Club Sale | It’s done!

Status
Not open for further replies.

pascell

Murtough did a lot of good at the club from what I remember reading, he probably just isn't in the right role at the moment.
He helped build the women's team and sort out the academy, those are where he should be involved. We need the best of the best involved with transfers and recruitment in the men's first team to sort out the mess we're in.

pascell

Why? You think Murtough hasn't done any good at the club in the years before being made DoF?
See my previous post, yes he has helped build the womens team and played a part in sorting out the academy, he just shouldn't be the DoF and should never have been given that role.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
He helped build the women's team and sort out the academy, those are where he should be involved. We need the best of the best involved with transfers and recruitment in the men's first team to sort out the mess we're in.
See my previous post, yes he has helped build the womens team and played a part in sorting out the academy, he just shouldn't be the DoF and should never have been given that role.
So what is the problem with retaining him at the club? The tweet said they want Edwards to control the footballing side.

pascell

So what is the problem with retaining him at the club? The tweet said they want Edwards to control the footballing side.
It says they want Ashworth to control the footballing side, that does not mean Murtough wont be a part of it. Speculation I guess at this point and we'll have to wait and see, but Murtough should not be involved with transfers for the men's team in any capacity.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
It says they want Ashworth to control the footballing side, that does not mean Murtough wont be a part of it. Speculation I guess at this point and we'll have to wait and see, but Murtough should not be involved with transfers for the men's team in any capacity.
I think it's very clear that Murtough wouldn't, from what the tweet said.

Redstain

It sounds like a demotion for Murtough more than anything else.

AFC NimbleThumb

Have you ever worked for a company changing hands in a takeover, hostile or otherwise? I've had the pleasure twice and honestly there's a point at which nobody gives a shit anymore. Uncertainty is murderous for a companies morale from the top down. If nobody knows if they'll still be there tomorrow, they often have one eye on the exit door and even if there's a difference of 1% to the effort an employee puts in - it might not sound like a lot, but start applying that across all the staff and management too, and start applying that across every single day you're waiting for the news of what's happening? It soon adds up.

It was no different for Newcastle. A lot of the reason their improvement can be put down to simply thinking that they are going places now. Now the likes of Almiron, Longstaff etc have that carrot of being part of a new middle eastern superteam and with the rewards that follow they look like they've been reborn. Under the Glazers where are WE going?

Ten Hag might be our equivalent of Steve Bruce right now for all we know. But he deserves some credit for working under these conditions - as did Steve Bruce quite honestly.
Guess we’re unlucky that we’re not in the middle of a takeover.

You ask where WE are going under the Glazers which is a great question considering they’re going nowhere so I guess EtH can continue being Bruce for many more years to come.

This club/team is not set up to win the biggest things consistently, we all know that so I don’t judge EtH by the yardstick that he should be challenging City. I look at the things EtH has control over &/or influence over & he’s certainly more Bruce than Eddie fecking Howe right now.

GazTheLegend

Guess we’re unlucky that we’re not in the middle of a takeover.

You ask where WE are going under the Glazers which is a great question considering they’re going nowhere so I guess EtH can continue being Bruce for many more years to come.

This club/team is not set up to win the biggest things consistently, we all know that so I don’t judge EtH by the yardstick that he should be challenging City. I look at the things EtH has control over &/or influence over & he’s certainly more Bruce than Eddie fecking Howe right now.
It's definitely more along the lines of a merger rather than a takeover, you're right in that - but the feeling is similar. As to your second point you're probably right, I'm not inclined to argue that either Ten Hags signings have been great or the performances which have to be the yardstick of your manager in the end, I'm just personally inclined towards defending our managers for the most part because I don't think it's an easy job for all the reasons mentioned and more. Maybe we could do better but it's a similar story every season. I defended Solskjaer right up until the indefensible performances of the final year, I wondered at where van Gaal would take us and was generally pleased with Jose until the toxicity crept in, I just don't see where we go now and hope that INEOS have the right idea of how to take us forward.

RedUnited86

Whether it's announced today, tomorrow or at the end of January, doesn't really make much difference.

It'll take 6-8 weeks for Premier League approval during which time Jim can't touch the club, by which point January transfer window will have come and gone anyway.

Will be a tough few months but as long as we're ready to go for the summer.

AFC NimbleThumb

It's definitely more along the lines of a merger rather than a takeover, you're right in that - but the feeling is similar. As to your second point you're probably right, I'm not inclined to argue that either Ten Hags signings have been great or the performances which have to be the yardstick of your manager in the end, I'm just personally inclined towards defending our managers for the most part because I don't think it's an easy job for all the reasons mentioned and more. Maybe we could do better but it's a similar story every season. I defended Solskjaer right up until the indefensible performances of the final year, I wondered at where van Gaal would take us and was generally pleased with Jose until the toxicity crept in, I just don't see where we go now and hope that INEOS have the right idea of how to take us forward.
Football management isn’t an easy job so when Ineos invest do people actually believe his job will get easier? The demand for better performances will be pretty much instant & he’ll lose control over squad composition, I think it’s actually going to get worse for him. Is EtH operating under particularly difficult circumstances, of course but this squad he has a direct hand in its look & their performances, which are not good enough.

I actually agree that the mood should lift somewhat post Ineos but my worry is EtH is already in survival mode, yesterday was the result first performance we tend to see prior to most managers leaving. You don’t build off of that yesterday, it’s a one-off gameplan.

I’m all for keeping EtH &/or any manager so long as there is a case to make on the merits of their management. Look at it this way, we all know the Glazers are incompetent so why would their managerial hirings be any different? It is very much possible that the manager & the set up are not correct.

Last edited:

miliebrowndivorceattorney

Whether it's announced today, tomorrow or at the end of January, doesn't really make much difference.

It'll take 6-8 weeks for Premier League approval during which time Jim can't touch the club, by which point January transfer window will have come and gone anyway.

Will be a tough few months but as long as we're ready to go for the summer.
Yup. If we end p13, we sure as hell will attract Aluatre Martinez, Mbappe, Tchouchaivikofski or whatever that great French Madrid player is. Also, the lower we go, the lower Ratclif has to pay. Its a win-win situation for our new power to be! I bet he dreams we get relegated wich would even be better for take over. Put a finger in the eye of those darn Glazer!. No, Jimmy Ratcliff, he really has our best interest at heart. I like him already.

hobbers

Well for a start he doesn’t deal with the negotiation.
No he was just flying out to Barcelona and Turin for a holiday.

And Daily Mail just reported that transfer negotiator Murtough jetted off to Saudi to try and arrange player sales for a laugh.

UpWithRivers

The Press and Youtubers have dined out on this for a year. Next week. Next week. Oh look what DOF is coming. New stadium! What a load of bolloxs.

LisburnWhite

Don't know which is going to happen sooner, Jim and his crew joining the party or Jeffrey Donaldson getting the DUP back in government.
It's a real Christmas nail-biter

tomaldinho1

Murtough did a lot of good at the club from what I remember reading, he probably just isn't in the right role at the moment.
Yeah he's got an amazing background in bringing youth through and planning the pathway, so we obviously put him in as a DoF (kind of backs up the idea the Glazers created a DoF who wasn't a DoF to shut the fans up for a bit). he should just do what he's got experience in.

crossy1686

career ending
I see Murtough is making a last ditch attempt to save his job before INEOS arrive and see how munch money they're burning through in salaries for players that aren't worth it.

roseguy64

I see Murtough is making a last ditch attempt to save his job before INEOS arrive and see how munch money they're burning through in salaries for players that aren't worth it.
Yeah because they would have had no look at the finances already

Mainoldo

I’m confused how will Manchester United acquire someone working for Newcastle. Ain’t they a better run club than us?

I joke. Hopefully he brings Bruno with him. Even though I heard that move was under the previous regime.

TrebleChamp99

Incorrectly predicted ten Hag’s departure
Understand this is the official reason behind the hold up. But I really struggle to believe it is actually true.
imagine getting this far down the line without considering the implications of 25% ownership being in charge. Beggars belief.

FerociousCorgis

im still so amazed by those who are so positive and hopeful that this gets done and sees any real positive change. Congrats to you all.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Sorry how would getting Ashworth work? He’s only just left Brighton to move to Newcastle and was on gardening leave for like 6 months. He’s going to move again?

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Ashworth is probably the best option but he won't join now. I mean he just joined Newcastle.

Eugenius

Does Ratcliffe have any track record of being good on the football side or people just happy he's not called Glazer?

Status
Not open for further replies.