterday I checked the thread after like a month or so and it did seem I haven't missed anything.

Just get this done ffs.

Cantona in disguise

If INEOS (jim) came out and said we will clear the debt from day one. The Glazers are staying for three years then they will be gone. Would everyone take that? Would that be enough to get the anti INEOS crew on board or still not?

I know I'd take that in a heartbeat.

Reactions: Sultan

Castia

If INEOS (jim) came out and said we will clear the debt from day one. The Glazers are staying for three years then they will be gone. Would everyone take that? Would that be enough to get the anti INEOS crew on board or still not?

Nah there’s no hiding from the farce of his other 2 clubs I’m afraid

If he can’t compete in France he can’t compete in the PL it’s that simple. His mid table French club are signing players like Ross Barkley I mean fecking hell it’s hilariously bad.

Cantona in disguise

If he can’t compete in France he can’t compete in the PL it’s that simple. His mid table French club are signing players like Ross Barkley I mean fecking hell it’s hilariously bad.
Would he/Ineos run united like that?

United generate enough income without debt to buy the correct quality of players. Perhaps allowing united to be self sufficient and have a good structure in place would be enough?

Surely nice do not generate enough income without INEOS investment to compete with PSG?

ForeverRed1

No. Enough is enough. Glazers out instantly is the only positive outcome in this. Three years is too long.

jassim Will pay off all existing debt and invest heavily in club from the off. The being righteous about Qatar ownership ship sailed when city and Newcastle got bought out. I could be wrong but I think the only way you’re knocking city off their perch is by levelling with them or they will continue to dominate for years and years. Abu just ain’t playing with them and going nowhere. Do you really for one minute think SJR can compete with them?

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
We won’t hear anything today. We will likely hear something tomorrow or Sunday if the bid is ignored with Qatar likely briefing that they have withdrawn from the process and the press inferring that means that INEOS have won.

Alternatively if the Glazers do respond positively to the latest Qatar bid I still don’t expect anything to be announced this weekend as there will be nothing to announce. They’re not going to jump straight into a period of exclusivity because Qatar put a date on it. If they tell Qatar they like the offer or that it is very close but haven’t got a unanimous vote on it yet the Qataris are not going to walk away.

Telsim

Non-joke reply: INEOS have outbid Qatar and are set to become the new owners, together with the old owners.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
INEOS will take on the new debt (incurred to buy the controlling stake). They aren't clearing the existing debt, that will still be on the books of the club.
Precisely, you beat me to it
Previous poster was sure to write Books of the holding company*. Not on the books of the club itself.

I think there would be a key difference there in 1) FFP burden and 2) helping renegotiate better rates of interest on the debt.

Last edited:

Castia

Would he/Ineos run united like that?

United generate enough income without debt to buy the correct quality of players. Perhaps allowing united to be self sufficient and have a good structure in place would be enough?

Surely nice do not generate enough income without INEOS investment to compete with PSG?
It’s worrying that he just doesn’t seem to have the people in place to run his clubs to a competitive level. I don’t expect him to throw hundreds of millions at Nice to compete with PSG but mid table? and being completely useless in the transfer market buying over the hill PL rejects? It’s worrying that he must have complete morons running the place

We’ve spent money, we’ve spent some of the most money in Europe and it’s got us nowhere we need a proper footballing setup and I don’t believe Jim has a Scooby Doo

Cantona in disguise

It’s worrying that he just doesn’t seem to have the people in place to run his clubs to a competitive level. I don’t expect him to throw hundreds of millions at Nice to compete with PSG but mid table? and being completely useless in the transfer market buying over the hill PL rejects? It’s worrying that he must have complete morons running the place

We’ve spent money, we’ve spent some of the most money in Europe and it’s got us nowhere we need a proper footballing setup and I don’t believe Jim has a Scooby Doo
Definitely agree on the issue surrounding his structure and the people put in place. If he was to get that right he may be swinging. Could it be simply that the best management structure wouldn't want to be involved with nice but if united come knocking its a different story?

Bosws87

It will be glorious, it’s going to be like that failed Southampton experiment when they brought in the rugby coach, except ours will be cycling experts. :lol:

Cantona in disguise

No. Enough is enough. Glazers out instantly is the only positive outcome in this. Three years is too long.

jassim Will pay off all existing debt and invest heavily in club from the off. The being righteous about Qatar ownership ship sailed when city and Newcastle got bought out. I could be wrong but I think the only way you’re knocking city off their perch is by levelling with them or they will continue to dominate for years and years. Abu just ain’t playing with them and going nowhere. Do you really for one minute think SJR can compete with them?
I don't think united need state money to compete. A good structure with no debt would be enough. Will INEOS do that?

Doesn't look likely but if they were to clear the debt I think it would ease a lot of fears and animosity towards Jim/INEOS. I get that some people want Qatar involved as it looks like they may invest heavily. I want to see united at the very top but as long as we get rid of the Glazers now or in three years I'll be reasonably happy.

cheekybackheel

It will be glorious, it’s going to be like that failed Southampton experiment when they brought in the rugby coach, except ours will be cycling experts. :lol:
Yes, and and the irony is that since Ineos took over Team Sky a few years back, they've hardly won anything in Pro Cycling either, compared to what Team Sky were doing with back-to-back Tour wins.

Team Sky 2010 - 19
10 Grand Tour Wins
25 Major Week Stage Races
9 Classic One Day Races
2 Monument Races

Ineos 2019 - present
2 Grand Tour Wins
7 Major Week Stage Races
2 Classic One Day Races
1 Monument Race

Its gone from 4.3 wins a year under Team Sky, to 2.4 under Ineos.
That's inheriting a Pro Cycling team that was top of its game when Ineos took over.

Last edited:

ROFLUTION

SJR or SJ. No one is going to spend 6bn and don't give it every chance to succeed.

We will have a good investment budget with either owner that's for sure.

People are concerned with lack of details from SJR camp and rightly so but that's mean its going to be bad. May be he has a way to get rid of the debt and invest in stadium and that thing will become clear as things progress.

I am not concerned with Glazers staying in non controlling position (genuinely who cares if they are not running the show) and slowly completely bought out.

A perfect scenario is SJR winning the bid, no ethical dramas or labelling we will get with Saudi (rightly or wrongly) and him having a plan for success.
That's a positive way of looking at it. To be fair you can be right, but many will probably be doomsday mongering over it.

What I personally most like is that someone just runs it like a good business and doesn't promise the World from the beginning. With Sheikh Jassim we get a lot of words about what he'll improve, but we have no idea if he actually backs it up. It's just words, and to me when you use a lot of fancy words, then it's usually not what's gonna happen, but just to persuade the public here and now.

Also it's a shit strategy for when you want to negotiate for players to be a loudmouth - as we saw when Woodward coming out saying "We can make moves in the market no other club can do" - Sure Ed, but that statement will cost you a 10-20% tax on every player from now on too.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
Seems a long time since that third bid went in from Ratcliffe to still be going through due diligence. Then again I still cannot get my head around why Jassim seems to have zero intention of matching offer. Suggests to me someone who isn't serious about wanting the club which is odd.
I don't believe Jassim isn't serious, he clearly is to be putting up the sort of money he is, which is much more than his actual net worth that's been reported. Whoever is giving him the money may well have put a limit on what is financially viable though. With regards to the due diligence, for all we know SJR may have been asked to increase his offer before due diligence, we don't really know as SJR seems to be respecting the NDA - probably after seeing the backlash from the Glazers after the earlier public statements. I don't know, but it's possible. I'd say it's likely the Glazers are talking to somebody, you don't receive all these offers and then just do nothing for weeks.

Blackbeard

Supports
Bristol City

Would also need the plans for the stadium and facilities. Basically match what Qatar have promised and start making progress right away on it.

Marcelinho87

Might just be because we're so used to the way the Glazers do things but I don't believe INEOS will just take on the debt without taking money out of the club to pay it off
Trillionth time.

Existing debt remains, serviced by Manchester United - structure here is what counts not size of the debt.

New debt is INEOS debt, serviced by INEOS and swallowed into their existing debt books.

onemanarmy

Yes, and and the irony is that since Ineos took over Team Sky a few years back, they've hardly won anything in Pro Cycling either, compared to what Team Sky were doing with back-to-back Tour wins.

Team Sky 2010 - 19
10 Grand Tour Wins
9 Classic One Day Races
2 Monument Races

Ineos 2019 - present
2 Grand Tour Wins
7 Major Week Stage Races
2 Classic One Day Races
1 Monument Race

That's inheriting a Pro Cycling team that was top of its game when Ineos took over.
They had the biggest prospect in Grand Tour Cycling in their ranks, who made a terrible crash and had been recovering for years in Bernal.

They just finished few seconds behind first place in the Giro.

They have the best young rider in the world in their ranks, behind Pogacar with Pidcock. He has won a lot, and came second tons of times behind the 2 best riders in the world, Van Aert and VDP.

They overhauled the entire team and bar let's say Geraint Thomas, they have a young, fantastic team that will compete in all competitions with Geogan Hart, Pidcock, Hayter, Ganna, Sheffield.

Give some context if you want to slag them off, will you? They are an extremely successful team, and one of the best managed in Cycling.

Last edited:

TheGodsInRed

Genuinely curious, how is Jim Ratcliffe a valid bidder for the club given his ownership of OGC Nice? Doesn’t that violate existing UEFA rules about club independence?
Only if they play each other in the same tournament. But RB proved the rule is not followed through on in the champions league.

Bosws87

Team Sky 2010 - 19
10 Grand Tour Wins
9 Classic One Day Races
2 Monument Races

Ineos 2019 - present
2 Grand Tour Wins
7 Major Week Stage Races
2 Classic One Day Races
1 Monument Race

Was tongue in cheek but so far from all the sport enterprises he owns are any going forward :lol:

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
I had a quick browse of Qatari news/newspapers. No mention of anything on Sheikh Jassim or United. I'd have thought it would be a major running story.

greenoffpearson

Would also need the plans for the stadium and facilities. Basically match what Qatar have promised and start making progress right away on it.
Yes that would also need to happen.

There seems to be some misconception about this debt arrangement.

I may be wrong, but if you're buying United there should be no expectation that you're going to dump the cost of buying the club onto the club. This is exactly what the Glazer's did.

The way some people seem to be talking about this is as if INEOS are going to do United some sort of favour by not dumping their new purchase cost debt onto United.

Also, there is no way without a goldplated guarantee that INEOS are going to remove the existing debt from United's books, start rebuilding the stadium and facilities in addition to adding a transformative transfer window.

INEOS will not finance anything unless they have an absolute guarantee of taking full control of the club.

By merely having a simple majority, 51%, gives them enough power to run the club day-to-day but you're not going to put money into the club or remove debt from the club, in any serious way, because your benefiting the other 49%.

The Glazers have full control at the moment and unless you are promised full control then you're not going to be making any major decisions until you get that full control.

Every pound that INEOS put in will effectively be split by the remaining Glazers and the New York Stock Exchange holders(or they disguise it as a loan).

Unless there is that absolute certainty that you will get full control why would you do that?

So until we see that INEOS have a mechanism to obtain that cast-iron guarantee nothing much is going to happen.

In the meantime we will have squandered another transfer window because, equally, there is no way the Glazers, knowing they're going to give away control, will be investing other than the bare minimum.

No way will they be selling Maguire for a loss or any of the other players, it is book value that they want to retain just in case the INEOS deal hits the rocks.

glasgow 21

To be frank with you, I haven’t got a fecking clue wtf your previous post meant but it was nice meeting you.
frankly I don't know why you replied

Team Sky 2010 - 19
10 Grand Tour Wins
9 Classic One Day Races
2 Monument Races

Ineos 2019 - present
2 Grand Tour Wins
7 Major Week Stage Races
2 Classic One Day Races
1 Monument Race

Your talking Cycling here , and there is enough pages to peruse about Team Sky. The fact of fewer wins is more than likely down to Ineos running a more ethical ship.

Marcelinho87

Give over he's had nice nearly 4 years and only 12 months ago people were clammering to ride the SJR train... Only since Qatar showed up did people get all giddy.

PeteReDevil

iPete
They had the biggest prospect in Grand Tour Cycling in their ranks, who made a terrible crash and had been recovering for years in Bernal.

They have the best young rider in the world in their ranks, behind Pogacar with Pidcock. He haa won a lot, and came second tons of times behind the 2 best riders in the world, Van Aert and VDP.

They overhauled the entire team and bar let's say Geraint Thomas, they have a young, fantastic team that will compete on all competitions with Geogan Hart, Pidcock, Hayter, Ganna, Sheffield.

Give some context if you want to slag them off, will you? They are an extremely successful team, and one of the best managed in Cycling.
+ factor in they had Chris f-ing Froome those years

LawCharltonBest

Enjoys watching fox porn
I had a quick browse of Qatari news/newspapers. No mention of anything on Sheikh Jassim or United. I'd have thought it would be a major running story.
I remember someone saying this near the beginning, I think when he made his first bid, and it was a huge story here.

Maybe they aren’t convinced by it, or maybe they just don’t bother reporting until they know it’ll be successful? I guess you’ll have a better idea

Telsim

They aren't going to plaster their failure all over the news.

cheekybackheel

They have the best young rider in the world in their ranks, behind Pogacar with Pidcock. He has won a lot, and came second tons of times behind the 2 best riders in the world, Van Aert and VDP.

They overhauled the entire team and bar let's say Geraint Thomas, they have a young, fantastic team that will compete in all competitions with Geogan Hart, Pidcock, Hayter, Ganna, Sheffield.

I'm not slagging them off I'm merely pointing out the facts.

And look at your arguments....finished 2nd at Giro...Bernal had a crash...a great young rider in Pidcock...Yes and another way you could describe it is...

The didn't win the Giro.
They don't have a rival to Pogacar or Roglic.
Pidcock keeps finishing second to better riders...

Don't lecture me on Pro Cycling son, I've been following it for 50yrs. It's not a debate you would win.

Status
Not open for further replies.