g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Club Sale | It’s done!

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedDevil@84

To all the sportswashing experts, can you please explain to me how City owners are sportswashing ?

No vague or superficial answers please.
I doubt it will be that easy. The forum can't even agree on what comes under sportswashing and what does not. There is lot of grey area.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Rich Dubai fan was never a fan pre Fergie years. This guy was. It’s not to do with race, it’s about the reason behind wanting the club.
His biggest sin is having an opinion based on staying in the European Union, yet you’re all for countries owning the club where women don’t have a say in anything.
Brexit FC? Come on you’re getting sloppy.
I thought the only problem with sports washing states was that they weren't fans before the Fergie days?!

alexthelion

The owner only needs to sign off on cheques.

I highly doubt that boehly is the one making the decisions on what players to target.

His management/scouting team aren't doing their jobs properly. boehly is passing with flying colours.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Boehly has made the decisions up to now, they've only just recently appointed a DoF.

Coops73

Just seen Julien Lauren’s on sky sports, he speculated that Ratcliffe/Ineos could sell Nice and would make a profit on his €100m purchase 4 years ago.

Anyone know what Nice could fetch now?

red thru&thru

I highly doubt that boehly is the one making the decisions on what players to target.

His management/scouting team aren't doing their jobs properly. boehly is passing with flying colours.
Under his tenure, which is very short, they are a mess. Look at where they are in the league.

He writes the cheques and he's the one responsible for getting the correct people to do their jobs.

Smacks me of Glazers and keeping Woodward to do a shocking job. Just because they're spending money, like we have, doesn't make them good.

TheGodsInRed

To all the sportswashing experts, can you please explain to me how City owners are sportswashing ?

Sportswashing is a term used to describe the practice of individuals, groups, corporations, or governments using sports to improve reputations tarnished by wrongdoing. A form of propaganda, sportswashing can be accomplished through hosting sporting events, purchasing or sponsoring sporting teams, or participating in a sport.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sportswashing

Member 101269

Nope, extremely different

Think of it like buying a house. You put a downpayment on and you have a mortgage in your name. A leveraged buyout is the mortgage would be on the houses name, and you would have nothing to do with it.
There is still interest payments, all you're doing is labelling different entities. They're not that different.

StiffTackle

And this is the major problem. Ratcliffe doesn't have that money on his own. If he uses INEOS, they'll expect a return on that investment regardless of his own beliefs. And a return on such an investment would require very modest spending and improvements since the purchase alone would cost a shitton of money that they'll need to quickly recoup.
In his interviews about buying Chelsea he was clear that Ineos wouldnt be purchasing the club and running it to make a profit. I dont think his plan would be any different at United.

When you consider they turnover £65bn a year it’s laughable to think they’d be interested in us for profit as we make chicken scratch compared to that.

The reason they would be buying us is for brand association and asset appreciation (its therefore in their interest for us to be successful on the pitch and well run off it). Given the success of the premier league and potential future revenues that can come from streaming direct to consumer I imagine they look at us a relatively low risk investment and as an asset which is only likely to appreciate in value.

Its the equivalent of buying property and renting it out knowing that the significant profits are going to come from the appreciation of the property price rather than the rental income.

As long as they commit up front to:
  • Paying off the debt
  • Building a new stadium
  • Upgrading the training ground
  • Not installing some unqualified DoF from within the Ineos organisation
  • Not taking nonsense advice from the class of 92 (the likes of which would have seen us hire poch or conte)
  • Most importantly keeping Erik ten Hag

I wouldnt be against Ineos.

DevilRed

Under his tenure, which is very short, they are a mess. Look at where they are in the league.

He writes the cheques and he's the one responsible for getting the correct people to do their jobs.

Smacks me of Glazers and keeping Woodward to do a shocking job. Just because they're spending money, like we have, doesn't make them good.
I think its unfair considering they had major upheaval behind the scenes. They basically got rid of their entire footballing management overnight and weren't able to replace them properly.

They were rumoured to be after michael edwards and several other high profile footballing director names.

But I'd be ecstatic if our next owners spent the same amount of money on the clubs transfers. The targets and what not can always be changed and fine tuned once a footballing structure is in place. Which they don't have but we do at the moment.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins

Do you understand sportswashing as a concept? It is an attempt to utilise sports to minimise the attention towards heinous acts and medieval customs.

Do you think Newcastle United fans think about journalists being chopped up? Or Manchester City fans consider gay people being executed? Probably not as much as their great new signings etc.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
There is still interest payments, all you're doing is labelling different entities. They're not that different.
Interest payments that the owner makes vs what the club makes. It is very different. The owner is not the club, and so the clubs internal money wouldn't be used to pay the debts. The owner and his funds would be used to pay the debt.

Taking out a loan to pay for a stadium, facilities etc is club debt. Taking out a loan to buy the club is debt to the buyer and has nothing to do with Man United. It wouldn't influence our operations. If the individual ever struggles financially to pay that loan, they sell the club which has 0 debt. If the club has debt and owners can't pay the debt, then the club goes bankrupt.

LordSpud

If Sir Jim buys us we drop to midtable in 5-10 years. We need top top dollar. But if everyones happy with just being lumped in as part of the also-rans like Everton, Southampton and the like then thats cool lets get him in!

Zippycup

This is dumb.

Every new potential owner should be judged against what's best for Manchester united.

What about if Jim was soley in it for the profit motive and wanted a 3 year return on investment? Should we just blindly support his takeover because he is English ?
Carcrash post.

red thru&thru

I think its unfair considering they had major upheaval behind the scenes. They basically got rid of their entire footballing management overnight and weren't able to replace them properly.

They were rumoured to be after michael edwards and several other high profile footballing director names.

But I'd be ecstatic if our next owners spent the same amount of money on the clubs transfers. The targets and what not can always be changed and fine tuned once a footballing structure is in place. Which they don't have but we do at the moment.
Prior to Bohely, we spent the most post Fergie. It hasn't brought us much success.

TheReligion

Abusive

You know that’s not true. Don’t you?

Boehly has been the DoF up until last week and has been doing everything

DevilRed

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Boehly has made the decisions up to now, they've only just recently appointed a DoF.
I'm sure he is part of the decision making process, but do you honestly believe the american billionaire was the one who scouted and identified the likes of badashile and fofana?

Must have been all those late nights in Connecticut watching the norweigian premier league having paid off.

:rolleyes:

Redfan94

Would rather us be bought by someone like Ratcliffe, build a squad over a number of years, have a spell of winning things and then rinse and repeat as opposed to being bought by an oil state, us dominating for a lengthy period of time, but at the expense of the identity of the club.

red thru&thru

Do you understand sportswashing as a concept? It is an attempt to utilise sports to minimise the attention towards heinous acts and medieval customs.

Do you think Newcastle United fans think about journalists being chopped up? Or Manchester City fans consider gay people being executed? Probably not as much as their great new signings etc.
Buying a club like Manchester United would highlight the issues even more. If ME want to sports wash, they need to stay away from us.

TheReligion

Abusive
If Sir Jim buys us we drop to midtable in 5-10 years. We need top top dollar. But if everyones happy with just being lumped in as part of the also-rans like Everton, Southampton and the like then thats cool lets get him in!
What a stupid WUM post

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
Based on what?!!
We haven’t dropped to mid table with a billion pounds worth of debt weighing on the club, with owners who take out plenty without putting anything in and with many of our main competitors financially doped by oil states. Why would that suddenly happen now?

bosnian_red

A state like what owns Newcastle, Man City or PSG is in charge. You bring the tribal fan base of the club over to your side. It generates positive publicity. You can invent sponsorships by telling a company who you are literally affiliated with to just sponsor the club for an arbitrary amount. The fans are happy and quiet because the club is successful and has infinite money, and so will defend the owners which in return is defending the country/state. The state in question wants to distract from oppression and human rights violations.

KiD MoYeS

Buying a club like Manchester United would highlight the issues even more. If ME want to sports wash, they need to stay away from us.
I agree buying Manchester United is hugely different to Manchester City or Newcastle United. It does feel like one of Manchester United or Liverpool, if not both, may be purchased as a sportswashing project and it will be a new era of sportswashing as a whole.

RedDevil@84

So you are saying that if Saudis kill off more journos, Newcastle fans will argue that it is ok? Otherwise it doesn't seem sportswashing has achieved anything different from how it used to be.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Based on what?!!
We haven’t dropped to mid table with a billion pounds worth of debt weighing on the club, with owners who take out plenty without putting anything in and with many of our main competitors financially doped by oil states. Why would that suddenly happen now?
Osmosis? Nice and United positions would find a natural balance between 5th and 10th.

crossy1686

career ending
I suspect Ratcliffe will be outbidded, but United could compete with any oil club with the right structure.
This just isn't true anymore and people need to move past this idea that United can hold its own in a landscape where City, PSG, Newcastle, maybe Liverpool, plus whoever's next exist. You're about to see the beginning of the Super League start, except it will be still called the PL.

StiffTackle

If he comes in and brings in another woodward then your scenario might prove correct.

But the new ffp rules a quite generous to a debt free Manchester United. If Erik ten Hag brings us back to the big table after half a decade or more of relative obscurity, new sponsorships (even dodgy ones like Citys) could give us even larger revenues and therefore more spending power.

Of course if they buy us but then cant afford to pay off the debt, the stadium and training ground, then I agree its not going to end well.

fezzerUTD

Would rather us be bought by someone like Ratcliffe, build a squad over a number of years, have a spell of winning things and then rinse and repeat as opposed to being bought by an oil state, us dominating for a lengthy period of time, but at the expense of the identity of the club.
Brexit FC (not personal just all the for Ratcliffe hopefuls are labelled).

Also the bolded part is racist you may want to edit that. (It’s not but the precious people on here will say it is).

bosnian_red

If they get Man United, then one of the biggest and most historic football clubs in world football is then a sportswashing tool for the ME, where they get an army of United fans who are happy in success (hundreds of millions). The biggest club in the UK is then owned by literally a different country who can pressure the UK through the club.

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
Yeah, just like the FIFA WC highlighted the issues in Qatar until the football started then everybody forgot about it and hailed the event as the best ever and the fat cats and morally reprehensible regime leaders all slapped each other on the back and congratulated themselves.

KiD MoYeS

So you are saying that if Saudis kill off more journos, Newcastle fans will argue that it is ok? Otherwise it doesn't seem sportswashing has achieved anything different from how it used to be.
Not at all but ask your average Newcastle United fan about Saudi atrocities and watch the whataboutery they retort with. I've seen it with mates who support Newcastle. Sportswashing works.

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
Don't see Ineos/Ratcliffe getting involved without them thinking we should make at least top-4 every year. Why would they pay 5 billion for the club, and be happy for us to be midtable? Way cheaper to buy a midtable team you donuts.

Spoony

The People's President
This just isn't true anymore and people need to move past this idea that United can hold its own in a landscape where City, PSG, Newcastle, maybe Liverpool, plus whoever's next exist. You're about to see the beginning of the Super League start, except it will be still called the PL.
How much revenue do we make?

Status
Not open for further replies.