Club Sale | It’s done!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
Right... So you leak a report so that you can anger the other half that isn't already angry?
Exactly. Surely if they were going to leak bullshit to take the heat off it would be around massive incoming transfers and not the sale.

Oldyella

Mid October will come and go and still we will be none the wiser about the takeover.

If I had the skills I'd make a meme of the mythological tale of the guy who rolls the big rock down a hill only for it to show up at the top again shortly afterwards. The rock would have Joel and Avram's faces on it and the guy rolling it would be Ten Hag.
Rolling a rock downhill seems pretty easy tbh.

Zora

Terrible journo reports bad news: RedCafe goes into meltdown/must be true/the world is ending.

Terrible journo reports good news: No truth whatsoever/BS merchant/it’s just a brief to quieten down the fans.

RedCafe Logic 101.

Kaos

Terrible journo reports bad news: RedCafe goes into meltdown/must be true/the world is ending.

Terrible journo reports good news: No truth whatsoever/BS merchant/it’s just a brief to quieten down the fans.

RedCafe Logic 101.
We've been hearing that good news for the best part of several months now, so its hardly a surprise its met with cynicism this time around. Especially when the sole source seems to be The S*n.

lostcauz

I'd say Custis is making a huge gamble if he's guessing.

It's one thing getting transfer stories wrong, but something as huge as this, you really are putting your credibility on the line. I don't think he's a bad journalist, I don't think he's the best wither but if he has got this wrong, I'll not be reading anything he produces again and I'm sure I'm not the only one who'll think that way.
I think he’s playing a guessing game. I do think there is a sale happening but can you put a timeline on something like this? I think he’s putting it down to there being a international break and hoping it gets announced then.

It’s all on the Qatari’s to complete their due diligence apparently, that would suggest the FA/UEFA have signed off on this? Is that process currently happening? Why isn’t that mentioned in his article? What’s the final price?
Just lacks any substantial detail.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
All I’m saying is that he had a source that called Greenwood’s situation correct the entire way though and that could be argued only came from the top.
Im not saying Custis is one hundred percent correct here but it holds more weight for me when it’s right on the heels of his Mason exclusives.
Nobody is going to prison now! Nobody went to prison when Bloomberg or the Financial Times had their little exclusives
You’re missing the point entirely.
  • The likelihood of someone within the club having that knowledge is slim.
  • If one person had that knowledge and leaked it to Custis, it would be easily traced back to them.
  • If multiple people in the club had that knowledge, there’s no way it would have only leaked to Custis. Sure he might be the only journalist but I can guarantee you that the share price would be close to or above $30 with some people in the know seeing an easy way to make money.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Need more substance to believe it. There's a good chance this is a deflection away from the Greenwood situation, Richard Arnold under pressure to step down, sit down protest this weekend, and the impending disappointment of the transfer window closing in just over a weeks time.

Want to believe it, but it all seems a little too convenient, and a story not revealing the source is suspicious.
Surely that goes against the norm? They usually have to protect their source.

lostcauz

• If one person had that knowledge and leaked it to Custis, it would be easily traced back to them.
  • If multiple people in the club had that knowledge, there’s no way it would have only leaked to Custis. Sure he might be the only journalist but I can guarantee you that the share price would be close to or above $30 with some people in the know seeing an easy way to make money.
Exactly this. After the similar article he wrote earlier in August, no one else has managed to find the same information and back him up.

Obligatory Nigel

For the good of the club I hope the sale is completed now and, whoever the next owner is, the focus can be on fixing what needs to be fixed and us fans can just focus on watching what will hopefully be some decent football. We've been a circus for too long. A well run United, as we once were, will be more than a match for any other team in the world.

Tarrou

I think it would have to be Arnold if it was anyone, but I doubt he'd do that. There is only a tiny benefit compared to the potential issues.

It's the sort of stupid shit Woodward would pull.

friendlytramp

More full of crap than a curry house toilet
Being leaked to provide the Glazers/hierarchy cover through to the end of the transfer window without making any significant investment.

When it doesn’t happen rumours will circulate about significant investment in the January window.

Part way through January stories will be leaked that takeover will happen in Feb/March.

Rinse and repeat.

cyberman

You’re assuming The Sun has obtained these exclusives by legal and ethical means
These situations aren’t as airtight as you make them out to be imo.
These points don’t explain why we were still getting leaks after the first round of bids when the NDAs were signed back then. Just because Keegan and The Times lost their source ( imo from Jim’s side) didn’t mean this has become the most airtight takeover in the history of sports.
Plus we have no idea what the higher ups in the club really know. We have Ten Hag of all people saying the Glazers promised to keep him informed of developments.

Tarrou

Being leaked to provide the Glazers/hierarchy cover through to the end of the transfer window without making any significant investment.

When it doesn’t happen rumours will circulate about significant investment in the January window.

Part way through January stories will be leaked that takeover will happen in Feb/March.

Rinse and repeat.
they've invested loads though?

friendlytramp

More full of crap than a curry house toilet
they've invested loads though?
They’ve invested literally nothing only taken out. They’ve allowed the clubs money to be spent on transfers in lieu of investing in the stadium and training ground etc but it’s evident that’s now running/run dry.

Rams

aspiring to be like Ryan Giggs
Journalists & newspapers use all kind of sources. Since Cuntis is the Sun’s main man in terms of exclusives on United it may not even be a source directly linked to Cuntis or a journalist in the UK. Knowing any exclusive from a Murdoch owned rag it would be very naive just to write it off unfortunately.

nmm85

Bit off tangent but something i've been thinking a lot of recently in regards to (sport) journalism. Is there no journalist integrity or right to provide true information? Literally, every article/tweet and we are all trying to figure out if its BS or not. How's it come to this?

One of the worst things about the transfer window and things like this sale is the amount of made up crap that "journalists" come out with. I know there is a greater topic with propaganda etc that's been going for decades/centuries but maaaaaan, it so shit that so many people have a voice and literally just make things up for clicks in sport. It should be illegal.

Hope fat man is right, anything but the Glazers.

Tarrou

They’ve invested literally nothing only taken out. They’ve allowed the clubs money to be spent on transfers in lieu of investing in the stadium and training ground etc but it’s evident that’s now running/run dry.
I thought you were referring to transfer spend this summer, apologies

AngeloHenriquez

Supports
Stevenage
Perhaps the source is closer to Qatar or Raine? Playing devil's advocate here as I don't really rate any Sun reporting.

Rams

aspiring to be like Ryan Giggs
Wasn’t exactly rocket science to be second guessing that if he did .
My guess would be that it could have been the staff lower down at the club themselves leaking MG stories, there were certainly multiple leaks to different rags the past weeks including how the staff felt about the situation. The club sale is a completely different situation and will be far more difficult to gain sources, but this is a Murdoch owned rag let us not forget.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
If someone within the club knew what Custis is claiming, then the circle of people that know would be a lot wider than Neil fecking Custis and the share price would be around $30 right now.
To be fair Custis is pretty wide.

philippexyz

This source is suspicious to me. I'm not British and not really overly familiar with British press, but i thought that The Sun is an unreliable tabloid hungry for clicks, drama, false controversy and spectacle. Similar to Mirror, for example.

Brits here might correct me if I'm wrong.

I assume status quo, no sale until further, more reliable notice.

cyberman

My guess would be that it could have been the staff lower down at the club themselves leaking MG stories, there were certainly multiple leaks to different rags the past weeks including how the staff felt about the situation. The club sale is a completely different situation and will be far more difficult to gain sources, but this is a Murdoch owned rag let us not forget.
Plus they broke the Maguire and Scott double bid from West Ham and their long distance medicals that was also laughed at.
The Sun have been on a bit of a roll with us lately. I wouldn’t be surprised if someone is getting friendly with the press to parachute out with the takeover and loss of a job happening soon.

Neilwij

I know it's the Sun and its a bit of a wrag but wasn't it Neil Custis that broke the story that the Saudi takeover was going through at Newcastle?

ColvaleGoa

The timing,... Custis. ...Sun

Lot of factors seem to be just in time to take heat of the recent results and planned protest.

Woziak

I think it would have to be Arnold if it was anyone, but I doubt he'd do that. There is only a tiny benefit compared to the potential issues.

It's the sort of stupid shit Woodward would pull.
Knowing Custis and the Sun, it’s more likely Arnold’s Secretary?

Status
Not open for further replies.