Club Sale | It’s done!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drawfull

I think it’s fanciful in the extreme.
Didn’t Rashfords agent meet with PSG not too long ago and ETH was on a shortlist for PSG.

When people think of these scenarios there is a very real world example out there in fact three.

City, Newcastle and PSG. There isn’t a single case of a manager or player not going to or quitting those clubs for the same reasons.
I didn't say it wasn't fanciful that people may quit, and I did put Eth, Rash, whoever. The point is that it's not unlikely that there are members of the squad/senior staff that are morally opposed to a state-backed bid of this nature and if they did voice opposition - or more - how long term do we look?

For what it's worth, I voted in the other thread 'fine, with some reservations', I guess of which this is one.

Tarrou

We aren't talking about owning Utd vs other form of investment, it's owning Utd vs owning Tampa Bay Buccaneers. If the former is projected to grow faster than the latter, an equity swap makes sense.

Owning sports team is more about prestige than anything else anyway. Had they sold us for, say, 2 bn pounds, way back in 2010-11 when there were rumours of Saudi circling, that money would've likely tripled or quadrupled by now just putting them into tech stocks, but that's not how they operate.
yeah it would make sense

but then, so would putting that money in lots of different things by liquidating the asset which accounts for 80%+ of your net worth (which is what they're almost certainly doing now)

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Since there's a few fans for whom the moral implications of a Qatari buy-out would see them stop following the club, so for those that do support the Qatari bid without any reservations what do you do with this hypothetical:

t's not beyond the realms of possibility that many of our first teams setups would be strongly against such ownership. Let's say EtH (or Rashford, whatever) is one of those that is morally-outraged by the prospect of a successful Qatari bid and if/when it happens, he resigns. What then?
A side note: how many CR7 fans have fallen by the wayside due to their moral outrage?

Telsim

If this happens it will be absolute carnage in the stands and outside Old Trafford on the regular
I'm sure they are trembling at the thought of some chants, flares, and posters, which they can neither see nor hear. They better sell up before people get really serious and bring out he big guns - green and gold scarfs.

Last edited:

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Joel and Avram's wet dream. They are not going anywhere, are they?
it would be acceptable to the most important supporters as well. It will keep us away from state funding.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
For that valuation to go to 10 bn they are going to have to put in a atleast around a 1 bn or more just for the stadium and facilities and they don't have that money and given they tried and failed to attract minority investment, i don't think anyone's willing to give it to them.
Its not the stadium that would raise the valuation so much as a combination of TV contract money, United's growing global brand, and inflation. There hasn't been much investment since the Glazers bought 18 years ago and yet look at the difference in valuation from then to now, and that's despite a decade of mediocrity.

Telsim

These guys are bigger vultures than the Glazers.

They are absolute scum. And the conditions of their financial "help" are often brutal. 15% on 600 million loan. The Chinese owner of Milan had a debt of 300 million and was paying 32 million in instalments (one instalment). Glazers and Elliot would be an unholy alliance the likes of which haven't been seen and it will spell the final destruction the club.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
They are absolute scum. And the conditions of their financial "help" are often brutal. 15% on 600 million loan. The Chinese owner of Milan had a debt of 300 million and was paying 32 million in installments (one installment). Glazers and Elliot would be an unholy alliance the likes of which haven't been seen and it will spell the final destruction the club.
Sounds like they see the Glazers as vulnerable prey. I doubt the Glazers will fall for this. I fully expect them to sell the club.

devilish

Sounds like they'd feck the Glazers up as well.
In some ways they will. In other ways they won't. Elliott will give the Glazers the excuse not to spend on transfers and to sell OT

Kush

Hyperbolic and will post where they like!!
They are absolute scum. And the conditions of their financial "help" are often brutal. 15% on 600 million loan. The Chinese owner of Milan had a debt of 300 million and was paying 32 million in instalments (one instalment). Glazers and Elliot would be an unholy alliance the likes of which haven't been seen and it will spell the final destruction the club.
I'd like to think Glazers aren't complete idiots to fall for this.

MDFC Manager

Since there's a few fans for whom the moral implications of a Qatari buy-out would see them stop following the club, so for those that do support the Qatari bid without any reservations what do you do with this hypothetical:

t's not beyond the realms of possibility that many of our first teams setups would be strongly against such ownership. Let's say EtH (or Rashford, whatever) is one of those that is morally-outraged by the prospect of a successful Qatari bid and if/when it happens, he resigns. What then?
Think as we saw with the world cup, everyone eventually falls in line. And in the case of club football, there's big money at stake for the players and coaches.

Marcelinho87

Sounds like they see the Glazers as vulnerable prey. I doubt the Glazers will fall for this. I fully expect them to sell the club.
I don't think they see Glazers like that, they likely run in the same circles.

They see United as a fruit ripe for the picking is what I think.

NK86

Which world do you live in? You really think footballers give a shite on who is owning their team? They are professionals who are paid to play and entertain. Will you quit your job if Qatar or Saudi take over your company?

Telsim

I'd like to think so, but with the parasites nothing is certain. Joel and Avram would need a stupid amount of money to buyout their siblings. The amount of money Elliot won't provide. But then again, they might come to an alternative solution I'm not aware of. These abominable vultures have keen senses. If they are circling around, they smell an opportunity.

Drawfull

Which world do you live in? You really think footballers give a shite on who is owning their team? They are professionals who are paid to play and entertain. Will you quit your job if Qatar or Saudi take over your company?
I think some people have principles yeah and by extension, 'give a shite'. It would be naive to think otherwise; just because they're not shouting it from the rooftops doesn't mean they don't exist.

I wouldn't work for a Saudi or Qatari owned company, no, but that's easy to say as I retired 10 years ago.

dal

Ratcliffe could sell Ineos if he loves the club as much as he claims. Not sure how long that would take though.

devilish

I think that Eliott is being used as putin's version of the nuke threat just in case Qatar/SJR lowballed them. In fact the rumour came out around the time when the pair were shitting on the present administration and once the Saudi bid rumour threat ended.

However there are just 2 official bid on the table and if one bails out (ex fan pressure) then the other might lowball them thus triggering the threat to become reality. So be careful what you wish for

Drawfull

Think as we saw with the world cup, everyone eventually falls in line. And in the case of club football, there's big money at stake for the players and coaches.
I don't quite agree. It's one thing to bin off the opportunity to play for your country in a major tournament - perhaps the only opportunity - than to play for years for a club who's apparent values might not be strictly in line with your own.

Matt851

Have to say, I would prefer the glazers staying in charge than the qataris take over. Would be shit but at least I could continue to support the club without it being somewhat tainted

Surprised by how quickly sentiment on here has changed from hatred of the man city ownership to many wanting us to become the same

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I don't quite agree. It's one thing to bin off the opportunity to play for your country in a major tournament - perhaps the only opportunity - than to play for years for a club who's apparent values might not be strictly in line with your own.
And that's the key part. A very large amount of people of this planet have conservative and religious values that are in line with ME values. Whether you are talking about Europe, North America, South America, Africa or Asia. Just look around and attention to who people vote for, what type of rhetoric attracts people?

Drawfull

And that's the key part. A very large amount of people of this planet have conservative and religious values that are in line with ME values. Whether you are talking about Europe, North America, South America, Africa or Asia. Just look around and attention to who people vote for, what type of rhetoric attracts people?
I'm not sure I understand other than to say, yes obviously, but that also means the converse is true.

I guess I was calling out (without saying so explicitly) those that seem to be a 'win at all costs' mentality regardless of them holding any position on any prospective owners. I don't get that.

Cloud7

They aren't a state though, which is ultimately the most important thing, right?

Cloud7

Well there is a 3rd option in fairness. :lol:
There is but I feel like if the Glazers aren't inclined to sell to Qatar and prefer this option, they might not be any more eager to sell to JR either.

I would be interested to know how many people would choose this option (Elliot and the Glazers) vs Qatar

Status
Not open for further replies.