Club Sale | It’s done!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BarstoolProphet

Chelsea would’ve said the same about Tuchel in his first season

I agree it’s all rosy how, but what about when another flavour of the month comes a long during a dip in form?
Tuchel has history with creating friction between him and upper management, there's no evidence that ETH shares that trait.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
Of course, I do. I hate the owners. It's fine to both dislike where we are and where we might go. I understand why is such an offensive position.
Right well you were pretty strong in claiming "most supporters aren't from Manchester" so they don't understand. Man United is a global club, we're not even owned by anyone from Europe let alone Manchester. The local area/population matters very little in the grand scheme of things

stevoc

I agree, I just don't like the hypocrisy with the selective outrage and good spot with Aeroflot, I didn't think of that.
Here's the problem with that term, unless you are outraged at every evil in the world or at the other end of the extreme and don't give a feck about anything then like 99.9% of people you'll fall in the middle.

So basically everyone is guilty of selective outrage.

Smores

Right well you were pretty strong in claiming "most supporters aren't from Manchester" so they don't understand. Man United is a global club, we're not even owned by anyone from Europe let alone Manchester. The local area/population matters very little in the grand scheme of things
Christ how arrogant can you get. Of course the local community matters.

MoskvaRed

The whole world is waking up to the fact Erik Ten Hag is putting himself into the discussions of best manager currently working in the world. Everyone in the game has taken notice of this, what an absolutely incredible impact he's had on this club. No one in their right mind would be looking to replace EtH, there isn't a name you could put forward that would probably intrigue a small fraction of the fanbase, let alone get them on board with replacing him.
The flipside of EtH’s burgeoning reputation is that he is unlikely to put up with interference in the team as he knows he’d get another top job elsewhere. Let’s hope the new owners (whoever they are) have the good sense to keep the current structure but with more money pumped in.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
They did the same thing with EtH last year. There weren't any mainstream journalists pushing for EtH, or writing glowing articles on him, because they knew they had zero connection to him, and they wanted the guy they knew and were friendly with in Pochettino.
Indeed. Which is why I am suspicious as hell about this propaganda coming from the Athletic 'journalists'.

Spoony

The People's President
I thought there'd be more noise from other interested parties. I think Qatar have got this though. They seem desperate.
QSI has history of never keeping a manager for more than 3 years
Huge worry. I also hope we don't turn into the footballing equivalent of the Haarlem Globetrotters.

romufc

I find it very strange that people are not understanding the context.

They have won everything domestically, its not a challenge. PSG's only target now is CL, which is why managers get sacked, failure to deliver in the CL.

With United, the way the premier league is, he will be judged on trophies.

United sack a manager every 3 years if they fail to challenge too.

Spark

No evidence but this is football. Things do change pretty fast. 2 months of bad results with someone like a Klopp available and you never know with new trigger happy owners
There is absolutely no chance that Klopp goes to United at any stage in his career.

My main hope is that Manchester United is run like the mature, top-of -world-football-on-and-off-the-pitch, club that it became by 2008. We've stagnated in recent years, but clear the debt and build on the foundations that are already there and the ownership shouldn't have too much of an impact (unless they're leaching like the current incumbents). Part of that is not firing ETH after a run of bad form - which I'm convinced we'll have at some point, as it's only natural really.

All these other clubs that have been bought for peanuts by either oligarchs or actual nations were all blank slates. You can't buy Bayern Munich, Real Madrid, Barcelona - ignoring the fact that you literally cannot buy them - and do what's been done at Chelsea, City or PSG (and now Newcastle). Same is for United. So fingers crossed we don't get a madman in charge because it could be carnage.

dove

Not this again. Nobody is being like "uh oh, it's almost 3 years now with this manager, time's up". That duration of time is more than a lot of managers deserve.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
fecking hell.

Strootman's Finger

Chelsea would’ve said the same about Tuchel in his first season

I agree it’s all rosy how, but what about when another flavour of the month comes a long during a dip in form?
He rode his new manager bounce through a knock out competition, but given a full season, they barely held on to fourth while United, Arsenal and Tottenham seemed to go out of their way to avoid top 4. And they played boring football under Tuchel. He's just another run of the mill german manager.

MTF

No top manager wants to go to PSG. Tuchel was the best they had. They ran into their own different problems.
Tuchel on being manager at PSG:

"Sometimes, it is very easy, sometimes, it is a big challenge, because a club like PSG, has a number of influences in it aside from the focused interest of the team… I only love football. And in a club like this, it is not always just football.”

But yeah, I'm sure that the same owners will have a different attitude at Utd, because reasons... :rolleyes:

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
Has there been any credible reporting on potential American bids for the club? The apparent lack of news from that direction is making me think there may be a surprise or two in store over the coming weeks.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons

"Sometimes, it is very easy, sometimes, it is a big challenge, because a club like PSG, has a number of influences in it aside from the focused interest of the team… I only love football. And in a club like this, it is not always just football.”

But yeah, I'm sure that the same owners will have a different attitude at Utd, because reasons... :rolleyes:
I’m sure Tuchel would have even harsher words to say about the non oil state latest owner of Chelsea. Obviously not arguing in favour of Qatar ownership but disagree with the notion that a non oil state owner gives more freedom to a manager.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist

Yeah a big club has a lot of sponsorships and marketing influences. That's nothing new. Up to the manager to deal with them. If you perform on the pitch, have the backing of the fans, then you'll keep your spot as a manager, simple as that.

PSG chop and change managers because simply it's an impossible task. Winning the league is less than easy, it's not a competition at all. Nobody cares about Ligue 1. So it gets 0 focus. 0 praise. Only loads of criticism if they fail to do bare minimum, naturally. Their only way of measuring success is CL success, which is more luck based. And with that in mind, the top managers just don't want to go there. They'll go to Bayern, Madrid, Barca, City, Liverpool, United, Chelsea, hell even Spurs have better manager attraction than PSG does. So they just swap around from one meh coach to the next looking for someone who gets them at a high enough level. Tuchel was closest, but he fell out with board at Dortmund and Chelsea too. So there's more to it with him.

Kinsella

Copy & Paste Merchant
Has there been any credible reporting on potential American bids for the club? The apparent lack of news from that direction is making me think there may be a surprise or two in store over the coming weeks.
I’ve seen Michael Dell name’s mentioned on Twitter, but nothing’s been verified. I’d say someone pulled his name out of their arse.

MTF

I’m sure Tuchel would have even harsher words to say about the non oil state latest owner of Chelsea. Obviously not arguing in favour of Qatar ownership but disagree with the notion that a non oil state owner gives more freedom to a manager.
I'm just specifically countering the notion that Qatari owners would necessarily "appoint top football men" and "leave EtH to do his job", which is what people claim because it's the logical thing. I agree it would be the logical thing, but there's no evidence in their track record that they favor that approach vs a more short term and ego driven one.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
He fell out with the board at Dortmund too. Tuchel is just different.

Bosws87

You tell that to all the local lads and lasses that were in Munich or outside old trafford for the Munich Air Disaster anniversary.

Rightnr

He fell out with the board at Dortmund too. Tuchel is just different.
And at Chelsea last year :lol: . The guy has a short fuse and using him as an example here is hardly credible.

It's like using Conte to show a club does not back their manager. Their personalities are abrasive.

Herman Toothrot

Yeah, it matters very little to you and a lot to me. That's exactly what I'm saying.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I'm just specifically countering the notion that Qatari owners would necessarily "appoint top football men" and "leave EtH to do his job", which is what people claim because it's the logical thing. I agree it would be the logical thing, but there's no evidence in their track record that they favor that approach vs a more short term and ego driven one.
Nor is there any evidence that a different owner won’t be similarly interfering. Hence my mention of Boehly. Who’s probably interfered with the football side of things at his new club way more than any other owner or any other big club. The Saudi owners at Newcastle have been positively low key in comparison.

Rightnr

Yeah, it matters very little to you and a lot to me. That's exactly what I'm saying.
I think there's two things here.

Local fans are huge for the football side of the club. Our away support is incredible and once we have a glimmer of hope, OT is insane as a home ground. In that sense, I agree home (or rather match-going) fans matter more because they're the life and soul of the club and the whole vibe around it.

However, on the commercial side (the sale is a commercial decision), it's bigger than that, so unless someone like Ratcliffe can come up with the money and commit to not saddling us with debt repayments, directly or through INEOS, he cannot be the preferred option in my eyes.

stevoc

That's a horrible take mate. I'm not a local fan myself but Manchester and the local community are a hugely important part of United's history. And have contributed immensely towards making United the great club that it is.

Judas

Open to offers
Another new low for this thread. Jesus Christ, I’d expect this opinion from a Glazer.

Status
Not open for further replies.