Club Sale | It’s done!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slysi17

The 2 of you need to keep this civil or stop debating. Leave the personal snipes out of it
To be honest I didn't start the insults. He didn't need to say the undies comment. That was out of order and frankly childish. I will show respect when the other poster does. My first comment wasn't an insult either. Not many people are clued up on finance etc. The poster turned into insults.

stw2022

It will need someone with deep pockets if we're ruling out another LBO. Not sure when even that was decided to be honest.

To be honest I didn't start the insults. He didn't need to say the undies comment. That was out of order and frankly childish. I will show respect when the other poster does. My first comment wasn't an insult either. Not many people are clued up on finance etc. The poster turned into insults.
Aye, asking a poster if he’s even educated in your first post to him = respectful.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Seriously? Have you followed the conversation and decided I’m the one to warn?

Before I even started to question his underpant decisions…..

his first post to me…

2nd….

3rd…

Seriously, have a read, I tried to debate respectful enough despite the fella questioning my education, then calling me awful. He’s finished off with a lovely post below this one also.
To be fair he might have read your posts before

red thru&thru

Exactly! Just embrace it!

People forget we’ve already sold our soul to the devil with these parasites and almost did with Murdoch back in 1998!
People have their own barometers for the moral compass.

I passionately don't want Ambani or the other guy from India to own us. However, if they do, will I stop supporting United? NOT a chance! And I'm also not going to judge other people on their views if they do want them. I don't have to agree with them but I'll respect them.

stw2022

I can't see what a flat-lining of the club's valuation is based on other than deciding its the only way that the assertion that we couldn't possibly by bought by anyone other than a state-funded enterprise make sense

Bert_

Exactly! Just embrace it!

People forget we’ve already sold our soul to the devil with these parasites and almost did with Murdoch back in 1998!
Yeah, supporters should think back and remember when we all clamoured for Murdoch and then the Glazer's takeover bids.

C'est Moi Cantona

This is the thing that worries me the most, the Glazers have total control of the bid that would be accepted, that assuming they get one that matches their digusting valuation of course. They're 100 % the sort of people who will accept a bid that is going to be a disaster for us, just because it's a few million more than one that will be good for us.

The Chelsea thing winds me up, they got all the upside of been bankrolled for 15 odd years, and when it all went wrong non of the fallout, then got themsleves a hand picked new owner who had to guarantee £1.5 Billion of new investment for them, they were never in any danger at any point, because the government couldn't let it happen.

If the FA can't (or won't) step in if there's any danger we get lumbered with another owner that is going to rob us blind again then the government have to, if not then I give up.

Ultimately United is now far too big for their pockets.
In a nutshell yes, it’s outgrown them. In normal circumstances I think they’d attempt to saddle the club with more debt for the infrastructure and ground improvements required, but it’s a bad time for lending and an absolutely horrendous time for them due to fan anger.
It just makes more sense when only Joel wants ownership to cash in now, they’ve had a great ride and will make billions on their original investment.

Tarrou

I can't see what a flat-lining of the club's valuation is based on other than deciding its the only way that the assertion that we couldn't possibly by bought by anyone other than a state-funded enterprise make sense
its possible, just less likely

investing isn’t binary and no serious investor tries to time the top or bottom perfectly

it’s about probabilities and risk

Telsim

If Liverpool get bought out by oil money, while we get sold into indentured servitude to another bunch of US "investors", I will stop watching football.

stw2022

its possible, just less likely

investing isn’t binary and no serious investor tries to time the top or bottom perfectly

it’s about probabilities and risk
It isn't a risk though the only doubt is by how much the asset will increase and by what rate. Its like investment in property isn't a risk as over time the market always increases. It had piques and troughs but a house that declines 10% in value this year is going to be still worth far more than it was 10 years ago

TrebleChamp99

Supports Liverpool
No one considering Abu Dhabi private sector?
Already own one half of Manchester, doubt they give two shits on the rivalry and they could redevelop that half of the city and basically own it.

Wouldn’t discount it as nonsense if the Saudis are considering it.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
I’m not sure where football goes from here, certainly not back to what it should be where your an Ipswich town and get Bobby Robson or Notts Forest and get Brian Clough or a decrepit Manchester United and get Fergie. It looks like as supporters of any club we might have to just fight for a place in the top half of the league in the hope we are the next to be bought by an Arab state.

My ideal would be owners who invest in the stadium and facilities, look to increase revenue and allow the club to fund itself without taking out 1billion to pay owners debts. The big question is would we be able to compete with nothing clubs like City and Newcastle with this business model or do we have to join them to simply compete?

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
:lol:

Crackers

greasy ginfers
You didn't need to call him uneducated either....

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
In a nutshell yes, it’s outgrown them. In normal circumstances I think they’d attempt to saddle the club with more debt for the infrastructure and ground improvements required, but it’s a bad time for lending and an absolutely horrendous time for them due to fan anger.
It just makes more sense when only Joel wants ownership to cash in now, they’ve had a great ride and will make billions on their original investment.
Of £0 :(

Slysi17

You didn't need to call him uneducated either....
Well he wasn't understanding what I was saying and I was getting frustated. This poster doesn't listen to any other persons point of view. He did it with Tarrou as well. Anyway, I will keep it civil.

Mr. Robot

Yes I also found the undies comment very offensive and crude.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Yes I also found the undies comment very offensive and crude.
I think I'm happy to have missed this... there was quite enough unpleasantness in the Ronaldo thread to keep us going til the end of the season...

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Depends on the desire from both sides to get it done and the buyer to prove they have the money. Couple of months, could be done before the end of the season
showing they have money should be the easy part, I guess as not many can pretend to have the sort of cash being talked about. Michael Knighton, anyone? :cool: :nono:

crossy1686

career ending
showing they have money should be the easy part, I guess as not many can pretend to have the sort of cash being talked about. Michael Knighton, anyone? :cool: :nono:
It is if you’re a state or investment hedge fund but an individual or company may have to take leverage against their stock or shares owned, which takes time to set a valuation if the stock is volatile.

Tarrou

It isn't a risk though the only doubt is by how much the asset will increase and by what rate. Its like investment in property isn't a risk as over time the market always increases. It had piques and troughs but a house that declines 10% in value this year is going to be still worth far more than it was 10 years ago
there is always risk, the only question is how much

your logic only makes sense if you didn’t have other investment opportunities to choose from

RedDevilRoshi

I agree with Gary Nevile. New owners do need to communicate what their plans are. No argument from me.
New owners can say this, that and the other which will no doubt have the whole fanbase in excitement. But actually going through with those said plans is the telling factor for me. Actions always speak louder than words.

Doctor Thrax

Supports
BVB, Roma and United.
It’s widely agreed within top flight football that 50% wage to turnover ratio is healthy, if not the gold standard
Then I'd recommend re-reading my prior post carefully, because Man Utd's "wage to turnover ratio" in 2020, 21 and 22 lies at 55.8%, 65.29% and 65.87%.
But how high you want this key figure to be depends on what you expect.

We know they are absolute bollocks. We know City pay double wages due to the footy leaks stuff.
Where can I find the correct data that you refer to?

Does Berkshire Hathaway ever diversify into sports? Buy an undervalued quality asset, completely your field here Warren!
Berkshire probably won't. But as I have already mentioned, Howard Marks' Oaktree Capital is interested in investing into European football clubs.

I've read the book "The Most Important Thing" by Marks, which is really a good read and a must-read among value investors.

"Marks is admired in the investment community for his "memos", which detail his investment strategies and insight into the economy and are posted publicly on the Oaktree website. He has also published 3 books on investing.[2][3] According to Warren Buffett, "When I see memos from Howard Marks in my mail, they're the first thing I open and read. I always learn something, and that goes double for his book."

Src: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Howard_Marks_(investor)

I really like to advocate for Oaktree Capital!

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
And you may well be right, my personal belief is that we’ll have a valuation close to 15bn in 15-20 years.
And I agree with the thought that the valuation will increase, not sure by what extent but the business will grow. There are still many avenues to explore. The glazers just don’t have the will or the cash to keep going. The ESL as it was proposed was their last throw of the dice

stw2022

In five years the expectation of a £200-£250m investment just to keep pace will become the normal. Nobody who needed to leverage a £750m buy out, albeit 16 years ago, could possibly afford that. The Glazers aren't cash rich, they're asset rich

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
And you may well be right, my personal belief is that we’ll have a valuation close to 15bn in 15-20 years.
Call me crazy but I honestly think it’s going to go for 10-12bn+ this time. It’s going to be a bidding war between people where money doesn’t really matter.

We are the jewel in the EPL’s crown and numerous parties have been waiting for us to come on sale for a long long time. Some got impatient and bought the likes of City and Newcastle but this is a once in a generation opportunity to buy the real deal. It’s not going to be between 2 parties, there is going to be 4+ and the investment groups will be out of the running from early on when they realise there will be little scope left for growth and returns.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
US investor would be utterly underwhelming
Does it matter where the investor is from?
As long as the investor is not a human rights violator and guarantees investment in the club/infrastructure, there should be no problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.