Club Sale | It’s done!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
Real Madrid star Toni Kroos insists the European Super League DESERVES a second chance - and claims the controversial breakaway competition would bring ‘enthusiasm’ and ‘passion’ back into the game
  • Toni Kroos believes that a European Super League will get the go ahead
  • The German midfielder backs the idea as it will bring 'passion' back to the game
  • A22 revealed plans for a revised European Super League earlier this month
  • Kroos also slams UEFA's Nations League as a competition that wasn't needed
Oh dear god, it never ends well when the germans start basing everything on passion and enthusiasm!

Real Name

It won't really split the fanbase at all.

There'll be a minority group who won't like it/be conflicted but most of that group will eventually accept and live with it. There will be a tiny part of that group who will throw their toys out of the pram and follow through with threats to cease being supporters of the club. A really tiny minority of a minority. They will be irrelevant.
How do you know if they'll be a tiny minority?

Gums

So just to be clear, despite having a moral compass you will still celebrate all the successes we have in the future off the back of the Qatari money?
I do, too. I’d rather United wasn’t bought by any regime. But United have been the single thing outside of my family and friends that I have enjoyed (and loathed) for more than 40 years. United are a massive part of my life and I’m not willing to give it up.

This is where the UK government should step in and govern and prevent unfit buyers from taking over. Wishful thinking, probably.

We all have individual morals, and I try to act in line with my morals in my everyday choices. Things I can directly influence.

Maybe United is my weak spot, similar to the way many highly educated people still choose to believe in a God whose followers continue to leave a trail of blood, hate, and oppression in their wake.

HarryP

How do you know if they'll be a tiny minority?
Because it's obvious. Look at the demographic of football fans and think about what they care about most.

Also look at the other precedents. How many Newcastle fans stopped supporting the team when the Saudis took over? Hardly any and we certainly don't hear about them, do we?

Don't think United fans are fundamentally different at core. They certainly are not.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
OK?

What are people supposed to do? There isn’t a ballot like system that allows United fans to vote for the benevolent billionaire of their choosing to acquire the club.

People have protested for like two decades for the club to be sold - surely at some point -recently or otherwise - it must have registered that this was the only/likely outcome with the way football went in 2008

You guys have been clocking double shifts to shame people over something they don’t have control over. Most people have resigned to the reality of things and are just hoping the club will be rid of debt and with some investment made to stadium - academy and general infrastructure - and then left to run itself.

that said, Mbappe on the left
Well said

Real Name

Because it's obvious. Look at the demographic of football fans and think about what they care about most.

Also look at the other precedents. How many Newcastle fans stopped supporting the team when the Saudis took over? Hardly any and we certainly don't hear about them, do we?

Don't think United fans are fundamentally different at core. They certainly are not.
Yeah makes sense tbh. It's similar to world cup, lots of people were saying they won't watch but they did. Of course its different when it's about the club who you support most of your life but still. Lots of fans will be unhappy though, myself included.

Viral United

I kind of want the Glazers to stay now. Seemingly this sale is going to split the whole fanbase and to be honest I can see it getting quite toxic on here regardless of who buys the club (if this thread is anything to go by). I think it would be better to just keep the Glazers, the whole of the fanbase is happy enough to just keep saying Glazers out and we keep on the trajectory we are on with Erik. Happy days!!
where's the fecking white text?

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Whitwell stated about 7k people had completed it on the podcast.
Yeah, that's not how you carry out a poll if you want to be serious. He also disparaged doing a poll on Twitter, implying people on there were less relevant. At least, it's not paywalled to his fans.

He's an arsekisser from the self-entitled football journalist strata and I hope he gets shut down with the new ownership.

Real Name

OK?

What are people supposed to do? There isn’t a ballot like system that allows United fans to vote for the benevolent billionaire of their choosing to acquire the club.

People have protested for like two decades for the club to be sold - surely at some point -recently or otherwise - it must have registered that this was the only/likely outcome with the way football went in 2008

You guys have been clocking double shifts to shame people over something they don’t have control over. Most people have resigned to the reality of things and are just hoping the club will be rid of debt and with some investment made to stadium - academy and general infrastructure - and then left to run itself.

that said, Mbappe on the left
Can he play in a midfield 2?

Verminator

I've been a supporter since the 70s.
I've held every owner in low regard, including when we were a PLC, which I disliked the least.
There was always a reason they were holding the club back.

I know they came from different places but, City, PSG fans seem to be happy with their owners, if not universally, close enough for it to make little difference.

I honestly don't think I would prefer an ownership model that takes money out, or services debt, over one that lets us spend what we earn.
I wouldn't want a galactico squad by virtue of having the richest owners, just one that reflects our worth.

Do I care about potential negatives of sports washing, and being associated with any wrongdoings from new owners?
Yes.

What am I doing about the rights of people in any country that may provide our new owners?
Absolutely sweet FA.
Same as most people with reservations along those lines.

Surely, if one cares that much, one does so regardless of if they are looking to buy your club?
How deep can one's concerns really be, if one does nothing the rest of the time?

So, despite hypocritical grumbling, I'd rather be state sponsored.
Sorry if that bothers anyone.

Last edited:

Grande

Nah you can't start just because it's United. If it was a smaller team no one would care.

Rules are supposed to be equal
You write as if rules and laws are eternal, but in fact they are constantly made, and constantly changed - in order to make them work as intended, to improve how the social world functions. In a country who have death penalty for speaking critically of the head of state, we probably agree it’s right to expect the law to apply the same for the vice head of state as for a penniless farmer. At the same time I think it’s equally or even more important to force a change in the law so as to remove the death penalty, and also make it accepted in the law to criticize the head of state. So if the Vice head of state actually criticizes the head of state for something, his corrupt and cruel laws, for instance - do you suggest that the head of state (perhaps realizing the cruelty of his current law?) should in fact change the laws and abolish the death penalty for criticism, or do you want him to execute the vice head of state and keep on executing all protesters in order to ensure, eternally, that everyone are treated equally?

If you think about that making a law is one thing, implementing a new guideline for how leniently or rigorously a law should be interpreted is another. And still, exactly the same logic goes for new interpretations or new guidelines as for new laws.

saying that the moment has passed for creating better policies just doesn’t make sense.

Member 125398

I've held every owner in low regard, including when we were a PLC, which I disliked the least.

I know they came from different places but, City, PSG fans seem to be happy with their owners, if not universally, close enough for it to make little difference.

I honestly don't think I would prefer an ownership model that takes money out, or services debt, over one that lets us spend what we earn.
I wouldn't want a galactico squad by virtue of having the richest owners, just one that reflects our worth.

Do I care about potential negatives of sports washing, and being associated with any wrongdoings from new owners?
Yes.

What am I doing about the rights of people in any country that may provide our new owners?
Absolutely sweet FA.

Surely, if one cares that much, one does so regardless of if they are looking to buy your club?
How deep can one's concerns really be, if one does nothing the rest of the time?

Sorry.
Why be sorry, that's fine. There is no correct respnonse to all this, it's a very personal decision which should be respected whatever it is.

Giggsyking

How can I take a poll seriously by a journalist writing this? How is that not subtle racism and agenda in their journalism? This is disgusting, their true coulours are showing. Stereotyping arabs.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins

How can I take a poll seriously by a journalist writing this? How is that not subtle racism and agenda in their journalism? This is disgusting, their true coulours are showing. Stereotyping arabs.
It is towels in the case of supporters? Blokes in Newcastle hardly had ready access to the actual head wear the Arab states wear?

Appletonred

If the new owners are acting in the best interests of the football club and the community, as well as clearing all the debt, then they are undeniably good custodians of the club which is something Utd have
not had for the best part of 20 years, largely due to corporate greed.

Revan

Assumptionman
That's less than the current share price.
To be fair, the share price right now is inflated based on the news that the club is gonna sold for 6B (i.e., many people bought shares when the club was valued at 2.5B-4B, so since the news of it getting sold came, with the hope of selling them for more when the club gets sold).

If for whatever reasons, the bid fails, the club's stock will go down.

Tarrou

not really following, isn't he just referencing when City fans do it?

Yik

It is towels in the case of supporters? Blokes in Newcastle hardly had ready access to the actual head wear the Arab states wear?
Writing it like that, without context makes it sound worse, imo.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine

Yes.

Absolutely sweet FA.

Sorry.
Not sure how fans can change a deeply entrenched regime who are staunch in their principles.

So because the average person can't actively change these regime's we are to sit back and not care about these issues?
There's plenty of ways people can and do assist with these issues, so to say people are doing nothing is churlish and wrong.

I'm pretty sure most on here would stand up for equal rights for women, immigrant workers, same sex couples etc.

The fact that people associated with these regime's are looking to buy the club as a way of legitimising their regime's principles is something that can't be ignored.

It will be interesting to see if any demonstrations happen within the ground on these principles should a Qatar/Saudi takeover manifest.

M4YON

Really? You do realise that he's describing the possible actions of fans imitating Arab head scafs with tea towels... something both Citeh and Newcastle fans did.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
To be fair, the share price right now is inflated based on the news that the club is gonna sold for 6B (i.e., many people bought shares when the club was valued at 2.5B-4B, so since the news of it getting sold came, with the hope of selling them for more when the club gets sold).

If for whatever reasons, the bid fails, the club's stock will go down.
Due to the market having no confidence whatsoever in the Glazers.

G_and_T

I am not excited about the prospect of Qatar owning Utd. Most fans seem to be excited about them as owners because they assume they will bring in lots of money. I think that's greed talking, and it just comes back to bite you. There is nothing to suggest the group know much about running a sports team or a huge commercial entity like MU. Also, I genuinely feel uneasy about being associated with a country that has such a poor record towards human rights. Look at what happened at Chelsea... everyone knew about Russian corruption and what Putin was up to. Overnight it became a huge issue. It will be the same thing here. From a business POV and an ethical POV it doesn't feel right to me and I wish more people would look past the money. (At the moment, what money they are bringing in is purely speculation as I don't think any business plan has been made public)

Reactions: oates

Abdullah7

Well fair enough, I did some of it was rationalising, but people on here are going to have been far more exposed to different arguments surrounding Qatar in the last few weeks rather than if they just paid attention to the general media which is basically just "Qatar bad". I've said that I agree they're bad with the things they do, but they are a very religious country and when we still based our society off of books from the dark ages, we weren't all that progressive either

I would hope them investing in the west is the start of a move that ends with them more culturally aligned with us and some of our values, it has in other countries, like Saudi Arabia, where there has been some real progress on womens rights, and its far from perfect but it's going to be slow, we legalised homosexuality in 1967 and it was 2013 before we legalised gay marriageroken
If it's not broken then don't fix it. Al Quran is adaptable for every age.

Our society being blooming in Saudi is an indicator for the whole gulf countries being progressive in their development. However, there are some values here are set to be for ever. It's not an issue and our people have been raised to grasp on to it. It's not a stumbling block as our ancestors have it done before. Our culture is being modernized and acceptable to some of the Westren hype that doesn't clash with it. Football is the best example and thus it was created to bring cultures together. The royal families of our countries surround themselves with the smartest people that we have in our society. Some of which have lived abroad and have tested these hypes and brought back what's useful to the region. Now, where we have the intention of the whole world we want you to see why we hold dear to these values not to abandon them. This is our massage and it'll always be like that.

Nothing, short of hard cash, will convince me you are not a paid shill.
Why are you hating on me? ;)

Last edited:

Fluctuation0161

We as United fans cant say nothing, the way we have wasted money on players in terms of wages.

Player power was a big problem at United, only now that has changed.

With PSG, they had no alternative if they wanted to keep Mbappe.

At least now, if we are challenging, players will want to come for the challenge.
Like I said, I was never talking about money with that point. So wages are irrelevant.

The player power given to Mbappe exceeds anything United have done. And like you said, it was even a problem at United.

Point is, do these guys know how to run a football club other than to throw money at it? Or do they only want big names for sportswashing purposes, almost like Woodward did, which don't work well together.

Yik

not really following, isn't he just referencing when City fans do it?
Actually reading that again, its definitely not the most appropriate thing to say. Especially since he follows up with talking about principles and morals. Makes it read as though wearing that headdress and associating with Arab culture in any way is diabolical or something.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine

Have you actually read the article?

He's referencing the Newcastle fans who turned up on mass after their Saudi takeover with tea towels, actual fecking tea towels wrapped round their heads.

It's neither racist nor low brow, he's stating something that actually happened!!

Nori-

Out of interest what's the longest ever thread on this website? I can see this getting a 1000+ pages by the time a deal is done.

Status
Not open for further replies.