g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Club Sale | It’s done!

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedDevilQuebecois

If you don’t offer enough for the sellers to sell (never mind a reported inability to provide verification for the funds) then those pledges just amount to rhetoric or words on a piece of paper.
That's not even an answer. Do you even want the surrounding area around Old Trafford to be developped in the same way that those guys in Eastlands have seen the fruits of such project on their own end?

I personally think you have a very serious problem if real estate development is not something you want in order to revitalize any community.

Kinsella

Copy & Paste Merchant
So you can repeatedly ask whether a communist dictator can be a good or accepted as a good owner, but you are unable to answer one valid question that relates to the prospective future of the club?
I will answer it. On paper the offer which benefits the local community more is the better offer for the local community. But that particular offer came with a cost to the club’s heritage and reputation, therefore I wouldn’t have supported it. In any case the offer wasn’t high enough to be considered so it’s a moot point now.

Zora

I bet this "sale" drags on for another 6 months.

Stuck in Neutral is United. and we're coasting backwards ffs
I would say we've got the Glazers for another year or two at least.

We really need to crash & burn now. We need to finish midtable, we need to get really bad on and off the pitch. Then, and only then - will the Glazers start getting fed up with the mess because it won't make them money.

Finishing in the top 4 last season cursed us. It always keeps them on board. It's pointless qualifying for the Champions League with our structure anyway, because:

1. The manager isn't good enough.

2. His signings aren't good enough. And when we finish in the top 4, he gets even more money to waste on new (bad) players.

3. Our coaching staff and lack of footballing brains above Ten Hag will just get found out in the CL. We will struggle to get out of the group - what was the point in getting into the CL in the first place? For money? We've just wasted that on crap signings anyway.

It's a mess, from top to bottom. Nothing will ever change until we go to the absolute dogs. No CL football. No Europa. 10th place finish. Then, and only then - will the matchgoing fans really turn, only then will they really make a noise. Then, and only then - will the sponsors leave.

But whilst we plod along, getting 4th every other season, the Glazers will be more than happy and they'll stay on as owners.

Zora

the match day fans are a disgrace - you want to make a difference boycott the games , protest the crap instead on match days and stop spending at the stores , turning up with newton heath scarfes is laughable at this stage and quite embaressing
Why don't you hop onto a plane and show them how its done then? Pull yourself away from your dodgy illegal stream and actually attempt to make a difference.

The matchgoing fans have spent thousands following Utd home and away for decades. Posts like yours are why non-Mancunian Utd fans get tarnished as plastic & spoiled brats. What have you done to protest against the Glazers apart from moan at RedCafe?

vivaronaldo

Why don't you hop onto a plane and show them how its done then? Pull yourself away from your dodgy illegal stream and actually attempt to make a difference.

The matchgoing fans have spent thousands following Utd home and away for decades. Posts like yours are why non-Mancunian Utd fans get tarnished as plastic & spoiled brats. What have you done to protest against the Glazers apart from moan at RedCafe?
you just quoted the problem ....youve spent thousands - how on earth do you want to see change when you keep lining the glazers pockets

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
That's not even an answer. Do you even want the surrounding area around Old Trafford to be developped in the same way that those guys in Eastlands have seen the fruits of such project on their own end?

I personally think you have a very serious problem if real estate development is not something you want in order to revitalize any community.
You do realise the locals that lived around that redeveloped area in the eastlands were priced out of their own homes don't you and aren't exactly happy about it?

Bert_

the match day fans are a disgrace - you want to make a difference boycott the games , protest the crap instead on match days and stop spending at the stores , turning up with newton heath scarfes is laughable at this stage and quite embaressing
We all appreciate your commitment to making a difference by continuing your boycott. Can't imagine how difficult that's been for you. True hero.

Bert_

The initial re-devolpment of Eastlands was done for the 2002 Commenwealth games. City's Stadium was the built to host it along with the rest of SportCity. That's was all done via goverment grants and mancunian's council tax payments.

The Abu Dahbi lot have spent some money upgrading the stadium and built the training complex and smaller ground for youth team and women's matches. Which was entirely for City's benefit.

Apart from that, the only other developments have been a new Asda and loads of flats and "town houses" (basically terraced houses but smaller) built on land Abu Dahbi got for peanuts through controversial deals and partnerships with the council. Built them cheap and sold them high. Just like all the other real estate sharks. They've made a killing on those.

That's it. What was a brownfield site of old warehouses is now the SportCity projects Abu Dhabi weren't involved in and loads of high density, overpriced real estate they've flogged for massive profit. Nothing else there.

Pickle85

You should reread my post as you obviously missed the main point - it's not a big issue for me at all in the context of Manchester United, because again their ownership of the club will not change anything on an environmental level.
But you literally said: ' I have a much bigger issue with the environmental destruction and BREXIT politics of Sir Jim than human rights in the Gulf.' so clearly the environmental success is important to you. So why bring it up as a negative for Ratcliffe when it's a real black mark for Qatar too?

Salford_Red83

I would say we've got the Glazers for another year or two at least.

We really need to crash & burn now. We need to finish midtable, we need to get really bad on and off the pitch. Then, and only then - will the Glazers start getting fed up with the mess because it won't make them money.

Finishing in the top 4 last season cursed us. It always keeps them on board. It's pointless qualifying for the Champions League with our structure anyway, because:

1. The manager isn't good enough.

2. His signings aren't good enough. And when we finish in the top 4, he gets even more money to waste on new (bad) players.

3. Our coaching staff and lack of footballing brains above Ten Hag will just get found out in the CL. We will struggle to get out of the group - what was the point in getting into the CL in the first place? For money? We've just wasted that on crap signings anyway.

It's a mess, from top to bottom. Nothing will ever change until we go to the absolute dogs. No CL football. No Europa. 10th place finish. Then, and only then - will the matchgoing fans really turn, only then will they really make a noise. Then, and only then - will the sponsors leave.

But whilst we plod along, getting 4th every other season, the Glazers will be more than happy and they'll stay on as owners.
You know what, I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
As @Bert_ pointed out, it is still a shit hole around the stadium I don't know how they have gotten away with the world thinking they turned Eastlands into Covent Garden.

Bowlcut11

you just quoted the problem ....youve spent thousands - how on earth do you want to see change when you keep lining the glazers pockets
I think some, unlike yourself seemingly, have grown up supporting United as their local team and want to back the players, manager and club as a whole.

It's easy to sit back in an armchair and say what should be done but when your culture and heritage is interwoven with the club, you're going to support no matter what. You don't have to agree with the owners (and most don't hence the scarves you seem to hate so much) but to not turn up and support the team itself is an impossibility to matchgoing fans.

Glad your boycott is going strong though!

Reactions: Rood

Salford_Red83

I think some, unlike yourself seemingly, have grown up supporting United as their local team and want to back the players, manager and club as a whole.

It's easy to sit back in an armchair and say what should be done but when your culture and heritage is interwoven with the club, you're going to support no matter what. You don't have to agree with the owners (and most don't hence the scarves you seem to hate so much) but to not turn up and support the team itself is an impossibility to matchgoing fans.

This is counter productive though.
At some point the damage being done to the club becomes untenable, but its being enabled by fans who go to games or buy official merchandise, more than most want to seem to admit.
And justify it by saying "... support the team, get behind the lads" while sat there being rained on through a leaky roof, in a crumbling stadium with your knees in the back of the person in front of you, while watching us slide further and further into mediocrity.

"Stand up if you hate Glazers!" - yeah that'll work.

It's really passive protests that achieves nothing.

Also you're coming across as rather snob-ish to be honest.

black country red

The initial re-devolpment of Eastlands was done for the 2002 Commenwealth games. City's Stadium was the built to host it along with the rest of SportCity. That's was all done via goverment grants and mancunian's council tax payments.

The Abu Dahbi lot have spent some money upgrading the stadium and built the training complex and smaller ground for youth team and women's matches. Which was entirely for City's benefit.

Apart from that, the only other developments have been a new Asda and loads of flats and "town houses" (basically terraced houses but smaller) built on land Abu Dahbi got for peanuts through controversial deals and partnerships with the council. Built them cheap and sold them high. Just like all the other real estate sharks. They've made a killing on those.

That's it. What was a brownfield site of old warehouses is now the SportCity projects Abu Dhabi weren't involved in and loads of high density, overpriced real estate they've flogged for massive profit. Nothing else there.
Wasting your trying local to some of these e fans they wouldn’t know where Manchester was if you threw out of a plane and they landed slap bang in the middle of the arndale

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
I will answer it. On paper the offer which benefits the local community more is the better offer for the local community. But that particular offer came with a cost to the club’s heritage and reputation, therefore I wouldn’t have supported it. In any case the offer wasn’t high enough to be considered so it’s a moot point now.
I cannot comprehend how anyone can look at the dire state of the club now and think that kind of offer is a risk to the club's heritage and reputation - the biggest risk to the heritage of this club is no change at all

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
At some point the damage being done to the club becomes untenable, but its being enabled by fans who go to games or buy official merchandise, more than most want to seem to admit.
And justify it by saying "... support the team, get behind the lads" while sat there being rained on through a leaky roof, in a crumbling stadium with your knees in the back of the person in front of you, while watching us slide further and further into mediocrity.

Your mistake is thinking the fans have any real power to change the owners - they really dont

Red_toad

IMHO the only power we have is to get games called off.
Are you able to join in such actions? I mean a life time ban from the ground and a court appearance or 2 aren't on people's to do lists. You go first and maybe others will follow?

Salford_Red83

Are you able to join in such actions? I mean a life time ban from the ground and a court appearance or 2 aren't on people's to do lists. You go first and maybe others will follow?
What kind of protests do you think people are advocating for?

Flying high

Your mistake is thinking the fans have any real power to change the owners - they really dont
Of course we do. We've just lacked critical mass, so far.

A 20,000 strong peaceful picket line around the ground gets a match cancelled. Show that we are prepared to repeat until the owners are gone, I'd guess we start getting desperate promises within 2 weeks.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
You cannot sit there and criticise the match going fans. The problem we have is the owners just sit in Florida and are not feeling any heat from the fans protests etc. They just don't care. Even if not in Europe they will still manage to pull in some second rate sponsors and say how big we still are. The only way they would suffer and it is drastic is if we got relegated for a number of years and they lose the lucrative TV deals.

Gordon Godot

A 20,000 strong peaceful picket line around the ground gets a match cancelled. Show that we are prepared to repeat until the owners are gone, I'd guess we start getting desperate promises within 2 weeks.
Exactly. The fans have lots of power. Question is whether they choose to use it.

Flying high

I don't feel comfortable criticising people who go to games, though it would be great if more joined on when protests are organised. I'd certainly recommend not spending money on the concourse while there, or on expensive sky sports packages, or buying official merchandise. Spending extra is absolutely supporting the glazers, not United.

UpWithRivers

This is just nonsense and gets the thumbs up? It an insult to everyone that protests and stands up to the establishment even though they love what the establishment is control over. How many protests have thier been againt the Government? Do people say I'm British and I find since my heritage is interwoven with the Government I cannot protest against them. What about the actual protests at Old Trafford. That is hurting the players and the club in some ways but its for the greater good. What about Nurses and doctors proesting and hurting patients. It goes on and on. Not turning up to support the team is not an impossibility. Its a choice. You might tell yourself its in your blood and you just cannot do it. But thats bullshit. You can support the club and protest and not buy stuff. The protesting, not turning up for games, not buying merchandise is supporting the club

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
The only way the Glazers go is if we seriously fall off. And I don't mean a season or two out of the top 4/in Europa, I mean if we miss out on all sorts of European revenue/are struggling to finish in the top half of the table for multiple seasons and there simply is no pathway back to economic growth without insane amounts of expenditure, then maybe MAYBE they'll go.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
IMHO the only power we have is to get games called off.
Even that is incredibly difficult to achieve - it happened once but there were a unique set of circumstances (COVID, no fans in the ground, ESL etc)

Next match there was huge increased security and police presence

Plus many fans were arrested, banned for life etc

You a dreaming if you think this is achievable - the only thing that would happen is mass infighting among our fans which is the worst thing that could happen

Flying high

You a dreaming if you think this is achievable - the only thing that would happen is mass infighting among our fans which is the worst thing that could happen
That's the point about critical mass. Once sufficient numbers have decided that enough is enough and to either join in or step back, then there would be little need to stop other fans going in. Which is what I assume you mean by infighting.

We get there early and delay/prevent staff from going in. Delay team buses etc just make it really difficult to get the match staged on time. Keep it peaceful, but make sure the message is heard, loud and clear. I'm pretty sure 2 games in a row is all it would take to finally burn these leeches off.

For a few hundred people to achieve this would likely take criminal activity, as we've seen in the past. In sufficient numbers though, we can achieve this just by sheer mass. No hostility towards the club staff, other fans, or even the police, is needed.

FerociousCorgis

They probably want a consolidated brand and the scouses are also for sale.
prob. Just saying that another option for them that they would be smart to look in to would be a midtable epl team. The price difference on buying would be ridiculous, and they could easily go the newcastle route of slowly building it up without the quick pressure and really become a force while still racking in the dough on their investment.

TsuWave

didn’t know where to post this, but feck me man - sometimes supporting this club feels like a bitter pill:

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
This is exactly it.

Nothing that breaks the law, or be in any way violent.
Just a wave of fans around Old Trafford preventing coaches getting to the games.
I'm not a legal expert but I think what you mentioned would be breaking the law.

Status
Not open for further replies.