Club Sale | It’s done!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
Why is he teaming up with an American bank? Is he the Middle Eastern Glazer?
No it's just for financial advice on how to structure the deal apparently. Ben Jacobs mentioned how the entire process was designed for Americans, could be why both SJR and Qatar have sought American advice.

RORY65

Are you therefore going to start comparing car manufacturing companies as being the same the heads of state in countries like North Korea?

You're just using ridiculous whataboutery to make your point valid.
It's also quite the take to be rightly concerned by environmental issues caused by Ineos and then support a bid from a state where revenues exceeding 50% of GDP comes from oil and gas.

Sanchez7

He isn't teaming up with Bank of America. Typically you need banks to do perform due diligence, financing (even if he has the money) etc. Bit like you would hire a solicitor for a house purchase.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Are you therefore going to start comparing car manufacturing companies as being the same the heads of state in countries like North Korea?

You're just using ridiculous whataboutery to make your point valid.
Or I'm look at all current bid and realizing that they all have things that I don't like?

Why would I only judge one bidder?

It's also quite the take to be rightly concerned by environmental issues caused by Ineos and then support a bid from a state where revenues exceeding 50% of GDP comes from oil and gas.
The issue being that I don't support the bid from the state that makes money out of gas.

Berbaclass

He isn't teaming up with Bank of America. Typically you need banks to do perform due diligence, financing (even if he has the money) etc. Bit like you would hire a solicitor for a house purchase.
Precisely, the whole process is very American centric too.

RORY65

Or I'm look at all current bid and realizing that they all have things that I don't like?

Why would I only judge one bidder?

The issue being that I don't support the bid from the state that makes money out of gas.
Fair enough. To be honest I'm hoping there's an alternative to the current bidders, not that anyone with sort of money will be good, but there's currently only 2 options which I guess is why people are comparing human rights and environmental abuses against environmental abuses.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Had someone argue today at OT that Radcliffe being a Chelsea fan is worse than the Qatari regime’s homophobic and misogynistic laws because they won’t affect us as fans.

Berbaclass

Would SJR only purchase the Glazer portion of the club so they can continue to take dividends? If they buy it all then that's not possible is it?

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
I can appreciate those who care more about football than who owns the club and therefore welcome the richest bidder, in this case Qatar.

I do not appreciate those who are doing mental gymnastics and are throwing out allegations of rasicm and whataboutism to defend the regime. This is what they want from buying United. There are thousands of Newcastle fans defending Saudi Arabia. There are tens of City fans defending the UAE. There will be millions of United fans defending Qatar just because they buy us nice things.

If we end up state owned I will be done supporting the club.
Excellent post.

Rawls

You'll never find, that microfilm of mine
Look at Nice and look at PSG. All this talk of SJR won’t do the same to Man Utd as he’s done to Nice, there’s no guarantees. I would say there is evidence to suggest the Qataris will back up what they say.

Lets say SJR wins the bid, does he load even more debt on his company for the stadium and training ground? Where’s the money coming from for that? Or is a loan taken on by the club?

If you wanted additional funding for transfers to be provided by the owners, SJR is less likely to do that.
PSG haven't exactly been well-run this last decade, a policy of signing Galacticós rather than smartly building a squad so whilst the Qataris might spend, there's no real evidence to suggest they will spend well.

Sure, it takes funding to build new infrastructure and that increases someone's liabilities. But new infrastructure is also a new asset so the new asset balances off against the new liability. People get all worked up over debt but borrowing to fund capital investment isn't an obvious problem as long as you're not building white elephants.

Berbaclass

Bank of America has been appointed as one of the advisers on Sheikh Jassim Bin Hamad J.J. Al Thani’s bid for Manchester United, joining a number of investment banks and investors involved in the race to take over the renowned football club. A son of Qatar’s former prime minister Hamad bin Jassim bin Jaber Al Thani, the royal family member is heading up what some see as the leading bid for Manchester United. A spokesperson for Sheikh Jassim confirmed the appointment of Bank of America. Sheikh Jassim, the chairman of Qatar Islamic Bank and a former board member of Credit Suisse Group AG, confirmed his bid to acquire the English Premier League club in an emailed statement Friday. The Qataris’ opening offer could value Manchester United, currently owned by the US Glazer family, at about £5 billion ($6 billion), Bloomberg News reported earlier. “The bid plans to return the club to its former glories both on and off the pitch, and — above all — will seek to place the fans at the heart of Manchester United Football Club once more,” Sheikh Jassim wrote in the statement.

Tincanalley

No one cares if you stop supporting the football club because of Qatar. Whoever comes in and buys the club must take the club to the next level. That’s all I care about. Why? Because you can’t expect angels coming into the club when they’re billionaires. No one; can get to that level of money without having a questionable past.
Negative. Why do you think all this PR blitz is going on? To persuade fans to buy in to bids. They need fans inside. Maybe you don’t care. That’s different.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Bank of America has been appointed as one of the advisers on Sheikh Jassim Bin Hamad J.J. Al Thani’s bid for Manchester United, joining a number of investment banks and investors involved in the race to take over the renowned football club. A son of Qatar’s former prime minister Hamad bin Jassim bin Jaber Al Thani, the royal family member is heading up what some see as the leading bid for Manchester United. A spokesperson for Sheikh Jassim confirmed the appointment of Bank of America. Sheikh Jassim, the chairman of Qatar Islamic Bank and a former board member of Credit Suisse Group AG, confirmed his bid to acquire the English Premier League club in an emailed statement Friday. The Qataris’ opening offer could value Manchester United, currently owned by the US Glazer family, at about £5 billion ($6 billion), Bloomberg News reported earlier. “The bid plans to return the club to its former glories both on and off the pitch, and — above all — will seek to place the fans at the heart of Manchester United Football Club once more,” Sheikh Jassim wrote in the statement.
thanks mate

red thru&thru

£5b. Wow.

Steffa Barnesa

Stunned how many United fans would be happy with Qatar, happy to see us become like City and Chelsea and PSG. This is Man United we're talking about - built not by distant billionaires but genius football men like Busby and Ferguson, through tragedy and triumph. Just as we might be coming back to a period of real, deserved success, to have it washed away and start winning with all the unearned financial advantages Qatar might bestow on us leaves a bad taste in the mouth.

Certain clubs' successes should come with an asterisk next to them. We've not, and never should be one of them.

Tincanalley

No, for some reasons mods believe it would be unfair. Although, to be honest, I have no flipping idea, why they think so. I have seen so many hilarious and useless polls on here, so not having this one seems really odd.
It’s too hot a political potato. Real pressure here. Probably best to steer clear for the moment

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Would SJR only purchase the Glazer portion of the club so they can continue to take dividends? If they buy it all then that's not possible is it?
The Glazers don't own the other shares. It is the Glazers shares he is wanting to buy. They were shares that went on the open market.

Tincanalley

Stunned how many United fans would be happy with Qatar, happy to see us become like City and Chelsea and PSG. This is Man United we're talking about - built not by distant billionaires but genius football men like Busby and Ferguson, through tragedy and triumph. Just as we might be coming back to a period of real, deserved success, to have it washed away and start winning with all the unearned financial advantages Qatar might bestow on us leaves a bad taste in the mouth.

Certain clubs' successes should come with an asterisk next to them. We've not, and never should be one of them.
Asterisk City FC?

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Fair enough. To be honest I'm hoping there's an alternative to the current bidders, not that anyone with sort of money will be good, but there's currently only 2 options which I guess is why people are comparing human rights and environmental abuses against environmental abuses.
I myself hope that there is someone that I can support. But in any case I will have to accept a decision that isn't mine.

cyberman

Opening bid of 5b?

Status
Not open for further replies.