Club Sale | It’s done!

Status
Not open for further replies.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
What if the tory govt abolished abortions and other rights ? Would you advocate united being shifted elsewhere until things are sorted out back home ?
State ownership of the club isn't the same as the club being based in that state. Which makes that a pretty braindead comparison.

But if we imagine a make-believe scenario where Manchester United was bought by this Tory-led UK state, they wouldn't even need to make those changes for me to stop supporting the club.

Messier1994

The Swedish Rumble
I doubt that they would put their most expensive asset for sale without first testing the water and see the vibes around it.
For sure, and we saw that the Saudi’s made a bid for Chelsea.

Raine can of course sound the market with some main interested parties beforehand and know that some have an intention to make an offer and that some don’t. But 10bn can be afforded by quiet many different constellations and it’s impossible to know how many could join up for this bid.

The Chinese for example owns a significant part of City.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
State ownership of the club isn't the same as the club being based in that state. Which makes that a pretty braindead comparison.

But if we imagine a make-believe scenario where Manchester United was bought by this Tory-led UK state, they wouldn't even need to make those changes for me to stop supporting the club.
I don't understand why people can't make a distinction between sovereign funds/State backed wealth, and individual companies or conglomerates based in a country. It's really not very difficult.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
That would make for interesting reading, does anyone have a link for that post please?
He hired his brother for one when he tooko er th club. No experience in running a club.
Needless to say he notched it up and eventually left the club.

westmeath

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
As an eternal pessimist I wish I could.
Glazers, as crap as they are, have invested in the team.
We could end up with owners who won't spend any money or just as bad, corrupt owners sportwashing.
They have not invested in the team. They have only ever spent money generated by the club, an investment would mean they introduced their own money.

Graeme Souness has often made this statement about the Glazers and it’s just false.

LordSpud

As most of us know, that mufcmpb account is absolutely awful. In fact if you click the profile on that tweet theres nothing about it at all.

I think it will be a US consortium of some kind.

Adnan

Talent Spotter

From the above article: "Those with digital expertise, such as Facebook and Amazon, are seen as credible suitors. However, sovereign states are also likely to be interested. Dubai is yet to follow Abu Dhabi (Manchester City), Qatar (Paris Saint-Germain) and Saudi Arabia (Newcastle United) and is viewed as a serious contender. Ownership of PSG is unlikely to be an obstacle for Qatar, currently hosting the World Cup, according to sources in Doha."

Last edited:

red thru&thru

In addition to the above, since the Raine Group did the Chelsea sale, I thought it could be interesting to look at the rough time schedule for that transaction:

1. Abramovich was of course aware that he was likely to be sanctioned by the UK since late February 2021.

2. Abramovich put up the club for sale on 2 March 2022. At this point, Raine Group was engaged.

3. Raine Group invited interested buyers to make indicative offers for the club, including of course presenting themselves. The deadline for indicative offers to be submitted was set to 18 March 2022.

4. Around six- to seven bids were believed to be made for Chelsea, including:
* Stephen Pagliuca -- Founder (I think) of Bain Capital, and co-owner of the Boston Celtics
* Todd Boehly
* Saudi Media Group
* Centricus -- "An entirely British backed bid led by London-based asset management firm Centricus "
* Nick Candy -- U.K. property developer. Interested in building a new London stadium?
* Martin Broughton -- Former LFC chairman, backed by consortium
* Ricketts family -- Cubs owner

And perhaps also one or more of:
* Oaktree Capital
* Woody Johnson
-- Johnson, 74, is an heir to the Johnson & Johnson consumer products fortune.

5. By 25 March 2022, a short list was created with 3-4 bidders.

The Saudi Media Group's offer did not make the short list.

6. The shortlisted bidders was given until April 11 to make improved offers for Chelsea

7. A preferred buyer could not be selected by mid April, as intended.

8. On the 28 April, Boehly was named the preferred buyer.

9. On the 29 April, Jimmy Radcliff made a bid.

10. On 28 May, the sale to Boehly was approved.

Some thoughts:
- The Saudi offer did not make the short list with reference to how it had desire to do due diligence on the club which didn't play well with Chelsea's eagerness for a quick sale. From my POV, this is 99.9% a made-up excuse to not get Saudi owners of Chelsea. Like I can of course not be 100% certain, but a DD of a soccer team must be very light. Compare it to a company with 10 factories and 100,000 employees. My bet is definitely that they didn't want to sell the club from an Oligarch to a dictatorship.

The Saudi bid was rumored to be of 2.1bn, and the sale ended up being 2.5bn. But ultimately, what you do is that create this short list, and then give the bidders on it to bid over each other. So that doesn't mean much.

- The time table above, just under 4 months, is tight and Chelsea wanted to get something done quickly. But its at the same time nothing extreme. I would say that 3-4 months is possible, 6-8 months is giving the process good time, and if it goes beyond that -- there is either some hick-up or the Glazers are shopping for a higher bidder to come out of the woodwork.
LOVING all your insights.

Thank you. :)

Alvaro Maestre

Last Man Standing 2 finalist 2023/24
Now it turns out that every billionaire that can buy United, is going to be worse than the Glazers. Happy that the club is not run by fans, you would destroy it in a second.

Superden

the norwegians love utd dont they. why cant their state / soverign oil fund buy it. the could have ole back as club rep or something?

oneway

Now it turns out that every billionaire that can buy United, is going to be worse than the Glazers. Happy that the club is not run by fans, you would destroy it in a second.
Fully agree fan ownership would not work, fans disagree with each other on so many level.

JustKatie

They have not invested in the team. They have only ever spent money generated by the club, an investment would mean they introduced their own money.

Graeme Souness has often made this statement about the Glazers and it’s just false.
Yes yes but you're missing the point. They could've just you know KEPT the money earned and not invested in the team at all.

Whether or not it's THEIR money, money has been spent on the team instead of 100M a year (from transfers) going into their pockets.

I don't know why people can't see this.

Ole'sattheWheel

From the above article: "Those with digital expertise, such as Facebook and Amazon, are seen as credible suitors. However, sovereign states are also likely to be interested. Dubai is yet to follow Abu Dhabi (Manchester City), Qatar (Paris Saint-Germain) and Saudi Arabia (Newcastle United) and is viewed as a serious contender. Ownership of PSG is unlikely to be an obstacle for Qatar, currently hosting the World Cup, according to sources in Doha."
I’m inclined to not believe this reporting seeing as Facebook isn’t even the name of the company

clarkydaz

When Glazers took over we were top of the world and the brand couldnt fail. Our image has taken a battering, the only way to revive it is to be successful again.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!

Just assuming for the moment that this is true (big assumption) - where would Amazon stand from a broadcasting point of view?

There’d be a conflict for them as a broadcaster if they (or Bezos personally even) owned one of the teams in the league, surely?

Isn’t this what stopped Murdoch back in the day?

NecssryEvil

Winning your division isn't the single the single thing making a team fairly good, the Jets have been in the same division than arguably the best head coach and probably QB of all time. They were a good team around 2010 and remained around .500 until the mid 2010. The Broncos decline predates the change in ownership it was under "the best owners in football" and I'm not actually sure from Walton when the Broncos were officially purchased this summer.

And Kroenke is an awful owner disliked by nearly every fanbase of the franchises he owns.
Fair enough on the not winning the division thing but you are slightly off on Pat Bowlen ownership time frame. He stepped down in 2014 and they had just got to the SB the year earlier. Got their asses kicked but won it all in 2015. Then the problems started.

I just want someone like him that has a deep desire to win, is willing to spend the money it takes to do that but knows when to step back and let the management team do their thing.

Actually, I just want United back to competing for trophies every year, so whatever leads to that works for me - really hope it isn’t oil money though, makes it harder to be proud of how it all gets done.

Zed 101

Yes yes but you're missing the point. They could've just you know KEPT the money earned and not invested in the team at all.

Whether or not it's THEIR money, money has been spent on the team instead of 100M a year (from transfers) going into their pockets.

We understand this, but the point is that they have spent enough to keep the club profitable through transfers, whilst systematically failing to invest in the infrastructure and facilities.

Yes the Glazers could have bled the club dry and not allowed any expenditure over net sales (akin to Ashley at Newcastle) but they are shrewd enough to have marketed the club well and spent enough to keep us competitive. They have spent and recruited poorly (or people have on their behalf) which is a different issue, but now the lack of expenditure in other areas is catching up and cannot continue to be put off, so the question is actually invest or sell, make a massive profit and let somebody else invest.

The other point is that if Utds profits had not been spent servicing debts that the Glazers have levied against the club, we would either have much more in the bank now, or would have been able to spend much more on players than we have.

When we talk about bad owners, on the face the Glazers could be worse, but objectively they purchased the club using a mortgage and then have levied debt, after debt against the club, whilst letting the bricks and mortar crumble, rather than thinking about how they could have been worse, understand how much Utd have paid servicing debts which they never needed, and how much better the club would be had this not been the case.

Ratcliffe sounds like a nice chap, but isn't he actually... quite crap at actually running a football club?
There’s a huge difference between running Nice and running Manchester United mind. One, even during the worst of times, can attract big name managers, huge up and coming managers, top players, people who are desperate to be a DoF here etc.
Not quite sure how well someone does at Nice can be applied here.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout

The Glazers turned up and leveraged the clubs assets to take out a loan to buy the club, they are parasites in every sense of the word. Imagine me turning up to your house and telling you that it's now mine, and as a deposit on the mortgage I gave them your bank details. You haven't got a say in it, it's mine now. There's a reason why bogus deals like the Glazer one can no long happen in this country.

They have provided nothing of value yet taken millions out of the club. It's obscene. That people should be grateful that the club hasn't been asset stripped is a really low bar to set.

They didn’t really have a choice mind, United needs to remain either competitive or extremely well marketed (big name transfers, Ronaldo, Di Maria, Pogba, Varane, Cavani) else they would very quickly lose their profitability.
There was no option for them to just keep the transfer money and pocket it. It’s kinda like saying a cooperation could’ve saved 20m /year in advertising/marketing and just pocketed those 20mil.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
That's a false dichotomy. Even under the Glazers we have spent enough money to be competitive against state backed clubs
This is a myth. Firstly as far as I know we have spent less than City. But much more importantly the money has been spent with a commercial agenda in mind and that's why the money exists. To put it another way there is a reason we paid Ronaldo half a million a week, and it wasn't football. If we want to compete with CIty we need the same kind of morally bankrupt plutocratic owners or some third option beside American sports franchise parasites.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Absolutely. This is the way things are going these days. People will only be happy if the club is sold to UNICEF. Even then, they'll find something.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Fair enough on the not winning the division thing but you are slightly off on Pat Bowlen ownership time frame. He stepped down in 2014 and they had just got to the SB the year earlier. Got their asses kicked but won it all in 2015. Then the problems started.

I just want someone like him that has a deep desire to win, is willing to spend the money it takes to do that but knows when to step back and let the management team do their thing.

Actually, I just want United back to competing for trophies every year, so whatever leads to that works for me - really hope it isn’t oil money though, makes it harder to be proud of how it all gets done.
And I would say that you are completely off the mark. The Bowlen family sold the franchise this summer, Bowlen wasn't directly involved since around 2010 and he has little to do with the last SuperBowl, Elway was the one in charge at the time. But anyway he was generally a good owner but not the best, that award likely goes to the Rooney family.

Status
Not open for further replies.