Club Sale | It’s done!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Messier1994

The Swedish Rumble
No no, don’t back track now! You do you my friend - if forming a lynch mob and hounding a shoddy journalist out of his job is your bag that’s great! Go get ‘em tiger! :lol:
Ok then. Buckle up, here we go!

(“1959” would also be a hilarious name)

red thru&thru

Another way they can play around it is for them to buy a minority stake within the club but with the clear (written and legal) statement of buying more in the future. Thus United will be theirs in lets say a decade time which would give them time to raise Newcastle's value and to sell it off.
Any minority stake won't go down well with fans. Saudis would be investing to an even more hostile club than it is at the moment in time.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
Apart from someone making a shit load of money, what could that mean?
There's not much to read from this. From Ariel's perspective, they probably see way too much uncertainty in United's financial future now that they won't be able to get back into the Super League. They're cashing in their chips just like the Glazers.

Coops73

There's not much to read from this. From Ariel's perspective, they probably see way too much uncertainty in United's financial future now that they won't be able to get back into the Super League. They're cashing in their chips just like the Glazers.
So do we know who they sold them to and how much they made?

Coops73

Not exactly, no. The SEC filing in the U.S. doesn't specify the exact price(s) or the buyers, but you can get an idea of the price from here:
Damn, would like to know who they sold them to.

My maths is shocking but they’re made $30m dollars, is that correct?

Lastwolf

My maths is shocking but they’re made $30m dollars, is that correct?
Only if they had purchased all the shares at $13, which they probably didn't, the last time shares where the same level as now was 2018 so they probably made something but it's hard to tell.

They seem to be long term investors, they had 6 million shares after doubling their position in Sept of 2021 (~$18) and this latest sale was 25% of their now total, so they still have 9million shares, probably cleared some of the more expensive £18 dollar shares.

Last edited:

The Irish Connection

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see the leeches gone but it also kind of sickens me they're about to get so much money from someone. How were they allowed to buy us for just 250mil of their own money I'll never understand.
Yep. Disgusting. Can’t wait until their gone. Just hope the next lot are better.

crossy1686

career ending
Apart from someone making a shit load of money, what could that mean?
Nothing, this is why people were buying the stock on the news, so they could sell at a higher price. That's the stock market game, you don't hold it forever. These guys are here to make money and put it all in something else next week.

Coops73

Only if they had purchased all the shares at $13, which they probably didn't, the last time shares where the same level as now was 2018 so they probably made something but it's hard to tell.

They seem to be long term investors, they had 6 million shares after doubling their position in Sept of 2021 (~$18) and this latest sale was 25% of their now total, so they still have 9million shares, probably cleared some of the more expensive £18 dollar shares.
Ok cheers
Nothing, this is why people were buying the stock on the news, so they could sell at a higher price. That's the stock market game, you don't hold it forever. These guys are here to make money and put it all in something else next week.
This must happen all the time then, so why is it news now? apart from the obvious fact that the Glazers are looking to sell.

Coops73

Because the majority of United fans are desperate for even a tiny update, and this is their way to get some extra clicks.
True, I’m one of them I guess, I’m constantly updating this thread for any news, I’ve become a little obsessed but there’s a lot of scrolling through the posts about morality.

crossy1686

career ending
Ok cheers

This must happen all the time then, so why is it news now? apart from the obvious fact that the Glazers are looking to sell.
It does, it happens every single day. It's news because United fans are super interested in the stock price all of a sudden. A lot of the money that came into the stock was speculation money because they knew the club was up for sale, the stock price will drop on news of an actual sale, so there's always that.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
True, I’m one of them I guess, I’m constantly updating this thread for any news, I’ve become a little obsessed but there’s a lot of scrolling through the posts about morality.
To get around that, I just scroll through all of the posts that don't have a link or Tweet on them. I don't care if I miss out on anything juicy from the other posts.

Coops73

It does, it happens every single day. It's news because United fans are super interested in the stock price all of a sudden. A lot of the money that came into the stock was speculation money because they knew the club was up for sale, the stock price will drop on news of an actual sale, so there's always that.
Ok so if the price drops so do my pants?

Coops73

I read that Lewis Hamilton is part of a consortium hoping to buy United.
That’s with Ratcliffe isn’t it? Heard nothing since before the Glazers actually put the club up for sale/partial sale, he seemed to be talking quite publicly about it a couple of months ago, now nothing, not sure what that might mean.

C'est Moi Cantona

That’s with Ratcliffe isn’t it? Heard nothing since before the Glazers actually put the club up for sale/partial sale, he seemed to be talking quite publicly about it a couple of months ago, now nothing, not sure what that might mean.
To me that seems fairly obvious, he used the media to let everyone know he wants to buy United, and since then the Glazers have told everyone they are willing to sell, so Ratcliffe got what he wanted from going public, and now he doesn't have any use for the media anymore it's all gone quiet from him.

Whether that means the Glazers have accepted a bid from him pending them not getting better one from publicy saying the club is for sale, or the Glazers have given him a price that he won't match, or he's currently forming a consortium to ge tthe deal done, is anyone's guess, but the fact he's not saying anything to me means he is more than likely still in the mix to buy us.

Coops73

To me that seems fairly obvious, he used the media to let everyone know he wants to buy United, and since then the Glazers have told everyone they are willing to sell, so Ratcliffe got what he wanted from going public, and now he doesn't have any use for the media anymore it's all gone quiet from him.

Whether that means the Glazers have accepted a bid from him pending them not getting better one from publicy saying the club is for sale, or the Glazers have given him a price that he won't match, or he's currently forming a consortium to ge tthe deal done, is anyone's guess, but the fact he's not saying anything to me means he is more than likely still in the mix to buy us.
Him and Qataris perhaps? though I get the feeling they’re not the sort of group he’d get involved with, don’t know why I think that just a weird hunch.

AlPistacho

You can easily buy United shares. Could be be normal people buying it, just like with Twitter, speculating that it’ll go up. The actual future owners don’t have to buy those shares that are available once the sale is made they can take the company private and share owners get paid whatever their share equalled to the sale price.

C'est Moi Cantona

Him and Qataris perhaps? though I get the feeling they’re not the sort of group he’d get involved with, don’t know why I think that just a weird hunch.
Maybe, tbh I'll be happy if Ratcliffe is successful, in whatever form it takes. I just want some sort of sign as to what way it is going now, It's great what ETH is doing for the team, etc, but this is the most important thing happening at the club right now, and if they start backtracking, or do some of half hearted part sale deal, then I think I might give up.

It just feels like a massive moment for the future of the United, and personally I want some reassurance pretty soon that it is actually going to happen.

Coops73

Maybe, tbh I'll be happy if Ratcliffe is successful, in whatever form it takes. I just want some sort of sign as to what way it is going now, It's great what ETH is doing for the team, etc, but this is the most important thing happening at the club right now, and if they start backtracking, or do some of half hearted part sale deal, then I think I might give up.

It just feels like a massive moment for the future of the United, and personally I want some reassurance pretty soon that it is actually going to happen.
I hear ya.

ETH has brought some positivity back to the club on the pitch just need some off it.

Sushi Kagawa

Usual Dubai rumours doing the round on twitter. Give it a week and it will be Qatar again:)

RORY65

Not sure this is a factor as all. Isn’t this normal practice? If we owe this money then we must have money in the bank because we haven’t paid off the transfers?
Bit of a reach, this
At the last quarterly accounts (September 2022) we had £24m in cash and still owed more than £300m on transfers. The highest amount owed on transfers before that was the £258m in 2018 when we had £242m in cash so the situation now is pretty abnormal for us so I would imagine it is a factor albeit not the only one (the likely sale of the club in the near future and the lack of quality long-term options available in January also playing a part).

Messier1994

The Swedish Rumble
Not sure this is a factor as all. Isn’t this normal practice? If we owe this money then we must have money in the bank because we haven’t paid off the transfers?
Bit of a reach, this
Like sure, we could have cash flow issues (lot of gate postponed due to the World Cup), but I don’t see why that should be a big issue. It’s in the books already.

Kieran sometimes goes a little too much academic without a ton of connection with the reality…

I did look at our cash flow the last Q2 quarters (including back to 18-19 to get Covid free data), and it’s usually a quarter during which we are cash flow negative. So wouldn’t surprise me if we have to draw on the revolver to have cash at hand, but it’s still not the deciding factor as long as you are credit worthy.

Last edited:

Messier1994

The Swedish Rumble
MEN:
It seems to have all gone somewhat quiet regarding any potential Manchester United takeover from a new bidder - but this could just be the calm before the storm.
https://www.manchestereveningnews.c...chester-united-sir-jim-ratcliffe-25952298.amp

Which front is MEN referring to with its “it seems to have gone somewhat quiet” regarding the takeover, Twitter? The Athletic? Bloomberg/Financial Times?

Funny, it’s never quite on the Maguire front. Maybe they should put people on the ground to ask some about the takeover. What is Beckham saying? What is Ratcliffe saying? Beckham was out in the public watching his son play for Brentford’s youths the other day.

TrebleChamp99

Supports Liverpool
Yeah I keep seeing the usual suspects on twitter posting that the Dubai link is true and that the takeover is in progress.
Interestingly or not, depending on how you see it, they also claim the process will take several months and would likely wrap up in March.

Not much to go on but this is the most important period for our club and I like all the theories links and rumours no matter how silly.

Dubai would be a great option for us and comes with a level of prestige. Not that I love Dubai, last went about 10 years ago. But they are keen to be the best in their field and also seem to excel in the business sector where most of their cash comes from rather than OIL reserves.

Dubai Investment Fund has 320bln worth of assets that it manages *according to wiki, and has a yearly operating profit of 49bln, the operating profit. For comparison PIF (Saudi Public Investment Fund) has double the assets 680bln and operating profit of 85bln.

The wealth of these oil states is not really that relevant, in this instance we are talking about astronomical values and where Newcastle are the richest club on earth, they are not spending 30bln on a player and therefore the wealth means they have a distinct advantage over the likes of Dubai. For instance Chelsea owners are no where near that level of wealth but can spend as much as they see fit and redevelop the stadium - although I imagine this will dry up.

Dubai would be a real shot in the arm to united and to be honest the best option outside of Amazon and the like.

Time will tell, but if it is Dubai to take over, I think it would be an extremely exciting venture.

Reactions: 711

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
MEN:
It seems to have all gone somewhat quiet regarding any potential Manchester United takeover from a new bidder - but this could just be the calm before the storm.
https://www.manchestereveningnews.c...chester-united-sir-jim-ratcliffe-25952298.amp

Which front is MEN referring to with its “it seems to have gone somewhat quiet” regarding the takeover, Twitter? The Athletic? Bloomberg/Financial Times?

Funny, it’s never quite on the Maguire front. Maybe they should put people on the ground to ask some about the takeover. What is Beckham saying? What is Ratcliffe saying? Beckham was out in the public watching his son play for Brentford’s youths the other day.
This is where the football journalists show that they're out of their depth. The snippet is something out of a transfer story.

BarstoolProphet

Yeah I keep seeing the usual suspects on twitter posting that the Dubai link is true and that the takeover is in progress.
Interestingly or not, depending on how you see it, they also claim the process will take several months and would likely wrap up in March.

Not much to go on but this is the most important period for our club and I like all the theories links and rumours no matter how silly.

Dubai would be a great option for us and comes with a level of prestige. Not that I love Dubai, last went about 10 years ago. But they are keen to be the best in their field and also seem to excel in the business sector where most of their cash comes from rather than OIL reserves.

Dubai Investment Fund has 320bln worth of assets that it manages *according to wiki, and has a yearly operating profit of 49bln, the operating profit. For comparison PIF (Saudi Public Investment Fund) has double the assets 680bln and operating profit of 85bln.

The wealth of these oil states is not really that relevant, in this instance we are talking about astronomical values and where Newcastle are the richest club on earth, they are not spending 30bln on a player and therefore the wealth means they have a distinct advantage over the likes of Dubai. For instance Chelsea owners are no where near that level of wealth but can spend as much as they see fit and redevelop the stadium - although I imagine this will dry up.

Dubai would be a real shot in the arm to united and to be honest the best option outside of Amazon and the like.

Time will tell, but if it is Dubai to take over, I think it would be an extremely exciting venture.

I wouldn't mind Dubai either as I am quite familiar with the Emirate, but can't quite see why ICD would buy us due to the portfolio consisting of local and non-sporting assets and it also doesn't quite fit with their vision. Unless ICD wants to change its strategy to expand more globally or investing in new sectors, or maybe Sheikh Hamdan has personal reasons for wanting to use ICD to buy the club . Where did you get the operating profit numbers from? ICD reported a net profit of 10bn AED (approx £2,25bn) for 2021 after reporting a loss the previous year (probably due to the pandemic).

However, it might fit with Dubai Sports Council's vision of developing and help boosting Dubai's global reputation in the sports sector. DSC is led by Hamdan's brother.

Status
Not open for further replies.